Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1114 1115 1116 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 16:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Siren.Mosin said: »
He is learning in real time the consequences of isolationism.

More specifically, doing isolationism wrong.

I'm curious. Elaborate.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-01 16:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you so wired for conflict you can't tell when someone is agreeing with you?
Since when have you ever agreed with me, other than this first time?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 16:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

I'm curious. Elaborate.

Like constant threats and ultimatums, drone strikes and air raids, and collusion. Simply taking the threat of ground invasion off the table is full retard isolationism.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 16:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Are you so wired for conflict you can't tell when someone is agreeing with you?
Since when have you ever agreed with me, other than this first time?

I don't disagree with you as often as you think. I often disagree with how you say things.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 16:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious. Elaborate.

Like constant threats and ultimatums, drone strikes and air raids, and collusion. Simply taking the threat of ground invasion off the table is full retard isolationism.

Everyone knows the US wouldn't engage in a ground invasion so the threat is empty. EU knows the US has no commitment to engaging in IS in a ground war. Putin knows and so does Assad and IS.

The only way we get engaged in a ground war is if they hit us (in the US) and we reactionarily get in there a la 9/11.

At best we get a coalition of players who all hate eachother to haphazardly throw themselves at IS.
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 16:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I disagree with all this disagreeing to agree with different/same words!
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 16:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious. Elaborate.

Everyone knows the US wouldn't engage in a ground invasion so the threat is empty. EU knows the US has no commitment to engaging in IS in a ground war. Putin knows and so does Assad and IS.

The only way we get engaged in a ground war is if they hit us (in the US) and we reactionarily get in there a la 9/11.

At best we get a coalition of players who all hate eachother to haphazardly throw themselves at IS.

That may be, but it doesn't change that Obama's isolationist approach is neither effective nor isolationist. If you want to do isolationism, even voicing an opinion about conflicts is pushing it, much less meddling and coercing.

The US doesn't have a hope of actually being isolationist anytime soon, and I'm not saying we should be, but simply using passive rhetoric while you bomb and strongarm other countries isn't even headed in the right direction.
[+]
By volkom 2015-12-01 17:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

why doesnt US work with RU and w/e nation and fight isis/isil first then do w/e about the regime later?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 17:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
why doesnt US work with RU and w/e nation and fight isis/isil first then do w/e about the regime later?

Putin and Obama don't even respect eachother as world leaders, the tension and mutual antagonism hanging in the air at every event they're at is stifling at a distance. Makes it difficult to work together when you don't even respect the guy.

The US has obligations to countries like Turkey actively working to undermine the Assad regime, to the detriment of Russia. Russia is working with Iran, whom we antagonize. Hard to pick sides when you're locked into agreements and both sides that should be working together hate eachother. So you get ineffectual bombing campaigns and active undermining that plays to IS, despite IS 'losing' overall.

Then you have to consider what each players endgame is. Remove Assad and install who? Leave Assad and eat crow? What about those refugees? Will they go home? To what? Shia/Sunni proxy wars gonna continue to proxy.

And the whole bit about 'destroying IS' cuts back to the 'war on terrorism'. How exactly can beat an ideology? Especially one backed with Saudi money? A US 'ally' no less?
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 17:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

In all honesty, we need to either sterilize the area or get out for good. We also shouldn't work with Russia or Assad. They can get in line or get in the way, but if we're in there, getting the job done should be priority one.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 17:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm curious. Elaborate.

That may be, but it doesn't change that Obama's isolationist approach is neither effective nor isolationist. If you want to do isolationism, even voicing an opinion about conflicts is pushing it, much less meddling and coercing.

The US doesn't have a hope of actually being isolationist anytime soon, and I'm not saying we should be, but simply using passive rhetoric while you bomb and strongarm other countries isn't even headed in the right direction.

The Obama isolationist strategy is more like a 'pass the buck' strat except the POTUS' heart isn't in it to rally a visible coaltion.

Press our allies to do things because another ground war isn't going to play well at home, despite the uptic post-Paris is the will of the people but at the same time, there is a void surrounding who is the spearhead against IS. The Arab states also look like a bunch of weak fools unable to deal with a pop up Islamic 'state' despite a sustained bombing campaign. France has its hands full in North Africa.

Putin is more than happy to occupy the power vacuum to play up his home politics.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-12-01 17:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

(long discussion about birthrates.)

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Probably because "developed" nations eat foods processed with a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
No. Its a host of factors. Common ones are delaying having children for school / career and the fact that the better educated breed less. There are local ones like Japan's herbivorous males and vodka in Russia.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-01 17:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Some videos on birthrates

YouTube Video Placeholder

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Phoenix.Xantavia
Server: Phoenix
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-12-01 18:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
In America most of what people consider as poverty is actually enough to support many families.
The problem isn't over population.
The problem is people want too much and waste too much and leave nothing for the truly needy.
Consumerism causes a lot of food to go to waste, however there's also to consider that the stuff that goes from shelves directly to garbage cans is not something you could have saved anyway. They get thrown away cause they expired before someone bought them(and you don't make a favour to anyone by giving them expired food).
This is why(only some)food retailers just take things off shelves a couple of days before the expiration date so that they can give the stuff to charities instead of completely turning it into waste.
Here in the US the food grocery stores throw away is still completely edible.
It's just policy or some other reason that it gets thrown away.
It's a terrible system and it needs changing.

