Theological Ramblings.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Theological ramblings.
Theological ramblings.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-07 17:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
You have to crawl before you can walk and walk before running. It kinda begins with the idea that you want to progress your arguments and be open to new data in both the theist/atheist corner.

I spent a year of college getting reamed by a theology professor for having crap arguments in my corner regarding religion and then another being chewed out by philosophy professors who enjoy doing little other than deconstructing arguments for no real purpose other than to facilitate personal development. I was that cocky college atheist and got put on my *** on more than one occasion. A similar thing happens to cocky theists who think they "know" when they don't really "know" anything.

Yes, it sucks to get embarrassed and its even more aggravating when someone puts you in a position where you're forced to just say "yeah man, whatever." But the idea is that you'll be back - and back with better arguments / evidence. A commitment to learning.

The problem with all this is that the most popular forms of theism discourage critical thinking in exchange for blind adherence. If someone presents you with ideas that challenge beliefs, the texts encourage you to ignore this and encourage murdering said individual because God's word is eternal. When presented with every possible reason to go left, you're instructed to stay the course and go right off a cliff.

Of course many theists ignore this for obvious reasons. Personal beliefs, changing social atmospheres, self-generated systems of rationalization, acceptance of scientific truths or ignorance of the texts all coincide with strict adherence to writ. It's also why fundamentalists are so dangerous as they take ignoring reality to the extreme. This isn't to say that the atheist cannot hold the course regardless of evidence mounting towards any theism as humans are prideful creatures but where the atheist merely has an ego to protect, the theist has a supernatural entity to defend under pain of eternal reward/punishment.

The stakes couldn't be higher.

This is what I was talking about. More posts like this, please.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 17:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Jetackuu said: »

"Keep your religion to yourself." Followed by: "Don't expect people to not come in and disagree."

So, don't talk about your religion in a religion thread, unless you're an atheist, in which case you don't have to keep that to yourself, but it's not okay to disagree with an atheist? Man, I'm confused.

Atheism by the strictest sense cannot be a religion, it lacks multiple requirements, even if you use the more popular definitions.

You are confused.

Don't talk about your beliefs regardless if they belong to a religion or you made them up entirely your own unless you want to present yourself with the possibility that they will be ridiculed if you can't or even can back them up with logic and facts, there will always be those who feel the need to tear you a new one. The point is: get your panties out of a knot.

Ah, Jet. You're trying too hard to make something out of this. I'm just asking for more constructive arguments, that's all. I know I'm in the absolute wrong place to expect such, but a man can dream.

I don't need to be "constructive" it's simple: if you don't want to have to defend your beliefs, as it may offend you then don't let your beliefs be known, if you do let them be known, be prepared to defend them.

It's simple, it really is that simple.
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-07 17:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Desperate
Clinging
the best you can do
strawman

Anything else you wanna pull out of the big book of generic internet comebacks?

And no, I didn't overreact. I just said it (and you) were dumb for making things up to worry about. You're the one swearing and CAPLOCKING in your post.

So first, you complain that I called you ignorant when you're the only one calling people ignorant; and that's self-evident if you read the thread. Now you're accusing me of overreacting when it's pretty obvious that you're the only one over reacting.

So, what's next.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-07 17:51:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So your argument is now that you don't have an argument and I'm wrong because I happen to cite standard points of argumentation.

Oh dear, yes, they do get mentioned a lot since things like straw-man fallacies are one of the commonest failures of argumentation. Well, since the fallacy is common, calling it out must be wrong. How silly of me to use logic against your knee-jerk response.

I would say that I seriously worry about how deprived your inner life must be for having no place for imagination and contemplation in it, but you might start into another mindless round of calling me stupid for making up things to worry about again. Or will you only do that if I squeeze the word "god" in there somewhere arbitrarily and meaninglessly?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-07 17:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, Jet, you completely miss the point. Attack my beliefs all you want, but at least give it an honest effort beyond name-calling. If you run for political office and have to hold a debate, for example, you're going to need a whole lot more than "you're stupid" or "you're wrong" in order to win.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 18:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, Jet, you completely miss the point. Attack my beliefs all you want, but at least give it an honest effort beyond name-calling. If you run for political office and have to hold a debate, for example, you're going to need a whole lot more than "you're stupid" or "you're wrong" in order to win.
I didn't miss your point, but your point is negligible.

