Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1095 1096 1097 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-23 12:54:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I just got kicked out of a Destiny raid by a bunch of 10 year olds from Uzbekistan because I died. One called me a retard. So I say nuke them all.
I was once playing Destiny and my party members asked where I was from (their accent was African American):
-"Middle East".
-"..ISIS?!".

I'm glad they didn't nuke me.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-23 12:56:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
1 in 5 British Muslims have some sympathy for jihadists.

Hey lets open our doors as wide as we can to those who have sympathy for those terrorizing our culture...

I don't know about you dude. But I say red rover red rover let the whole damn crew come over. I'd really like to get a hold of a couple of these guys and get all weird and medieval on them...

until they let us fight them over there we may as well bring them here where we have the home court advantage
[+]
 Siren.Akson
Server: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-11-23 13:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Islam is going through the same thing Christianity went through a couple of centuries ago. The Catholic church used to be extremely vile, repressive, militaristic, and controlling. It did lots of really really bad ***to anyone who didn't acknowledge their supremacy. This didn't make all Christians bad, but it did mean that Christian leadership was not a good thing to have around oneself. Eventually the Church was broken and it's power over governments diminished to the point where people could openly rebuke it's power without fear of death and dismemberment. This is what Islam is going through, most Muslims are very nice people yet it's leadership is still extremest and will seek to enact retribution on anyone who openly rebukes them. Islamic leadership wish's to maintain it's absolute power and thus will always resort to extremist measures to instill fear in people from openly questioning or rebelling against them. Once that leadership is broken, which can only be done by those within the faith, then you'll see Islamic extremism fade away.

Basically Muslims need to confront, question and denounce senior clerics in large numbers, large enough to start a new reformation movement that strips those clerics of power by not recognizing them or their judgements. It's not going to be pretty cause those same Clerics will call on "loyal followers" to kill those who confront or deny them.
This analysis seems to be popular in the west, but it's not quite accurate.

There is no central body (aka church) that controls the religion and modifies it as they deem fit. You've got scholars trained in a certain tradition.

"Clerics" by themselves don't really hold power (politically, not ideologically) unless it's a theocracy, and only Iran fits the definition. You might disagree about Saudi Arabia, but the royalties have been pretty smart about "employing" clerics to do their bidding, not otherwise. There are things they are told to speak about, and there are things they are banned from speaking about. The grand mufti doesn't have any influence on Saudi politics.

Actually this happens in most countries, as means of control. Look at Egypt and its Azhar Sheikh for example.

So, what do you need to produce change? You need new scholars (clerics) who are knowledgeable and learned about the faith to challenge whatever extreme traditions the current "popular" scholars hold, but who are also popular enough to have people follow them, till the new "tradition" becomes established.
As much as I would love to continue hating and bashing Muhammad and Islam. I do think we can only blame religion or what is written for so long. Sooner or later every individual needs to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong and held accountable on thier own actions. Muhammad is not alive today forcing any one of them to obey. They do it on thier own accord and I'm sure not all of them, regardless of what was written or what thier religious figures preach, will commit acts of terror.
I do think the biggest issue might still be the existence of Israel. Muhammad was extremely anti semitic from what I've read. Having Israel next door and Muhammad's own words clashing together has created an eternal conflict. I would much rather take in Israeli refugees, whom value the western way of life, over Syrians. Give the Syrian refugees Israeli land and let us take the Jews instead. Middle East refugee and Israel Crisis both solved, peacefully.

