Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1019 1020 1021 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
No, you underestimate them. It's more progressive anti gun vomit. Would you rather take your 1 million man army and invade the a nation where 20% of the 300 million people (60 million) own guns, or would you rather invade the country where only 2% of that 300 million (6 million) own guns.

Why?

There is literally zero comparison between invading a country and malnourished and dying people in the ghettos. I can't even fathom the levels of ignorance going through your head when you post these things.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-09 15:37:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Aeyela said: »
What is the ultimate point here? Guns are ineffective as a deterrent of force?

Honestly? That you persist on arguing over topics or historical events you know absolutely *** all about.

Ah, so you have no point. Thought so.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-09 15:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you underestimate them. It's more progressive anti gun vomit. Would you rather take your 1 million man army and invade the a nation where 20% of the 300 million people (60 million) own guns, or would you rather invade the country where only 2% of that 300 million (6 million) own guns.

Why?

There is literally zero comparison between invading a country and malnourished and dying people in the ghettos. I can't even fathom the levels of ignorance going through your head when you post these things.

I forgot you need to be fully nourished and living in gated communities to fire a gun.
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
yep. explosives would be far more useful than small arms.

Indeed. Try using a small firearm against a tank and see how it ends up. Whereas an explosive at the least may stop the tank in its tracks.

Also, explosives were used to terrific effect on D.Day by the French Resistance to cut the Nazi supply and communication lines. Wouldn't have helped if they were guns instead.

Maybe we should have a "Guns for TNT" day in America?
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, so you have no point. Thought so.

I just posted a pretty relevant historical point and gave you a link so you could further your knowledge on it. It's pretty clear that if nobody has a point here it's you.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-09 15:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
Does something elude you? His point, as well as your reaction to it have enormous historical relevance.

Warsaw was armed. How'd that work out for them?

Oh right, there was no good reason that Hitler took the guns BEFORE he started his genocide.

Within Germany, Warsaw is in Poland, bro.

What is the ultimate point here? Guns are ineffective as a deterrent of force?

You overestimate their efficacy in those scenarios, that's the point.

Why?

The difference would be measured in how long it would take, not whether it would be possible.

Also, the USA is about 3.8 million square miles, that's 16 armed people per square mile by your figures. Far from an organized and effective resistance by any stretch of the imagination. Especially when the only means for organizing are in the hands of the government.

The focus on Carson's statements are less about guns and more about a fundamental misunderstanding the role of small arms in world events.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

So many personal attacks.

So nobody else is going to talk about how Cali took a step away from fascism? No? K.
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:42:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

It's not a personal attack to state a matter of fact. If people find it so offensive to be called out on their ignorance they should educate themselves.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-09 15:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe this country will ever be disarmed. I'd pick a different crusade.

The root of the problem is lack of parental guidance, lack of education, & poverty. those are issues we can make headway on, and would cause the cessation of gun violence.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a personal attack to state a matter of fact. If people find it so offensive to be called out on their ignorance they should educate themselves.

Maybe you should double check that with the Torama.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't believe this country will ever be disarmed. I'd pick a different crusade.

The root of the problem is lack of parental guidance, lack of education, & poverty. those are issues we can make headway on, and would cause the cessation of gun violence.

Countries that have strict gun regulations still have a lack of parental guidance, education and poverty. But they don't have mass shootings all the time.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-09 15:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So nobody else is going to talk about how Cali took a step away from fascism? No? K.

out here in herda hadda, 99.9% of the people if asked what the cops do with 'stingrays' would imagine something to do with fish.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-09 15:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I did!
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-09 15:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Countries

that aren't this one.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't assert that it would fully cease any kind of violence, but it would cut down on violence (of all kinds) and crime in general.

Education and finances are very large issues in this nation.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:46:41
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no need to. If I overstep a line I'm sure I will be informed. Anyone coming into this thread that displays a high level of ignorance on such atrocious historical events really need thicker skin.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Countries

that aren't this one.