I'm sorry that you think that people's stupid religious beliefs deserve any amount of respect and or time to dismantle.

Also filing things into categories as they are is by no means name calling, I'm not being hateful in the least, or wish you ill will.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 18:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I really don't care about Billy Graham the Pope etc. If you want to be religious fine. If you don't have a religion that is fine. What is there to really discuss ? Just your reasons why or why not.
Why one doesn't believe would fit here.

Bahamut.Scizor said: »
Another Chanti bait thread...
Oh my yes.

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
.... If you seriously don't want to even consider one of the primary conundrums of religion and philosophy, maybe you should go elsewhere.
Argument is welcome but I would prefer it to be a a bit more scholarly. Then again I do realize this IS the internet.

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
.... If I sat here and openly expressed my concerns over what Wolverine would do to me when he finds me, first of all you'd think I'm insane, but secondly, you'd roll your eyes pretty hard if I said you were ignorant for not even considering it.
Theology is either trying to make sense of holy writings or speculation. Ono is speculating.

I would ask you the whys of your disbelief.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-07 18:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry that you think that people's stupid religious beliefs deserve any amount of respect and or time to dismantle.

And yet here we are, with people like you going out of your way to ridicule things that aren't worth your time or respect. Interesting. Regardless, I'd use Sparthosx as an example of an atheist who gets it, even if I generally don't like him.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-07 18:12:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
.... If you seriously don't want to even consider one of the primary conundrums of religion and philosophy, maybe you should go elsewhere.
Argument is welcome but I would prefer it to be a a bit more scholarly. Then again I do realize this IS the internet.
Define scholarly, please. Do I need to quote Descartes before I'm allowed to speculate on the existence of personality separated from the biological mechanisms of the endocrine system? I mean, I can, but I suppose I foolishly believed that one of the biggest philosophical questions couched in medical science made it adequately scholarly.

Ugh, and I'm all angried up and defensive right now, too, because maybe you didn't mean anything by that. Please do tell me what you mean.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 18:13:13
Link | Quote | Reply

And yet here we are, with people like you going out of your way to ridicule things that aren't worth your time or respect. Interesting. Regardless, I'd use Sparthosx as an example of an atheist who gets it, even if I generally don't like him.
I didn't say they weren't worth my time or respect at all, just not enough to dismantle. There's a big difference.

Oh didn't you hear? I'm not an atheist now, I'm apparently not allowed to use the word.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 18:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Atheists have nothing to gain by keeping quiet.
True. Some are even quite articulate in their responses.

Quote:
.... Jewish claims of being chosen by God.... religion deserves to be criticized for making claims it could never hope to back up.
We ARE God's chosen. We have a contract to prove it. It isn't a very good one. It basically says "here are the rules, now that you know the rules you can't **** up." If we ask about the goyim, the answer is "they don't know the rules, they can **** up."

There is another part to that contract though. And another reason we are called the chosen people.

We have been chosen by the Assyrians, the Babylonians, the Romans, and to skip over a few, the Third Reich.

Mighty nations HAVE risen up against us. They ARE as dust under our heels.

Quote:
That's the fun of questioning everything including your faith. Some of the greatest theologians did the same and gave birth to our modern methods of science. Change is inevitable and I have no intention of keeping quiet while I have the opportunity to reason.
Well said
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-07 18:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't say they weren't worth my time or respect at all, just not enough to dismantle. There's a big difference.

Oh didn't you hear? I'm not an atheist now, I'm apparently not allowed to use the word.

Well I always thought you were using it inaccurately as well, but I'd rather not get into semantics with you again. We've done that enough in the past.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 18:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I always thought you were using it inaccurately as well, but I'd rather not get into semantics with you again. We've done that enough in the past.

I vaguely recall.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-04-07 18:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I have no objections to atheists who question faith, just the ones that ridicule needlessly
You don't do a good job yourself at that when you start with something like this:
If you want to resign yourself to the idea that your existence is meaningless
that's like belittling an atheist by default.

