Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Happy 20th, CT
Happy 20th, CT
First Page 2
 Shiva.Kingmancat
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-01-23 09:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought I would point out that one of the greatest games of all time, as stated by multiple sources, Chrono Trigger, reaches its 20th anniversary this year.

As someone that bought it Day 1 on SNES back in '95 (and still have that same cartridge), I wanted to get an appreciation thread going for this gem and other masterpieces crafted by the former giant that was SquareSoft.

SS was an absolute juggernaut that exerted its dominance for a literal decade(regarding US releases), from '93 with the release of Secret of Mana until 2003. While there were certainly gems before this period and some great games after the merger, that time frame was what many would consider their "golden age", with the merger marking its end.

What say you? Agree? Disagree? Do you think Chrono Trigger is worthy of its label as a masterpiece? What other SquareSoft and Square Enix games are among your favorites?
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-01-23 09:13:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I...never actually beat CT. I owned it on PSX though.

Another SquareSoft game I thought was a masterpiece was Final Fantasy IX.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-01-23 09:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

/salute!!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-01-23 09:19:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I liked the replay value of Chrono Trigger. I wish they expanded the series further than 2 games though...
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-01-23 09:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I liked the replay value of Chrono Trigger. I wish they expanded the series further than 2 games though...

Don't we all... I truly wish Chrono Break would have materialized, rather than end up being abandoned. Oddly enough, the development and subsequent release of FFXI is partly to blame for Chrono Break being left behind. Staff from CB was moved to FFXI.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2015-01-23 09:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy birthday!

ps. where is my sequel?
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2015-01-23 09:31:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Kingmancat said: »
As someone that bought it Day 1 on SNES back in '95

Btw, thanks for making me feel old!! D:
 Shiva.Kingmancat
By Shiva.Kingmancat 2015-01-23 09:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
Happy birthday!

ps. where is my sequel?

I truly wish Chrono Break would have materialized, rather than end up being abandoned. Oddly enough, the development and subsequent release of FFXI is partly to blame for Chrono Break being left behind. Staff from CB was moved to FFXI.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2015-01-23 09:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My brother sold my original cartridge, along with a ton of others while I was out of the house.. Super bummed. I have a replacement, and plan on playing as soon as I get through this play through of FF4. I am willing to argue CT is one of the best RPGs of all time, with only FFT and FF6 giving it a run.
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-23 09:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell Europe only recently got the Chrono Trigger release for the DS, we never even got Chrono Cross, fantastic game and I'm glad I get to say one of my favourite video game characters is a frog.

Now give the EU Chrono Cross already SE.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-01-23 09:53:59
Link | Quote | Reply

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2015-01-23 10:17:37
Link | Quote | Reply

*Ribbit*
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-23 10:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Chrono Cross. The quintessential example of character roster bloat.

Still loved it. That opening at Fort Dragonia.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-01-23 11:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Chrono Cross. The quintessential example of character roster bloat.

You absolutely need to play Suikoden.

Why Cross gets ***is because the original game was so character driven and then you get a sequel where mushroom men, voodoo dolls and tiny dragons are getting character slots.

Oh and Cross ***on its predecessor just cause it could. 'What the *** is going on???' JRPG plot points aside around disc 2, the game has a marvelous OST and tops the RPG charts of the PS1 era.
 Asura.Natenn
user: Naten
By Asura.Natenn 2015-01-23 22:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thought I would point out that one of the greatest games of all time, as stated by multiple sources, Chrono Trigger, reaches its 20th anniversary this year.

As someone that bought it Day 1 on SNES back in '95 (and still have that same cartridge), I wanted to get an appreciation thread going for this gem and other masterpieces crafted by the former giant that was SquareSoft.

SS was an absolute juggernaut that exerted its dominance for a literal decade(regarding US releases), from '93 with the release of Secret of Mana until 2003. While there were certainly gems before this period and some great games after the merger, that time frame was what many would consider their "golden age", with the merger marking its end.

What say you? Agree? Disagree? Do you think Chrono Trigger is worthy of its label as a masterpiece? What other SquareSoft and Square Enix games are among your favorites?

FF7 is better then CT you should feel ashamed for saying otherwise.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-23 22:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's all about the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, man.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2015-01-23 22:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Chrono Trigger... My fav game Single player RPG ever. Prolly the best RPG ever made next to FFT and FF6.

