Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
Color Perception & Optical Illusion Topic
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 18:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wonton said: »
Edit: Question for FFXIAHers abroad: I'm curious to know if this debate is as popular on foreign-language sites as it is in the states, of if the story is how Americans are going apeshit over a bad picture of a stupid dress (or if it started as the latter and quickly devolved into the former xD )
Appeared on tv news here in Italy too today.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-28 18:44:49
Link | Quote | Reply

wonder what this woman thinks about everyone arguing and complaining about her dress anyway.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 18:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Kalila said: »
It has never been what do you think the color of the dress is.

If that's true then I'm pretty shocked that (according to a poll on Buzzfeed) twice as many people see white than see blue, because the seeing-white people are objectively wrong.
If you go back 2-3 pages, you'll see a post from Patrik. He originally saw blue/black, but after leaving an hour and going to work, on his work computer he could only see gold/white(lightblue), and then when he came back home he still could only see gold/white(lightblue).
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 18:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
wonder what this woman thinks about everyone arguing and complaining about he dress anyway.
For anyone who doesn't know already (proth i'm sure you do)

The mother was taking a photo of the dress while looking for one for a wedding. When she was looking at the bad photo she took, all she could see was a gold/white dress, while her daughter could only see a blue/black dress. The mom, who thought that was pretty neat, decided to upload it with the innocent question, "guys please help me - is this dress white and gold, or blue and black? Me and my friends can’t agree and we are freaking out".

So, the internet being what it is, decided to freak out as well. The end.

but really, the reason why this is interesting, is because when you show the photo to someone, someone standing next to them who have no issues with eyesight at all, might see something different.

There are a dozen of science explanations published after this thing blew up that you can google for and find out, the fact of the matter is though, people find it very interesting that we perceive the colors differently based on how our brains work.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-02-28 18:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

didnt know that actually, figured it started on reddit or with fox news or something
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 18:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I'm sure it got posted on reddit, and that's how these things get blown up, but she was just sharing it on her personal tumblr page with friends, and then a friend probably shared it because they found it interesting too, and a domino effect until it lands on a big website like reddit, then exploded.
 Cerberus.Wonton
Server: Cerberus
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2015-02-28 19:12:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There are a dozen of science explanations published after this thing blew up that you can google for and find out, the fact of the matter is though, people find it very interesting that we perceive the colors differently based on how our brains work.

It's just hard to fathom that people are literally seeing white, and not just seeing blue and interpreting it as white in shadow. I find it worrying that so many people have that much of a problem with correct color perception, particularly when I'm in a crosswalk.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-28 19:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

And then it arrived on FFXIAH, and that's when ***got serious.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 19:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's just hard to fathom that people are literally seeing white, and not just seeing blue and interpreting it as white in shadow. I find it worrying that so many people have that much of a problem with correct color perception, particularly when I'm in a crosswalk.
When I first looked at the image I saw white. When I looked at it again I noticed the white really was a light blue, it only took a few more seconds to look at but white was my first reaction since it was so light in color.

Then I ripped the image apart and looked at each section. I mainly did this because D can only see it as blue/black and I could only see it as gold/lightblue. When I separated the parts and showed him, he could see the bronze/gold/tan/w/e you want to call it, but on the #5 image where I kept the dress and lace together, it went back to being black for him.

He isn't the only one I've tried this with, but, to me it just seems really interesting that our brains work this way.

it's like those optical illusions where they put white dots on a black background, and you start seeing the image slowly spin as you stare at the white dot. Those types of things have always interested me, which might be why I found this to be interesting.

I guess I should of provided more cases where this color thing has happened instead of just providing the dress, because that dress has created and continues to create nothing but drama, argument, and name calling.

All I really wanted was to have a normal discussion about stuff like this, without drama and name calling. I started the topic with "Gold/White vs Black/Blue:", but the real reason for this topic is the second half, "A Color Perception Topic", and that is what this should have been about from the start.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 19:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

changed the topic name to fit the purpose of what I intended this to be~
 leo
By leo 2015-02-28 19:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The best thing about it is that the whole thing might be a combination of physical and personality of the person looking at the picture.

I think, like a computer program can reach different results depending on "where" it start to process a chunk of data, you can develop different lines of thought depending on what you look at first in some picture.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 19:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Something like this for example:

Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-02-28 19:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I see the green and red, but some of the red looks purpleish.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-28 19:48:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you zoom in and take the color value from a purple in one arm, then the other, you'll get this value:

#EB2378

The green is the same deal:
#22EB48
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-02-28 22:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

This highlights a discussion I had with my cousin who is a cameraman and lighting engineer. Both he and I, when we actually took a second to look at the original picture, saw the periwinkle and orange-brown shade of the actual pixels. Similarly, I only see three colors in this image (white is a color!). We see what is actually there.

The only reason I've ever said "white and gold" is because that's what my brain was primed to answer. I woke up on Friday to find my Facebook feed had blown up with this image and the question, "Do you see white/gold or blue/black?" Only a madman would, when faced with that question, decide to answer, "I see magenta/emerald" (note: I chose those two shades because color-blind people necessarily wouldn't name them, so it'd have to be insanity).

I still have a sneaking suspicion that someone manufactured this whole thing. It smells like the sort of game 4chan and Anonymous enjoy, seeding an idea and watching it take off like wildfire. The only thing that presently leaves me doubting my little pointless conspiracy theory is that the image apparently first appeared on someone's Tumblr (not Reddit). Apparently their Tumblr was a fan page for some actress or singer or something and she, the celebrity, has been fielding mis-attributed questions about the silly dress as a result.

I'd also really like to know what kind of fabric was used to make the black lace of the actual dress. As I mentioned way back, my polyester tuxedo coat takes on a port wine color under stage lights on film. I can easily see how cerulean can get bleached down to a periwinkle shade, but there must be something interesting about this black material that it took on gold/brown tones. I suspect it's exactly that material that is at the heart of the real problem: had the black simply become grey as a result of over-exposure/white balance/whatever, I suspect more people would've interpreted it that way. Turning coal into bronze, on the other hand, is a rather different sort of alchemy.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-28 23:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9