Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-26 20:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The only part I left is out is when I went to see the prosecutor at first, like with most municipal courts.

Even the prosecutor didn't have any information other than what the code was. She then said, ok you'll have to go in front of judge and ask for another court date in order to retrieve the specific information about the incident from the officer.

So how could I possibly prepare for a trial, without knowing any details and even having the prosecutor tell me there would be another court date in order to provide me with the details once they got a hold of the officer?

Thankfully I knew not to testify. And how could the officer's testimony be considered proof when he lied about weather conditions that could easily be verified?

I definitely want a transcript of the case now.

The judge said I had 20 days to file an appeal, but I'm not sure if I still can given that I signed up for community service.

I got time to press the issue, and it's not like they have any proof other than testimony that it was clear weather conditions at dusk, not even a time given or a road and I'm guessing the town by where the officer is from, but that's just my speculation.

Not denying that I do toss butts out the window, but the whole process seemed rather shady at best. Why lie about weather condition while under oath?

I know with speeding tickets they can sometimes take a snapshot of your license plate and send a ticket in the mail, but there's no proof here.

I honestly think they thought they could make some quick cash off of me and finally found out I was going to drag them through the whole legal process instead.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-26 20:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This was reported by the daily buzz:

Grumpy neighbor tries to shutdown lemonade stand, community fights back

Quote:
Twelve-year-old T.J. Guerrero has been running his lemonade stand in Dunedin, Florida, since he was 10. It's his way of chipping in, he told reporters, often using the money he raises to help out his parents and grandparents.

"I really just want to help my family," T.J. told ABC Action News. "I think it shows other kids that you don't always have to take money from your parents. You can help them, too."

And while most of the neighbourhood is supportive of T.J. and his year-round lemonade stand, one grumpy neighbour wants it shut down.

The neighbour, identified as Doug Wilkey, has filed at least four complaints against the stand with City Hall in the last two years, claiming that the lemonade stand is a nuisance, illegal, and has reduced his property value — a claim other neighbours considered ridiculous.

"If this were a once a year event by a couple kids to earn a little money for a holiday or something, I would not have a problem with it," Wilkey wrote in an email, the Tampa Bay Times reported. "I am very worried about the value of my home, which is why I built in a residential area, not a business area."

[ More Daily Buzz: Palestinians start Rubble Bucket Challenge ]

"That is absolutely crazy. Someone drives by and sees a 12-year-old selling lemonade, that inflates property value!" said Todd Raymond, a resident for more than 15 years.

Wilkey also wrote that that the city could "face repercussion in the event someone became ill from spoiled/contaminated food or drink sales."

"We're not in the business of trying to regulate kids like that; nor do we want to do any code enforcement like that," Greg Rice, Dunedin’s planning and development director, told the Tampa Bay Times. "We are not out there trying to put lemonade stands out of business."

While Dunedin has no plans to shut down the boy's lemonade business, Wilkey's complaints got national attention.

T.J. refused to close up shop. And thanks to the surrounding community, his lemonade stand business is doing better than ever.

After a local radio station encouraged listeners to visit T.J.'s stand, a crowd lined up for $1 lemonade and 50-cent cookies. Even the mayor stopped by.

"I think it is a great show of entrepreneurship. This 12-year-old is setting a great example. I don't know what the other neighbour’s problem is, but I would like to talk to him to try to figure it out," Mayor Dave Eggers told ABC Action News.

T.J. made $600 in just two hours.

The young entrepreneur said the opposition to his stand only made him more driven to succeed.

"I know my one neighbour does not support this. But it makes me want to work even harder. I just can't believe all these people care. It makes me feel so wonderful," T.J. said.

Wilkey will have his wish for a lemonade-stand-free street granted — eventually. T.J. plans to apply for a bagger position at Publix when he turns 14.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-26 21:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, lower court judges (actually all judges) kind of make the law up as they go along, it's sad.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-26 21:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Yeah, lower court judges (actually all judges) kind of make the law up as they go along, it's sad.

"Cuz the cop said so" shouldn't be allowed as a substitute for actual proof ever. Talk about an open window for corruption.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-26 21:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

"Cuz the cop said so" shouldn't be allowed as a substitute for actual proof ever. Talk about an open window for corruption.
Forget the window, they just blew open the entire side of a building with that allowance.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-26 21:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It's been awhile, but agreed.

