California Debates 'yes Means Yes' Sex Assault Law

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » California debates 'yes means yes' sex assault law
California debates 'yes means yes' sex assault law
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 35 36 37
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-01 13:14:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
If these women would stop dressing so seductively, MAYBE MEN WOULD STOP RAPING THEM.

*looks at the middle east / india / pakistan*

Oh.
What a chicken ***move. But then again, I didn't expect much to start with.

Its the same shitty argument that is fielded every time someone brings up female rape. Some shitty argument about clothes or how she looks or what she decided to do when she went outside at night etc etc etc.

Sorry to blow smoke up your skirt.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-10-01 13:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If these women would stop dressing so seductively, MAYBE MEN WOULD STOP RAPING THEM.

Oh.
US has a higher rape rate, domestic violence, theft and murder rate. Forget what FOX news tells you.
Actually, O'reilly even admitted this once.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-01 13:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
So Spathos and crew believe that disagreeing with this law means you're a rapist.

Good game!

I think there's a portion of the population that seems to think false rape accusations are a far bigger problem than rape itself, and I think that particular mindset shows a startling lack of insight or consideration for anyone other than themselves.

I really don't think the law is nearly as problematic as these folks seem to think it is. It's probably not ideal, but ideal would be not needing to worry about rapists because they wouldn't be, you know. A thing that exists.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-01 13:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

So Sparthos and crew believe that disagreeing with this law means you're a rapist.

Good game!

Strawman Sparthy maybe.

But whatever it takes for you to 'win' the game bro.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-01 13:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.
US has a higher reported rape rate and a broader definition of rape.

Fixed.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-01 13:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

or what she decided to do when she went outside at night
if what she decided to do was get drunk and have sex with someone, then yea

the rest has me wondering if you even read the thread or are just throwing out premade feminist responses at everyone

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-01 13:17:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.
US has a higher rape rate, domestic violence, theft and murder rate. Forget what FOX news tells you.
Actually, O'reilly even admitted this once.

Higher reported I can buy, higher actual rape rates I'd like to see some research on, since I'm sure reliable data is nearly impossible.

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
or what she decided to do when she went outside at night
if what she decided to do was get drunk and have sex with someone, then yea

the rest has me wondering if you even read the thread or are just throwing out premade feminist responses at everyone

He's countering the premade victim shaming responses with premade feminist ones. I don't know if he planned on being that cynical, but if so, it's gone over a lot of heads.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 13:17:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Oh.

Fixed.
Only cause the US actually reports all or nearly all rape cases in the country.

Other countries, like most of Africa and the Middle East, generally don't report it period.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Higher reported I can buy, higher actual rape rates I'd like to see some research on, since I'm sure reliable data is nearly impossible.
That too.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-10-01 13:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
So basically where you are coming from is that your own existance inherently makes you culpable in everything that happens related to yourself?

Yes! You are responsible for the events that result from your own existence. I mean are you really saying that someone else is?

That doesn't mean you can't still be the victim of a crime.
I just don't want to be in that room when you start telling that little girl that she should of done more not to be raped by her father.

Existing does not make you culpable of crimes committed against you. You may be able to control your own actions but you can not control all outside forces. The path you're following pretty much takes that stance that even if you do everything you possibly can to avoid or prevent something if it happens its still your fault that it happened. That's ridiculous.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-10-01 13:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Oh.

Fixed.

Other countries, like most of Africa and the Middle East, generally don't report it period.

And who can blame these women for not reporting it, really?

When the option is report it and be murdered in an "honor killing".
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-10-01 13:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

So Spathos and crew believe that disagreeing with this law means you're a rapist.

Good game!

I think there's a portion of the population that seems to think false rape accusations are a far bigger problem than rape itself, and I think that particular mindset shows a startling lack of insight or consideration for anyone other than themselves.

I really don't think the law is nearly as problematic as these folks seem to think it is. It's probably not ideal, but ideal would be not needing to worry about rapists because they wouldn't be, you know. A thing that exists.

Rape is wrong. This law is not going to prevent rape. It complicates sexual intercourse. This law is not going to reduce rape, it is going to increase false accusations.

Can you not see how?

Please tell me how this law is going to decrease rape rates.
People who were raping already knew it was illegal. Those are the rapists we are talking about right? we're not talking about the unlucky schmuck who gets laid by a nutter who changes her mind the next day, are we?
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-01 13:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I'm sure there are plenty of of false rape accusations, I don't know what % that would be, but I'm sure it's fairly big.

BUT, being found not guilty due to a lack of evidence doesn't mean it wasn't a rape, they just weren't able to prove it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/1o74n7/facts_and_statistics_about_false_rape_claims_a/

Sources cited, before someone sees reddit and shits themselves about credibility.

