Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 915 916 917 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-09-04 09:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
So let me get this straight.
This woman had a job.
She refuses to do the job.
Court steps in and says "do the job".
Woman still won't do the job.
Now court sends her to jail for not doing the job?
Since when was having a job something enforced by law?
Don't do your job = fired
Don't do your job should not = go to jail.
This isn't Soviet Russia FFS.
She is an elected official. She cannot be fired. She can only be impeached.

She has been held in contempt of court for failure to preform her duties.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 13:54:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinton is "sorry" about the confusion over her emails, democrats decry faux scandal"

Quote:
Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton said on Friday she was sorry that her use of a personal email account while secretary of state caused confusion, in her most contrite comments yet about an issue that is plaguing her White House bid.

Clinton, the Democratic front-runner ahead of the November 2016 presidential election, did not apologize for her own behavior but said she was wrong not to use a government email account when she was serving as the nation's top diplomat.

"At the end of the day I am sorry that this has been confusing to people and has raised a lot of questions but there are answers to all these questions," she told MSNBC in an interview.

Clinton has faced steady criticism from political opponents since it emerged in March that she used her own email account on an unsecured private server in her New York home for official business, rather than a government-issued email address.

"I certainly wish that I had made a different choice and I know why the American people have questions about it," Clinton said. "I take responsibility. I should have had two accounts, one for personal and one for work-related," she said.

Doubts over Clinton's trustworthiness have damaged her poll numbers, allowing liberal Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders to narrow the gap with her as the first nominating contests for the election approach early next year.

Clinton said that while she should have behaved differently, she had done nothing wrong. "It was allowed and it was fully above board. The people in the government knew that I was using a personal account," she said.

The FBI is now investigating the security of the private server and any classified information on it.

In other words, she is sorry that people are confused about her doing government work on a private, unsecured email server. But she still believes she did nothing wrong, even though she used no .gov email, all email went to her private server, and she was given access to classified information, even some of the emails recovered were classified. But she still did nothing wrong.

And the liberals are decrying faux scandal....

I'm sure if Bush deleted government emails, they would be out there with pitchforks....
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-04 13:58:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Liberal use of industry terms incorrectly... "Unsecured" refers to encryption, access, etc, not that it wasn't located in a secured government building.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 14:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Liberal use of industry terms incorrectly... "Unsecured" refers to encryption, access, etc, not that it wasn't located in a secured government building.
So you are saying that her private email server had equal or better security than the US government?

Also, it was shown that her email server was vulnerable to hackers...

But I'm sure you would still say this is a faux scandal....
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-04 14:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So you are saying that her private email server had equal or better security than the US government?

I said nothing about it being a faux scandal, I'm talking strictly about the misuse of the term. Is it less secure than the government servers? Physically, most certainly. But, the obscurity of it's location on the web is a big feather in it's cap, and every connected device is vulnerable to hackers. People that say "it was vulnerable to hackers" or "unsecured private server" really have no clue what they're talking about, they're just reciting what some other tool said because it sounds good.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 14:19:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I said nothing about it being a faux scandal, I'm talking strictly about the misuse of the term. Is it less secure than the government servers? Physically, most certainly. But, the obscurity of it's location on the web is a big feather in it's cap, and every connected device is vulnerable to hackers.
I'm not saying that her email was "physically" hacked. But are you saying that it was protected by the same firewall and other security measures as other .gov emails?

Seems like it to me.

People that say "it was vulnerable to hackers" or "unsecured private server" really have no clue what they're talking about, they're just reciting what some other tool said because it sounds good.
Strange, this coming from you.

Makes you sound like a hypocrite, since you like to toss buzz words all the time....

Still can't believe you are ok with her using a private email server for government work...
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-04 14:29:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not saying that her email was "physically" hacked. But are you saying that it was protected by the same firewall and other security measures as other .gov emails?

Seems like it to me.

Unsecured means data is stored in plain text, no user permissions are required to access data, etc. It was not "unsecured". It is almost certainly less secure than the government servers, but it's complete ignorance to say "unsecured" or "vulnerable to hackers".

Also, what the heck does "physically hacked" mean? Is that like someone went into her server closet with a fireman's axe? Firewalls have holes by design, every opening is a vulnerability. Smart security guys minimize the points of access and practice security by obscurity by redirecting traffic away from commonly known ports. That said, there's only about 25K ports in the TCP/UDP model, so any opening can and will be discovered and probed for vulnerabilities given enough time. Everything is vulnerable if it's connected, period.

Strange, this coming from you.

Makes you sound like a hypocrite, since you like to toss buzz words all the time....

