Ice Bucket Challenge!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Ice Bucket Challenge!
Ice Bucket Challenge!
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-08-22 23:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
It's the same with donating blood.

Donating blood is free. We're talking about $100 bucks for the ALS challenge. Ultimately people are doing the ice bucket challenge because they are refusing to donate money, they don't really care about this charity.

I'm not trying to downplay the condition, however there are a lot of other conditions that could stand to receive the money that would benefit a lot more people from that $100 dollars. Do most people know that? No.

EDIT: Additionally people are wasting clean water while people around the globe are struggling for clean water, let's not forget.

Most of the people who do the challenge, donate as well, seeing as there was over 700,000 NEW donors this year, I think it's fair to say I haven't seen 700,000 Ice bucket challenges on youtube.

It is unfortunate they waste the clean water, yes, they could easily use grey water. But I feel the same way about washing machines, car washes, etc.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-22 23:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If I get challenged, I'm going to send a bucket of water to Africa.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 00:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
If I get challenged, I'm going to send a bucket of water to Africa.

Or you can use Milk like Verne Troyer.

inb4 PETA *** about increased milk usage and cow abuse!
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 00:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You're joking, right? Milk is *** expensive. Maybe I could change the victim from me to a bowl of cereal.
 Sylph.Ashiya
Server: Sylph
user: Ashee
By Sylph.Ashiya 2014-08-23 00:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal favorite, because Steve Blum (a.k.a Spike Spiegel) is the boss! Steve Blum ALS Challenge Mr.blum's took time to explain why he was doing it and who he was doing it for, and what it meant to him.

and yeah, I'm kinda annoyed the common folk or young teens who are doing it and aren't reading all the rules.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 00:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Raise awareness via other means. Don't waste clean water.
eh, if you pay for it, you can do whatever you want with it. When someone pays my water bill for me, then they can have a say in what I do with it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 08:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

eh, if you pay for it, you can do whatever you want with it. When someone pays my water bill for me, then they can have a say in what I do with it.

When one's wasteful water use is effecting my bill with the DWP, due to a state drought, then yes I do get a say. My say is contacting DWP or the PD and getting that individual a hefty fine for being inconsiderate during a state drought.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-23 08:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If you saw all the dangerous and incredibly dumb and life-risking challenges that have been thrown around lately, I say this one is more than welcome. If people can't stray away from social pressure then at least let it be something harmless and that here and there also gets something good done on its path.

If you're bothered cause 'it's something everyone does' then just don't do it, but no point bitching really.

I also find to be very fascinating the antropologic phenomenon as well as the global connectivity. The speed at which something like this spread worldwide gives you the magnitude of our communication powers these days.
[+]
 Fenrir.Moldtech
Server: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2014-08-23 09:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

While we're at it, we should stop bathing entirely. Also, we should just go back to pooping in holes in the ground.

Uh, we still have outhouses around here. Some people are still pooping in holes lol.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 09:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

When one's wasteful water use is effecting my bill with the DWP, due to a state drought, then yes I do get a say. My say is contacting DWP or the PD and getting that individual a hefty fine for being inconsiderate during a state drought.
Well good luck with that.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 09:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
While we're at it, we should stop bathing entirely. Also, we should just go back to pooping in holes in the ground.

Uh, we still have outhouses around here. Some people are still pooping in holes lol.
Ohhhh, Appalachia...

I jest of course; no idea where you live. When I think of outhouses though, I think of toothless hillbillies. Don't blame me, blame the SYSTEM!
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 10:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Well good luck with that.
No luck needed. DWP in states with droughts already have fines. If you want waste water be prepared to pay a fine. Los Angeles DWP and other DWPs, in states with droughts, are charging $300-500 for water waste.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 10:35:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you can prove it was drinking water. Could have gotten it from a lake, rain, imported bottled water (which is irrelevant to your state's drought), etc.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 10:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you can prove it was drinking water. Could have gotten it from a lake, rain, imported bottled water (which is irrelevant to your state's drought), etc.

DWPs don't care if you can prove it or not. It's in the same category as watering your lawn outside allotted times/days. One call from a neighbor and you receive a fine or citation.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 11:02:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So I could just call and report you and they wouldn't have to prove it at all?

