School Bans On Chocolate Milk May Backfire

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
School Bans on Chocolate Milk May Backfire
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Caitsith.Markus
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Markus
By Caitsith.Markus 2014-04-17 16:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyFZcuHmeI
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-17 16:39:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Markus said: »

use the link that is provided when you press the share button to stop getting errors. (quote me to see it)
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 16:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
isn't that supposed to be a parents job not the schools?
Typically school boards who make the rules are made of local parents.

well if those 'local parents' are anything like the ones here in NJ, then rule #1 should be 'don't listen to a word they say'. Parents that think they are (dare i say) god sends and mental geniuses, and there children are incapable of doing wrong...

That aside, its single vs the group. What might be helpful for one kid, does not mean its the same for everyone. And most certainly, what u think is good for your kid, should not be forced upon all kids.

Its one thing to say a school shouldn't serve greasy pizza, deep fried french fries and a soda to all the kids. Its another to go to the just as far but opposite end, and ban products because they have sugar and calories in them.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 16:48:10
Link | Quote | Reply

And most certainly, what u think is good for your kid, should not be forced upon all kids.
Indeed. Just because I choose to feed my kid and not chain him to a radiator doesn't mean we should impose those kinds of standards on anyone else!
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 16:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

yea.. disliking sugar and calories =/= physical child abuse. Nice deflection tho'
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 16:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

yea.. disliking sugar and calories =/= physical child abuse. Nice deflection tho'
It wasn't a deflection, I just didn't feel like putting the sarcasm tags around it. I kinda hoped the exclamation point would convey tone.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 17:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
It wasn't a deflection, I just didn't feel like putting the sarcasm tags around it. I kinda hoped the exclamation point would convey tone.

normally yea, but that the kind of personal atk/defensive statement ive grown to expect from ppl on here' :/
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 17:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

well if those 'local parents' are anything like the ones here in NJ, then rule #1 should be 'don't listen to a word they say'. Parents that think they are (dare i say) god sends and mental geniuses, and there children are incapable of doing wrong...

That aside, its single vs the group. What might be helpful for one kid, does not mean its the same for everyone. And most certainly, what u think is good for your kid, should not be forced upon all kids.

Its one thing to say a school shouldn't serve greasy pizza, deep fried french fries and a soda to all the kids. Its another to go to the just as far but opposite end, and ban products because they have sugar and calories in them.
but that's how school systems work dude, if you don't want them to be a part of it and you want them to eat strictly what you want them to: then home school them.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Peimei
Server: Carbuncle
user: Peimei
By Carbuncle.Peimei 2014-04-17 17:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Relevant.
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2014-04-17 18:08:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Milk isn't good for you anyway:

That said, I love me my giant glass of chocolate milk, and I want it in my cereal. Oh well.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-17 18:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

That video is pretty dumb and doesn't really support the idea that milk is bad for you.
[+]
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXIV
By Terrah Crystal 2014-04-17 18:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
THURSDAY, April 17, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Banning chocolate milk from schools may sound like a good move for kids' health, but efforts to do so haven't turned out that way, a small study found.

Bans on chocolate milk in 11 Oregon elementary schools were linked to a big drop in the amount of healthy, fat-free white milk students drank, a team of Cornell University researchers reports.

Nicole Zammit, former assistant director of nutrition services at the Eugene School District in Oregon, wasn't surprised by the findings.

"Given that the role of the federal school meal program is to provide nutritious meals to students who may otherwise have no access to healthy foods, I wouldn't recommend banning flavored milk unless you have a comprehensive plan in place to compensate for the lost nutrients when kids stop drinking milk altogether," she said in a Cornell news release.

In the study, researchers analyzed data from 11 Oregon elementary schools that outlawed chocolate milk and replaced it with skim milk. While the bans meant children could no longer get the added sugar found in chocolate milk, there were unexpected consequences.

Total milk sales at the schools fell by 10 percent, the study showed, and students ended up wasting 29 percent more milk than before. And while the students consumed less sugar and fewer calories, their intake of calcium and protein also fell.

After the chocolate milk bans took effect, there was a also 7 percent decrease in the number of students taking part in the Eugene School District's lunch program, according to the researchers at Cornell University's Center for Behavioral Economics in Child Nutrition Programs.

"There are other ways to encourage kids to select white milk without banning the chocolate," study co-author Brian Wansink, director of the Cornell Food and Brand Lab, said in the news release.

"Make white milk appear more convenient and more normal to select," he said. "Two quick and easy solutions are: Put the white milk in the front of the cooler and make sure that at least 1/3 to 1/2 of all the milk is white."

Source

Niece is hyper enough after school...
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 18:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

but that's how school systems work dude, if you don't want them to be a part of it and you want them to eat strictly what you want them to: then home school them.

Im saying there is a reason for variety. Even if it is only milk and chocolate milk. If you dont want one, then have the other. A parents personal dislike over chocolate shouldn't be forced on everyone.
By fonewear 2014-04-17 18:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Doing lines of coke is bad for you but hasn't stopped me !
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 18:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Terrah Crystal said: »

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/busting-sugar-hyperactivity-myth

Many believe that's a myth. Theirs some studies related to it on there too.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 18:27:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Im saying there is a reason for variety. Even if it is only milk and chocolate milk. If you dont want one, then have the other. A parents personal dislike over chocolate shouldn't be forced on everyone.

I'd agree if it were just a "dislike" but there was valid concerns for it.

@sugar/hyperactivity: is a myth.
 Valefor.Mithano
Server: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2014-04-17 18:31:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Terrah Crystal said: »

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/busting-sugar-hyperactivity-myth

Many believe that's a myth. Theirs some studies related to it on there too.

