Minimum Wage
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-03-17 15:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

If the service is really bad, my wife and I don't tip. It usually involves an exchanged glance and mention of "NT".

Generally though, service is usually acceptable in the very least. There have only been a few times to where the waitress seemed to have forgotten we existed.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-17 15:01:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
In any establishment where a tip is expected, I quote unto them the wise adages of Confucious.

Don't be that guy. It wasn't even funny when a 14-year-old did it for the first time back in like 1964.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
So many factors go into tipping for me.

For one, I nearly always tip delivery drivers well because I live in an out-of-the-way location and their time getting food to me is largely dependant upon traffic lights lining up; that they come out to my place at all justifies a tip just for the time it takes.

As for restaurant staff, their actual service, timeliness, keeping drinks filled, being polite, time of day, the ratio of customers-to-servers, and my own regularity at an establishment all figure in.
I always tip my delivery guys, often more than usual in the winter because *** driving through snow drifts and -40 degree weather.

The latter though, should be the formula for tipping the staff, but it shouldn't be expected, otherwise it's not a tip or gratuity.

Where I grew up, getting a tip was a rare thing, and only for an exceptionally well done job, or going above and beyond the bare minimum to enhance the customer experience.

One couple gave me a 50 dollar tip one year because I carried out a 16 foot Christmas tree to their truck, and the tree itself was only worth abut 30 bucks.

Then the manager came out and tried to tell me I was stealing from the company for accepting a tip.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't tip cause society tells me to I tip if I feel like it.

My tip therapist to told me to stop thinking and start feeling !
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Good, good. Let the tip flow through you.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally I'm drunk when I'm in a place where you tip

So it depends on my level of "awareness"
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-17 15:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Then the manager came out and tried to tell me I was stealing from the company for accepting a tip.

Yeah. When I worked for Walmart they had a very strict no-tipping policy. They'd pretty much put a strike out of a three-strikes-and-you're-fired policy on you if they caught you taking a tip.

Which is actual straight-up *** when you've helped a guy for an hour pick out the best televisions for him, got them ready for him, got them situated and secured in his truck for him, and you can't take the $50 he's offering you because a manager is hanging out nearby. (In a semi-related note to restaurants, is was a group of televisions for his bar, he was replacing also his old CRTs with flatscreens.)

I'm so utterly fed-up with the corporate culture that doesn't value its employees in any real sense of the concept.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-03-17 15:13:36
Link | Quote | Reply

100% agreed.

I even take into consideration how long I was there and how much time I kept another tipper from being in that seat. If I go out to eat with friends, we bs around and hang out for a while, so I tip more.

If I go by myself and finish my meal in 5 mins (I eat fast) and am up and out, I tip less.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, how the *** is it stealing from the company when good service, hard word, etc that results in a tip, and return business from a good customer service experience?

I mean, I got to keep my tip because the couple had already left, but he watched me like a ***' hawk for the remainder of my time at the Christmas tree lot.

(which I had to work outside, in the cold, in the evening, until they closed their doors for the night)
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-17 15:16:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
100% agreed.

I even take into consideration how long I was there and how much time I kept another tipper from being in that seat. If I go out to eat with friends, we bs around and hang out for a while, so I tip more.

If I go by myself and finish my meal in 5 mins (I eat fast) and am up and out, I tip less.

Oh man, if I'm out with friends, forget about it.

Then I've got to factor in how drunk we got and how much they harassed the poor server. Male or female doesn't matter, my friends are just very lively people and like to include anyone and everyone around them in stories and anecdotes. That and I think the middle-age women we go out with sometimes harass the male waiters more than the guys my age could ever harass the female waitstaff.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 15:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so utterly fed-up with the corporate culture that doesn't value its employees in any real sense of the concept.
In this case, it's not that.

It's that every single tip is required to be reported on your W-2 and to have payroll taxes taken out of the tips.

Walmart made it a policy not to screw over the employees, but because it will be near impossible to report that income properly and, in order to not have to pay a shitton of fines and penalties (along with interest and penalty interest) that they will automatically lose on in payroll audits (and believe me, the federal government would audit them on a monthly basis just to collect those fines and penalties), they made it a corporate policy to prevent those unnecessary expenses to occur in the first place.

