School Bans On Chocolate Milk May Backfire

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 20:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Chanti, that was a bit underhanded and cruel, at all once...
By Altimaomega 2014-04-17 20:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Skipping over a few pages this whole thing looks like a bipartisan convergence zone to me.

Republican no fun zone and Democratic nanny state shake hands.

Oh... the chocolate milk they serve in schools is always almost always 2%. The butterfat content that isn't needed to bribe kids into drinking is worth more elsewhere.

Alti can tell you all about the economics of butterfat content. When he talks about cows, dairy farming, or milk he is a knowledgeable, sustainable, best practices farmer.

People would freak the *** out.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-17 20:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

*** cow dominated drink markets
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 20:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Offering soy or almond milk for lunch in school would have really cut back on that uncomfortable 6th period gas.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 20:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Corn syrup is just sugar. Which means that it should have little place in a public diet like a school system's cafeteria. Not no place, but a limited one. My high school sold cookies that were something like 6" across. That beats the hell out of a carton of chocolate milk, I know that.

As for trans fats, they largely are banned. They're not obesity-inducing, though, but rather carcinogenic.

Didn't I say:

Quote:
Without also causing a cluster *** of debate on HFCS
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-17 20:31:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Anjisnu said: »
*** cow dominated drink markets

Don't blame the cows. They are victims in all of this! When asked for a quote from CNN a cow spokeswoman replied "Moo."
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-17 20:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Offering soy or almond milk for lunch in school would have really cut back on that uncomfortable 6th period gas.

Almond milk is meh and is awkwardly thick, the vanilla/chocolate flavored stuff is pretty good though. And soy milk sucks worse than skim milk.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2014-04-17 20:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

i really just hate cows to me they just seem like fat unfun horses
By Altimaomega 2014-04-17 20:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You've never rode a cow before then!
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 20:37:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weakness said: »

Almond milk is meh and is awkwardly thick, the vanilla/chocolate flavored stuff is pretty good though. And soy milk sucks worse than skim milk.
gave my kid the runs like hell when her other family members kept giving it to her...
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXIV
By Terrah Crystal 2014-04-17 20:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Whole milk (which I assume was the kind of milk used in the chocolate milk) contains quite alot of calories. For a nation trying to lower it's obesity rate, it just surprised me they would even serve this, let alone chocolate milk. I'm aware of the nutritional values, but they're likely having a good amount for breakfast anyway.

Milk was never served in any school I went to, and money wasn't the reason.

My school served 1% and 2%. Whole Milk was never offered at my HS.

The effort of banning chocolate milk, would be far more beneficial at educating K-12 on proper portion control.

This pyramid is what got American K-12 fat. It is one of the worst mistakes of the public health K-12 education. It for decades never specified the ounces of each serving....
Who cares if they specify the ounces? By that thing, I should be eating something like 2200 calories a day of bread with maybe 200 calories of meat.

In fairness these days.... with the way beef/pork prices are... may have to eat more bread products... $5.50/pd for beef and pork is nuts
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 20:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Your own fault for being lactose intolerant and drinking lactose, then. As someone of western European descent with millennia of adult lactose consumption in my genes, I am glad both to be able to comfortably drink milk and to be living proof of evolution. Though, on that count, being able to digest lactose almost feels Lamarckian.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 20:42:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The Silk brands are quite good though I find the sweetened kinds to be a bit too sweet. Haven't had milk in the house that wasn't for cooking for like 5 years and I don't miss it :O
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXIV
By Terrah Crystal 2014-04-17 20:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss having city water. Had a couple glasses when I was at my friends house and I missed it so much.

Well water (what I have) sucks so much.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 20:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Terrah Crystal said: »
In fairness these days.... with the way beef/pork prices are... may have to eat more bread products... $5.50/pd for beef and pork is nuts
Um... I guess it depends where you are? I'm in something that passes for the midwest and can get beef and chicken (I dislike most pig products except bacon) both for around $3/lb. when not on sale. Perhaps it is more expensive further from farms? I actually have no idea where the nearest cattle are grown.

When I'm hurting for money, though, I'd rather turn to eggs, corn meal, lentils, potatoes... Don't get me wrong, I like wheat and, indeed, bake my own bread and make my own pizza dough (among many other things), but a few days of the stuff is enough to make my guts tie in knots and it's not because I have any kind of gluten allergy or sensitivity.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-17 20:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
You've never rode a cow before then!
I have. Bony but then again they don't trot.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 20:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Your own fault for being lactose intolerant and drinking lactose, then. As someone of western European descent with millennia of adult lactose consumption in my genes, I am glad both to be able to comfortably drink milk and to be living proof of evolution. Though, on that count, being able to digest lactose almost feels Lamarckian.
I never really made the connection until after I moved out of my parent's house. Milk was always something that was there for us to drink and it didn't dawn on me that it was making me feel so shitty until after it was no longer a regular part of my diet.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-17 20:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The Silk brands are quite good though I find the sweetened kinds to be a bit too sweet. Haven't had milk in the house that wasn't for cooking for like 5 years and I don't miss it :O
None of it compares to the taste of real milk, either raw or only pasteurized. And the cow milk stuff you can buy in supermarkets doesn't either.