The End.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-23 13:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad you're all basing your impressions of people by who you play with in a FPS game designed to attract the lowest common denominator.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-23 13:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Akson said: »
every individual needs to decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong and held accountable on thier own actions
indeed

Siren.Akson said: »
Give the Syrian refugees Israeli land and let us take the Jews instead.
Ask the Jews lol~

Also the bashing on Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) isn't new, it's been going on since medieval times (portraying him as a completely evil figure). That's why you don't surprise me, it's probably the result of your googling patterns and the sources you read. You should try checking Islamic sources too if you wanted to be a fairer judge.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-11-23 13:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole world's refusal to allow the Jewish Holocaust victims immigration status from Germany has created this fiasco to begin with.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abandonment_of_the_Jews
The world is more important than the existence of Israel. Any further Jihad attacks on western countries beyond should be dealt with by deportation and isolation. IMO
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-23 13:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Israel isn't going anywhere, its not even worth talking about.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-11-23 13:58:02
Link | Quote | Reply

There are so many reasons the ME is a shitstorm you could spend two lifetimes chronicling it all and not be done.

When you're the crossroads of three continents, ***tends to go down to start.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-23 14:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Islam is going through the same thing Christianity went through a couple of centuries ago. The Catholic church used to be extremely vile, repressive, militaristic, and controlling. It did lots of really really bad ***to anyone who didn't acknowledge their supremacy. This didn't make all Christians bad, but it did mean that Christian leadership was not a good thing to have around oneself. Eventually the Church was broken and it's power over governments diminished to the point where people could openly rebuke it's power without fear of death and dismemberment. This is what Islam is going through, most Muslims are very nice people yet it's leadership is still extremest and will seek to enact retribution on anyone who openly rebukes them. Islamic leadership wish's to maintain it's absolute power and thus will always resort to extremist measures to instill fear in people from openly questioning or rebelling against them. Once that leadership is broken, which can only be done by those within the faith, then you'll see Islamic extremism fade away.

Basically Muslims need to confront, question and denounce senior clerics in large numbers, large enough to start a new reformation movement that strips those clerics of power by not recognizing them or their judgements. It's not going to be pretty cause those same Clerics will call on "loyal followers" to kill those who confront or deny them.

There is no central body (aka church) that controls the religion and modifies it as they deem fit. You've got scholars trained in a certain tradition.

"Clerics" by themselves don't really hold power (politically, not ideologically) unless it's a theocracy, and only Iran fits the definition. You might disagree about Saudi Arabia, but the royalties have been pretty smart about "employing" clerics to do their bidding, not otherwise. There are things they are told to speak about, and there are things they are banned from speaking about. The grand mufti doesn't have any influence on Saudi politics.

Actually this happens in most countries, as means of control. Look at Egypt and its Azhar Sheikh for example.

So, what do you need to produce change? You need new scholars (clerics) who are knowledgeable and learned about the faith to challenge whatever extreme traditions the current "popular" scholars hold, but who are also popular enough to have people follow them, till the new "tradition" becomes established.
I hold the machiavellian idea that history is cyclical and civilization tend to develop the same evolutionary patterns in different moments(due to geographical and economical factors).
Even if the two religions are structured differently, the population might still evolve in a similar fashion, regardless of who holds the power. Because over time people(everywhere) desire to become more liberalized and this is countered by the most fervent traditionalists who afraid to see their faith dissolved under too much rebelliousness and immorality attempt to seize control, too often through violent means(because there is hardly any logical way to impose archaic rules on those who live in the modern world).
Now, I think Al Baghdadi uses religion merely as an excuse, but what matters is not whether the leader is true to his word or not, but what the mass below him believes.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-23 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
1 in 5 British Muslims have some sympathy for jihadists.

Hey lets open our doors as wide as we can to those who have sympathy for those terrorizing our culture...

You can have sympathy for someone without endorsing their actions.

Something, something, love thy enemy, something, something...you get the idea.

Ragnarok.Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-11-23 19:56:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I hold the machiavellian idea that history is cyclical and civilization tend to develop the same evolutionary patterns in different moments(due to geographical and economical factors).
Even if the two religions are structured differently, the population might still evolve in a similar fashion, regardless of who holds the power. Because over time people(everywhere) desire to become more liberalized and this is countered by the most fervent traditionalists who afraid to see their faith dissolved under too much rebelliousness and immorality attempt to seize control, too often through violent means(because there is hardly any logical way to impose archaic rules on those who live in the modern world).
Now, I think Al Baghdadi uses religion merely as an excuse, but what matters is not whether the leader is true to his word or not, but what the mass below him believes.
I'm not familiar with the specifics of this theory. Do you think it applies to religions as well (since you said "civilizations"), or rather countries and dynasties?