Quote:
TLDR:
-At least 6% of rape claims are false
-The vast majority of rape claims are unknown whether they are true or false
-The 6% figure does not include mistaken accusations where the accuser was raped but named the wrong defendant
-The 6% figure only includes those cases where there is strong proof it was false
-False rape claims often result in serious harm, even the ones that do not end in conviction
-Punishing false accusers does not mean that a genuine rape accuser would be prosecuted if they could not prove they were raped
-False rape claims are 4x more common than false claims of other crimes
-Rape victims receive a lot of help, but false rape claim victims receive virtually none - this should be changed.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 13:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.

Fixed.

You have to look at the other extreme too.

Where people are being accused of rape and losing their livelihoods because of the accusation alone.

If I was even hinted at being accused, I could lose my license almost immediately.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-01 13:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.

Fixed.

Where people are being accused of rape and losing their livelihoods because of the accusation alone.

If I was even hinted at being accused, I could lose my license almost immediately.

Well, according to Nausi it's their own fault for putting themselves in the position to be falsely accused.

Which is why so many rich and/or famous people rely on high-priced prostitutes instead of taking their pick of all the hot people who want to sleep with them.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-01 13:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Good game!

Rape is wrong. This law is not going to prevent rape. It complicates sexual intercourse. This law is not going to reduce rape, it is going to increase false accusations.

Can you not see how?

Please tell me how this law is going to decrease rape rates.
People who were raping already knew it was illegal. Those are the rapists we are talking about right? we're not talking about the unlucky schmuck who gets laid by a nutter who changes her mind the next day, are we?

If you consider having sex with someone who is so drunk they couldn't fight back if they wanted to something other than rape, I could see how the law would be counterproductive. However, just because she isn't screaming and kicking doesn't mean it's consensual. If nothing else, this law will deter people from engaging in sex with someone whose state isn't clear, which can only reduce the potential for rape.

Like I said in the other thread, I despise the government being in the bedroom, but this law has specific enough language to minimize collateral damage, and illegitimate rape claims are far from a new thing.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-01 13:23:12
Link | Quote | Reply

He's countering the premade victim shaming responses with premade feminist ones. I don't know if he planned on being that cynical, but if so, it's gone over a lot of heads.

We've got a READER here.
By Nazrious 2014-10-01 13:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.

Fixed.

Oh, the foolishness.

Rape in these countries would make you vomit, a lot of the rape that goes on is straight up sick twisted, and now you are my rape wise for life or until I see fit to kill you type stuff.

Real rape is not cool.

However all the confusion around Rape stems from a societal norm which creates way to much oppurtunity for Rape to occur.

Women else where are highly protected and sheltered in some instances because people are a radical extreme and also because Men are pretty much dawgs and women are for the most part weaker (physically).

People are bad, according to what society deems as good.

Don't let you daughter go out thinking the word NO is a magic shield and she is entitled to go out and have fun ... she will get raped eventually.

The only "Right" a person has is to Die, that's it the only thing you are sure to get out of life is death, nothing else. Hell even that can be forcibly delayed/ postponed.
By Ramyrez 2014-10-01 13:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, I do actually feel that malignant false accusations of any type should be punished comensurate with the level of punishment befitting the falsely accused, had they been convicted.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-01 13:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure there are plenty of of false rape accusations, I don't know what % that would be, but I'm sure it's fairly big.

BUT, being found not guilty due to a lack of evidence doesn't mean it wasn't a rape, they just weren't able to prove it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/1o74n7/facts_and_statistics_about_false_rape_claims_a/

Sources cited, before someone sees reddit and shits themselves about credibility.

Quote:
TLDR:
-The 6% figure does not include mistaken accusations where the accuser was raped but named the wrong defendant
-The 6% figure only includes those cases where there is strong proof it was false
-False rape claims often result in serious harm, even the ones that do not end in conviction
-Punishing false accusers does not mean that a genuine rape accuser would be prosecuted if they could not prove they were raped
-Rape victims receive a lot of help, but false rape claim victims receive virtually none - this should be changed.

Only marginally more cases are considered proven true, from what I could find, about 9% of rape accusations are proven in court, fully less than 15% of rape accusations lead to any kind of conviction, and as many as 8/10 rapes are never reported. There is a LOT of gray area on the subject.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-10-01 13:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh.

Fixed.

Well, according to Nausi it's their own fault for putting themselves in the position to be falsely accused.

Which is why so many rich and/or famous people rely on high-priced prostitutes instead of taking their pick of all the hot people who want to sleep with them.

No he didn't. He said clearly that they should be smarter about it, especially if they've read the amount of stupidity on a forum like this or the proposed law itself. What man in their right mind is going to ever sleep with a woman who hasn't signed a contract in Cali if this law is passed?
If they don't, they're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Doesn't make them criminal though.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 13:25:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
The way Nausi tries to further victimize the victims, then subsequently preach about a culture of victimization in other threads, shows that he's one of the "Legitimate Rape" guys. Nothing more needs be said.

