Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1115 1116 1117 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-12-02 09:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

John Oliver had a pretty good segment a few months back that looks into some of the misconceptions and stuff on wasted food, expiration dates, etc

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-02 09:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Valefor.Endoq said: »
What I'm trying to get at is this has little to nothing to do with consumer safety and almost everything to do with selling more product by making it appear more perishable than it really is.
Yeah, that's an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory, not actual fact.

I did like however when people complained about the doughnuts that 7-11 throws away daily. Seriously, those things are barely edible when fresh, they're not fit for human consumption after they've been in the case all day.
It's only a "conspiracy" if the intent was to secretly break a law or do harm.
I think the intent is more about making money and less about trying to cause harm. The laws support their ways so they aren't breaking any laws (although they may have lobbied to get those laws into effect lol). Still, not a "conspiracy" because no laws were broken that I know of and their intent was not to harm consumers... that would just be silly because harming customers is bad for business.
(unless you sell band-aids)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 11:34:45
Link | Quote | Reply

So Catalonia voted to secede from Spain, but it was blocked and denied.

While I'm not in favour of secessions(despite being even somewhat related to this one), I'm not sure I find this even fair so I bring forth this question.
What makes constitutions unchangeable? Isn't the population sovereign? Why is it that after a constitution is written, often it can only be overruled with force cause the democratic vote is ignored?
I would bring up the case of Crimea too, but some would wager that things are fishy there so I guess we would waste time.

Again, I clarify that it's not even something I want as I made clear a few times that I'm actually in favour of a more united world, and not divided.

And also cause they don't wanna bring back monarchy so I can't rise to power!

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-02 12:14:39
Link | Quote | Reply

If Texas cannot secede, then nobody can! *pouts*
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-12-02 12:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What makes constitutions unchangeable?

we've changed ours 15 times.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-02 12:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's only a "conspiracy" if the intent was to secretly break a law or do harm....
Nonsense. A surprise birthday party is a conspiracy.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2015-12-02 12:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

The word 'conspiracy' simply means two or more people talk about something. Happens all the time.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-02 12:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
It's only a "conspiracy" if the intent was to secretly break a law or do harm....
Nonsense. A surprise birthday party is a conspiracy.
Actually no.
It is conspiracy only if the intent is to cause harm or break a law...

Source:Dictionary
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 12:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not what it means. It's a secretive agreement or combined effort between people towards a common goal. And in context(cause that's all that matters) it's harmful or unlawful.

edit: at Skjallf.

About what Chanti said, the act of planning the surprise party is a conspiracy(though colloquially no one would use that word, aside from jest).
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-12-02 13:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm not in favour of secessions(despite being even somewhat related to this one), I'm not sure I find this even fair so I bring forth this question.
What makes constitutions unchangeable? Isn't the population sovereign? Why is it that after a constitution is written, often it can only be overruled with force cause the democratic vote is ignored?
I would bring up the case of Crimea too, but some would wager that things are fishy there so I guess we would waste time.
I figure it's largely an issue of leniency and setting precedence. It's a matter of the law being too flexible, or perhaps not flexible enough. I don't really know the situation in Catalonia though, so I have no input on that specifically.

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
The word 'conspiracy' simply means two or more people talk about something. Happens all the time.
Lesson number one: trust no one! The minute God crapped out the third caveman, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 13:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It's kinda true that the Basques would like to be on their own too. That wouldn't leave much of Spain left!
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-02 13:17:54
Link | Quote | Reply

That's not what it means. It's a secretive agreement or combined effort between people towards a common goal. And in context(cause that's all that matters) it's harmful or unlawful.

edit: at Skjallf.

About what Chanti said, the act of planning the surprise party is a conspiracy(though colloquially no one would use that word, aside from jest).
You have "plan" confused with "conspiracy".
It's a VERY common mistake people make, that I made for a long time as well.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 13:19:35
Link | Quote | Reply

No, not really. A conspiracy implies secrecy, a plan doesn't.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 13:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah dude, you're wrong.

