Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

We should aim to live in a society that is color blind by the way !

Judge not the color of the dress judge the content of it's character !
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 11:11:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyway, at least it's not 50 shades of grey.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Anyway, at least it's not 50 shades of grey.

50 shades of bad acting.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 11:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The pixel, on the simulated computer/television screen that has been altered by the light in the store, the sunlight in the background, the reflected light from the lens, the floor and the surrounding area, gives the illusion of tan, in that one cropped out section.

However, the fabric that the dress is ACTUALLY made of, is indeed black.

It's so simple, take a shiney black object and hold it under a light bulb. It will turn tan/brown/gold. It didn't magically change color.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-28 11:18:35
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are telling me light effects the way we perceive color...witchcraft !
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 11:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

It's *** crazy isn't it!
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 11:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Valli said: »
gives the illusion of tan, in that one cropped out section.
thank you, that's all i wanted to know

learn to follow directions
[+]
 leo
By leo 2015-02-28 11:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's *** crazy isn't it!

It gets even crazier when you learn that things like heat and radiation are also light.
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2015-02-28 11:46:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2015-02-28 11:48:14
Link | Quote | Reply

leo said: »

It's *** crazy isn't it!

It gets even crazier when you learn that *radiation* is also light.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-02-28 16:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I perceive the the middle picture as gold & white(with a bluish tinge), and the one on the right as just a darker degree of the middle picture's colors (white turned more bluish). Even if I look at the picture on the right in isolation, I don't really perceive it as true blue & dark. I'm just curious about how the middle picture really looks for those who see black & blue: is it something you "figure out", or do you see true blue and black colors?
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2015-02-28 16:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to explain how some of us may have perceived the dress and white. Yes the color we really see is a light grey-blue, however if our mind is #1 assuming there is no color over-saturation, since most of us have zero experience with camera stuff this is likely, and #2 assuming the light is in front of her so the backside must be in the shade, you should be able to understand how ones mind would interpret that as white. Try holding up a white shirt in between you and a light and tell me the white doesn't turn greyish in actuality, yet you know it is still white.
That seems to be how my mind perceives the image, even after knowing the true colors. however in this lighting it is no longer it's true colors, nor is it gold and white but some combination of all 4.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 16:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nothing of optics and made no assumptions about lighting, I know it can affect colours, but I don't know from which angles. I just see it as blue without thinking anything.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 16:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I know nothing of optics and made no assumptions about lighting, I know it can affect colours, but I don't know from which angles. I just see it as blue without thinking anything.
do you still see the lace as black in the original? I'm just curious.

I know Bismarck.Patrik switched blue/black to white/gold after a few hours last night.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 16:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The very first pic? I never saw it as pure black, but very dark beige, although I could imagine it was light reflected on the black, since that much at least I know happens all the time.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 17:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

yea a very dark beige is what I see as well
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 17:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious to know if Patrik is still seeing gold/blue'ish white or back to blue/black, I haven't seen many people who see one then the other after a few hours.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 17:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Really. Beige. The prescriptions in your glasses may need adjusting.

Ignore the one little section at the top where the light shines directly on it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 17:07:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know the specific names of shades. So yes something slightly off brown I call beige. And that's the colour the black reflects there.

edit: also I know you're a moron, but I already said I know it's the black reflecting it and it's not the real colour
 Phoenix.Raistlinmaj
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Raistlinmaj 2015-02-28 17:15:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I notice if i squint my eyes the "beige-ish" tones darken as does the blue, and my mind more readily realizes the blue and black. But once opening them again the colors fade to dark gold and a greyish-bluish white,lol.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2015-02-28 17:17:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Like I said on Facebook, didn't we have this debate over 10 years ago?

[+]
 Cerberus.Wonton
Server: Cerberus
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2015-02-28 17:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like a major point of contention is that some people are arguing about what the color the picture is, and some people are arguing what color they think the dress is based on the picture. Two people arguing about "the color" may not realize they're not arguing about the same thing. I think that may be why this has blown up the way it has. One thing I've found pretty funny is that this is a 10-page debate on practically every forum on the internet, yet there's still always some *** posting a "no one cares" picture.

What color the picture is is easily provable and has been in the OP. What color you perceive the real dress to be seems pointless to argue about since it depends entirely on the individual. Personally, I'm surprised such a majority see it as white and gold considering the washed-out glare of the non-dress portion of the picture. I thought that was a dead giveaway that the actual dress is darker than it appears and thus blue, not lighter than it appears and thus white. I've never been able to see it as even close to white.

Edit: Question for FFXIAHers abroad: I'm curious to know if this debate is as popular on foreign-language sites as it is in the states, of if the story is how Americans are going apeshit over a bad picture of a stupid dress (or if it started as the latter and quickly devolved into the former xD )
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 18:13:12
Link | Quote | Reply

While not abroad, I know this much, it's only stupid Americans who have nothing better to do.

I've seen a LOT of stupid in my days here... but it's ***like this that never fail to entertain. Like I said in a few posts back, every time I say "there's no possible way they can impress me with how stupid they can be" I end up in awe.

I think I can be pretty confident now though that nothing can be stupider than a person who claims to see white in that dress... For at least a week...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 18:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument has always been and forever will be, "What colors do you see?"

It has never been what do you think the color of the dress is.

The reason why this is even a thing, is not because it's a dress, or a bad photo. It's when you ask two people what colors they see, one person will say "gold/white (or light blue)" and another will say "black and blue".

The only reason this is interesting, at all, is because people see the same picture differently. No one cares about the dress, it has always been about the colors, and how our minds act differently while processing the image.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-28 18:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-02-28 18:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/02/27/the-science-behind-why-that-blue-dress-looks-white/

Quote:
"This image seems to land squarely on a perceptual boundary — which means that some of our brains (mine included) are having extra difficulty distinguishing between the illuminating and reflecting colors."

Brains are having extra difficulty distinguishing between the illuminating and reflecting colors.

^This is a nice way of saying, "you're stupid".
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 18:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

alright I think you've been here enough
[+]
 Cerberus.Wonton
Server: Cerberus
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2015-02-28 18:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
It has never been what do you think the color of the dress is.

If that's true then I'm pretty shocked that (according to a poll on Buzzfeed) twice as many people see white than see blue, because the seeing-white people are objectively wrong.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9