You clearly don't understand what I'm saying one iota.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 13:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
To think that every woman out there is chomping at the bit to nail you for rape because you failed to deliver in bed is textbook misogyny. Get over yourself, you're not that special. I'm more worried about a number of other far more pressing concerns than being rape-bombed by some chick. Like catching an STD.
Back to the personal arguments. Nobody can have an opinion without being invested, got it.

While we're at it, the 'regret' portion of false allegations is usually because their bf/family/someone found out and the only way they can rationalize it is saying it was rape. They get pressured into talking to the police after that. It's nothing to do with sexual performance.

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
There's false accusation of pretty much everything. This law passing or not is not going to affect any of this.

this law makes false accusations essentially guaranteed to land, even if the actual conditions were not something any rational person would consider a crime
No it doesn't.
you don't need to get a conviction to ruin someone's life with your accusations, countless people are fired, kicked out of universities, or otherwise have their lives destroyed by just the allegation

rape is already the most frequent crime to have false allocations, with all estimates putting it over 4x as high as the next frequent.. women don't need more tools to do so

Being convicted of rape doesn't mean it occurred either, just that a judge/jury was able to be convinced that it did.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-10-01 13:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
TLDR:

Only marginally more cases are considered proven true, from what I could find, about 9% of rape accusations are proven in court, fully less than 15% of rape accusations lead to any kind of conviction, and as many as [b]8/10 rapes are never reported.[/b] There is a LOT of gray area on the subject.

So rape is even more widespread in the US than the figures reported? yeah bash India and Pakistan and "middle east" some more.
Definition of rape there is a lot more sane than this ***; She says no, resists and you continue = rape.
US - she doesn't say anything at all, sucks yo c_ck and it could be rape!!!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-01 13:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Only marginally more cases are considered proven true, from what I could find, about 9% of rape accusations are proven in court, fully less than 15% of rape accusations lead to any kind of conviction, and as many as 8/10 rapes are never reported. There is a LOT of gray area on the subject.
That's one of the main points of the article. If you trust the methodology and assume 9% are proven true, 6% are proven false, and 85% are unknown.. you have a value between 6% and 91% for false claims and a value between 9% and 94% for true claims. I realize it's not an exact parallel between proven false and proven true, but if the distribution was the same in the unsolved cases you'd be looking at 40% false 60% true..
[+]
By Nazrious 2014-10-01 13:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
TLDR:

Only marginally more cases are considered proven true, from what I could find, about 9% of rape accusations are proven in court, fully less than 15% of rape accusations lead to any kind of conviction, and as many as [b]8/10 rapes are never reported.[/b] There is a LOT of gray area on the subject.

So rape is even more widespread in the US than the figures reported? yeah bash India and Pakistan and "middle east" some more.
Definition of rape there is a lot more sane than this ***; She says no, resists and you continue = rape.

In fairness thats only in Cali.

Those people seem to be full of a whole lot of something over there, glad there is most of a continent between me and them.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-01 13:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
TLDR:

You might want to read a little deeper rather than rushing to your offended state so quickly. Jassik had the right of it: The premade clothes/situation arguments are so tiring and stock in the US that it's worth pointing out that in countries where women are essentially livestock and covered up fully, rape still happens.

Stop talking about *** clothes, start talking about societies where men think it's OK to take ***by force.
[+]
By Nazrious 2014-10-01 13:34:02
Link | Quote | Reply

That's one of the main points of the article. If you trust the methodology and assume 9% are proven true, 6% are proven false, and 85% are unknown.. you have a value between 6% and 91% for false claims and a value between 9% and 94% for true claims. I realize it's not an exact parallel between proven false and proven true, but if the distribution was the same in the unsolved cases you'd be looking at 40% false 60% true..

None of this matters, nor is it how any of this works.

Geico man...

To make any claim as determining the amount of unreported rape and call it more then speculation is idiotic and people who do it aught to be shot.

This is wrong, bad logic, bad statistical analysis.

Don't encourage further use of crap made up numbers.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-10-01 13:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
TLDR:

That's not what I or he said. How can you expect to be taken seriously when you say stuff like this? By your metric if you hit a woman over the head with a baseball bat then have sex with her while she's unconscious, it's only assault because she didn't try to stop the sex?

Just when I think there isn't a single good argument for drone strikes...
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-01 13:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Nazrious said: »
None of this matters, nor is it how any of this works.

Geico man...

To make any claim as determining the amount of unreported rape and call it more then speculation is idiotic and people who do it aught to be shot.

This is wrong, bad logic, bad statistical analysis.

Don't encourage further use of crap made up numbers.
numbers are on amount of rape accusations that are false, not amount of rape occuring

obviously it's absurd to assume anything about the amount occuring
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 35 36 37