If you really want to show to be open-minded then you should start by presenting your arguments in a more neutral way, don't you think?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 18:59:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Atheism by the strictest sense cannot be a religion, it lacks multiple requirements, even if you use the more popular definitions....
The Madalyn Murray O'Hair branch of Atheism sure looks like one.

just because I used a veneer of mysticism does not make this a foolish idea to contemplate.
Yeah, it kinda does. It's not any different in wondering if the chant to case fire spells is more complicated than the chant to cast water spells.

You're literally trying to claim that calling this example stupid is 'ignorant', only you're using a different set of 'mysticism'. News flash: neither examples actually exists in this reality.
Actually you can't prove the nonexistence of either. Again, non falsifiable claims.

The problem with that is that religion is a non falsifiable claim. You can't disprove a negative. It's the same as asking for arguments that disproves that there's a giant green dragon floating behind me right now..
Just don't look behind yourself right now, OK?

Leviathan.Andret said: »
Then there is the power of the All Creator (God, divine intelligence or whatever). If the world/universe was created then you can look at the history of human and you can conclude that the creator would be Evil, Twisted, Idiotic or maybe the All Creator isn't that powerful and should not be feared.

Ex: God created man as an experiment. Being all wise and can see the future, he realized he made a mistake. In his valiant attempt to save the failed experiment, he created woman from man. Then it became obvious to him that the byproduct of the failed experiment won't be fixing his failed experiment. He went QQ and said 'no more experiments or miracles'.
Both well argued theological points. But there were post Genesis miracles. Just no post Genesis creation.

Long ago a bunch of Jewish mystics attempted to answer a simple question. I paraphrase:

If God is perfect into and of himself why does this world even exist?

That question started the Kabbalah.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 19:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Atheism by the strictest sense cannot be a religion, it lacks multiple requirements, even if you use the more popular definitions....
I'm sure a lot have a lot of similarities, but going by this:

Quote:
re·li·gion
[ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

a group defined purely by that they're atheists can't solely be considered a religion, the lack of (or even the supposed denial of) a belief in a god, isn't a set of beliefs, which all of those definitions require.

Now we can probably get into some conversations about other definitions of the word "religion" or what people consider one as, or even talk about how that group can identify as one thing and yet inherently still be very religious.

Or that by some definitions persons with religion that doesn't have a deity could still be considered atheists, by several definitions of the word.

But that's getting a bit on a tangent, and I'm sure it would be derailed by certain individuals who don't realize that definitions change, or we may possibly offend someone, who knows.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 19:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem with all this is that the most popular forms of theism discourage critical thinking in exchange for blind adherence.
Going to argue against that. Catholicism welcomes critical thinking. they even put a Warning: allegory label on Revelations. Some branches of Islam yearn for the earlier days when the Islamic world was the planet's scholars and astronomers.

Quote:
.... It's also why fundamentalists are so dangerous as they take ignoring reality to the extreme....
To me its the fundamentalists that are the problem. Any of them, any religion, yes even the Jewish ones.

.... I'd use Sparthosx as an example of an atheist who gets it, even if I generally don't like him.
Yes, Spar offers commentary worth responding to. Every. Single. Post.

Define scholarly, please. Do I need to quote Descartes before I'm allowed to speculate on the existence of personality separated from the biological mechanisms of the endocrine system? ....

Ugh, and I'm all angried up and defensive right now, too, because maybe you didn't mean anything by that. Please do tell me what you mean.
No, you needn't put Descartes before dehorse to reply.

My fault, sorry, cutting the quote chain too short. My wording was more about Ihina's shutdown than your reaction to it. You do scholarly QUITE well, Ihina not at all. But nevertheless inarticulate responses are not unwelcome.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-07 19:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So your argument is now that you don't have an argument and I'm wrong because

You and Jetackuu seem to have this misunderstanding.

A lack of an argument doesn't require an argument to rebut it.

We've been through all the points. You think X, I think X is stupid. That's pretty much all there is to it.

What is this argument, what is this strawman, what is this desperate clinging that's supposedly required for all this? None of it actually exists and none of it is actually transpiring between us, you're just pulling all the usual things out of a hat and throwing it at me because I said you're dumb and your feelings are hurt and you're mad.

(And you are)
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-07 19:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I am a terrible person for laughing at that. I normally loathe puns, too, so congratulations.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 19:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

a group defined purely by that they're atheists can't solely be considered a religion, the lack of (or even the supposed denial of) a belief in a god, isn't a set of beliefs, which all of those definitions require.