The thing is, this "desire to become more liberalized" depends on the population viewing their religion as hindering their progress, either that, or someone providing them with a better alternative that satisfies their spiritual needs. Muslims believe that "Islam is timeless", doesn't hinder progress, and would cite the Golden Age in Andalusia, 8th-9th century Baghdad as examples.

If you're interested, you can have a look at this article by a British Muslim: Is Islam Compatible with British Values? It's kinda relevant.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-23 20:20:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There doesn't need to be a formally recognized central authority for there to be high ranking leaders. We like to think of the Catholic church as a big giant singular all controlling entity, but it wasn't. Travel and communication was incredibly difficult during that time and thus each Bishop and Cardinal had extraordinary power over their regions. In effect each operated, especially Cardinals, like miniature Popes and handed out their own interpretations and judgements. Those judgements held immense power as the legal system was tied to the church. Islamic law is very similar in this regard and while a country may not be a theocracy, modern communication means an Islamic cleric in Iran, Iraq, Syria, <insert your favorite hell hole here> can make public judgements or decrees and a follower in the USA, Canada, Germany, UK, France, China, Australia, Saudi Arabia or <insert secular country here> will act on that judgement.

So you can see your wrong with you conclusion. The power of the Bishops and Cardinals was broken when the people and their leaders refused to follow the direction and guidance of them. When another branch of Christianity was created that didn't have Bishops and Cardinals, didn't have central leaders who could hand out decree's and judgements. This same thing will happen to Islam, it's only a matter of time before a new popular branch is created without the requirement for central interpretation. The Islamic Clerics know this, they see it happening and are actively trying to prevent it. They will fail, but before they do they will take a whole lot of people down with them.

Islam isn't a bad religion, it has a blood drenched past like the rest do because Religion is a great way to rally followers and provided a convenient politically expedient excuse to do what a leader already wanted to do.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-23 20:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I'm not familiar with the specifics of this theory. Do you think it apply to religions as well (since you said "civilizations"), or rather countries and dynasties?

The thing is, this "desire to become more liberalized" depends on the population viewing their religion as hindering their progress, either that, or someone providing them with a better alternative that satisfies their spiritual needs. Muslims believe that "Islam is timeless", doesn't hinder progress, and would cite the Golden Age in Andalusia, 8th-9th century Baghdad as examples.

If you're interested, you can have a look at this article by a British Muslim: Is Islam Compatible with British Values? It's kinda relevant.

He's is quite correct. Societies evolve over time and the better the quality of life the more the constituents desire from the system. So as a state does better, it's citizens will start demanding more from it to be content. This is the reason North Korea keeps it's citizens in a state of perpetual poverty, they to concerned with just trying to survive to both with overthrowing the government.

Islam, like all religions, most definitely hold a society back. This is not a feature of religions themselves but rather because of what they enable. Political figures will use religions tenants as convenient excuses to do very bad things while washing their hands of accountability. You can justify massacring entire segments of a population, committing genocide and unspeakable atrocities, all because "hey God says we should do it and whom am I to question God". If someone speaks out and questions those actions, you can conveniently silence them "if I can't question God then neither can you <slits throat>". Everyone will nod their head and follow along because they believe in that same "God".

Oppressive governments stand only so long as those being oppressive don't realize they outnumber the oppressors 10,000:1 or more. Religion is a really useful tool to keep them from understanding this.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-24 01:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
On November 23, 2015 Ahmed's family threatened to sue the City of Irving and school district for civil rights violations and physical and mental anguish unless they receive a written apology, and compensation of fifteen million dollars.

