PS3 Just Died, YLOD.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » PS3 just died, YLOD.
PS3 just died, YLOD.
 leo
By leo 2015-04-30 15:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Megrim said: »
So as to the File transfer. You can transfer all data via a thumb drive from 1 ps3 to another; however, you will not be able to play PS2 games on a non-backward compatible PS3.

ANY ps3 with serial CECH-A01 CECH-B01 and I believe CECH-C01(MGS gray model) can play PS2 games. That is of course if you're worried about playing your physical PS2 games.

NOW, if you're talking about playing Digital media you've downloaded from PSN all you have to do is to copy onto a thumb drive all the data. Create a PS2 memory card onto the "NEW" PS2 authorize it as a "master" account. Download the games you want and then grab that thumb drive and transfer over any saves you have.

Ninja edit:

I do also believe that all PS2's have USB access so the above will also correspond :X.

As I said before, DRM'd stuff and saves bound by trophies won't transfer to a different console if you backup using the USB backup utility. Basically he would only get back the PS1 and PS2 saves.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-30 15:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if I get it running again, even if only briefly, can't I used the PS3 to PS3 data transfer through the xmb menu? Wouldn't everything be transferred then? Never tried it, so I don't know for certain.
 leo
By leo 2015-04-30 16:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Scarmiglione said: »
Well if I get it running again, even if only briefly, can't I used the PS3 to PS3 data transfer through the xmb menu? Wouldn't everything be transferred then? Never tried it, so I don't know for certain.

That one transfers everything but the stuff won't work until you log the new unit on PSN. Once you put your PSN credentials in and login, the server will use the data it cached from the old PS3 in it's database to unbind the local data (from the older unit) and reinstate it for your new PS3. Brilliant, ain't it ?
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-04-30 22:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I just thought about that has me concerned is, lets say I do send it to the guy to fix, well my PS3 is set to auto log in once it's turned on. Is there some way he can get any info off of it? I know that credit card info isn't stored on the PS3 but couldn't he go to the PSN and have access to it that way? I suppose I could just pull the hard drive out before shipping it, as the PS3 will still turn on without one, it just won't go anywhere except to a screen saying to install a hard drive.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-01 22:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I didn't want to start a new topic, but I downloaded PCSX2, and am trying to play MGS3, but I am getting terrible FPS. Cut-scenes are particularly bad, like when I met Sokolov, I was dropping down to the teen's. And that whole area is bad as well, dropping into the 20-30's in some spots. And the scene where Boss throws me off the bridge, FPS dropped to almost 10.

I know my PC isn't top of the line, but it is pretty good, so I'm surprised at how bad FPS I'm getting. Anyone know why this might be, and how to fix it? I've tried messing with options, but nothing seemed to help much.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-05-01 22:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems that people have that problem with MGS3, you can probably find something on their forum or a youtube video with settings you can try out

Some games work better than others
By Jetackuu 2015-05-01 22:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

One thing I just thought about that has me concerned is, lets say I do send it to the guy to fix, well my PS3 is set to auto log in once it's turned on. Is there some way he can get any info off of it? I know that credit card info isn't stored on the PS3 but couldn't he go to the PSN and have access to it that way? I suppose I could just pull the hard drive out before shipping it, as the PS3 will still turn on without one, it just won't go anywhere except to a screen saying to install a hard drive.
Can always login to your account from a PC and change the password.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-01 23:29:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I think I'm supposed to do it from this site but I've been trying to get on there for a few days and it never works.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-01 23:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'm supposed to do it from this site but I've been trying to get on there for a few days and it never works.
then you're typing in the wrong info, as it works fine.

edit: there are other places to sign in as well, I'm not sure what you're putting in but it likes email and pw.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 00:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if you click that link and it works for you, then it would be the same info for me. I've tried clearing my cache and flushing my dns, but I still keep getting "The connection has timed out."

I can access it from my phone though, so it's something on my computer's end I guess.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 00:25:29
Link | Quote | Reply

edit: there are other places to sign in as well, I'm not sure what you're putting in but it likes email and pw.

I don't know what you mean by this. I just went to here, and a few lines down, you can see it say click here to jump over to the Sony Entertainment Network's forgot password page. The click here link doesn't work, which is the same site as the link I put 2 posts up.

If I go to http://www.playstation.com, sign in there, then go to my account, there is an option for manage my sony entertainment network account, so I click that, which is the same as all the other links, "https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action" but still nothing works.

EDIT: quote from the my account section on playstation.com "All of your personal information (email, password, address, credit card etc) is attached to your Sony Entertainment Network Account. In order to update this information, you will need to sign in again on the Sony Entertainment Network site." so i need to get to that site in order to change my password so it will in turn affect my PS3.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 00:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

is your phone using 3/4g or your wifi? if the former, then try changing your dns server to google's over your isp's.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 01:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

is your phone using 3/4g or your wifi? if the former, then try changing your dns server to google's over your isp's.

