California Banning Plastic Bags

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California Banning Plastic Bags
California Banning Plastic Bags
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2014-08-30 15:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodbeat
Server: Bismarck
user: bloodbeat
By Bismarck.Bloodbeat 2014-08-30 15:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't you guys do those plastic 'bags for life'?
They're bigger and more durable than regular plastic bags, and you have to pay for them. So you're encouraged to reuse them indefinitely and, if they don't last a lifetime, the store has to give you a new one.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-30 16:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Why would you pay for a bag when you can get them for free? and they double as trash bags, and are nice for going on a trip to isolate things that leak, etc.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 16:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbeat said: »
Don't you guys do those plastic 'bags for life'?
They're bigger and more durable than regular plastic bags, and you have to pay for them. So you're encouraged to reuse them indefinitely and, if they don't last a lifetime, the store has to give you a new one.

say wha?
 Bismarck.Bloodbeat
Server: Bismarck
user: bloodbeat
By Bismarck.Bloodbeat 2014-08-30 16:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Why would you pay for a bag when you can get them for free? and they double as trash bags, and are nice for going on a trip to isolate things that leak, etc.

Our bags ALL have holes in them so anti-Darwin children don't suffocate in them.

I just figured that if prohibitive legislation was on the table, maybe the writing was on the wall for free, acceptable quality bags.
The bags I get for free when I buy groceries are like a nanometre thick, you could glare at them and they'd rip.

On the upside, maybe the retailers will give you green points.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 17:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
I always reuse my grocery bags as garbage bags
Same here. Plastic grocery bags make excellent sacks for a quickly made take to work lunch or for going out fishing, after which I have a handy sack to pack my trash away in. They also make good "doo doo" bags for my mutt's business.
Of course, I also have a habit of repurposing cat litter buckets after the litter's been emptied out as trash cans for the bedroom, cave and bathroom; plastic butter tubs as resealable tupperware-type containers... I let nothing reusable go to waste. Get as much use out of it as possible before trashing it.

true, but even so i still end up with a million more plastic bags then i reuse.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-30 20:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Good for California to try to solve their garbage problems in a sensible way.

I think this is the first logical legislation made by the California government that we have seen in decades.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-30 20:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I think this is the first logical legislation made by the California government that we have seen in decades.

Several cities have already banned bags. Los Angeles banned plastic bags some time ago. Only smaller stores like liquor stores can use/sell them. It's really annoying too, because now they charge you for the bags all together too. Certain Ralph's grocery stores are don't offer paper(at .10 cents which is the median price for the paper bags), instead they only offer to sell you the $2 bag!
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-08-30 23:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Several cities have already banned bags. Los Angeles banned plastic bags some time ago. Only smaller stores like liquor stores can use/sell them. It's really annoying too, because now they charge you for the bags all together too. Certain Ralph's grocery stores are don't offer paper(at .10 cents which is the median price for the paper bags), instead they only offer to sell you the $2 bag!

we had one discount type store in jersey that used to charge for bags. Like 5-10 cents a bag range, something like that. It was amazing considering how much ppl waste in life, that most ppl would actually bring there own bags.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-31 21:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

we had one discount type store in jersey that used to charge for bags. Like 5-10 cents a bag range, something like that. It was amazing considering how much ppl waste in life, that most ppl would actually bring there own bags.
Texas has started using the "reusable bags" deal at our local grocery stores (HEB).

I heard that Brownsville banned plastic bags a while back ago too.

So I guess we aren't that much further away from CA with this....
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-31 22:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

The unknown victims of this law are the California Hobos. After all, these cheap grocery store plastic bags are what they'd use for protection during acts of vinegary intercourse in exchange for the least pure crack on the planet.

Someone has to be their voice.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-31 23:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Denmark charges 5-10dkk per plastic bag.

We have 4 vita bags, which stuff into a pouch and clip on backpacks or can be thrown/hooked on a purse. They are washable, durable, and small when put away.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-31 23:52:42
Link | Quote | Reply

More environmental alarm-ism. The behavior pattern is clear, we all have to give up more freedoms to appease the feelings of the environmental supremacists lest be labeled a "hater".
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-09-01 00:06:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
My gripe w/ paper bags are the lack of handles (at least any one I've ever seen)

Ours look like this

hey, we got a store like that here in USA...

Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 00:07:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
More environmental alarm-ism. The behavior pattern is clear, we all have to give up more freedoms to appease the feelings of the environmental supremacists lest be labeled a "hater".
Nothing in that link runs contrary to the idea that people should stop dumping plastic into the ocean. Read more than the title.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 00:08:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Who's stupid enough to be dumping garbage in the ocean? oh wait.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 00:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much any population center near a coast has garbage making its way to the ocean, purposely or otherwise.

@Aelius: Reported for language :O
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 00:14:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Pretty much any population center near a coast has garbage making its way to the ocean, purposely or otherwise.

@Aelius: Reported for language :O
I think I found the issue!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-01 00:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Nothing in that link runs contrary to the idea that people should stop dumping plastic into the ocean. Read more than the title.

The "devoid of substance" straw man is early tonight. First off banning the bags will not stop them from ending up in the ocean. So in a way, it's pretty pointless for CA to ban them. I did read the article it says pretty clearly:

MYTH: All this plastic is killing animals.
FACT: Some animals are being harmed, but others are thriving. Here's why that could be a problem.

You know what else harms the sea life in the ocean? FISHING! CA could ban that instead, it would probably save way more sea life.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 00:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically your "myth" is still fact, all of that plastic is killing animals.
[+]
By Voren 2014-09-01 01:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm tired of the free advertisement that Wal-Mart gets via blowing plastic bags that fly into my windshield on the interstate, around town, hell I've even seen a cow chewing one out in a rural BFE middle of absolute nowhere. Kinda sad really.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 01:52:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The "devoid of substance" straw man is early tonight. First off banning the bags will not stop them from ending up in the ocean. So in a way, it's pretty pointless for CA to ban them.
Bag bans have greatly reduced their use in those cities where it's been implemented. Less bags = less bag pollution. It's not a difficult concept.

The other thing you typed isn't even worth a response.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2014-09-01 02:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I am currently visiting Seattle for PAX Prime, every time I go to a store I need to be sure I have either my messenger bag or a smaller bag because bags are not provided for free. hell if I am paying for the privilege of throwing something away as soon as we get back to my friend's apartment.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 03:31:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Environmental laws and alike are all about feelings. As long as the people/voters feel good about the laws and such passed, that's all the matters. After that they'll argue its justification until they're blue in the face, because you hurt their feelings.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-01 04:17:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I take it you finally read your own link and are trying to save face by throwing out some half-cocked argument. (Psst, the only "lie" they countered was a falsely attributed photo.) Conservatives used to be about, you know, conservation. Try to pretend it's at least 40 years ago and the ideology hasn't been completely hijacked by anti-science nitwits who think preserving natural landscapes is some dirty hippie's cash grab or some crime against personal freedoms ::cryingeagleamericaflag::
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-01 08:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I find that conservatives have this tendency to find the most batshit insane arguments put forth by their opposition, and apply it across the board. (While decrying others doing the same of course, trademark double standard)

I've personally never heard anything about the Pacific Garbage Patch other than that it A) Exists B) Has a lot of garbage spread across a larger area, therefore the trash density is very low and C)Plastic entering the food chain is bad.

Kinda the same thing with Glurble Wherming. I didn't start hearing all the really crazy ***about it until I saw it put up by people like Altimaomega as "clearly what everyone on the other side believes." My personal sources only ever said A) Global temperatures are Rising. B) Humans are at least partly responsible for accelerating the process. C) It's not an existential threat, but it is a stability threat. D) Even if it turns out to not be something we can intervene in [Natural cycle or acting too late] it's in our best interest to understand the process to mitigate the potential damage, much like we do with any other natural disaster.

And then Alti Comes in with "Manbearpig" stuff saying the world will stop rotating, lose it's magnetic core and turn into Venus + Mars at the same time. Arguments I've never heard put forward in any academic circle.
[+]
 Phoenix.Michiiru
Server: Phoenix
user: Michiiru
By Phoenix.Michiiru 2014-09-01 08:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

How was Obama's vacation?
 Ragnarok.Chronictreets
user: Findogast
By Ragnarok.Chronictreets 2014-09-01 08:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

The county I live in charges a 5 cent tax on all bags. The revenue is used to clean up lakes and streams of garbage. It's works because a lot of the ponds near here used to be full of trash and now they're not. I think this is better than an all out ban.