Taliban Killing Spree Pakistan School 132 Dead

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Taliban killing spree Pakistan school 132 Dead
Taliban killing spree Pakistan school 132 Dead
First Page 2
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-12-17 07:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Taliban go on killing spree at Pakistan school, 132 students dead

(Reuters) - At least 132 students and nine staff members were killed on Tuesday when Taliban gunmen broke into a school in the Pakistani city of Peshawar and opened fire, witnesses said, in the bloodiest massacre the country has seen for years.

More than eight hours after militants slipped into the heavily guarded compound through a back entrance, the army declared the operation to flush them out over, and said that all nine insurgents had been killed.

The attack on a military-run high school attended by more than 1,100 people, many of them children of army personnel, struck at the heart of Pakistan's military establishment, an assault certain to enrage the country's powerful army.

Wounded children taken to nearby hospitals told Reuters most victims died when gunmen, suicide vests strapped to their bodies, entered the compound and opened fire indiscriminately on boys, girls and their teachers.

"One of my teachers was crying, she was shot in the hand and she was crying in pain," said Shahrukh Khan, 15, who was shot in both legs but survived by hiding under a bench.

"One terrorist then walked up to her and started shooting her until she stopped making any sound. All around me my friends were lying injured and dead."

The Taliban, waging war against Pakistan in order to topple the government and set up an Islamic state, immediately claimed responsibility.

"We selected the army's school for the attack because the government is targeting our families and females," said Taliban spokesman Muhammad Umar Khorasani. "We want them to feel the pain."

SUICIDE BOMBERS

As night fell on Peshawar, a teeming, volatile city near the Afghan border, security forces wrapped up an operation that lasted more than eight hours and involved intense gun battles. The military said about 960 pupils and staff were evacuated.

The Taliban said the gunmen had been equipped with suicide vests and at least three explosions were heard inside the high school at the height of the massacre.

Outside, as helicopters rumbled overhead, police struggled to hold back distraught parents who were trying to break past a security cordon and get into the school.

Officials said 121 pupils and three staff members were wounded. A local hospital said the dead and injured were aged from 10 to 20 years old.

A Reuters correspondent visiting the city's major Combined Military Hospital said its corridors were lined with dead students, their green-and-yellow school uniform ties peeping out of the white body bags.

The gunmen, who several students said communicated with each other in a foreign language, possibly Arabic, managed to slip past the school's tight security because at least some of them were wearing Pakistani military uniforms, some witnesses said.

Pakistanis, used to almost daily militant attacks, were shocked by the scale of the massacre and the loss of so many young lives. It recalled the 2004 siege of a school in Russia's Beslan by Chechen militants which ended in the death of more than 330 people, half of them children.

The United States, Pakistan's ally in its fight against Islamist militants operating in Pakistan and Afghanistan, swiftly condemned the attack.

"This act of terror angers and shakes all people of conscience ... the perpetrators must be brought to justice," said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

SPIRAL OF VIOLENCE

The Pakistani Taliban have vowed to step up attacks in response to a major army operation against the insurgents in the tribal areas.

But despite the crackdown this year, the military has long been accused of being too lenient toward Islamist militants who critics say are used to carry out the army's bidding in places like Kashmir and Afghanistan.

The military denies the accusations.

So far the Taliban have targeted mainly security forces, military bases and airports, but attacks on civilian targets with no logistical significance are relatively rare.

In September, 2013, however, dozens of people, including many children, were killed in an attack on a church, also in Peshawar in Pakistan's northwest.

The assault on a school where officers' children studied could push the armed forces into a more drastic response.

Army chief Raheel Sharif's first public remarks after the attack reflected rising anger.

"These terrorists have struck the heart of the nation. But our resolve to tackle this menace has gotten a new lease of life. We will pursue these monsters and their facilitators until they are eliminated for good," he said.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif used similarly strong words.

"We will take revenge for each and every drop of our children's blood that was spilt today," he said.

In India, Pakistan's long-time rival, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his shock. The Afghan Taliban, which are separate to the Pakistani Taliban, put out a statement condemning the attack as "against the basics of Islam."

Pakistani teenager Malala Yousafzai, joint winner of this year's Nobel peace prize for education campaign work and survivor of a Taliban attack in 2012, said she was devastated.

"I am heartbroken by this senseless and cold-blooded act of terror in Peshawar that is unfolding before us," Malala, who now lives in central England, said in a statement.

Source
By Jetackuu 2014-12-17 08:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet they'll start putting armed sentries at/in their schools.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 08:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Words fail me when I see these things.

How could anyone ever think of comitting these acts and come to the conclusions that, "Yes. Yes, THIS is what God wants. Children killed and maimed in horrific fashion. THIS is God's will?"