Yeah, 4G, I don't use wifi, all wired. I'll give that a shot.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 01:21:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, still not working. It's almost 2:30am, I'm giving up for the night.
 Siren.Fattynoob
Server: Siren
user: Dreamasky
By Siren.Fattynoob 2015-05-02 09:21:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Strip it to the motherboard, preheat your oven to 450, use rubbing alcohol to clean the old white crusty stuff off your chips.

Wrap the motherboard in tinfoil, place in oven on a pan that only touches the edges and allows it to sit evenly.

Bake for 10 minutes, turn off oven, leave door open and place a fan diagonally to blow the oven out.

Remove when cool.

Buy (radio shack or somewhere, pretty cheap stuff) thermal compound and rub it all over the top of the 2 big chips in the center.

Reassemble your electronic and have fun.

This works for almost every circuit board. The problem is that america made lead solder illegal. So now they use tin, which breaks down at high heats. This is not a permanent fix, I have fixed the same machine 3 times this way. If you want a permanent fix, replace the solder on the 2 big chips with a lead based solder, and your machine will never die.

note: This will work on your rlod xbox also, I do it for the same backwards compatible reason you do. I don't really care for emulators and sometimes wanna whip out old games.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 10:00:36
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, don't do that^

and leaded solder isn't illegal in the US...

also that's not how you apply thermal compound properly.
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 10:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Believe me, I wasn't planning on doing that. At the very most, I would take it apart, just so I could ship the motherboard to get fixed since they weren't kidding when they call these the "fat" model, they are heavy! But I've seen the process of taking them apart and putting back together, it doesn't look very fun.

And don't worry, I've built 3 PC's, I know how to apply thermal compound lol.

Siren.Fattynoob said: »
I don't really care for emulators and sometimes wanna whip out old games.
That's about the only thing you said that I could agree on.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-02 11:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Common sense hint: DON'T BAKE any electronics board on a oven you cook your food into.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 11:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

my friend has moved from emulators to real hardware (a switch I made in the other direction a few years back, aside from more modern stuff due to obvious reasons), yet he's taken it a bit further and ordered flash carts and even RGB hacked some of his older consoles, personally I wouldn't go that far, but to each their own (if I'm going to bother with roms, I'm going to have save states, makes MegaManX more fun at least).

and as I've taken the fat PS3 apart, it's fine to take apart, getting it back together was tricky though, as (iirc, you need to flip it, while holding down a part, or it will fall back out, took some quick timing, there's probably a better way, but it's been a few years).
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-05-02 12:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I think it's the heatsink you have to hold while flipping it over to screw it back on. It just looked like there was a lot of wire connections to take off and put back on, I'd probably forget some when rebuilding it lol.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 12:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

oh ribbon cables, how I loathe thee, I remember it did have one big *** ground screw.

and yeah, the fun part of holding the heatsink is if it moves, you lose a good thermal connection from the paste... wasn't meant for human hands.
 Siren.Fattynoob
By Siren.Fattynoob 2015-05-02 14:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

did it 3 times, or he could just cry and be sol. lol

you aren't baking anything. you are merely heating up the solder for reflow.

"1. What is the definition of "lead-free"? Is there an allowable threshold limit?

The RoHS directive defines 0.1 wt% as the threshold for lead per homogeneous material if not intentionally introduced (i.e. each material prior to soldering).This is defined as a limit for each homogenous material, i.e. component lead, lead plating, glass fibers, plastic , solder, pad finish etc. It is NOT defined at 0.1% by mass of the finished product, or circuit board.

"2. When does the ban on the use of lead solders come into force?

The ban on the use of lead (and other heavy metals and some flame-retardants) will be effective from 1 July 2006. This is a tight time scale for transition to the new lead-free soldering technologies, and it requires that the necessary actions are started as soon as possible. The requirements for labelling for PCB recycling (WEEE) will come into force in August 2005, and these will be transposed into UK law by the UK government

I'm sorry if you don't consider 'banned' illegal. My mistake.

regardless of your crying, this is a useful solution for a casual person who wants to fix their machine. just don't use the machine for multiple hours, or keep a big fan on it and you should be fine. only reason i had to do it a few times was because fallout 3 used to suck me in.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 15:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry that you consider the UK "America" not to mention a craptop of other technical issues wrong with your statements.

I'm not crying, I'm telling somebody to not do something that is moronic. Next you'll be telling somebody to charge their iphone by putting it in the microwave.
 Siren.Fattynoob
By Siren.Fattynoob 2015-05-02 15:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol you are too stuck up in your own thoughts. Enjoy the machine sitting in a closet instead of being used, your choice.

It's moronic to have a box full of old machines because you are too afraid to fix them. Fix them or ship them out, hoard much?
By Jetackuu 2015-05-02 16:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol you are too stuck up in your own thoughts. Enjoy the machine sitting in a closet instead of being used, your choice.

