Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 13:32:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
how is that story good?

He said "good story". Not "positive news" or "happy".

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 13:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Here's a good story:

Quote:
Two polls released this week both ask a question that you would hope wouldn't need asking: how many people support the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)? Unfortunately, in all four countries surveyed, the answer is greater than zero, and by a lot.

Here is a chart of the results of the polls. The first, by ICM Research, asked people in Germany, France, and the UK whether they had a favorable or unfavorable view of ISIS. The second, by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion, asked Gazans whether they support or oppose ISIS. Here are the results.

This is alarming, in part because a growing number of Europeans, often from predominantly Muslim immigrant communities, are not just expressing their support for ISIS in polls: they are traveling to Syria and Iraq to join up. The ISIS fighter who killed American journalist James Foley on video last week spoke with a strong London accent. European governments are rightly worried about the implications of this for their own national security.

But there's more going on here. It's no secret that far-right politics have been on the rise in Western Europe, which includes a growing willingness to embrace extremism and greater intolerance of all kinds. It is ironic but by no means impossible that far-right Islamophobia would rise in Europe alongside a greater approval of the Islamist group ISIS. Extremism is often reactive and ideologically contradictory.
One in six French people say they support ISIS
Wow, what a biased story.

If I didn't know better, I would say that the author/editor is trying to correlate ISIS with conservative values.

Oh wait, that is exactly what they are trying to do.

A little premature, don't you think?
By Jetackuu 2014-08-26 13:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Jetackuu said: »

I had a long winded explanation of things he's ignoring or didn't consider, and basically why he's wrong, and not tearing anything apart, but the keyboard on this laptop sucks (more specifically the touchpad).

So again: proof? because that's nothing more than a naysayer, not evidence.

The mathematics behind it are sound. And so are the material sciences that show it as impractical. And then add on the economic impossibility of the endeavor.

I get it, you're invested personally in the pipe dream, you want it to be true so bad, but if you can't take a moment to divorce yourself from that, there's no point in explaining it or citing it further.

I've got a better idea, find me one scientist (ThunderF00T AKA Phil Mason is a PhD in Chemistry) that says this concept is even remotely possible.

I've never seen anyone with even a modicum of academic credence show how this Solar Roadways is possible, and that's all the proof I need.

Again: citation needed, as that bad video's poor use of calculating costs is dishonest at best.

I have a degree in electronics, and know some BS and MA's (not Ph.d's in engineering (inb4 Howard joke) and we all think it's good.

I'm sure there's more backing it, but I'd have to take time off from killing these leeches to do so, and I have a time restraint today, so I'll get back to you.

Yeah, you better, because I don't buy it. Even under optimal conditions the product creates a net deficiency, factor in the decay and maintenance, the poor efficiency of a recessed panel for collection and you have certified Snake Oil.

We currently have a severe net deficiency, we would have to do severely hard numbers to see how it compares.

I'm not saying drop everything and we must do it now, but it's worth a great look at. Roads/highways were their last objective anyway, I believe sidewalks/lots were their first (iirc, been awhile since I first looked at it). Plus the grant was legit, and the government gives out all sorts of research grants, that most don't amount to anything, at least this is feasible (and yes, it is feasible).

To me it's more about a wide network of fiber, and decentralized infrastructure, than it is about the solar panel part. Our nation's size is a big hindrance on proper infrastructure, even if this system had the same net loss that the current one does, it would be worth it to switch in my book, there's too many side fringe benefits, even if some of the main points don't work.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 13:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on the quote he provided (didn't read the link) I felt it was suggesting that ISIS/ISIS sympathizers are a lash back against conservative politics/views against them, and therefore could in turn trigger a conservative extremist response AGAINST ISIS/supporters.

But that's just how I took what he quoted; again, didn't read the article.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-26 13:35:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
It's all a scam.
Your mom is a scam!
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-26 13:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole point is that a Solar Roadway is the least efficient way to create solar infrastructure. Not that solar energy is non-viable. An infinitely better solution is just to line the roads with solar panels, not integrate them.

If you at least agree with that, then you have to accept the fact that "Solar Roadways" was nothing but a con job.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-26 13:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

glue solar panels to your *** and walk backwards!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 13:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Glue solar panels to women's chests. Then we'll have energy being produced AND lecherous Republican men won't be interested in staring at women's boobs all day, because they wouldn't want to be confused as having interest in alternate energy.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 13:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Based on the quote he provided (didn't read the link) I felt it was suggesting that ISIS/ISIS sympathizers are a lash back against conservative politics/views against them, and therefore could in turn trigger a conservative extremist response AGAINST ISIS/supporters.