The kid got a bunch of free ***and even free schooling in Qatar, this is just greedy
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-11-24 01:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Quote:
On November 23, 2015 Ahmed's family threatened to sue the City of Irving and school district for civil rights violations and physical and mental anguish unless they receive a written apology, and compensation of fifteen million dollars.

The kid got a bunch of free ***and even free schooling in Qatar, this is just greedy
There's a word for such actions. A term we call such. I forget.
By charlo999 2015-11-24 01:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Wrong here. Christianity follows Christ period. Any changes made, in this case are you referring to Catholics? Or Jehovah's witnesses? Are made by man trying to appease the masses by inter grating the faith with false doctrine. For example Catholic Church and evolution or homosexuality. History shows that Roman Catholic was a mix of Christianity and paganism anyway (to appease the people to follow at the time) you can see this in the traditions and teachings it holds today.
Most other groups are split by following their own translations of the source text, which I think is sad because these groups get so hung up on thinking they are right instead of discussing their interpretation in open dialogue with others to come to a better understanding as a whole.
Christ spoke many times if being lukewarm or sitting on the fence. And stated your either for me or against me. You can't serve 2 masters. Which is what your implying.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-11-24 02:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Do Muslims believe in the temptation of Christ? I wonder if Muhammad was ever offered anything from Gabriel when he first met him and ***his pants telling him to read. To be made King and Ruler of Nations I thought. Jesus declined. I don't know. I'm confused ><
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-24 03:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Turkey shot down a Russian Su 24 fighter jet on the Turkish-Syrian border after it invaded their airspace. Both pilots were seen ejecting but no word on how they're doing. Russia has repeatedly invaded Turkish airspace since they started bombing in Syria.

Apparently it was warned 10 times in 5 minutes before being shot down.

Edit: One of the pilots may have been kidnapped by Syrian rebels but it's still unclear as there is conflicting information.

[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-24 06:12:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not familiar with the specifics of this theory. Do you think it apply to religions as well (since you said "civilizations"), or rather countries and dynasties?

Let me clarify. It's not that people want to change their religion, but rather change its control over them. For example Iran comes to mind, where the younger generations are desperately hoping for a change, which is not to stop being muslim, but to stop being oppressed by a theocracy. Hell, you could call half of the ME a theocracy because of how power is applied.
In the modern world learning about places where people are free is only a click away, which spreads the culture of it being possible. Obviously those holding power and those clinging to traditions do not want this and try (violent)repression. Islamic countries could be free, but they're currently facing this power struggle. Just like in the west radical christianity is declining increasing the quality of life of the regions where it stuck. Islam is going through the same, but because the religion is still to this day a very strong tool of power in the islamic countries it takes the shape of medieval christianity.

Islam might be timeless, but even then there are many degrees of zeal. You see the family where the father beats the daughter if she goes outside on her own and the one where she can do whatever the *** she wants as long as the basic tennants are respected(those 4 or 5 rules, I forgot how many they are - visit Mecca at least once, do ramadan, etc). Religion is used at its roots to influence local cultures, and when it's the culture you want to change(for example more liberties for women)it becomes an affront to the religion too for those holding tighter fanatism.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-24 08:38:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Turkey shot down a Russian Su 24 fighter jet on the Turkish-Syrian border after it invaded their airspace. Both pilots were seen ejecting but no word on how they're doing. Russia has repeatedly invaded Turkish airspace since they started bombing in Syria.

Edit: One of the pilots may have been kidnapped by Syrian rebels but it's still unclear as there is conflicting information.

Su-24, wow, what a relic. Russian incompetence continues in Syria. Cool pictures tho.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-24 08:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 09:04:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Su-24, wow, what a relic. Russian incompetence continues in Syria. Cool pictures tho.
Like I said in the other thread, your warmongering ways are showing Vic.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-24 09:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So what? Russia isn't going to do anything, they can't even beat the Syrian rebels, much less the Turks. I bet they won't violate Turkish airspace anymore.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-24 09:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

putin calls turkey accomplices of terror

Syrian rebels

are there any left? I haven't much about them in the news lately
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-24 09:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Something tells me you will be hearing about them today.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-11-24 09:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Something tells me you will be hearing about them today.

o.O the independent says they just shot down a russian helicopter

well i will be damned
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 09:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So what? Russia isn't going to do anything, they can't even beat the Syrian rebels, much less the Turks. I bet they won't violate Turkish airspace anymore.
You don't get it, you are celebrating the loss of life. What's worse, you are in denial about any retaliation that Russia will make against Turkey.