Honestly I think they make the fines in such a way that a cost analysis will always come out in favor of just paying whatever the fine is versus hiring a lawyer.

I don't want my financials to be revealed in any kind of attempt to consult a public defender, as technically I make $0 in money in the U.S. while still paying my bills on time, paying off all my student loans, and somehow magically being able to afford health insurance, as crappy as it is.

I found the change to community service to be funny. They went from 5 days (30 hours, 6 hours per day) to 1 day (6 hours) and technically it's from 8am-noon (so 4 hours).

Luckily it's not the typical stuff, like cleaning up garbage or whatever, it's light paperwork as they called it.

I really want to peruse the matter more and I have the time to do so, but cost wise now that I think about it, meh, not worth it.

That $564 is better used buying up some more silver while it's below $20 an ounce anyways, lmao.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-26 21:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

Forget the window, they just blew open the entire side of a building with that allowance.
I was reading up on it on the internet, so take it for what that's worth, that because traffic court is considered civil and not criminal the judge will always side with the cop unless I can "prove my innocence." Forget the legal term they used to describe this. But that was the gist of it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-26 22:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Great Yahoo article, they fail to mention who was #1.

Quote:
Fox News Channel is regularly No. 1 in cable news, but last week it was No. 2 across all of cable — a rare feat for the channel. CNN did not crack the Top 10 and MSNBC finished outside the Top 25.

The last time that FNC was second across cable in total day was April 15, 2013's coverage of the Boston Marathon bombing. In primetime, Fox last accomplished the feat July 14 of this year, which was during breaking news of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 and turmoil on the Gaza Strip.

Last week, cable news benefitted from the Ferguson, Mo. protests, the ISIS beheading of journalist James Foley, and the Northern California earthquake.

For the total day metric — which Nielsen measures from 3 a.m. to 3 a.m. — FNC led cable news nets with 1.261 million total viewers (247,000 in the key 25-54 demographic).

CNN was second with 648,000 total viewers (220,000 in the demo). MSNBC was third with 368,000 total viewers (111,000 in the demo).

In primetime, Fox News earned 2.248 total viewers, 365,000 in the demo. CNN received 821,000 total viewers, 316,000. MSNBC got 597,000 total viewers, 158,000 in the demo.

Last week, FNC's “The Kelly File” hit a demo high for the year.

“Hannity” pulled in its largest total audience and the biggest demo number since it moved to 10 p.m. last year.

It certainly didn't hurt that this is August and other cable viewing is generally down in the summer.
Fox News Finishes No. 2 Across All Cable in Total Day for First Time Since Boston Bombing
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-26 22:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Preponderance of evidence?
Burden of proof is lower in civil cases so, yeah, your word against his or hers is the case most of the time I'd imagine.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-26 22:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

In a lot of ways, lower courts are setup in such a way that taking some kind of plea is favorable to actually fighting it. They are little more than revenue generators for the city/county and their associated programs.

I was in court 3 separate days in the last 6 months (jury duty and as a witness), almost every case was a domestic battery (almost every one was nothing more than an argument that a neighbor reported), and all but one were plead to disturbing the peace which carried a $500 fine inclusive of court costs and a domestic abuse evaluation. I did a little research on these evaluations and found that about 95% of them recommend 52 weeks of treatment at the person's expense. And virtually every case was being tried by a city prosecutor, who apparently answer directly to the business association, and not the city counsel.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-26 22:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Burden of proof is lower in civil cases so, yeah, your word against his or hers is the case most of the time I'd imagine.

Its my understanding that in criminal cases, the burden of proof is on the prosecution, and witnesses aren't assumed credible by default. That's the purpose of testifying to character and voir dire. If it's his word against the officer's, the court should assume they are equally incredible unless evidence is offered that corroborates one story or another. Barring any additional evidence to support either testimony, it should be a dismissal. But, since Chaos didn't testify on his own behalf and offered no evidence that invalidated the character or testimony of the officer, its nobody's word against the officer.

I'm not a lawyer, but that's my understanding of the process, if someone has more knowledge of it, it would be nice to get some input.
By fonewear 2014-08-26 22:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I pretend to be a lawyer so objection overruled.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-26 22:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Yeah that sounds like the legal term I read.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-26 22:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I pretend to be a lawyer so objection overruled.

I shout "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" at random strangers. The ones that don't punch me respect me for my lawyer-like acumen.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-27 00:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Can you help win back the senate?