What's that got to do with anything? Every country I could cite has all the problems America has but none of them allow guns. You don't think there's possibly something about that that might be the reason they have next to no gun crime?
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I did!
Hence the "nobody else" instead of just "nobody" :D
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There's no need to. If I overstep a line I'm sure I will be informed. Anyone coming into this thread that displays a high level of ignorance on such atrocious historical events really need thicker skin.

Matter of a difference of opinion.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-10-09 15:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Would kinda depend on the wording and execution.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 15:48:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Matter of a difference of opinion.

Indeed.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-09 15:49:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference would be measured in how long it would take, not whether it would be possible.

When has that ever mattered in times of war, AMIRITE?
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

out here in herda hadda, 99.9% of the people if asked what the cops do with 'stingrays' would imagine something to do with fish.
Honestly I wasn't 100% sure what they were talking about when I saw the article, until I read it. I had suspicion that may have been the subject (didn't know the name, but was starting to infer from the context).

So ha.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-09 15:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly I wasn't 100% sure what they were talking about when I saw the article, until I read it. I had suspicion that may have been the subject (didn't know the name, but was starting to infer from the context).

So ha.

NPR did a little expose on them a few months back, but that's the first I'd ever heard of their existence. I mean, spoofing cellular towers isn't remotely new, there's a ton of trusted data sent for QoS type stuff, but the common police departments having them was a shock to me. Just the shear amount of junk data that gets swept up in an operation like that is textbook unlawful search and seizure.

Since cell carriers own their technology and probably have some stake in the devices since they're subsidized, I can't believe that spoofing a tower doesn't fall into criminal territory.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-10-09 15:54:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Does something elude you? His point, as well as your reaction to it have enormous historical relevance.

Warsaw was armed. How'd that work out for them?

Oh right, there was no good reason that Hitler took the guns BEFORE he started his genocide.

No, I am not referring to the holocaust victims. In 1944 Warsaw rebelled against the Nazi conquerors and fought and gained large swathes of Warsaw before ultimately being defeated over sixty days later. The Nazis then razed Warsaw to the ground and completely obliterated the city.

Not only that, but almost all personnel who took part were brutally and systematically executed after being promised safe surrender. It was the largest (by a long way) rebellion against the Axis during World War 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Uprising

And a reconstruction of the aftermath using historical photographs and data:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Look how that rebellion in Syria is going, too. They look pretty well armed to me. It's just willful ignorance and baseless defense of "MUH GUNS" to say that a gun means freedom.

You're not arguing against the effectiveness of an armed citizenry, you're making an argument for pacifism during occupation. "Don't resist, just do what they say and we'll be better off"

Poland may have lost during the uprising, but they were capable of uprising BECAUSE THEY WERE ARMED. I can't wait to hear you backtrack the next time Palestine comes into the news cycle.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-09 15:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure if anyone did it except the police they'd find themselves in a 8x10 with some hairy guy that they don't want to meet.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-10-09 15:57:00
Link | Quote | Reply

What's that got to do with anything? Every country I could cite has all the problems America has but none of them allow guns.

then live in one of those utopias, & leave us alone! we like guns.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 16:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not arguing against the effectiveness of an armed citizenry

Of course I am. You're just choosing to ignore it.

you're making an argument for pacifism during occupation. "Don't resist, just do what they say and we'll be better off"

No, you're seeing what you want to see. At no point have I said or inferred anything of the sort.

Poland may have lost during the uprising, but they were capable of uprising BECAUSE THEY WERE ARMED.

You have no idea why the Uprising failed because you evidently didn't bother reading the link. They were exceptionally well armed and stocked at the start of the Uprising, having fortified key parts of the city and built an arsenal of weaponry well in advance.

The Uprising failed because the Soviets sat on the outskirts of Warsaw and watched their foes kill each other, then waltzed straight into the desolate city afterwards and claimed it for the Kremlin. It was nothing to do with their fire power, be it a glut or lack of.

I would go through the other half dozen instances of failed but well armed rebellions in history that come to mind, but I believe that was the job of your history teacher years ago.
By Aeyela 2015-10-09 16:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

then live in one of those utopias, & leave us alone! we like guns.

Hard to argue with street smarts like that.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1019 1020 1021 ... 1375 1376 1377