I honestly have to check myself and remember cultures are different worldwide and people who buy into this ideology were raised in a setting so much different from mine.

But even then; the human brain is designed to be disgusted by these types of acts. While you could say some of them are carried out by people with neurological/psychological defects that "turn off" compassion and empathy...all of these attacks? I'm pretty sure the numbers there don't work out.

Either way it's a senseless loss of life in a region that's entirely too accustomed to it, and while I fully endorse every ounce of retribution that can be delivered on the groups that plan and put into motion these attacks, no level of justice can undo this, and that makes my stomach twist itself in knots. There simply isn't a punishment commensurate to the crime for anyone involved.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-17 08:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

basically

but they just managed to piss off not only the military, but probably a good bit of the population by attacking their own, not a good way to garner support.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-12-17 08:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Suicide bombing kids? you live and see..
My deepest condolences to the families hit with this tribulation.

Also, kids caught in sectarian terrorism: CNN: Bomb meant for militants kills 20 children in Yemen, officials say
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 08:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Also, kids caught in sectarian terrorism: CNN: Bomb meant for militants kills 20 children in Yemen, officials say

While it makes no difference in the end result and it's still every bit as awful in that regard, at least children weren't a specific target there.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-12-17 08:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Australia, Pakistan and Yemen. Sad that this has all come to a head within a week.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Diabolos.Prodigy
Server: Diabolos
user: Prodigy
By Diabolos.Prodigy 2014-12-17 10:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

They are weak minded evil people, brainwashed by other evil people that are plagued with hatred and jealousy.
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 10:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Prodigy said: »
They are weak minded evil people, brainwashed by other evil people that are plagued with hatred and jealousy.

Feels too easy to dismiss it like this just calling them evil and going back to the daily grind.

Someday, something has to give. =\
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:16:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Where are the people who have been defending these radical terrorists on these forums?

I think we should see their white-knighting stances now....
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:17:59
Link | Quote | Reply

If Pakistan is anything like America they are on CNN pushing for stricter gun laws...or suing the manufacture of the gun...
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-17 12:20:52
Link | Quote | Reply

See America is even being outdone with school killings now step it up ***
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »

[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well we all know that it was bullying that made them do it ! Bullying is an epidemic that must be stopped.

I even created a website about it.

http://bullyingepidemic.com/
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-17 12:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

I was serious about the 6 billion too many folks in the world I am a horrible person but I would at least start with rest home bombings
[+]
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:26:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Horrible person on the internet well I never !

According to this pie chart I made up 99% of the internet is horrible people.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

t I would at least start with rest home bombings

Prisons, maybe?

Or if you really want to get rid of terrible, insufferable people, maybe hit a Flyers-Rangers game.
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know Yankee fans are at the top of my list. Well mostly everything in NYC.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-12-17 12:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I started hating humans when I started having neighbors lol
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

We all know the solution the only way to stop violence is with... more violence.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-12-17 12:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I don't know Yankee fans are at the top of my list. Well mostly everything in NYC.

Pssst.

I did almost say Yankees-Red Sox, though.

Flyers-Bruins or Cowboys-Ravens would have also been considerations.
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I forgot about the Ravens. They would be high on my list.

Even their head coach is a major d bag.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I wouldn't mind seeing the Knicks and Nets gone, it's not like they are great and outstanding leaders in basketball.

While we are riding NYC from the face of the earth, let's take out LA too while we are at it.
By fonewear 2014-12-17 12:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yea and those Progressive commercials can we stop them ?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-12-17 12:54:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently even the Afghanistan Taliban disapproves.

Quote:
Even the Taliban in Afghanistan, who are closely affiliated with their Pakistani counterparts, criticized the killing of women and children as against Islamic teaching.

The spokesman for the Afghan terror group expressed condolences to the victims of Tuesday's attack.

Last two paragraphs from this news story:

Pakistan militants: Children's massacre was to avenge army strikes - CNN
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-12-17 12:55:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Happy Hanukkah grandma Chanti!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Apparently even the Afghanistan Taliban disapproves.

Quote:
Even the Taliban in Afghanistan, who are closely affiliated with their Pakistani counterparts, criticized the killing of women and children as against Islamic teaching.

The spokesman for the Afghan terror group expressed condolences to the victims of Tuesday's attack.

Last two paragraphs from this news story:

Pakistan militants: Children's massacre was to avenge army strikes - CNN
Of course they disapprove, it's bad press, even among the locals.

Can't have a long-term terrorist cell without some support .
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-12-17 12:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I was serious about the 6 billion too many folks in the world I am a horrible person but I would at least start with rest home bombings
You could just commit suicide and save us all the trouble...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-17 12:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »

You could just commit suicide and save us all the trouble...
I'm sure that he was being sarcastic....
First Page 2