Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 115 116 117 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 14:38:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Rape Culture in the Alaskan Wilderness

This is a pretty long read. But it's a good one, if not upsetting.
I tend not to read or pay attention to anything that utilizes the phrase "rape culture."

I'm not fond of the phrase as it's fraught with uber feminist undertones, but it's really worth the read. It's what the actual phrase means, not what the extreme feminists have hijacked it and twisted it to mean.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 14:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Still reading through, but this is depressing.

Like I said. It's upsetting. But it's a good look inside how these things happen and the painful reasons how they're allowed to be perpetuated.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-11 15:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I tend not to read or pay attention to anything that utilizes the phrase "rape culture."

I'm not fond of the phrase as it's fraught with uber feminist undertones, but it's really worth the read. It's what the actual phrase means, not what the extreme feminists have hijacked it and twisted it to mean.
Clearly it's cause Alaska is a red state.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 15:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Did you even look at the article, let alone read it?

The article has nothing to do with partisanship. Doesn't even hint at it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 15:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So apparently I'm not allowed to have an opinion on foreign policy and 9/11 unless I'm a war veteran.

I'm getting chewed up on Facebook from a guy who served OIF/OEF, saying I should have my citizenship revoked and I should be dropped off in Afghanistan or Iraq all because I posted something about acknowledging the US's impact in the Middle East...
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 15:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Alaska is less red than its representatives indicate. Much of its population falls into various tribal nations. It's political alliegence is centered on the few significant population centers. Overall you could call them a mix of red and sovereignists.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-11 15:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
So apparently I'm not allowed to have an opinion on foreign policy and 9/11 unless I'm a war veteran.

I'm getting chewed up on Facebook from a guy who served OIF/OEF, saying I should have my citizenship revoked and I should be dropped off in Afghanistan or Iraq all because I posted something about acknowledging the US's impact in the Middle East...

That's the attitude I've seen in a lot of veterans. The kind of people who say you can't disagree with the reasons for war without having been there or without degrading the people serving there.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 15:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
That's the attitude I've seen in a lot of veterans. The kind of people who say you can't disagree with the reasons for war without having been there or without degrading the people serving there.

What's worse is my father served in George H.W. Bush's Gulf war.

The guy's reply essentially was "your father is allowed an opinion not you"(i'm paraphrasing)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 15:19:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that why there was a bottle of chloroform kept in the storage closet of an Alaskan school?

Many moons ago a friend of mine went to teach up there for a bit right after college. One day he found a bottle with a handwritten label that said 'chloroform' and thought it would be funny to send to me in the mail.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 15:22:21
Link | Quote | Reply

The guy's reply essentially was "your father is allowed an opinion not you"{i'm paraphrasing)
That's some ***. I've seen people take credit for the parents' war service all the time.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 15:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

The guy's reply essentially was "your father is allowed an opinion not you"{i'm paraphrasing)
That's some ***. I've seen people take credit for the parents' war service all the time.

No one is taking credit for the service of others. But 1) the families of veterans are impacted 2) one should be allowed an opinion regardless if they serve or not.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 15:44:45
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is taking credit for the service of others. But 1) the families of veterans are impacted 2) one should be allowed an opinion regardless if they serve or not.

Thing is, the guy is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and doesn't understand that this is America, everyone's allowed an opinion and allowed to voice it, even if it is a stupid one such as his.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 15:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That's kinda what I meant. His service impacted you, so at the very least you should be able to have an opinion because of his service.

Every does have an opinion regardless, but in order to have merit there has to be something behind it. I don't agree that it should necessarily be direct service either. Usually the fact that you pay taxes suffices enough. But then again to certain people you have to word your opinion in such a manner that leaves you not wanting for pay for something rather than what you think of the situation as a whole.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 15:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinions are like ***. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 15:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinions are like ***. Everybody's got one and some stink worse than others
ftfy
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 16:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Opinions are like ***. Everybody's got one and some stink worse than others
ftfy

I know I gave up. The guy thinks our only involvement in the Middle east was the Iraq-Iran conflict.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 16:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason I didn't serve for myself is because I -- and everyone around me -- knew damn well I'd be terrible in the service. I take orders for ***and I'd never fit in with the "macho soldier" thing...and let's face it, to this day that's still a huge part of being an active service member.