Yep, it's a myth:

I love this guy! I can't say I'm thrilled about what he has to say always (in terms of disbelief) but he has the data to back it up. Hard to argue with that.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 18:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

is that how pathetic we have become? Banning chocolate milk?
Sad, but true.
By Ophannus 2014-04-17 18:37:40
Link | Quote | Reply

How about just water? Who wants to drink milk while eating chicken nuggets or a Jamaican beef patty anyway? I always hates that. Milk only goes with peanutbutter and jelly or baked desserts. It's a terrible beverage unless you're trying to be a bodybuilder, it's just not thirst quenching. Just give kids water or if they want flavours give them some water beverage that's verrrry lightly sweetened and fortified with minerals kind of like vitamin water but it doesn't have to be a name brand. Something light in sugar but high in minerals, like a powerade/vitamin water or something. Honestly there's really not much sugar in a half pint of chcofolaye milk, those cartons are small as hell and it's still coupled with protein which slows the sugar's entry into the blood stream. Rather have kids consume sugar if its paired with vitamins and protein and potassium than eating a cake or brownie which is loaded with saturated fats and preservatives.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 18:47:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd agree if it were just a "dislike" but there was valid concerns for it.

@sugar/hyperactivity: is a myth.

I disagree with that. It doesn't come anywhere close to valid imo. It seems as irrational as Scientology.

The small amount of chocolate in those already small containers of milk in school are not doing any harm that i see. If a person is massively obese it aint because his little milk container had chocolate syrup in it. On the other side of that, i drank that chocolate milk in school every day i was there, all 12 years. To this day my highest steady weight is about 130lbs (skinny as hell.) And while many are quick to say 'well that might be my case, but its not the same for everyone else'... thats the whole point there. Its not the same for everyone and it shouldn't be imposed on everyone as a blanket rule. They're always have alternatives to drink, take one.

A more rational food argument is the call for restricting peanuts in school. Im not getting into that because its not the topic, but i can understand the point of view. That is truly a health hazard for some. One exposure and you can die... now thats bad for you. Not my kid gained a calorie from drinking chocolate milk.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 18:48:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Whole milk (which I assume was the kind of milk used in the chocolate milk) contains quite alot of calories. For a nation trying to lower it's obesity rate, it just surprised me they would even serve this, let alone chocolate milk. I'm aware of the nutritional values, but they're likely having a good amount for breakfast anyway.

Milk was never served in any school I went to, and money wasn't the reason.

My school served 1% and 2%. Whole Milk was never offered at my HS.

The effort of banning chocolate milk, would be far more beneficial at educating K-12 on proper portion control.

This pyramid is what got American K-12 fat. It is one of the worst mistakes of the public health K-12 education. It for decades never specified the ounces of each serving....
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 18:49:19
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument was that it was less healthy than the regular milk and there was really no reason to offer it, that is all.

The rest is personal anecdotes and kind of irrelevant my friend.

again, if people don't like the rules the schools are enforcing: there's always home school, which is better for the majority of children in the first place.

The problem is that people have no self control, and this is a step to curb that, if they don't have the option they can't take it.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 18:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

A more rational food argument is the call for restricting peanuts in school. Im not getting into that because its not the topic, but i can understand the point of view. That is truly a health hazard for some. One exposure and you can die... now thats bad for you.
Considering how life-threatening nut allergies can be and how little it takes to set them off, this is actually pretty valid.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-17 18:50:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I never drank school milk. After I tried it once and threw up in kindergarten I never touched it again
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-17 18:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

This pyramid is what got American K-12 fat. It is one of the worst mistakes of the public health systems. It for decades never specified the ounces of each serving....

After looking at many ppl in this nation you might be right. I think they believed that the whole pyramid combined was one serving...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-17 18:51:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
Whole milk (which I assume was the kind of milk used in the chocolate milk) contains quite alot of calories. For a nation trying to lower it's obesity rate, it just surprised me they would even serve this, let alone chocolate milk. I'm aware of the nutritional values, but they're likely having a good amount for breakfast anyway.

Milk was never served in any school I went to, and money wasn't the reason.

My school served 1% and 2%. Whole Milk was never offered at my HS.

The effort of banning chocolate milk, would be far more beneficial at educating K-12 on proper portion control.

This pyramid is what got American K-12 fat. It is one of the worst mistakes of the public health K-12 education. It for decades never specified the ounces of each serving....
Who cares if they specify the ounces? By that thing, I should be eating something like 2200 calories a day of bread with maybe 200 calories of meat.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 18:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Ya know what this reminds me of? CVS and Walgreens halting their sale of tobacco products. Yet, even though they try to force their customers to stop smoking, guess what? The chips, soda, and candy bars remain! What sort of *** is that?! They want to force their customers into "healthy" lifestyles, and ditch tobacco in the process, why not also give the boot to the chips, sodas and candy? It's a double-standard.
Those things aren't that harmful in moderation, while smoking is always harmful, not equivocal.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-17 18:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The argument was that it was less healthy than the regular milk and there was really no reason to offer it, that is all.

Chocolate milk is great! Chocolate has antioxidants in it not found in regular milk, it obviously isn't as high as regular dark chocolate or cocoa but there are some there.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-17 18:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Chocolate milk is great! Chocolate has antioxidants in it not found in regular milk, it obviously isn't as high as regular dark chocolate or cocoa but there are some there.
I said I see their premise, not that I agreed with it...

personally I think there's a lot of other things they could change, starting with the grease content.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10