Yeah, those crazy buzzwords I toss around all the time... like kanban, hacker, and unsecured. Remember, kids, attacks don't have to be true as long as they sound cool.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-04 15:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

it's complete ignorance to say "unsecured" or "vulnerable to hackers".
Everything is vulnerable if it's connected, period.

Hard to tell if Jassik is arguing with himself or with KN. I don't think he cares as long as he is splitting hairs or arguing something pointless.

You agree that the security on her entire email setup was substandard and reckless.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-04 15:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It is almost certainly less secure than the government servers

Having spent a fair amount of time in my career with government contracts, I'd be pretty surprised if this were the case. The government systems I had to deal with were always less bolted down than the private enterprises that actually cared about security, which I'm guessing she did.

I think it was still kind of a ridiculous thing to do, given the incredible political fallout when it was inevitable discovered, but this notion that fed boxes are super secure is dubious at best.

All computer security is fallible, and the bigger the organization, the more likely there are holes.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-04 15:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Hard to tell if Jassik is arguing with himself or with KN. I don't think he cares as long as he is splitting hairs or arguing something pointless.

You agree that the security on her entire email setup was substandard and reckless.

I don't know what kind of security she used, but it's presumptuous to say it was substandard or reckless.

Technical terms have specific meanings for very good reason; the term conveys a large amount of information. What good is a technical vocabulary if nobody knows what the words mean because ignorant people constantly misuse them?

Powell and Rumsfeld both had private email servers, would you assume that they were recklessly unsecured?

Drama Torama said: »
Having spent a fair amount of time in my career with government contracts, I'd be pretty surprised if this were the case.

In the physical sense,.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:08:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Ignore Jassik, he is babbling nonsense now.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:16:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Hilary's emails have no impact on how I feel about her personally
How about ignoring Federal Regulations regarding record keeping, by deleting said emails and not releasing them to the State Department after her tenure?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

How about ignoring Federal Regulations regarding record keeping, by deleting said emails and not releasing them to the State Department after her tenure?

Personally, I still don't care and it wouldn't impact my likelihood of voting for her or not.
Would you care if GWB or another prominent Republican figure did the same thing?

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-04 15:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not conceivable that it doesn't effect someone's chance of voting for her because there was already no chance?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-04 15:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I still don't care and it wouldn't impact my likelihood of voting for her or not.
Would you care if GWB or another prominent Republican figure did the same thing?

Unless the person was actively sharing our nations secrets and not just violating protocol. Then there's no reason to go nuts like we are. Its only because of who she is.

Considering how we are hacked by China. I think using a personal server or Blackberry is nothing to go nuts over.

I agree with Rooks in that private entities are more aware of their security than government.

She and her spokesman both pretend to not know what it means for them to have "wiped the server"
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-09-04 15:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

wow lol

Thats kinda sad really.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-04 15:27:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure she stayed married for business.

edit: but pure speculation, maybe they really love each other
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:28:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless the person was actively sharing our nations secrets and not just violating protocol. Then there's no reason to go nuts like we are. Its only because of who she is.
You do realize the whole point of having a private email server for government use, right?

Also, I'm positive that you would go ballistic if a Republican did this. Don't worry, when a Republican gets caught doing the exact same thing, and you go ballistic, I will make sure to rub this in your face.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-09-04 15:28:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Rooks in that private entities are more aware of their security than government.

That's not quite what I said.

The ones that give a ***about security? Yes, they are, because the have the agility to do the right thing, not the regulation-defined thing.

Most private enterprises are as bad or worse, because they either don't care, or don't know. The regulations are good for gov't security in this sense. The ceiling isn't as high but there's a minimum floor.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »

That's not quite what I said.

The ones that give a ***about security? Yes, they are, because the have the agility to do the right thing, not the regulation-defined thing.

Most private enterprises are as bad or worse, because they either don't care, or don't know. The regulations are good for gov't security in this sense. The ceiling isn't as high but there's a minimum floor.
Also, regulations state that the SOS must release all mail correspondence to the Library of Congress for recordkeeping purposes. Which she did not do.

But that's perfectly ok with some people, it seems....

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

You do realize the whole point of having a private email server for government use, right?

Also, I'm positive that you would go ballistic if a Republican did this. Don't worry, when a Republican gets caught doing the exact same thing, and you go ballistic, I will make sure to rub this in your face.

You are so partisan that to you this has to be the case.
News flash I'm not like you.
So, you don't know the whole purpose of a high ranking government employee having a private email server. It's ok to admit it, nobody will look at you differently.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-04 15:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I thought you wouldn't know.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody