California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 13:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't count the amount of ***I've "Accidentally" walked out of the store with because of self check-out.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 13:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Problems scanning, slow to respond, the need to tell people when to place the item in the bag, can't do gift cards, if there is no line there is no reason not to go to the cashier. Nice try tho KN, just because you have never had a "problem" doesn't mean problems don't exist. Better luck next time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 13:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Applebottoms said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Pretty much every grocery store has self-checkout, the problem is, the AI is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and people just don't have the patience to deal with it.
Elaborate please.

I never had a problem with the self-checkout, so you will have to explain yourself.

Most likely user error in Vic's case.
It does take a bit to get used to checking out, because you have to make sure that you put items in bags BEFORE you check the next item, need to enter codes properly, can't do gift cards on your own, too many out of bag items need assistance, etc.

Was at Crest the other day and say a man yelling at one to speed up even though it was his fault. Was kinda funny.
Usually it tells you to place the item in the bag before continuing, and most registers (at least at HEB here in SA) would give you a produce lookup code or have a barcode for scanning then weighing of produce.

As for the gift cards and out-of-bag items, I never have that issue, so I guess it depends on the person.

You don't have to put everything in a bag. Just put the unbagged items on the scale and continue on.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 13:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Problems scanning, slow to respond, the need to tell people when to place the item in the bag, can't do gift cards, if there is no line there is no reason not to go to the cashier. Nice try tho KN, just because you have never had a "problem" doesn't mean problems don't exist. Better luck next time.
The self-checkout registers are idiot-proof.

Having multiple issues with them just shows your intelligence level.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 13:09:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much every grocery store has self-checkout, the problem is, the AI is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and people just don't have the patience to deal with it.
Elaborate please.

I never had a problem with the self-checkout, so you will have to explain yourself.

Most likely user error in Vic's case.
It does take a bit to get used to checking out, because you have to make sure that you put items in bags BEFORE you check the next item, need to enter codes properly, can't do gift cards on your own, too many out of bag items need assistance, etc.

Was at Crest the other day and say a man yelling at one to speed up even though it was his fault. Was kinda funny.
Usually it tells you to place the item in the bag before continuing, and most registers (at least at HEB here in SA) would give you a produce lookup code or have a barcode for scanning then weighing of produce.

As for the gift cards and out-of-bag items, I never have that issue, so I guess it depends on the person.

You don't have to put everything in a bag. Just put the unbagged items on the scale and continue on.
Usually gift cards and out of bag items at certain places (I'm looking at you, Wal-mart) need someone to come over constantly and make sure that everything's activated/ok. Especially with out of bag items, it's pretty much to make sure that theft or scamming isn't going on.

I like them myself, after dealing with people for 8 hours a day, a computer is a nice change.

Also, judging by the average person that goes shopping, I'm surprised they can even put their shoes on the right feet, let alone handle a machine.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 13:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, who says I have ever had issues with them? Oh, you did, well that means..nothing. Keep it up tho, its entertaining.
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I can't count the amount of ***I've "Accidentally" walked out of the store with because of self check-out.

Thats the best use they have, "discounts."
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 13:11:28
Link | Quote | Reply

KN has mastered the representative bias. His experience is the only experience, which I wish was true because he claims to be part of that pesky 1% with all the money.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 13:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, who says I have ever had issues with them? Oh, you did, well that means..nothing. Keep it up tho, its entertaining.

Thats the best use they have, "discounts."
Most stores also have like 6-8 self-checkout registers per one cashier having to supervise everything. I can see why it happens a lot, because for that many you need at least two people to keep an eye on all of them constantly.

The Target I work at doesn't have them, and mother of god everyone that works there wants them, just because trying to buy stuff on your break/lunch is always a ***. At max they only have one Express (10 items or less) on, and it always has like 10+ people in it. All the time. You think they would get the hint.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 13:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Pro-Tip for Self Checkout. If there's a lot of people at checkout, and you happen to have a fairly large old receipt, you can usually just "Mime" the process, flash your old receipt as you walk by, and get a free cartload.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Applebottoms
By Valefor.Applebottoms 2014-09-02 13:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Pro-Tip for Self Checkout. If there's a lot of people at checkout, and you happen to have a fairly large old receipt, you can usually just "Mime" the process, flash your old receipt as you walk by, and get a free cartload.
I had someone do that when I was working the Express lane at Target one day. I couldn't be mad at him though, he had major balls to do it with someone there. Props to him, lol.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 14:00:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Well they're almost idiot-proof, I've never met one that could deal with a 90 year old grandma who hates technology.

My issue with them is that they frequently require oversight from the assistant that has a group to maintain and that person is usually not available for fixin.

They have their uses, and under the right circumstances I use them. Otherwise I resent the additional patience I generally need to fork over to use them when that area is busy. I also feel like I should get a discount for using them as I am doing the stores goddamn work for them.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-09-02 14:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 14:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Well they're almost idiot-proof, I've never met one that could deal with a 90 year old grandma who hates technology.

My issue with them is that they frequently require oversight from the assistant that has a group to maintain and that person is usually not available for fixin.

They have their uses, and under the right circumstances I use them. Otherwise I resent the additional patience I generally need to fork over to use them when that area is busy. I also feel like I should get a discount for using them as I am doing the stores goddamn work for them.
Well, a 90 year old grandmother isn't expected to know the nuances of technology.