Conspire, scheme, plan can be synonymous.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-02 13:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ISIS released a video today named "You Shall be Disappointed and Humiliated O Russians" where a 'Russian spy' is on his knees in front of a Russian jihadist. CNN says the man confesses to working for SVR (I think that's the one) before he is beheaded
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-12-02 13:27:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious, does the Italian word for conspiracy have a somewhat different implication? When I hear conspiracy, the very first thing I think of is Julius Caesar, the fun-for-all-ages play by Bill Shakesman. That's actually why I made my THF Conspirator icon a mask (well, I also had a mask icon already ready). There's definitely the colloquial and metaphoric liberty with it that I'll use myself, but I think from a strictly legal definition, it would imply threat/harm. Etymologically, the root Conspire would literally mean "breath together", with no implication of ill intent.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 13:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

In fact I did say that the evil intention is just what is mostly associated with contextually.
Two girls hiding from their parents to discuss what a penis looks like are conspiring too.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-02 13:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

At least 20 people injured in a shooting in San Bernardino, California at the Inland Regional Center, a nonprofit organization that works with developmentally disabled people. 1-3 shooters and SWAT is on the scene and the building surrounded.

'Murica
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-12-02 13:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

In fact I did say that the evil intention is just what is mostly associated with contextually.
Two girls hiding from their parents to discuss what a penis looks like are conspiring too.

not unless they are talking about committing a crime to see one.
you also need the "one overt act" to make it a conspiracy.

peeping tom laws

so like if one of the girls also bought a ladder for peeping they could arrest them both for conspiracy to commit "peeping while loitering"
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-02 13:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah dude, you're wrong.

Dictionary literally says otherwise, but OK.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 13:58:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't talking about legally.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-02 14:03:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Another shooting in progress. 20 reported dead. Masks and body armor involved.

[Edit looks like alti has it covered]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-02 14:05:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Way2Bslow
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 14:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah dude, you're wrong.

Yet it literally doesn't.

Quote:
Synonym Discussion of CONSPIRACY
plot, intrigue, machination, conspiracy, cabal mean a plan secretly devised to accomplish an evil or treacherous end. plot implies careful foresight in planning a complex scheme <an assassination plot>. intrigue suggests secret underhanded maneuvering in an atmosphere of duplicity <backstairs intrigue>. machination implies a contriving of annoyances, injuries, or evils by indirect means <the machinations of a party boss>. conspiracy implies a secret agreement among several people usually involving treason or great treachery <a conspiracy to fix prices>. cabal typically applies to political intrigue involving persons of some eminence <a cabal among powerful senators>.

I could post several other examples and reasons as to why, but I have work to do.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-02 14:07:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah dude, you're wrong.

Yet it literally doesn't.

Quote:
Synonym Discussion of CONSPIRACY
plot, intrigue, machination, conspiracy, cabal mean a plan secretly devised to accomplish an evil or treacherous end. plot implies careful foresight in planning a complex scheme <an assassination plot>. intrigue suggests secret underhanded maneuvering in an atmosphere of duplicity <backstairs intrigue>. machination implies a contriving of annoyances, injuries, or evils by indirect means <the machinations of a party boss>. conspiracy implies a secret agreement among several people usually involving treason or great treachery <a conspiracy to fix prices>. cabal typically applies to political intrigue involving persons of some eminence <a cabal among powerful senators>.

I could post several other examples and reasons as to why, but I have work to do.
That is like saying all killing is murder because they both end with the same result: a dead person.
There is a clear distinction between the 2 despite sharing the same aspect.
All conspiracy are a plan but not all plans are conspiracy.
All murder is killing but not all killing is murder.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 14:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hence why I said this:

It's not my fault that you misunderstood what I clearly wrote (and even put in bold).

All squares are rectangles, yet not all rectangles are squares, it would still be fine to call a square a rectangle.

Yet your analogy is still incomplete, as (if you read on) you will see that to conspire doesn't always involved a negative.

But seriously, this is one long derail.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-12-02 15:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I wasn't talking about legally.

it only matters in the legal sense though... it's not a conspiracy unless it's about something illegal.

"harmful or unlawful" = illegal

you can't conspire to do something good... or even neutral..

trust me on this one, I'm evil!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-12-02 15:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
At least 20 people injured in a shooting in San Bernardino, California at the Inland Regional Center, a nonprofit organization that works with developmentally disabled people. 1-3 shooters and SWAT is on the scene and the building surrounded.

'Murica
Damn, I just ran out for some cigarettes, some real fruit juice (no added sugar), and some codeine and I missed the next shootout.
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 15:15:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
trust me on this one
no
First Page 2 3 ... 1115 1116 1117 ... 1375 1376 1377