Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 170 171 172 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 15:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Ok, I get it, you think that government sucks at it's job, and is as awful as I do, but if it wasn't there, your life would be far worse, cause something akin to "free markets are scary".

I don't know why you think so. Free-ing up markets ALWAYS increases competition, increasing competition ALWAYS leads to better value. Seriously, the evidence and arguments are ENDLESS, I don't know why its so hard for some people to accept.

No, it doesn't. Freeing up markets will tend to result in consolidation over time, into either monopolies or limited players acting in concert.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Because we don't trust our government, but we don't trust business even more.
The government is essentially an unregulated non-producing monopoly.

The government doesn't have to give you anything when you pay them. And they don't even have to follow their own rules and regulations they impose on everyone else.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Why don't you trust businesses? You have complete control over how much of your money they get.

Cartels? Monopoly? Free market is an utopia, on the same level as communism. It doesn't work due to greed.
Actually, greed is a major component of capitalism, it what keeps businesses in check.

Ever heard of Adam Smith "Invisible Hand" theory?
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-12-18 15:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Why don't you trust businesses? You have complete control over how much of your money they get.
I don't understand how that's even relevant. Yes, I can choose who to fund, and I do, but I am under no delusion that my dollar is influential enough to make a difference. It's the same as voting in a two party system. You vote for the shiniest of two turds. Business looks out for itself and itself only. It only pays any attention to me, or us, when we are directly relevant to their survival. Not a moment more. This also operates under the notion that the masses know what's best.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

The government doesn't have to give you anything when you pay them. And they don't even have to follow their own rules and regulations they impose on everyone else.
Government, in theory, is business + benevolence. It may not be that in its current incarnation, but government is slated to curb unjust actions and make efforts towards the common good of its people. It can be brought back to that. Are you arguing for the dissolution of government?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:55:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Government, in theory, is business + benevolence. It may not be that in its current incarnation, but government is slated to curb unjust actions and make efforts towards the common good of its people. It can be brought back to that. Are you arguing for the dissolution of government?
Actually, I'm arguing for the application of Constitutional Law.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-12-18 15:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

That's kind of vague.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 15:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

How about a reversion to the roots of the US federal government.

Where the only thing the government did was what was written in the constitution, and the states took care of the other issues.

Moving back towards States Rights, and away from Federal Rule.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-12-18 16:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just trading one government for another. Your criticism made it sound like we'd be better off without a government, period.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The theory saying that being a greedy *** is what's best for society because an invisible force will make it ok?
Yeah, didn't think you ever heard that theory.

Adam Smith said:
Every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it ... He intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for society that it was no part of his intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good

Think of it this way. Bill Gates produced the personal computer. He (along with a few other inventors) did so for personal gain. Not only did he become vastly successful by doing so, he changed society to the point of rapid advancement due to his invention, which enabled society to progress at the rate as you see it today. He was driven by greed (the want of profit) to produce something far greater than any charity or government-control can ever do.

Greed itself created innovation, which in turns furthers advancement in society.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 16:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Cartels? Monopoly? Free market is an utopia, on the same level as communism. It doesn't work due to greed.
Actually, greed is a major component of capitalism, it what keeps businesses in check.

Adam Smith said:
From www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/adam-smith/wealth-nations.pdf page 213:

The interest of the dealers, however, in any particular branch of trade or manu-factures, is always in some respects different from, and even oppo-site to, that of the public. To widen the market, and to narrow the competition, is always the interest of the dealers. To widen the market may frequently be agreeable enough to the interest of the public; but to narrow the competition must always be against it, and can only serve to enable the dealers, by raising their profits above what they naturally would be, to levy, for their own benefit, an absurd tax upon the rest of their fellow-citizens. The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order, ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men, whose inter-est is never exactly the same with that of the public, who have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the public, and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and oppressed it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:04:20
Link | Quote | Reply

That's just trading one government for another. Your criticism made it sound like we'd be better off without a government, period.
You are partially correct. The farce of a government we have today is nothing like what we had back in 1776. However, we need government to provide the most basic needs of the nation, which is defense and commerce.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-12-18 16:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand how that's even relevant. Yes, I can choose who to fund, and I do, but I am under no delusion that my dollar is influential enough to make a difference. It's the same as voting in a two party system. You vote for the shiniest of two turds. Business looks out for itself and itself only. It only pays any attention to me, or us, when we are directly relevant to their survival. Not a moment more. This also operates under the notion that the masses know what's best.

It's not the same as your dollar. Have you ever negotiated in a retail outlet? They will do far more for you to get your business if you wave your dollar around than any politician will if you wave your vote around.

