Ice Bucket Challenge!

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Ice Bucket Challenge!
Ice Bucket Challenge!
 Asura.Backstab
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2014-08-23 13:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah cause the ice bucket challenge isnt getting enough attention compared to stuff like the unrests in ferguson.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-23 13:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
EDIT: Additionally people are wasting clean water while people around the globe are struggling for clean water, let's not forget.
Oh boo *** hoo.

The "event" is rather stupid, so is this as an excuse to not like it.
quoting for the same feeling I had 2 days ago.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 15:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

EDIT: Additionally people are wasting clean water while people around the globe are struggling for clean water, let's not forget.
Oh boo *** hoo.

Boo *** hoo. Say hello to your DWP fine of $500 if your in my neighborhood.

You don't care about wasting clean water, well i don't care about you receiving a citation or fine because i snitched you out.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-23 15:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

If you really wanted to being awareness to ALS, just run commercials like those ones about the kids in Africa they used to show.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 15:36:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
If you really wanted to being awareness to ALS, just run commercials like those ones about the kids in Africa they used to show.
Yep, because Sarah McLachlan was able to raise 63 million dollars in under a month.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-23 15:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought she did the PETA commercials?

Edit: The should take a page from Elton John. He raises several million in just one night for his post Oscar's party every year.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 15:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Nah, hers were for the ASPCA. I think the ones in Africa had some chubby hairy dude that wasn't Rob Reiner.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 15:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Boom. Alan Sader.

Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2014-08-23 23:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boo *** hoo.

You don't care about wasting clean water, well i don't care about you receiving a citation or fine because i snitched you out.

I live in CA, USA, so I do agree it is far more pragmatic to use something that is re-usable, so as to be conscientious--but at the same time maybe create more of a challenge as well, so that paying out to the charity is more likely. Maybe #ricebucketchallenge might work. :p

Or for something more exotic, #micebucketchallenge or even #licebucketchallenge...I bet there would be a lot less people keen on opting out of the charity payment for those two fund-raisers. :p
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-23 23:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh boo *** hoo.

Get your granny panties out of a knot. I don't want to live in that shithole.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-23 23:50:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What about #slicebucketchallenge?

It says it has no caffeine. That's pretty legit.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-23 23:52:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly twitter's fault.
[+]
 Odin.Minefield
Server: Odin
user: Minefield
By Odin.Minefield 2014-08-24 00:09:17
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-24 00:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Get your granny panties out of a knot. I don't want to live in that shithole.

CA isn't the only state with a drought.

Ragnarok.Evalyn
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Evalyn 2014-08-24 00:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

The ice bucket challenge can be silly. There are people doing it, because they want to be trendy, not because they care about ALS. They aren't donating, but it spreads awareness. There are a lot of people who aren't aware of ALS, and for people dealing with ALS, it makes them feel like a weight is lifted off their shoulders, just spreading awareness is something they are SO grateful about, it's making a difference, slowly.

It's not easy knowing you're going to die, knowing there's nothing that can save you, having a time limit over your head. It's depressing, it makes you feel worthless, like you weren't meant to be here in the first place and now you're just being killed off. There's no cure, it's so rare that people aren't willing to invest the millions of dollars it takes to find and make that cure. Those people can feel themselves slowly dying, and there are people still finding reasons to live, and these challenges are giving them more and more hope. It may seem silly, but it impacts these people's spirits so much. This silly notion is giving people hope, it's making the miserable a little less depressed, it makes the weight of knowing you're going to die a little less heavy.

Whoever disagrees with me can give me as much hell as they want. I firmly stand in what I've said.
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-08-24 01:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

A little NSFW, but this is the negative side of the icebucket challenge. More about trying to get youtubefamous, than giving a ***about ALS, the video in the spoiler is the guy talking about it (and other things).
The icebucket is @ 1:20 (and called, massive tiddays icebucket)
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-27 15:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Samsung Challenges Apple’s iPhone 5S To The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Quote:
Samsung’s mobile arm in the UK tweeted out a cute video on Friday morning (via Apple Insider), which embraces the trendy ALS Ice Bucket Challenge while also showing off one of the most notable features on its flagship phone, the Galaxy S5: Water resistance.
“I am the Samsung Galaxy S5. This is my Ice Bucket Challenge,” the phone says in its British Galaxy S-Voice. “Gosh that’s freezing. I nominate the iPhone 5S the HTC One M8 and the Nokia Lumia 930.” The joke, of course, is that none of those Samsung rivals have water resistant phones.

Samsung has also opted to donate money to the British Motor Neurone Disease Association, though the company declined to say how much it was offering.

According to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, if you are challenged by another and you don’t complete your own challenge in the allotted 24-hour time frame, you must pay at least $100 to the ALS Association. It’s unlikely Apple or Microsoft’s ad agencies will be able to respond to Samsung’s 15-second challenge within 24 hours, but several executives from both of those companies have already taken part in the ice-dumping phenomenon. Apple’s marketing SVP Phil Schiller and CEO Tim Cook have both dumped buckets of ice water on their heads, and so has Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

This made me giggle a bit!
[+]