Now we can probably get into some conversations about other definitions of the word "religion" or what people consider one as, or even talk about how that group can identify as one thing and yet inherently still be very religious.

Or that by some definitions persons with religion that doesn't have a deity could still be considered atheists, by several definitions of the word....
Why I say that The Madalyn Murray O'Hair branch of atheism looks like a religion.

1, They have regular meetings.

2, They study the bible. OK, they are looking for salacious content, but they do study it.

3, They proselytize.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 19:54:47
Link | Quote | Reply

We've been through all the points. You think X, I think X is stupid. That's pretty much all there is to it.

What is this argument, what is this strawman, what is this desperate clinging that's supposedly required for all this? None of it actually exists and none of it is actually transpiring between us, you're just pulling all the usual things out of a hat and throwing it at me because I said you're dumb.

(And you are)
heyheyhey now, don't lump me in now with them, I fully understand what you mean.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 19:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Or that by some definitions persons with religion that doesn't have a deity could still be considered atheists, by several definitions of the word....
Why I say that The Madalyn Murray O'Hair branch of atheism looks like a religion.

1, They have regular meetings.

2, They study the bible. OK, they are looking for salacious content, but they do study it.

3, They proselytize.
You and I define what looks like a religion differently then, but I see your point.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-07 19:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

heyheyhey now, don't lump me in now with them.

I do have serious issue with how you argue your points, but we can go over that in the next gun thread
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-07 19:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

We've been through all the points. You think X, I think X is stupid. That's pretty much all there is to it....
I agree. So why the constant reiteration? Half of your posts in this thread are basically that last line.

I am a terrible person for laughing at that. I normally loathe puns, too, so congratulations.
Thank you. /bow

/giggle
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 19:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

heyheyhey now, don't lump me in now with them.

I do have serious issue with how you argue your points, but we can go over that in the next gun thread
/tipshat
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-04-07 20:11:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree. So why the constant reiteration? Half of your posts in this thread are basically that last line.

Because it's called for every time Onorgul responds to me.

I'll admit his posts are a bit more diverse than mine are. Some of his posts attempt to mystify the super natural, some of them state nonsense arguments (cell phone), some of them throw buzzwords at me (strawman!) and about half of them are just whining. You just can't complain about being called ignorant when you spend every other post calling people ignorant, I can't be guilty of a strawman if we're not actually having an argument, and so forth.

Just for today though, since his beliefs are about as dumb as it gets, I just stuck to the main premise rather than get distracted by the usual stuff people throw out.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-07 20:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

if we're not actually having an argument
Big "if" you're hinging your claim on. "If" we weren't having an argument, you wouldn't have kept making arguments. You also didn't stick to your original premise, presumably either because you didn't properly state your original premise (if you'd just said "Thinking about the afterlife is foolish metaphysics," I'd have agreed) or, more likely, because your original premise was wrong and you needed to divert to something else.

Also, you seriously didn't get the point of the cell phone example? I don't think I could have been more clear, but you don't seem to even grasp what you were writing.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-07 20:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I have no objections to atheists who question faith, just the ones that ridicule needlessly
You don't do a good job yourself at that when you start with something like this:
If you want to resign yourself to the idea that your existence is meaningless
that's like belittling an atheist by default.

If you really want to show to be open-minded then you should start by presenting your arguments in a more neutral way, don't you think?

Fair enough, I'll let you have that. Let's get philosophical now, though. If some astronomical event occurred tomorrow that not only wiped out life on Earth but any evidence that we ever existed, would there be meaning to anything we ever did in life?

Additionally, science depends on observation. We have one point of reference from which we deduce that the universe actually exists. That point of reference is our own first-person point of view. If atheists are right, then when we die our ability to observe no longer exists. Therefore, as far as we are concerned, the universe no longer exists. Regardless of our actions in life, the end result is exactly the same, hence my statement that existence would be meaningless.

I'm not mocking atheism here. This is simply how I view it. If someone would like to offer their view, I'm open to trying to understand differently.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-07 20:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Need to brush up on your science son, and you keep talking as if "atheism" were a belief system...
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-07 20:46:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's segue into Deism.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 9 10 11