Chrono Cross was such trash tho.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-01-23 23:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Natenn said: »

He didn't....?
By Aladeus 2015-01-23 23:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never played another game that had more replay value than CT. FF6 was excellent, Tactics and Cross were meh. Legend of the Dragoon was way better than those. Cross had fantastic music, but little replay. CT allowed me to get so sucked in I could new game+ a game twice in one day without thinking about it. It also paved the way for rpg's to have multiple endings. Though it kind of got a bit cheap with a rainbow sword and frenzy band equipped, haha.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-23 23:29:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Tactics was great. Tactics advanced sucked ***. Story and general plot was weak.
[+]
 Phoenix.Ragmar
Server: Phoenix
user: Ragmar
By Phoenix.Ragmar 2015-01-23 23:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Dragon Warrior IV, that is all.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-01-24 00:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Great game, but I liked Seiken Densetsu 3 better.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-24 01:09:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I...never actually beat CT. I owned it on PSX though.

Another SquareSoft game I thought was a masterpiece was Final Fantasy IX.

agreed i loved both chrono trigger and ff series, but my hands down single player ff has to be ff9 such a amazing game as well.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-24 01:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Tactics was great. Tactics advanced sucked ***. Story and general plot was weak.

Bloodrose !!! we find common ground in our love of Tactics and dislike of advanced +1 you. Tactics was a another master piece have you tried the psp version i fell even more in love with it. I remember how bad of a mistake it was grinding my characters to max lvl before the first 3 chapters and realizing how hard i made the game for myself,lol. Sure i destroyed the story line missions, but each random battle was tougher then the final boss !!!! I had to make sure i saved after each random battle because of that. *** chocobo armies !!!
 Siren.Dilandu
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2015-01-24 02:50:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Disagree, No
I liked Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger.

FF Tactics(FFTA sucked), Parasite Eve, Xenogears, SaGa series, Tobal 2, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean, Dragon Quest VIII, 3,5,6,7,9
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-01-24 03:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

He didn't....?
He didn't, but I will: FFVII is a bloated, cancerous mass ruined by too much fan hype backing a very run-of-the-mill game. Chrono Trigger had a laundry list of positive points that have rarely been matched.

For one, it's basically the only game with a New Game+ mode that makes some semblance of sense with regards to its plot. The story was varied but coherent. It had side-quests but you couldn't disappear so deep into side-questing that you'd forget what you were doing. You basically did not need to grind, in stark contrast to almost every other JRPG, though you can grind if it really matters to you to get Ayla's Bronze Fist. The multiple endings encouraged replay in a way few games at the time (only a limited number since) had done.

Other than that, it was just a gorgeous example of the JRPG with a fairly fun variation on the turn-based system (that's one gripe I have: for all they claimed it was active-time, even basic attack animations tend to take so long as to make it irrelevant). The music will be burned forever in my auditory memories. And the plot point around a character death was handled beautifully.

FFVII is mostly just another JRPG. It added nothing meaningful to the battle system, it is the granddaddy of getting distracted and lost by side-quests, it continued the rotten trend of every character being largely interchangeable, and it did nothing to encourage replay unless you really wanted to take Barret with you on a date. It wasn't a bad game. The music was great, the cast of characters was varied, the story was ok (but suffered the same problem most Final Fantasy games have: you can easily forget what the hell you were doing).

The only thing that can be said is that Chrono Trigger unfortunately didn't change anything in the industry in spite of its little innovations, whereas FFVII launched a fanbase (I have no idea why -- was 3D that compelling? I don't remember being amazed by it when it came out while I in high school), so I guess FFVII was technically more successful. At least Chrono Trigger isn't one of those games that was lousy at launch but has lately been bathed in nostalgia like, say, Earthbound.

And I couldn't even get invested in Chrono Cross. I didn't like the characters and I didn't like the battle system. If one is going to make a game that finally becomes "good" after 20+ hours invested (*cough* FFXIII *cough*), make the story to get that far compelling and the gameplay simple enough that I'll endure it.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
Server: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2015-01-24 03:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Siren.Kyte said: »

He didn't....?
WAAAAAHHH I DIDN'T LIKE IT BUT OTHERS DID!!!! CANCER!!!!

indeed.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-01-24 05:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i got to say ff7's 3-d approach was mind blowing back then even if the graphics are not comparable to today's " standards". Back then ff7 was top notch graphics wise. I give credit to where its due square soft which latter became square-enix continue to push forward with all types of improvements. I give my thanks to that because they gave me a side hobby i like to do. To give myself a break from the insanity of researching policies,lol.
[+]
First Page 2