Quote:
Giopi is searching for golden keys to “unlock” the Senate. Initially blocking your path are "job destroying Taxers" -- Goomba-like enemies sent by Harry Reid and President Obama determined to ruin your quest. To suppress them, you'll have to get your Mario on and squash them with a jump. Take out a Taxer and you'll hear a soundbite from Obama, Reid, and other prominent Democrats. Level two adds Mudslingers, who "hurl false and empty rhetoric."

Once you've completed the first two levels, the game congratulates you on finding enough keys to to unlock a group of volunteers to make calls and knock on doors. Then it sends you on a quest to find more keys. Should you stick with the game through the final level, you'll have to find six switches, each of which represents a state electing a Republican senator.
The Republicans made a video game featuring an elephant named Giopi

Link to Game.

How far can you get?
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-27 01:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Oh nevermind.

All I'm saying is that while I'm an advocate of freedom of information, there is a reason most stuff that is classified is as such. Not everything classified is a government coverup. And even some of the things that may be are still beneficial to us as a country and individual people.

No, actually there is a serious problem with over-classification at the moment. Mis-using the tool because of embarrassment or ideological issues. The executive branch has been called on the carpet quite a few times since Executive Order 13292 for classifying documents that should not be classified and been court ordered to release parts of the documents.

However, that does not always work out well. Where entire documents are released where only the footnotes can be viewed as everything else is redacted.

Then there are local police departments who think they have the right to classify documents (looking at you NY city) when they do not.

There is a definite need for classification but those in power for the last 15 years have also shown a tendency to mis-use it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-08-27 01:20:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Neil deGrasse Tyson said:
“In 2002, having spent more than three years in one residence for the first time in my life, I got called for jury duty. I show up on time, ready to serve. When we get to the voir dire, the lawyer says to me, “I see you’re an astrophysicist. What’s that?” I answer, “Astrophysics is the laws of physics, applied to the universe—the Big Bang, black holes, that sort of thing.” Then he asks, “What do you teach at Princeton?” and I say, “I teach a class on the evaluation of evidence and the relative unreliability of eyewitness testimony.” Five minutes later, I’m on the street.

A few years later, jury duty again. The judge states that the defendant is charged with possession of 1,700 milligrams of cocaine. It was found on his body, he was arrested, and he is now on trial. This time, after the Q&A is over, the judge asks us whether there are any questions we’d like to ask the court, and I say, “Yes, Your Honor. Why did you say he was in possession of 1,700 milligrams of cocaine? That equals 1.7 grams. The ‘thousand’ cancels with the ‘milli-’ and you get 1.7 grams, which is less than the weight of a dime.” Again I’m out on the street.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson, Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 07:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-27 07:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So here's something I learned today.

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 08:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the great PSAs for children in my childhood.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 08:02:13
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 08:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

For the record, Freddie the Fish was my favorite, probably because of the boating we always did.
By fonewear 2014-08-27 08:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Never mind here is a picture of a feminist:

[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-08-27 09:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

cold winter
cold summer
Old Farmers Almanac calling for early and cold winter.

The person currently residing in the White House decides this is a good idea.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/us/politics/obama-pursuing-climate-accord-in-lieu-of-treaty.html?_r=0
By fonewear 2014-08-27 09:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Global cooling Fonzie told me so.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-27 09:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
cold winter
cold summer

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/27/us/politics/obama-pursuing-climate-accord-in-lieu-of-treaty.html?_r=0
Besides fund raising (which is what this is really trying to achieve), playing golf, and planning his next vacation, it's all Obama can really do for next 2 years.

Just wait until 2016 and hopefully Hillary Clinton will be elected, cause she'll fix everything with a little political magic.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 09:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

If we don't stop global warming by 2016 we are doomed I tells ya !
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-27 09:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
cold winter
cold summer

Altima, will you please show us on the doll where the climate change lobbyist touched you?

Seriously. If your anti-climate-change anger were rated on a Viagra scale of "how long this errection has lasted", you'd be at 5+ hours and should be contacting a doctor.

Like, at this point, I don't care if the planet melts or freezes, I just want you to find a new obsession to post about in all threads regardless of topic.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-27 09:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey global warming is real and scary. I'm hiding under a table as I'm writing this.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-27 09:39:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
it's all Obama can really do for next 2 years.

Well... It beats picking up cigarette butts on the freeway jackass!!!

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

/whipcrack
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 1375 1376 1377