That said, I have friends and family who serve to this day, and I have friends who have died in service. Oh. And I'm a *** tax payer.

So his feelings that I don't deserve an opinion can just *** right the hell off.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 16:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

For what it's worth, of all the veterans and still-serving members I know (well over two dozen between college and high school friends and family), only one of them really has this opinion at all. He's also the one I'm the least-close with...

...of course, he's also a career-minded commissioned officer in the Army, so sadly in the "grand scheme" his opinion probably carries the most weight with the general public. -.-;
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 16:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reason I didn't serve for myself is because I -- and everyone around me

That was the same reasoning with me and my family. My grandfather did WW2 and my dad Gulf. They didn't want me to serve. I think there is a lot of military families with similar mentalities.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 17:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to join the army out of HS, but I decided to wait until after the election and well here we are 10 years later.
By volkom 2014-09-11 17:31:40
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 17:38:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I was going to join the army out of HS, but I decided to wait until after the election and well here we are 10 years later.

Yeah. I graduated in 2000.

So, you know, 2001-2002...

...I probably still wouldn't be allowed to discharge.

And you know the "funny" thing?

I still wish I had been better-able to serve. I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up your ***. I feel like a lesser man at times for not having done so. Even not agreeing with the president or his policies at the time.

Of course, my wife, my mother, and other friends and family tell me that's stupid as hell. Including people who are veterans. But...meh. That phase of life is beyond me now, one way or another.

It's just...I don't know. I guess for me personally it's hard having lost friends and not stood by them. Really, really hard.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 17:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Says STIs, AIDS Are God's Penalty For 'Immorality'

Quote:
"Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson is sharing his thoughts on how AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases can be traced back to God's wrath.

The reality star sat down Tuesday for a radio interview with Tony Perkins, president of conservative Christian group Family Research Council. Perkins asked Robertson about the controversy he ignited last year after telling GQ magazine that homosexuality is a "modern immorality" and a sin comparable to bestiality.

Answering Perkins' question, Robertson delved into how he thinks life-threatening disease are associated with acts outside of God's "one man, one woman" rule.

"If you just look at the physiological downside to immorality," he began, "I mean, a great question to ask is ... do you think that it's a coincidence that all of these debilitating -- and, literally, it can cause death -- diseases follow that kind of conduct. God says, 'One woman, one man' and everybody says, 'Oh that's old hat. That's that old Bible stuff.' And I'm thinking, 'Well, let's see now, a clean, disease-free guy and a disease-free woman they marry and they keep their sex between the two of them, they're not gonna get chlamydia and gonorrhea and syphilis and AIDS.' It's safe. Now, to me, either it's the wildest coincidence ever that horrible diseases follow immoral conduct or it's God saying there's a penalty for that kind of conduct. I'm leaning towards there's a penalty toward it.

"So, you read in the Bible, 'One man, one woman.' Any logical person would say what the guy is saying -- that'd be me -- is if you want to be safe from a lot of debilitating diseases that's the route to go and it agrees with what God says. So, it's just one argument after another, Tony, but what can I say? All you can do is just show 'em that and say, man, people ought to think about this Jesus stuff."

There are 19 million new cases of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) each year in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which says STIs "affect men and women of all backgrounds and economic levels." HIV can spread by not only unprotected sex, but also by other means including sharing needles or mother-to-child transmission during pregnancy.

Robertson's latest remarks come on the heels of his "Good Morning America" interview, during which he spoke about being a homophobe.

“I’m as much of a homophobe as Jesus was," he said last week. "People who are participating in homosexual behavior, they need to know that I love them.”
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 17:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. I graduated in 2000.

So, you know, 2001-2002...

...I probably still wouldn't be allowed to discharge.

And you know the "funny" thing?

I still wish I had been better-able to serve. I'm not going to sit here and blow smoke up your ***. I feel like a lesser man at times for not having done so. Even not agreeing with the president or his policies at the time.

Of course, my wife, my mother, and other friends and family tell me that's stupid as hell. Including people who are veterans. But...meh. That phase of life is beyond me now, one way or another.