It's moronic to have a box full of old machines because you are too afraid to fix them. Fix them or ship them out, hoard much?

No I'm too stuck up in actually knowing how to properly do things, it's called being educated.

The only thing that is moronic is what you suggested to do.

As for the box of machines I have, the ones that aren't optical issues need reballed, not reflowed, it has nothing to do with fear but knowledge that reflowing brittle unleaded solder only does so much, and two of the "machines" have been reflowed already, the one several times.

I take pride in my knowledge and will admit on the things that I'm unable to do (reball), some others take pride in their ignorance, you're even worse as you take pride and you don't even know that you have no idea what you're talking about, go away, you're not helping.
 leo
By leo 2015-05-02 20:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

"1. What is the definition of "lead-free"? Is there an allowable threshold limit?

The RoHS directive defines 0.1 wt% as the threshold for lead per homogeneous material if not intentionally introduced (i.e. each material prior to soldering).This is defined as a limit for each homogenous material, i.e. component lead, lead plating, glass fibers, plastic , solder, pad finish etc. It is NOT defined at 0.1% by mass of the finished product, or circuit board.

The ban on the use of lead (and other heavy metals and some flame-retardants) will be effective from 1 July 2006. This is a tight time scale for transition to the new lead-free soldering technologies, and it requires that the necessary actions are started as soon as possible. The requirements for labelling for PCB recycling (WEEE) will come into force in August 2005, and these will be transposed into UK law by the UK government

regardless of your crying, this is a useful solution for a casual person who wants to fix their machine. just don't use the machine for multiple hours, or keep a big fan on it and you should be fine. only reason i had to do it a few times was because fallout 3 used to suck me in.

Maybe I should mention that the boards are embedded on several kinds of chemical compounds which at such high temperatures will evaporate and then impregnate the walls of your cooking oven.

I work with electronics and I know the exact nature of the chemicals used on ball grid array soldering. Nasty stuff. Not to mention that the metals themselves will leave residues.

Should I point that this stuff is so nasty that even some U.S. states have safety laws which govern how technicians service the units ?

Right, the oven is yours. It's not me who will have cancer. lol

Certainly ruining your family health is not worth "recycling" a PS3 with such a crude "reflow" method.

Reflow soldering when done properly is under carefully controlled temperature, a estimated temperature curve to avoid mechanical deformation of the surfaces being soldered and with special chemicals applied under the chip package to prevent oxidization from ruining the work being done.

And certainly you heat *only the area being worked at* not the whole thing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Server: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-05-02 21:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

Maybe I should mention that the boards are embedded on several kinds of chemical compounds which at such high temperatures will evaporate and then impregnate the walls of your cooking oven.

I work with electronics and I know the exact nature of the chemicals used on ball grid array soldering. Nasty stuff. Not to mention that the metals themselves will leave residues.

Should I point that this stuff is so nasty that even some U.S. states have safety laws which govern how technicians service the units ?

Right, the oven is yours. It's not me who will have cancer. lol

Certainly ruining your family health is not worth "recycling" a PS3 with such a crude "reflow" method.

Reflow soldering when done properly is under carefully controlled temperature, a estimated temperature curve to avoid mechanical deformation of the surfaces being soldered and with special chemicals applied under the chip package to prevent oxidization from ruining the work being done.

And certainly you heat *only the area being worked at* not the whole thing.

This is a prime example of too much knowledge, but enough common sense.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Scarmiglione
By Carbuncle.Scarmiglione 2015-06-03 13:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So I want to bump this thread as an update to this. I ended up sending the PS3 to that guy on ebay, reballing_genius/PS3specialist. He sent me pictures of the repair, and not some stock photos he found online, wrote my name, date, and leaded solder on the motherboard, and had pictures with the RSX chip off, and everything, so he does indeed reball, and not reflow.

Anyways, after he reballed it, he said it would freeze after a few seconds when turning it on, and that the chip was bad, and I had to pay an extra 40$ for another chip, so I did, and it was fixed after that.

Flash forward to yesterday when I got it back, so I started it up immediately, and sure enough it worked, so I went back to playing Legaia 2 as I was before it died. But the thing is, I still have these lines that show on the screen when playing and on certain screens. I took a video and uploaded it to youtube to show him, and he thinks maybe the Emotion Engine chip is going bad and says he could reball that too. But some searches I tried say it could be ground loop, and to buy a 3-prong to 2-prong connector for the plug, but why would it only do it on PS2 games?

Well anyways, he asked me to try other PS2 games to see if it still did that, so I put in Radiata Stories since it did that when I last played it like 2-3 months ago. About 5 minutes in, and the whole PS3 shuts off, no beeps, no lights, nothing. Turned it off and on again, and still nothing. I'm guessing now the power supply unit died on me, at least that is an easy fix. I wonder if that would cause the lines to show on the screen in this video.

YouTube Video Placeholder