Do they want as much for their services as possible? Are you bitching that you don't get enough for your money? Then you should argue for every single incentive to increase competition that there is! That's how you get more for your dollar!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Adam Smith said:
From www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/adam-smith/wealth-nations.pdf page 213:

The interest of the dealers, however, in any particular branch of trade or manu-factures, is always in some respects different from, and even oppo-site to, that of the public. To widen the market, and to narrow the competition, is always the interest of the dealers. To widen the market may frequently be agreeable enough to the interest of the public; but to narrow the competition must always be against it, and can only serve to enable the dealers, by raising their profits above what they naturally would be, to levy, for their own benefit, an absurd tax upon the rest of their fellow-citizens. The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order, ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men, whose inter-est is never exactly the same with that of the public, who have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the public, and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and oppressed it.
Do we have that degree of regulations today? Nearly all regulations that comes out of the executive branch of the federal government deals with quick thought, public interested, knee-slap reactions without thought as to what is actually good for the nation as a whole and not for the individual.

What Adam Smith said was that regulations were necessary, but only to the extent that there are no winners or losers in the drafting and application of these regulations.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 16:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bill Gates produced the personal computer.
He most certainly did not.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 16:11:49
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not the same as your dollar. Have you ever negotiated in a retail outlet? They will do far more for you to get your business if you wave your dollar around than any politician will if you wave your vote around.

Do they want as much for their services as possible? Are you bitching that you don't get enough for your money? Then you should argue for every single incentive to increase competition that there is! That's how you get more for your dollar!
You are waving the wrong thing at the politician. Try waving your money around, just like at the outlet.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, how about "Bill Gates produced the personal computer for personal use by application of a user-friendly interface"?

Either way, he made it possible to have the public use a machine that was only used in colleges and the Army, and make it user friendly.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 16:23:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry, how about "Bill Gates produced the personal computer for personal use by application of a user-friendly interface"?

Either way, he made it possible to have the public use a machine that was only used in colleges and the Army, and make it user friendly.
Did not produce computers?
Was one of multiple OSes, also for personal computers?
Was not particularly any more user friendly than other OSes at the time?
PCs were used outside of military/university/business locations?

Give the man credit where he's due, he is certainly someone that helped revolutionize personal computing. But he sure as hell didn't produce any personal computers.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 16:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Give the man credit where he's due, he is certainly someone that helped revolutionize personal computing. But he sure as hell didn't produce any personal computers.
K, sure, whatever.

Did that change my example at all?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-12-18 16:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

K, sure, whatever.

Did that change my example at all?
Yes, since it isn't the OSes themselves which drive the pace of technology, but rather the fundamental research being done with regards to materials/components/processes, which is useful for both generic computation/logic and special purpose signal processing. Quite a lot of which is either fully governmentally funded or has public/private partnerships.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 18:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I love the repeated delusion that regulation is evil and that the free market regulates itself. It's level in this thread is of epic proportions.

Not to even get into the absurd assertion that the United States Congress can't pass laws.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-12-18 19:40:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Not to even get into the absurd assertion that the United States Congress can't pass laws.
I guess when you have a Senate Majority Leader who shelves nearly all of the bills that comes his way, no wonder you think that Congress can't pass laws and the president has to abuse his executive power to get what he wants.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 19:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I guess when you have a Senate Majority Leader who shelves nearly all of the bills that comes his way, no wonder you think that Congress can't pass laws and the president has to abuse his executive power to get what he wants.

Your definition of "abuse" and mine are two very different things.

I don't think any congress we've had since I've been alive has the capacity to make good laws. But I never said that they can't pass laws, I was merely commenting on the concept that Congress has the authority to pass laws.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-12-18 20:00:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember you said that when Obama is no longer President.
By Jetackuu 2014-12-18 20:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Remember you said that when Obama is no longer President.
Are you attempting to assert that I somehow even like Obama? If so, then thanks for the laugh, I've had a long day.
By volkom 2014-12-18 21:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

bunch of kids dead in northern Australia :(
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-12-18 21:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bills are shelved when the expected votes are insufficient for passage. It doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to figure out how and why this occurs.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-12-18 21:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Bills are shelved when the expected votes are insufficient for passage. It doesn't take a big stretch of the imagination to figure out how and why this occurs.

It actually takes a huge imagination just to get some kind of idea of what the hell Boehner is doing to end the year. First he killed a bill that passed both chambers unanimously to increase gov't transparency, then he finally took up the TRIA bill that the Senate overwhelmingly passed in July, just to add a poison pill to it regarding a completely unrelated Dodd-Frank regulation, and of course it got killed in the Senate by his own party. So yeah, who knows what the least effective Speaker in history is doing.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-12-18 22:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

It should be noted that Microsoft's success is largely due to their partnership with IBM and being xerox and apple to market on an OS mostly copied from theirs.
First Page 2 3 ... 170 171 172 ... 1375 1376 1377