I'm sure that Vic isn't a 90 year old grandmother.

I never seen a self-checkout area super busy that the other lines aren't also super busy. That's the nature of the store.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 14:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, a 90 year old grandmother isn't expected to know the nuances of technology.

I never seen a self-checkout area super busy that the other lines aren't also super busy. That's the nature of the store.

Well i mean it's a gamble, Do I think the cashier can run faster processing 2-3x the volume than the strangers in front of me at the self checkout line?

That depends on the stranger really. If it was vic I'm pretty sure I could perceive the overwhelming sense of victim hood.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 14:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Well i mean it's a gamble, Do I think the cashier can run faster processing 2-3x the volume than the strangers in front of me at the self checkout line?

That depends on the stranger really. If it was vic I'm pretty sure I could perceive the overwhelming sense of victim hood.
I generally gauge the people waiting at the self-checkout line. If they look competent, then I'll take my chances there.

If it looks like somebody who could be described as Vic or Pleebo, I'll just wait in the regular checkout line.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 14:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep it up kiddos, you are just supporting my accurate statement about the problems with self-checkouts. Nausi has already agreed with me, just waiting on KN to slowly get there while entertaining us all.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 14:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

We already come to the conclusion that the problem with self-checkout lines is the user, not the system like you suggested.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 14:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I have noticed that at most of the large retailers I go to, people jam up at the self-checkouts while a couple cashiers sit there with nobody to service. I frequently am able to just blast through the standard lanes or express lanes while the same people are still just standing in line for a self machine. It's almost like they would prefer the experience of checking and bagging their own groceries just to avoid human interaction.

I don't find the self-checkouts particularly difficult to use, but their convenience plummets dramatically when you get into $/lbs produce, out of bag items, or coupons.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 14:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

No, "we" didn't. You did. You alone.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-02 14:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
It's almost like they would prefer the experience of checking and bagging their own groceries just to avoid human interaction.
yes :D
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 14:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, judging by the average person that goes shopping, I'm surprised they can even put their shoes on the right feet, let alone handle a machine.

Seems like more than one person agreeing with me.

How many people are blaming the machine because you did something stupid again?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

We already come to the conclusion that the problem with self-checkout lines is the user, not the system like you suggested.

The system requires a user, wouldn't that make the system broken in design? It's like saying a Hospital would be great if it weren't for all the sick people.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 15:02:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The machines have definite weak points, one major weak point being that they assume a certain level of technical aptitude that isn't necessarily there. Virtually all people come equipped with eyes and hands, they don't all come with computer skills. The machines do a good job of making it monkey friendly, but at the price of speed. Just the security features of bagging individually cause a HUGE time sponge.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 15:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

While the self-checkout machines are generally a test of patience as you see people scrambling to find the barcode on an item, almost 80% of the problems that arise, come from improper coding, or registering of the barcode into the system sustaining the self-checkout machines.

The flipside is, you get people who you normally wouldn't trust with a butter knife creating their own problems (Sorry Vic, I do have to agree with Apples, KN, and Nausi on this) trying to deal with something that the general public hasn't been taught to use. It's just there.

If you can spare a minute to watch the cashiers work (at least the ones actually working), you can figure out who's competent and a pleasure while moving the lines along quickly.

Just remember though: titties are NOT pockets.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The system requires a user, wouldn't that make the system broken in design? It's like saying a Hospital would be great if it weren't for all the sick people.
If the system is broken for every user, then you would have a point.

When it works for most people, but the few who are either computer illiterate or, in Vic's case, life illiterate, then how can you blame the system for not working for those few people?

Odin.Jassik said: »

The machines have definite weak points, one major weak point being that they assume a certain level of technical aptitude that isn't necessarily there. Virtually all people come equipped with eyes and hands, they don't all come with computer skills. The machines do a good job of making it monkey friendly, but at the price of speed. Just the security features of bagging individually cause a HUGE time sponge.
Weak points doesn't make it a failure. Consider it an opportunity cost of using a machine instead of a person when it comes to checking out of a store.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
almost 80% of the problems that arise, come from improper coding, or registering of the barcode into the system sustaining the self-checkout machines.
To be honest, I never experienced an issue like that. That would have never crossed my mind either, because if there is an issue with the self-checkout system with improper coding, there would be the exact same issue with the cashier system also, since they both use the same system.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 15:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember using the word "failure", but I wouldn't consider them that either, I'd consider them an option that is poorly utilized by people with unrealistic ambition. Just because someone lets you sit in the cockpit doesn't mean you should be flying a plane.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

If the system is broken for every user, then you would have a point.

When it works for most people, but the few who are either computer illiterate or, in Vic's case, life illiterate, then how can you blame the system for not working for those few people?

A real system designer would iterate and improve, but doing half the work is okay too I guess.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 15:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
almost 80% of the problems that arise, come from improper coding, or registering of the barcode into the system sustaining the self-checkout machines.
To be honest, I never experienced an issue like that. That would have never crossed my mind either, because if there is an issue with the self-checkout system with improper coding, there would be the exact same issue with the cashier system also, since they both use the same system.
They link into the same mother system, but are operated differently - at the cashier, you have someone who can fix a problem immediate, or make a call. Self Checkout, you have one bored *** *** trying to forget they work the self checkout, babying the idiots who can't seem to find the barcode staring at them in the face.