Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 876 877 878 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You know the best way to stop racism?

Stop making racial remarks!

Trust me, it works!

It stops racist remarks, might even lessen the passive racism somewhat, but if the DoJ report on Ferguson is any indication, simply not using racist language doesn't stop racism.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 10:23:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Trust me, it works!

It stops racist remarks, might even lessen the passive racism somewhat, but if the DoJ report on Ferguson is any indication, simply not using racist language doesn't stop racism.
It's the best first step.

Also easiest to do.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-28 10:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not "you don't know what he believes", it's immediate certainty with the added flavor of words like "vile".

In this case the guy being described as vile murdered two people. I think it's safe to say that it fits.

I also find it interesting that some people are willing to talk crap about a perpetrator when it's someone that is "one of them", but as soon as it's "one of us", we have to get all philosophical about the words used to describe them and deflect the narrative to a greater societal issue.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-28 10:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
His motive is his motive. You can't just supply your own.

He was a vile racist as well.

Everyone is a vile racist when they're a different color than you.

I am not even sure what you mean by this but the shooter in this case was in fact a racist, by his own words.

It was meant to give perspective. Things only seem racist if they're coming from a different angle. Otherwise, they're just speaking the truth and we need a law to protect them from being accused of racism.

False. Racists know that they are racists and they agree with racist statements knowing full well that they are racist statements.

This is one of those you arguing for the sake of arguing things again I see. Read his own words. He was an unabashed racist.

(I see what you are trying to do and failing)

You're not getting it, champ. I hear people say incredibly racist things daily, using words like "mongrel" or saying "he probably deserved it, you know how those people are". It's not the over-the-top blatantly racist statements I'm talking about, it's the more subtle ones. There is veiled racism in damn near every major news story we discuss in this thread, and the few times it's someone who isn't white that is being racist, there is no question whether they are. It's not "you don't know what he believes", it's immediate certainty with the added flavor of words like "vile". People aren't good at stepping out of their own perspective, that was the whole point of what I was saying. If you want to make it an argument, be my guest.

So in other words you are deflecting for some unknown reason off of the fact that this shooter was openly racist and his racism was one of his motives, into some broad general vague discussion on racism.

Read his tweets. Read his manifesto. You will add the word "vile" too. But please go on defending him, very strangely.

...Champ (for added and as per your usual unnecessary condescension)
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me, it works!

Also easiest to do.

I don't think there should be a "first" step, it just plain needs to end. Besides, I like my racists out in the open, using racist language makes it much easier to identify them.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-28 10:28:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's worth noting that me and Aman made the same observation less than a minute apart. It's actually quite obvious what's going on here.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:31:09
Link | Quote | Reply

So in other words you are deflecting for some unknown reason off of the fact that this shooter was openly racist and his racism was one of his motives, into some broad general vague discussion on racism.

Read his tweets. Read his manifesto. You will add the word "vile" too. But please go on defending him, very strangely.

...Champ (for added and as per your usual unnecessary condescension)

I'm not deflecting anything, I'm commenting on how quick people are to jump on the train when the racist is someone of a different color and how there's always room for interpretation and quoting of murder rates when they aren't.

Also, I call everyone "bud" or "sport" or "champ". Condescension isn't a one-way street.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 10:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me, it works!

Also easiest to do.

I don't think there should be a "first" step, it just plain needs to end. Besides, I like my racists out in the open, using racist language makes it much easier to identify them.
Wait, you want racism to end but want to keep racists out in the open?

That doesn't make any sense. I want racism to end, and have no racists either...

Besides, racism is ingrained in human psychology that you cannot get rid of this socially demeaning condition quickly. You have to take steps to finally rid ourselves of this negative emotion.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:32:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's worth noting that me and Aman made the same observation less than a minute apart. It's actually quite obvious what's going on here.

And you are the one that got the point I was making.

I also find it interesting that some people are willing to talk crap about a perpetrator when it's someone that is "one of them", but as soon as it's "one of us", we have to get all philosophical about the words used to describe them and deflect the narrative to a greater societal issue.