Another thing I suspect only Alti and I here know.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 20:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't eat eggs anymore, even though they used to be a staple of my diet.

If I eat eggs now, I get the shits, just like eating things with too much grease.

Just I figured out the grease thing way before I figured out that it was eggs that was making me sick when I was going to IHOP, not IHOP itself (even though it could have been sometimes).
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-17 20:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Even boiled in the shell Jet?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 20:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

None of it compares to the taste of real milk, either raw or only pasteurized. And the cow milk stuff you can buy in supermarkets doesn't either.

Another thing I suspect only Alti and I here know.
I've long wanted to try pasteurized fresh milk, but I have a really narrow limit on how much fat can be in a fluid before the mouth-feel makes me gag (I have a similar reaction to the mouth-feel of iceberg lettuce -- I am touch-centric where most people are sight or sound). I've heard of some people being able to drink heavy cream and the very idea leaves my stomach churning.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 20:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Even boiled in the shell Jet?
Don't like them that way, only liked scrambled/over eay.

Makes me sad, used to eat a dozen eggs at a time growing up and was skinny as hell...
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-04-17 21:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I too am lactose intolerant (didn't make the connection until I was in college, but was able to drink 2% milk with little issues, I can't do that now), but I love dairy WAY too much to give it up entirely, so I have one cup a day (if that), for cereal. I have ice cream like once every few months. I'm trying to get my husband to transition over to almond milk, which tastes good to me (better than soy milk), but my daughter wants NO part in it. At all. She actually KNOWS that I'm giving her almond milk and pours it in the sink. Mind you, she's not even 3 yet.

As for banning chocolate milk: I was in a school that served chocolate milk, whole milk, and skim milk. The chocolate milk was low-fat (think it was 2%). I used to drink the chocolate milk, but then only drank milk with cereal and sweet things like cookies. So instead I had a box of juice with me. I actually used to take my own lunch from home because everything else BUT the milk tasted like *** (other than the chicken nuggets, but those were popular and were gone fast as hell). Regular white milk actually just tastes bland. Of course kids ain't gonna touch it. And skim milk is even worse; I don't know of any adult who actually likes the taste of it, let alone a kid.

I hate drinking water. I drink a couple of cups a day, but I usually spritz it with a water enhancer, because our regular water over here tastes HORRIBLE. And those filters are kinda expensive, although I would've loved one for a Christmas present. Although, I LOVE water when it's iced over and it has ice cubes and icicles in it. LOVE IT. But otherwise, *** water.

Oh and someone mentioned iceberg lettuce a few pages back: dunno why that even exists. No amount of dressing can make that ***taste good.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 21:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Um... I guess it depends where you are? I'm in something that passes for the midwest and can get beef and chicken (I dislike most pig products except bacon) both for around $3/lb. when not on sale. Perhaps it is more expensive further from farms? I actually have no idea where the nearest cattle are grown.

lucky.. here in NJ ive seen beefs recently around $7-8 a pound. Needless to say ive stopped eating it...
 Asura.Ivykyori
Server: Asura
user: ivykyori
By Asura.Ivykyori 2014-04-17 21:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

My husband and I went food shopping today, and we picked up a package of pork for less than $2.50 a pound. Turkey was about 4 bucks a pound. Beef was the most expensive. Can't remember how much exactly, but yeah. I live in the Midwest, though so that might be it.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 21:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure of the prices off the top of my head but due to my location, I imagine poultry would probably be the cheapest around here.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 21:18:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ivykyori said: »
I hate drinking water. I drink a couple of cups a day, but I usually spritz it with a water enhancer, because our regular water over here tastes HORRIBLE. And those filters are kinda expensive, although I would've loved one for a Christmas present.
Expensive? I bought a Brita pitcher so many years ago that I don't even remember what it cost and I replace my filter every 3-5 months (they recommend every 3, but I drink other things besides water) for a cost of about $6. I'd hardly call ~$20/year expensive.

Actually, the whole reason I got the filtered pitcher was for cooking. Baking can go very wrong if water tastes bad or, worse yet, still has the kinds of chemicals present that will kill off my poor yeast.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 21:23:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, for as much water as you can get out of each filter, the price is extremely economical. Not drinking adequate amounts of water really does a great disservice to your body. I live in the desert so I'm constantly lugging around my Nalgene bottle so I don't feel like a mummified husk all the time. That alone is worth the constant trips to the bathroom!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-17 21:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I only drink rain water.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 21:27:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Godofgods said: »

lucky.. here in NJ ive seen beefs recently around $7-8 a pound. Needless to say ive stopped eating it...
Yeah it was like $6.19 a pound at Shoprite yesterday.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10