Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 34 35 36
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-21 17:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I had feelings once but alcohol ruined that.

I hear if you get too much blood in your alcohol stream, the feelings start to come back.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 17:54:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
comedy kind of gets a free pass.

Like everything, context matters. I'm sure you don't have much trouble telling when someone is joking and when they're being hurtful.

Nono. You're "inferring racism in situations where you cannot otherwise entirely quantify it", and that's prejudice.

So, everyone who isn't clairvoyant can't point out racism... got it. :)
If you guys have to put it in a conversation, you're the ones obsessed with racism.

See how Nausi did EXACTLY what I described?

He'll be subtly racist left and right, but the second you say the word, you're the one who is racist, because you're the one "bringing it up".
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 17:55:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

I hear if you get too much blood in your alcohol stream, the feelings start to come back.

Kinda wish I could put myself on a liver waiting list right now, then cryogenically freeze that *** until I need it in 30 years.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-21 17:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You just said the word "racist" twice in one sentence. You're such a racist, Ramyrez.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-21 18:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

You just said the word "racist" twice in one sentence. You're such a racist, Ramyrez.

C'mon. My bigotry only comes against religion. We all know that by now.

edit: Because my homonyms often get confused, especially after I've started drinking for the night.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-21 19:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
People have admitted to being racist?
Oh yes.

Its quite popular in the right wing blogosphere to call one's self a racist because one believes in racial differences. Stuff like blacks have greater bone density, orientals have less body hair, ashkenazi Jews score better on IQ tests, & etc.

Of course that isn't the way we are using that word here.
We all know orientals have small genitals, Chanti; no one cares about their body hair. And I think you're just trying to brag with that last one...I've never heard that out of a redneck's mouth...
Who me? Brag? About IQ? Little miss two percentile class? Heaven forbid.

Then again the only thing IQ tests can predict is how you are going to do on other IQ tests.

But in other news, point missed.
By fonewear 2014-08-22 08:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

All I have to say is:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 08:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

People have admitted to being racist?
Oh yes.

Its quite popular in the right wing blogosphere to call one's self a racist because one believes in racial differences. Stuff like blacks have greater bone density, orientals have less body hair, ashkenazi Jews score better on IQ tests, & etc.

Of course that isn't the way we are using that word here.
We all know orientals have small genitals, Chanti; no one cares about their body hair. And I think you're just trying to brag with that last one...I've never heard that out of a redneck's mouth...
Who me? Brag? About IQ? Little miss two percentile class? Heaven forbid.

Then again the only thing IQ tests can predict is how you are going to do on other IQ tests.

But in other news, point missed.

Give me some credit. The point wasn't missed. It was blatantly ignored in a lazy attempt at humor.

Though I would argue that's not the only thing IQ can predict. But it's much more helpful in the lower end of the spectrum than the higher end.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 08:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

All I have to say is:

YouTube Video Placeholder

No video at work, but it's Lewis Black, so I probably agree 100%.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-22 08:19:40
Link | Quote | Reply

it's horribly true, I'm living proof.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 08:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

So, are we still blaming Texas and Rick Perry for all of the ills in the world?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 08:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

The only thing I really hold against Texas is the ego of some people there, the ones that generally get a lot of media attention...

In reality I've played with a lot of Texans in XI and most of them have actually been pretty awesome. And a couple of them batshit crazy.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-22 08:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Like everything, context matters. I'm sure you don't have much trouble telling when someone is joking and when they're being hurtful.

Nono. You're "inferring racism in situations where you cannot otherwise entirely quantify it", and that's prejudice.

If you guys have to put it in a conversation, you're the ones obsessed with racism.

He'll be subtly racist left and right, but the second you say the word, you're the one who is racist, because you're the one "bringing it up".
You are a walking definition of my point. I am not racist, I do not say racist things, but you see racism in what I say and do. You're putting it there.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 08:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing I really hold against Texas is the ego of some people there, the ones that generally get a lot of media attention...

In reality I've played with a lot of Texans in XI and most of them have actually been pretty awesome. And a couple of them batshit crazy.

So basically like any state except Texans always remind you that they're Texans the same way New Yorkers, Californians and Floridians remind you they're in one city in a big *** state.

New York City baby.... but no one says Rochester up in 'hurr.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 09:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You are a walking definition of my point. I am not racist, I do not say racist things, but you see racism in what I say and do. You're putting it there.