It goes both ways.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-28 10:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
The problem isn't racists, it's an institutionalized bias towards minoritys which puts them at a disadvantage that people deny exists.

So, racism isn't the problem, it's only racism towards minorities that's the problem? That's basically what you just said.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 10:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem isn't racists, it's an institutionalized bias towards minoritys which puts them at a disadvantage that people deny exists.
There are no biases, institutionalized or not, towards minorities in today's world where we reward people based on the color of their skin.

Case in Point: Obama.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That doesn't make any sense. I want racism to end, and have no racists either...

Besides, racism is ingrained in human psychology that you cannot get rid of this socially demeaning condition quickly. You have to take steps to finally rid ourselves of this negative emotion.

I'm just realistic about it. Racism isn't just the words that are used, it's the disparities in our legal system, the way body language is interpreted, even financial institutions. So long as those biases exist under the surface, I want the people that harbor them out in the open.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

So, racism isn't the problem, it's only racism towards minorities that's the problem? That's basically what you just said.

You're overthinking it. If the minorities were the majority, the bias would likely go the other way. I've used the example before, but look at the rates of drug crimes and sentencing among racial groups. Depending on where you are, blacks and hispanics are multiple times more likely to be stopped, searched, and arrested for minor drug crimes despite them using at roughly the same rate as whites. If the tables were turned, and whites were in the minority, would you be ok with being 5 times more likely to be searched for a minor traffic violation or be given a 20% longer sentence for the same crime a black person committed?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:43:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »

I'm just realistic about it. Racism isn't just the words that are used, it's the disparities in our legal system, the way body language is interpreted, even financial institutions. So long as those biases exist under the surface, I want the people that harbor them out in the open.

One could say it is impossible to end any of that until humans stop having an adversity to things that are different, they don't like, etc. Any system is just a byproduct of the human nature of intolerance and hatred.

Exactly, which is why simply hiding the intolerance and hatred behind euphemisms is not a solution.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-08-28 10:43:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bigotry shaming: The new social trend that's overtaking body shaming, *** shaming, and many other kinds of shaming.

I see a lot of fat shaming, but never any slob shaming. Hell, people are proud of being lazy slobs.

There are big women who do their best to look and feel good - congrats and more power to them for trying to be more comfortable in their own skin (without making thin or fit people feel shameful for being fit and/or thin), and then there are the slobs who get media attention for living a slovenly lifestyle and proud of the fact they make no effort whatsoever.

"Coming up on... Slob TV, we meet a hefty 500lbs porker who reeks of month old butter but refuses to take a shower, and swims in a 50 foot pool of stale doritos for exercise by eating them greasy handful at a time"
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 10:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just realistic about it.
How are you realistic about ending racism when you just basically gave up on it? Is it because it's too hard, or you just don't want to put the effort into ending racism for yourself first?

it's the disparities in our legal system
I'm assuming you are referring to the disproportionate number of black people who commit crimes vs. white people who commit crimes.

So, what should we do about it? Let people get away with crimes because of the color of their skin? How will that help again?

even financial institutions
And I'm sure you have evidence showing this highly illegal activity. Care to show it please?
By fonewear 2015-08-28 10:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The only way to end racism is to stop being white !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-08-28 10:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
Bigotry shaming: The new social trend that's overtaking body shaming, *** shaming, and many other kinds of shaming.

I see a lot of fat shaming, but never any slob shaming. Hell, people are proud of being lazy slobs.

There are big women who do their best to look and feel good - congrats and more power to them for trying to be more comfortable in their own skin (without making thin or fit people feel shameful for being fit and/or thin), and then there are the slobs who get media attention for living a slovenly lifestyle and proud of the fact they make no effort whatsoever.