Watering your lawn is something pretty easy to prove. You have a hose and it's connected to your house.

and I bet you most of the "Omg you're wasting water" crowds, spend at least twice as long in the shower as I do, lol, so they can spare me their platitudes.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 11:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think this whole "Oh noes our waterz" argument is just a front for the real issue.

Global warming.
By Meditate 2014-08-23 11:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Until I see one charity actually "CURE" someone from the ailments that the charity is representing--- BTW, has there been one yet ?????(there getting ALS attention so they can profit from it and doing a great job) When they actually find a cure for one of these charities that they make millions off of then I wont mind helping them.. but when will that be, they just like to contain the problem then they still get paid again, again, and again.
I believe we are wasting good water just to do a stupid challenge as mentioned by someone here and there are other places short of water and we are just dumping it away so you don't have to pay.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-08-23 11:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I mean why fund medical research, we should just let nature have its way with us. Think about it, it was so nice when life expectation was 50 years.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2014-08-23 11:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Meditate said: »
I believe we are wasting good water just to do a stupid challenge as mentioned by someone here and there are other places short of water and we are just dumping it away so you don't have to pay.
To be fair we also piss and ***in good water... The water bucket challenge is just 1 more flush of a toilet for every person that does it.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 12:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So I could just call and report you and they wouldn't have to prove it at all?

Watering your lawn is something pretty easy to prove. You have a hose and it's connected to your house.

and I bet you most of the "Omg you're wasting water" crowds, spend at least twice as long in the shower as I do, lol, so they can spare me their platitudes.

Yes annoying neighbors do it all the time.

The difference is bathing/showering is a necessity. Watering your lawn and an ice bucket challenge are not.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 12:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Showering for 20 minutes isn't a necessity. Anything longer than putting water on, lathering up with soap, washing soap off is a not a necessity. If you take a 20 minute shower; and I take a 5 minute shower and do the ice bucket challenge, you wasted more water than I did, lol
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 12:11:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Showering for 20 minutes isn't a necessity. Anything longer than putting water on, lathering up with soap, washing soap off is a not a necessity. If you take a 20 minute shower; and I take a 5 minute shower and do the ice bucket challenge, you wasted more water than I did, lol

Age, disability, medical needs, these factors all justify increased shower water usage to some degree.

Grandma hurry the f up in the shower i don't give a damn if your're in a wheelchair i need to do the icebucket challenge.
By Ravenn42 2014-08-23 12:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I work as a treatment plant operator for water/wastewater shower water is treated and reused. A lot of 3rd world countries do not have the money to build treatment plants and rely on wells and rain water. We do not have problems with water shortages in US unless there is problem at a treatment plant in a specific area like what happened in ohio.

If the government would regulate ocean water treatment we would have no issues. As of right now the price to remove the salt content is said 2 be high.
 Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Taberif
By Quetzalcoatl.Taberifx 2014-08-23 12:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to actually debate on this
 Sylph.Ashiya
user: Ashee
By Sylph.Ashiya 2014-08-23 12:31:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone else notice they are doing the challenge wrong? lol they are suppose to use Ice and not cold water. Just a thought xD
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-23 12:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Age, disability, medical needs, these factors all justify increased shower water usage to some degree.

Grandma hurry the f up in the shower i don't give a damn if your're in a wheelchair i need to do the icebucket challenge.
I'm not talking about grandma. I'm talking about regular, healthy, people who just like to stand under the hot water for ridiculous amounts of times.

Or how about even this? Put a bucket in the shower with you while you shower, and use the water you collected while showering for the ice bucket challenge. Or was that drinking water, too?
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-08-23 12:51:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes in the bathtub, I fill the tub up a quarter full with cold water and then turn the shower on (also cold) and pretend I am in a submarine that's be hit by a torpedo.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 13:27:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not talking about grandma. I'm talking about regular, healthy, people who just like to stand under the hot water for ridiculous amounts of times.

Or how about even this? Put a bucket in the shower with you while you shower, and use the water you collected while showering for the ice bucket challenge. Or was that drinking water, too?

That's fine but most aren't doing that.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 13:29:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ready to find another reason to latch onto so you can continue to be Anti-Ice Bucket?

Dumping water on your head kills BABIES!!!