It's just...I don't know. I guess for me personally it's hard having lost friends and not stood by them. Really, really hard.
As soon as I can lose the weight and get my BS I'll be attempting to join the USAF, hence why I'm back in school again.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-09-11 17:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

'Duck Dynasty' Star Phil Robertson Says STIs, AIDS Are God's Penalty For 'Immorality'

Quote:
"Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson is sharing his thoughts on how AIDS and sexually transmitted diseases can be traced back to God's wrath.

The reality star sat down Tuesday for a radio interview with Tony Perkins, president of conservative Christian group Family Research Council. Perkins asked Robertson about the controversy he ignited last year after telling GQ magazine that homosexuality is a "modern immorality" and a sin comparable to bestiality.

Answering Perkins' question, Robertson delved into how he thinks life-threatening disease are associated with acts outside of God's "one man, one woman" rule.

"If you just look at the physiological downside to immorality," he began, "I mean, a great question to ask is ... do you think that it's a coincidence that all of these debilitating -- and, literally, it can cause death -- diseases follow that kind of conduct. God says, 'One woman, one man' and everybody says, 'Oh that's old hat. That's that old Bible stuff.' And I'm thinking, 'Well, let's see now, a clean, disease-free guy and a disease-free woman they marry and they keep their sex between the two of them, they're not gonna get chlamydia and gonorrhea and syphilis and AIDS.' It's safe. Now, to me, either it's the wildest coincidence ever that horrible diseases follow immoral conduct or it's God saying there's a penalty for that kind of conduct. I'm leaning towards there's a penalty toward it.

"So, you read in the Bible, 'One man, one woman.' Any logical person would say what the guy is saying -- that'd be me -- is if you want to be safe from a lot of debilitating diseases that's the route to go and it agrees with what God says. So, it's just one argument after another, Tony, but what can I say? All you can do is just show 'em that and say, man, people ought to think about this Jesus stuff."

There are 19 million new cases of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) each year in the U.S., according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which says STIs "affect men and women of all backgrounds and economic levels." HIV can spread by not only unprotected sex, but also by other means including sharing needles or mother-to-child transmission during pregnancy.

Robertson's latest remarks come on the heels of his "Good Morning America" interview, during which he spoke about being a homophobe.

“I’m as much of a homophobe as Jesus was," he said last week. "People who are participating in homosexual behavior, they need to know that I love them.”

I'm sort of to the point where I think the last comment there is honest; he believes he loves everyone, and believes the doctrine he was raised upon; he forgives those who sin because he's not there to judge. He's just speaking what he thinks is the truth.

He's still an idiot, but he's a well-meaning one.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-11 18:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously: who gives a *** what the rednecks say/think?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-11 18:07:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Sherwood Baker says he is just a father who was trying to help his daughter find her way at her new high school.
Lt... Baker has served in the Army for 24 years. This past week he was told by Rochester Adams high school security that if he wanted to get into the high school with his daughter he was going to have to go home and change his clothes.

Baker's wife, Rachel Ferhadson says, "Before he was allowed in, the security guard stopped him and said sorry your not allowed in the school. Security told him men and women in uniform weren't allowed because it may offend another student."
Army officer told he cannot enter his daughter's school while wearing a uniform

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-11 19:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
If everyone stayed a Virgin until marriage and stayed married until death (never cheating) sure we'd have a lot less STDs in the world.

But we'd have a shitload more misery.

Well some infections/disease are not transmitted sexually yet still receive the classification as an STI because sexual intercourse is one route of transmission.

Hep C and Giardia lamblia are two examples that come to mind. Yeah his whole statement is just full of ignorance.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-11 20:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
If everyone stayed a Virgin until marriage and stayed married until death (never cheating) sure we'd have a lot less STDs in the world.

But we'd have a shitload more misery.

Faithful monogamy = misery? Mmkay, that's an interesting perspective. Seems to be working fine for me, my siblings, my parents, my grandparents, my wife's siblings, my wife's parents, my wife's grandparents, etc., so I can't say I share that view.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 115 116 117 ... 1375 1376 1377