"Coming up on... Slob TV, we meet a hefty 500lbs porker who reeks of month old butter but refuses to take a shower, and swims in a 50 foot pool of stale doritos for exercise by eating them greasy handful at a time"

Apparently there's a new show out called "My Big Fat Beautiful Life", which from what I can tell paints being fat and active in a good light. Seems like there is a burgeoning trend of glamorizing fat as opposed to shaming it.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-08-28 10:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So yes you are deflecting away from the racist killer, who kills two people because of the color of their skin, to everything else under the sun. You indict everyone else in the World as racist in order to strangely protect this clear racist. Oh please go on, Mr Sharpton.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-08-28 10:53:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ladies and gentleman it's not noon yet and I"m drunk (and ready for racism) this is glorious !
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-08-28 10:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Endoq said: »
I agree with that. But the pull the news media uses is designed to keep us in a useless state.
Florida?
The most useless state: Denial.

A.K.A.: Florida. (And Texas)
Neither are useless.

Florida is a constant source of both amusement and outrage. Texas is a GREAT horrible example.

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just realistic about it.
How are you realistic about ending racism when you just basically gave up on it? Is it because it's too hard, or you just don't want to put the effort into ending racism for yourself first?

I'm aware of my racial biases and I actively try to keep them in check.
Quote:
it's the disparities in our legal system
I'm assuming you are referring to the disproportionate number of black people who commit crimes vs. white people who commit crimes.

So, what should we do about it? Let people get away with crimes because of the color of their skin? How will that help again?

Yeah, no, we're not talking about the rate crimes are committed, some groups are more likely to commit certain crimes. We're talking about the difference in how they are policed and prosecuted when they are committed at the same rate, like recreational drug use.

Quote:
even financial institutions
And I'm sure you have evidence showing this highly illegal activity. Care to show it please?

What bias do you think I'm referring to? I'm talking about things like short-term lenders, which are far more prolific in black neighborhoods than white ones.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-08-28 10:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
I agree with that. But the pull the news media uses is designed to keep us in a useless state.
Florida?
The most useless state: Denial.

A.K.A.: Florida. (And Texas)
Neither are useless.

Florida is a constant source of both amusement and outrage. Texas is a GREAT horrible example.
Speaking of bigotry....
By fonewear 2015-08-28 10:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

One could say it is impossible to end any of that until humans stop having an adversity to things that are different, they don't like, etc. Any system is just a byproduct of the human nature of intolerance and hatred.

Exactly, which is why simply hiding the intolerance and hatred behind euphemisms is not a solution.

Yup, but whatcha gonna do?

I'm going to get dressed go to to city hall grab a pen a piece of paper...wait I'm too lazy to do all that !

Post deleted by User.
By Bloodrose 2015-08-28 10:58:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently there's a new show out called "My Big Fat Beautiful Life", which from what I can tell paints being fat and active in a good light. Seems like there is a burgeoning trend of glamorizing fat as opposed to shaming it.
This is kind of what I mean, and kind of not.

I heard about this show, but the people are active, and it's more about becoming comfortable in your own skin by making positive changes at your own pace. It also shows that they are still taking care of themselves, despite being big or chunky.

On one end, I can see how it glamourizes being fat. It's no secret I'm kind of hefty myself, though I've done a lot to lose weight and keep the fat to a minimum. I'm roughly in the 270 range, though most would never guess I was over 220 (which for my height and build is where I should be at, if all I did were every day activities without exercise on top of them)

But what I was really getting at, was there are shows that glamourize being fat, lazy, and disgustingly dirty beyond all reason. They dress in ways that make them come off as skanky or unclean, when there are other forms of dress that can instill body positive looks and style, while building confidence and trust.

And the most cringe worthy part of those shows... "You don't know me!" after seeing their own personalized video autobiography of their lives.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-08-28 10:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So yes you are deflecting away from the racist killer, who kills two people because of the color of their skin, to everything else under the sun. You indict everyone else in the World as racist in order to strangely protect this clear racist. Oh please go on, Mr Sharpton.

I pointed out the difference in how people handle racism when it's someone of a different race.
First Page 2 3 ... 876 877 878 ... 1375 1376 1377