This is going to go in a circle. To me (and anyone who agrees with me), you're just repeatedly proving our point. And you're never going to back down. So...whatever. Ain't no one got time for that.

For what it's worth, I believe that you believe your concepts aren't racist. I don't think you're just trying to be racist while saying you're not. I just wish you'd expand your view a bit of the subtle racisms that permeate our country.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 09:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

So basically like any state except Texans always remind you that they're Texans the same way New Yorkers, Californians and Floridians remind you they're in one city in a big *** state.

New York City baby.... but no one says Rochester up in 'hurr.

Yeah...more or less.

I notice it less from NYC because I deal with remarkably few people from NYC, and the few I do know moved there from rural Pennsylvania, so. Also, my mother's side of the family is from Western NY and a good portion of them still live there, so to me, NYC is the aberration in New York, not the rest of it!

Buffalo ftw.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 09:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Further up the state you go, the more it feels like *** rural Ohio more than New York. Open space as far as the eye can see, old manufacturing towns along the river that have been hollowed out, abandoned railways and Albany looks like something ripped out of the early 20th century.

Finger Lakes is pretty awesome but most of my experiences have been mostly in the suburbs of the city and promised land of milk and honey (peace be onto it) - Long Island.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-22 09:09:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to go in a circle. To me (and anyone who agrees with me), you're just repeatedly proving our point. And you're never going to back down. So...whatever. Ain't no one got time for that.
What did I say that was "subtly racist"?

Please enlighten me.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-08-22 09:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Why Liberal Pundits Are Wrong About the Perry Indictment - Politico magazine

Quote:
It’s much more serious than they think. Take it from us—we filed the complaint.
Selected excerpts:

Quote:
For at least 10 years, the Texas Republican Party has officially sought to strip Travis County of the public integrity unit, which prosecutes political corruption. In this bright red state, that office remains one of the few significant powers left in Democratic hands.

Last December, the integrity unit secured the indictment of an ex-official from Perry’s state cancer research fund for an improper $11 million state grant to a politically connected biotech firm....

The governor rightly argues that he has absolute authority to veto the Public Integrity Unit’s budget. Texas law does not, however, grant him authority to threaten another public official—even one who behaved as wretchedly as Lehmberg did. Notably, we filed our criminal complaint before Perry vetoed Public Integrity funding. After all, it was the governor’s threats—not his veto—that broke Texas law prohibiting an official from using the power of his or her office to coerce another official into taking an action, such as resignation....

The big lie in Perry’s PR playbook is to dismiss these charges as a partisan witch hunt. While there’s no bipartisan love between Perry and Lehmberg, Perry’s indictment has been advanced by Republicans. Recusing herself, Lehmberg referred our complaint to local Democratic Judge Julie Kocurek. Judge Kocurek also stepped aside, forwarding the matter to a Republican Perry appointee: Judge Billy Ray Stubblefield. Stubblefield assigned the case to Republican Judge Bert Richardson in San Antonio. And Judge Richardson appointed Michael McCrum as special prosecutor.

It’s hard to argue that McCrum has a partisan axe to grind. He served as a federal prosecutor under the first President Bush. The second President Bush later nominated McCrum to be a top federal prosecutor — with the backing of Texas GOP Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn. If Perry’s indictment really is a partisan witch hunt, then it is one of the Grand Old Party’s making....

And lots more.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Why Liberal Pundits Are Wrong About the Perry Indictment - Politico magazine

Quote:
It’s much more serious than they think. Take it from us—we filed the complaint.
Selected excerpts:

Quote:
For at least 10 years, the Texas Republican Party has officially sought to strip Travis County of the public integrity unit, which prosecutes political corruption. In this bright red state, that office remains one of the few significant powers left in Democratic hands.

Last December, the integrity unit secured the indictment of an ex-official from Perry’s state cancer research fund for an improper $11 million state grant to a politically connected biotech firm....

The governor rightly argues that he has absolute authority to veto the Public Integrity Unit’s budget. Texas law does not, however, grant him authority to threaten another public official—even one who behaved as wretchedly as Lehmberg did. Notably, we filed our criminal complaint before Perry vetoed Public Integrity funding. After all, it was the governor’s threats—not his veto—that broke Texas law prohibiting an official from using the power of his or her office to coerce another official into taking an action, such as resignation....