Don't forget, Turkey did commit an act of war by shooting down 2 Russian jets. Regardless of the warnings, they shot them down instead of escorting them out of Turkey's airspace. And you are gleeful about the jets being shot down.

Like I said, your warmongering is showing.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 09:33:27
Link | Quote | Reply

In other warmongering news:

French President Hollande pressures Obama to fight ISIS, Obama to draw another red line in the sand

Quote:
President Barack Obama will stand in solidarity with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on Tuesday, 11 days after the Islamic State group launched a series of deadly attacks in Paris. But Hollande is likely to leave Washington without firm backing for his call to bring Russia into a new coalition to fight the extremists.

Hollande's visit to Washington is part of a diplomatic offensive to get the international community to bolster the campaign against the Islamic State militants. The group is believed to have been behind the Nov. 13 attacks that killed 130 people in Paris, as well as separate attacks in Lebanon and Turkey and the downing of a Russian airliner in Egypt.

As the Islamic State group expands its reach outside its bases in Syria and Iraq, Obama is facing increased pressure at home and abroad to ramp up U.S. efforts to destroy the militants. So far, Obama is resisting calls to either change or significantly ramp up his approach, and instead is focused on getting other countries to offer more counterintelligence, humanitarian and military assistance.

"The United States is certainly pulling more than our own weight," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said. "And we believe that there is more that can be done if countries are willing to contribute additional resources."

The U.S. campaign has centered largely on launching airstrikes, while training and assisting security forces on the ground in Iraq. Efforts to train and equip moderate rebel groups in Syria have struggled, though Obama has authorized the deployment of 50 special operations forces to the country to jumpstart the program.

France has stepped up its airstrikes following the Paris attacks, relying in part on U.S. intelligence to hit targets in Raqqa, the Islamic State group's stronghold in Syria. British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday he would seek parliamentary approval this week for Britain to begin airstrikes as well.

Hollande wants the U.S.-led coalition to start cooperating with Russia, which is also launching airstrikes in Syria. While Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country is targeting the Islamic State militants, the U.S. contends Moscow is going after rebels fighting Syrian President Bashar Assad, a Kremlin ally.

Last week, Hollande called for the U.S. and Russia to set aside their policy divisions over Syria and "fight this terrorist army in a broad, single coalition." But his office acknowledges that "coordination" sounds like a far more realistic goal.

"We are not talking about a command center. We are talking about coordination of methods and exchange of intelligence," a French diplomat said on Monday. The diplomat wasn't authorized to publicly discuss the subject and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Earnest said the U.S. would "continue the conversation" with Putin but suggested Obama would make no promises to Hollande during Tuesday's visit.

From Washington, Hollande will travel to Moscow for meetings with Putin.

Beyond their discussions on military cooperation, Obama and Hollande are expected to discuss diplomatic efforts to achieve a political transition in Syria. The U.S. and France support a transition that would lead to the departure of Assad, who has overseen a civil war in his country that created a vacuum for the Islamic State group to thrive.

While Russia is backing a new diplomatic effort in Syria, Moscow still refuses to support steps that explicitly call for removing Assad from power.

The quagmire in Syria has dragged on for nearly five years, and criticism of Obama's strategy appears only to grow louder.

On Sunday, both Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and Leon Panetta, Obama's former defense secretary, said the U.S. effort wasn't measuring up. Feinstein called for more aggressive action and additional special operations forces in Syria.

"I don't think the approach is sufficient to the job," Feinstein said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 1095 1096 1097 ... 1375 1376 1377