Make them give it to homeless shelters and food banks like a lot of municipalities do. Win win.
Have tried.
They refuse to.
I watch my grocery story here throwing away huge garbage cans full of fresh produce that is still completely fine.
They won't even let me take any of it.
They told me if they let me then people would throw away things on purpose so they can take it for their self's.
I think it's a ***excuse if you ask me.
Why should the needy suffer just because of a few dishonest employees that may or may not even exist? I'm certain they do exist, but that doesn't mean every employee will do this.
There is also the big fear of lawsuits here in the states. Donate food that expired yesterday? There will be some lawyer trying to argue that you made the homeless sick with your bad food.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-12-01 18:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Well here's a fun fact, 99% of all species that existed on Earth at one point are now extinct.

Gets even crazier if you start counting the bacteria and microorganisms that existed prior to the atmosphere becoming oxygenated.
And?
This "Earth suffered worse conditions" argument that is often thrown around really doesn't make much sense. It would if we were a bunch of hippies wanting to save Mother Gaia, but that's not the point. We're trying to preserve the planet not in itself, a rock will stay a rock, but for us(and if we're good enough preserve other species too, or at least those that affect us - which is many).
Poll: 56% Of Voters Say Country Better Off Than It Was 4 Eons Ago

Kinda funny when satire echoes some of the ridiculous arguments made here.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 18:54:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
There is also the big fear of lawsuits here in the states. Donate food that expired yesterday? There will be some lawyer trying to argue that you made the homeless sick with your bad food.

Yeah, some protections would need to be worked into any kind of regulation for it, obviously. I still see no reason why perishable foodstuffs that are past a sell-by date by a day or two should be thrown in a landfill while people starve. Hell, give stores a tax incentive for their donations as well as immunity if they operate in good faith.

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Kinda funny when satire echoes some of the ridiculous arguments made here.

I'm convinced the first horseman of the apocalypse is when satire becomes vaguely credible compared to serious news media.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 19:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole sell by date thing is pretty much nonsense.
Even products that never spoil (such as salt) are required by law to have an expire date and be tossed out by businesses at a certain point.
Even if there is no law to not sell/serve these items, there are plenty of lawyers ready and more than willing to make it illegal/a liability for you.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-01 19:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that has to do with the packaging
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 19:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole sell by date thing is pretty much nonsense.
Even products that never spoil (such as salt) are required by law to have an expire date and be tossed out by businesses at a certain point.

Well, the integrity of the packaging is a valid concern. Even if something doesn't technically spoil, it can become contaminated or no longer be viable.

Still, as long as those rules exist, there should be a backup plan for goods that can no longer be sold but are still fit for consumption.

Edit: stupid Drac typing fast.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 19:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering most packaging for our daily things will still be in an undecomposed state for around the next thousand years (estimate) really makes me doubt that these rules are a precaution against packaging contamination.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-01 19:15:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering most packaging for our daily things will still be in an undecomposed state for around the next thousand years (estimate) really makes me doubt that these rules are a precaution against packaging contamination.

Blister packaging, maybe, but products like salt are in paper or cardboard packaging and even a lot of petroleum based packaging relies on adhesives that break down over time. And, more and more, manufacturers are using biodegradable paper packaging. Sell-by dates, for the most part, are not arbitrary.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-12-01 19:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Blister packaging, maybe, but products like salt are in paper or cardboard packaging and even a lot of petroleum based packaging relies on adhesives that break down over time. And, more and more, manufacturers are using biodegradable paper packaging. Sell-by dates, for the most part, are not arbitrary.
That may be true but these rules have been in effect far before these new eco-friendly methods were implemented.

What I'm trying to get at is this has little to nothing to do with consumer safety and almost everything to do with selling more product by making it appear more perishable than it really is.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-12-01 21:02:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just for fun I checked my salt to verify this claim. Diamond Salt has no expiration date on it. Not sure how a preservative could go bad but yeah.

My Bigelow Tea, Cinnamon Stick flavored, expires in *three years* 2018.

A can of tomato sauce expires in two years.

Not sure how sell by dates are part of some conspiracy here. The items with sell by dates you'd actually care most about are things like milk which are well known perishables.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-12-01 22:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I am gifting a lot of David's Tea this christmas. Just throwing that out there. I wish they made a cologne that smelled like their store.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-02 03:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

NATO invited Montenegro to join them.
Russia: "if they accept we won't do things with them anymore."

I'm dying. These reactions are just so funny.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-02 07:39:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Putin and Obama don't even respect eachother as world leaders, the tension and mutual antagonism hanging in the air at every event they're at is stifling at a distance. Makes it difficult to work together when you don't even respect the guy.
Why would anyone respect Obama in the first place? All he ever does is make threats and doesn't back them up, or promise one thing but does something completely different.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-12-02 07:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

What I'm trying to get at is this has little to nothing to do with consumer safety and almost everything to do with selling more product by making it appear more perishable than it really is.
Yeah, that's an unsubstantiated conspiracy theory, not actual fact.

I did like however when people complained about the doughnuts that 7-11 throws away daily. Seriously, those things are barely edible when fresh, they're not fit for human consumption after they've been in the case all day.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-02 07:43:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, give stores a tax incentive for their donations as well as immunity if they operate in good faith.
Already done.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-12-02 09:10:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
I am gifting a lot of David's Tea this christmas. Just throwing that out there. I wish they made a cologne that smelled like their store.

What does one buy in such a store? Is it only tea?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-12-02 09:19:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

What does one buy in such a store? Is it only tea?
Website says it all.
First Page 2 3 ... 1114 1115 1116 ... 1375 1376 1377