The big lie in Perry’s PR playbook is to dismiss these charges as a partisan witch hunt. While there’s no bipartisan love between Perry and Lehmberg, Perry’s indictment has been advanced by Republicans. Recusing herself, Lehmberg referred our complaint to local Democratic Judge Julie Kocurek. Judge Kocurek also stepped aside, forwarding the matter to a Republican Perry appointee: Judge Billy Ray Stubblefield. Stubblefield assigned the case to Republican Judge Bert Richardson in San Antonio. And Judge Richardson appointed Michael McCrum as special prosecutor.

It’s hard to argue that McCrum has a partisan axe to grind. He served as a federal prosecutor under the first President Bush. The second President Bush later nominated McCrum to be a top federal prosecutor — with the backing of Texas GOP Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn. If Perry’s indictment really is a partisan witch hunt, then it is one of the Grand Old Party’s making....

And lots more.
An article stating that this isn't a political witch hunt is creating a political witch hunt.

If Perry is guilty of half of these things that this article accuses him of doing, then Obama is guilty of the exact same things.

incoming Obama apologists defending Obama by stating something stupid, like "this is different" or "Perry is a Republican, so he is automatically guilty" or some stupid ***like this.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-22 09:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't give a ***about Perry. Texas, you can hold down Texas problems. This guy had like zero chance to be President and all we're getting from this right now is a political witch hunt.

Good luck with uprooting corruption, we've got a hydra here in NY to slay.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:27:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way to uproot corruption is to remove the government from power.

If this is the worst case of corruption in Texas, then we have it pretty good here. I'll take political posturing over outright fraud anyday.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-22 09:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Only way to uproot corruption is to remove the government from power.

If this is the worst case of corruption in Texas, then we have it pretty good here. I'll take political posturing over outright fraud anyday.

Not even close to the worst corruption issue in Texas. Look up the short-term lending racket Texas has going. John Oliver has a good quick piece on it on youtube.

Also, I find political corruption to works well within the bounds of the "Cockroach" rule. If you see(Hear about) one, there's ten thousand more in the walls.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Look up the short-term lending racket Texas has going.
Are you saying that this is something that is exclusive to Texas only?

I know for a fact that there are other "short-term lending rackets" in the remaining 49 states.

Unless you are referring to something else. If so, please elaborate.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 09:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the only one I find glaring at me in this specific thread. And again (I did edit my previous post), I don't think it's malicious as much as a lack of perspective.

However, if someone says "those black gang bangers are ruining downtown". That's not really directed at all black people or at all gang bangers. It's certainly is racial but I don't think you can easily conclude and call that person a racist.

It is racist. Just stop discussing race. Gangbangers ruining downtime. Fine. They happen to be black. Doesn't matter that they're black. They're criminals ruining town.

We need to let race go as a country, period. Which will take work over generations.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 09:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I know for a fact that there are other "short-term lending rackets" in the remaining 49 states.

Yeah. Payday loans are brutal.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It is racist. Just stop discussing race. Gangbangers ruining downtime. Fine. They happen to be black. Doesn't matter that they're black. They're criminals ruining town.
That's not Nausi's point.

He used "black" as an identifier. There could very well be "white gangbangers" or "Asian gangbangers" or whatnot. That's why he said: That's not really directed at all black people or at all gang bangers.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-22 09:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

He used "black" as an identifier. There could very well be "white gangbangers" or "Asian gangbangers" or whatnot. That's why he said: That's not really directed at all black people or at all gang bangers.

Just seems pointless to me qualifying them as "black".

See Mr. Freeman's picture previously.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:43:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. Payday loans are brutal.
Texas has a law that states, both in advertising and inside as a disclaimer that the lenders have to state the following: "these loans are only meant as a short-term solution and not as a long-term loan. If you need assistance with long-term lending needs or help with long-term lending, please contact (512) XXX-XXXX for free assistance and blah blah blah...."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-22 09:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Just seems pointless to me qualifying them as "black".

See Mr. Freeman's picture previously.
Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with your point.

I'm just pointing out that Nausi isn't using racial terms as a racist derogatory mean, but as an identifier to a group of people, and pointing out that people get the two confused.
First Page 2 3 ... 23 24 25 ... 34 35 36