But that's just how I took what he quoted; again, didn't read the article.
Sorry, I saw "a growing embrace of extremism" and got really pissed off right there. I missed out the rest of the sentence.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 13:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Glue solar panels to women's chests. Then we'll have energy being produced AND lecherous Republican men won't be interested in staring at women's boobs all day, because they wouldn't want to be confused as having interest in alternate energy.
>.>

Damn, you are in a mood today....
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-26 13:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Get on my level.

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 13:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Get on my level.

I wouldn't want my lady to wear that. Solar panels get really hot really quickly.....

Soon, she would want to strip them off and.........................

........................where was I going with this again?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-26 13:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

solar powered, LED light up bikini's. million. dollar. idea.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-26 13:53:57
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole point is that a Solar Roadway is the least efficient way to create solar infrastructure. Not that solar energy is non-viable. An infinitely better solution is just to line the roads with solar panels, not integrate them.

If you at least agree with that, then you have to accept the fact that "Solar Roadways" was nothing but a con job.
I don't agree with that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 13:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Wasn't there an idea once where roads themselves could conduct the electricity needed to power a car?

Or was that fantasy?

(Disclaimer: This was back in 1990s where I heard this)
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-26 13:57:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't agree with that.

Yes you do, here's your own quote:

Totally agree with you, cuz ur always right. I'm a big stupid face.

See? Deal with it.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Wasn't there an idea once where roads themselves could conduct the electricity needed to power a car?

Or was that fantasy?

Yes, something about charging electric cars while you drive in a similar fashion to things like those drop-in chargers for devices.

It's all *** pipe dreams. People just cling to the hope.

I'll give you guys a breather from me being right all the time, and put up a neutral entry that I'm also right about, but you can be right with me.

Who wins at internet? One thing's for certain, China loses.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-26 14:01:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I always knew France had more than their fair share of nutjobs...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll give you guys a breather from me being right all the time, and put up a neutral entry that I'm also right about, but you can be right with me.

Who wins at internet? One thing's for certain, China loses.
I don't agree with you, because your source didn't include Canada!

Serious note: who really cares anyway?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 14:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Or was that fantasy?

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I always knew France had more than their fair share of nutjobs...
They are preparing themselves to surrender again.

Since the only true aggressive society with power to conquer France is the Islamic faith, they are getting ready for the eventual assrape they are about to receive.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-26 14:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't that the subtitle of this thread?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Or was that fantasy?

Obviously the street car is laid on a track. I'm talking about vehicles that do not have a set mode of transportation in it, like cars and trucks.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Isn't that the subtitle of this thread?
It should be.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 14:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

>.>

Damn, you are in a mood today....
Obviously the street car is laid on a track. I'm talking about vehicles that do not have a set mode of transportation in it, like cars and trucks.

Obviously I was just being a smartass!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-26 14:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off topic: still of the idea that publicly funded (even if partially) projects should be subject to public publication of the work.

For electronics: public specs/design.

for software: viewable source, maybe even open.

for research: public published research, free of charge.

etc.

But alas, another "pipe dream" (for you Zic).
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 14:09:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Slightly off topic: still of the idea that publicly funded (even if partially) projects should be subject to public publication of the work.

etc.

Bolded, I assume you mean software that's meant to be for public consumption later? Because offering the public open-source access to government software used in a secure setting sounds like possibly the king of all absolutely horrible *** ideas you could have related to government.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-26 14:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

etc.

As a transparency and free speech advocate, that really hurts my feelings. Grats on being the first account I blocked on FFXIAH.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

etc.

Bolded, I assume you mean software that's meant to be for public consumption later? Because offering the public open-source access to government software used in a secure setting sounds like possibly the king of all absolutely horrible *** ideas you could have related to government.
I don't know, if government programming is any indication (healthcare.gov), it would be more like a free baseline of public software.

All flash (pun intended) and no substance.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-26 14:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

etc.

As a transparency and free speech advocate, that really hurts my feelings. Grats on being the first account I blocked on FFXIAH.
Don't take it too hard. Jet is just being an ***, like usual.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-26 14:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

etc.

I don't know, if government programming is any indication (healthcare.gov), it would be more like a free baseline of public software.

All flash (pun intended) and no substance.

Much like the government itself these days.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 56 57 58 ... 1375 1376 1377