I expect a rebuttal of "no u" from our anti-business posters who don't understand that these penalties and fines could have cost upwards of $100s of millions of dollars.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I can still tip a waiter/waitress for excellent service, even if the food and the establishment sucks all around. I just wouldn't consider returning, because no matter how good the service is, I'm going out to a restaurant for an experience worth paying for, and worth returning to, ultimately to pay for more of.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 15:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, how the *** is it stealing from the company when good service, hard word, etc that results in a tip, and return business from a good customer service experience?
Cause your manager is an ***. Only reason behind it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 15:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Zero or near percent interest rates, stock buy backs, and corporate subsidies. There are your problems.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a terrible person most of the time so I don't tip !
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-03-17 15:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

It's that every single tip is required to be reported on your W-2 and to have payroll taxes taken out of the tips.

Walmart made it a policy not to screw over the employees, but because it will be near impossible to report that income properly and, in order to not have to pay a shitton of fines and penalties (along with interest and penalty interest) that they will automatically lose on in payroll audits (and believe me, the federal government would audit them on a monthly basis just to collect those fines and penalties), they made it a corporate policy to prevent those unnecessary expenses to occur in the first place.

I expect a rebuttal of "no u" from our anti-business posters who don't understand that these penalties and fines could have cost upwards of $100s of millions of dollars.

So they chose to harm their employees wages rather than do extra work. Got it.

Though I honestly hadn't considered that, so it does explain things a bit. But they're dishonest with employees about it. They always pitched it as a customer service/fairness to other employees thing.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

*clears throat* Ahem... NO U!
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:20:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cause your manager is an ***. Only reason behind it.
Wasn't just that manager, but every non-food and hospitality manager I've ever had to deal with.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 15:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

So they chose to harm their employees wages rather than do extra work. Got it.
See underline.

You are talking about hundreds of thousands of employees, most of which are not the most honest people around, and asking them to report any/all tips they receive so they can be taxed on it.

It would be a logistics nightmare.

Though I honestly hadn't considered that, so it does explain things a bit. But they're dishonest with employees about it. They always pitched it as a customer service/fairness to other employees thing.

I wouldn't know how they explained it to them. I highly doubt they could be completely honest with their employees, as 99.9% of the information they have to deal with would go straight over the employee's head.

Remember, they do not hire the brightest bulbs, but the ones who are willing to at least put the effort in their jobs. Even then, that's a crapshoot.
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does it feel like we have discussed this before... yea pretty sure we did !
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-17 15:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Except that it has. Page 8, Line 6 is where you want to go.

Mind you, these events are happening while the minimum wage is at $11/hr. So, do you think it will stop here, or get worse next year when it's at $13/hr?
What events have occured since January 1?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 15:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Mind you, these events are happening while the minimum wage is at $11/hr. So, do you think it will stop here, or get worse next year when it's at $13/hr?
Not sure if you are serious or just opaque.
By Bloodrose 2015-03-17 15:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Opaque Jake.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:30:02
Link | Quote | Reply

*** be opaque I just put some grease on em !

Tupac Shakur

(maybe I don't know)
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-17 15:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So you didn't read the associated article from Seattle Magazine that listed several overt reasons why restaurant closures are occuring and how multiple new establishments have been popping up at a rapid pace? TLDR; they're not closing over "concern".
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

TLDR your TLDR !

Take that reading !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-17 15:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So you didn't read the associated article from Seattle Magazine that listed several overt reasons why restaurant closures are occuring and how multiple new establishments have been popping up at a rapid pace? TLDR; they're not closing over "concern".
Anything to try to explain away closures due to increased costs, huh?

Let's see how long these new restaurants last. Notice how these newer restaurants are catering towards higher end people, but the ones closing down were not?

I guess profit margins is a concept foreign to you....
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-17 15:45:53
Link | Quote | Reply

What's middle class?

There is only poor and rich!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-03-17 15:46:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What am I trying to explain away? It's part of the information provided by the OP. You seem content on accepting only the parts you want to believe while discarding the rest.

And where did you get the idea that closures are mostly relegated to less expensive establishments?
By fonewear 2015-03-17 15:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
What's middle class?

There is only poor and rich!

Obama is middle class for a rich upper class !

So he is the Middle Upper class !
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25