[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-03-21 08:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the party I mentioned earlier that wants northern Italy to be independent.
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-03-21 12:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Vladimir Putin Signs Russia's Annexation of Crimea Into Law
By Alexander Smith

Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a law Friday completing the annexation of Crimea.

The ceremony at the Kremlin means Crimea has become part of the Russian Federation as two administrative districts, Crimea and the port city of Sevastopol.

Before signing the law, Putin hailed the incorporation of Crimea into Russian territory as a “remarkable event,” The Associated Press reported.

Western leaders and the new regime in Kiev have rejected the move, claiming Moscow’s actions constitute an illegal land grab.

Putin’s signature marked the end of an official process that he started on Tuesday with a passionate speech in front of members from both houses of parliament.

From there it was sent through the constitutional court and ratified unanimously by the lower and upper houses. However, after Putin gave his official support these stages were seen as a formality.

Earlier on Friday, Soviet chess legend-turned-political activist Garry Kasparov warned Western leaders in a Washington Post op-ed that "there is no dealing with" Putin and that only a show of strength could stop the Russian leader.

He also criticized Obama for taking the threat of troops off the table: "Nobody was asking for troops...but where Obama sees a gesture of peaceful intent, Putin sees more weakness."

The U.S. and E.U. slapped sanctions on dozens of Russian officials before and after Putin declared his intention to annex Crimea this week.

The Kremlin responded by imposing its own sanctions on top U.S. officials, including House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senator John McCain.

In an interview with CNBC on Friday, Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt said the sanctions would impact Russia more than it was letting on, and that Moscow was only "hurting itself" with its course of action.

Source
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-03-21 12:20:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Earlier on Friday, Soviet chess legend-turned-political activist Garry Kasparov warned Western leaders in a Washington Post op-ed that "there is no dealing with" Putin and that only a show of strength could stop the Russian leader.

He also criticized Obama for taking the threat of troops off the table: "Nobody was asking for troops...but where Obama sees a gesture of peaceful intent, Putin sees more weakness."

Quote:
The U.S. and E.U. slapped sanctions on dozens of Russian officials before and after Putin declared his intention to annex Crimea this week.

The Kremlin responded by imposing its own sanctions on top U.S. officials, including House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senator John McCain.

Find those two most interesting...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-03-21 13:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

So what exactly does Garry want done as a 'show of strength'? Economic sanctions have already caused wild fluctuations in the ruble, Russia is pushing worried countries into the arms of the West and Putin is finding himself in an isolated oligarchy. Putin ain't invincible and if he decides to rock the boat, further economic action could be taken that further agitates the Russian economy.

Obligatory:
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-03-21 13:17:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Ukraine has sorta been attacked, under agreement, isn't NATO sorta obligated to respond?

Ukraine isn't a member of NATO, so no.List of countries that are members of NATO
By volkom 2014-03-21 13:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So should I be playing fallout to develop some sort of sub conscious skill set in living in a post apocalyptic future just incase a full blown war breaks out?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-03-21 13:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
So should I be playing fallout to develop some sort of sub conscious skill set in living in a post apocalyptic future just incase a full blown war breaks out?

I've been thinking that myself. Hellllooooo Capital Wasteland. Owwwwwwwwwww.
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-03-21 14:14:23
Link | Quote | Reply

venice wants to secede from italy
Basques(Spain) and Scots([independence]UK) as well.
busy years in Europe~

Edit:
Hi Aselin~
Bismarck.Aselin said: »
Europe (EU): "We're not touching this with a 10-foot pole, not even the Eiffel Tower."
- EU sees too many risks getting in-between Ukraine and Russia.
EUs + old US sanction list: guardian
New US sanction list from yesterday: washington post
old EU version was longer than US, new US is about same length but has one higher quality level with a bank being on it.
All lists feature a description of the persons.

Not sure if EU did some new sanctions today, just came home.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-03-21 14:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
Basques(Spain)
First time I hear of this tbh, I always knew it was the east coast that wanted that(they don't swing all those aragonian flags for nothing).
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-03-21 14:19:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Basques(Spain) and Scots([independence]England) as well.
busy year in Europe~
Eh, not quite, Scotland want independence from the UK, all 4 nations in the UK are seen as separate countries already.
[+]
 Bismarck.Leneth
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-03-21 14:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Basques(Spain)
First time I hear of this tbh, I always knew it was the east coast that wanted that(they don't swing all those aragonian flags for nothing).
end of 2012: this happened
So if he wants to keep his promises there should be a referendum sooner or later.

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Basques(Spain) and Scots([independence]England) as well.
busy year in Europe~
Eh, not quite, Scotland want independence from the UK, all 4 nations in the UK are seen as separate countries already.
technically you are correct, but with the head of government of UK being the english PM, and head of state the queen and the main issues are with England (unfair ressource sharing[coast oil] + positions of nuclear weapons) it's practically correct. But I'll change it regardless, thank you~
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-21 14:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The EU did announce new sanctions today, and the Russian stock market dropped 3%, a day after the ruble sunk some more. But according to the Russian Parliament, everything is ok.

Merkel also said yesterday that the G-8 was dead in its current form and the Sochi conference in June is off, as expected. British PM is calling for the outright ouster of Russia, also as expected.
By volkom 2014-03-21 14:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Obama Crippled a Russian Bank with a Stroke of a Pen
source

was an interesting read imo.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-03-22 11:06:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's foreign ministry said on Saturday that Moscow has the right of a ***-for-tat response to the second wave of sanctions imposed by the European Union over Russia's annexation of the Ukrainian region of Crimea.

The EU imposed an new set of sanctions on Friday adding 12 Russians and Ukrainians to a list of people targeted by EU asset freezes and travel bans. There are now 33 on the list.

"It's a pity that the European Council made a decision that is divorced from reality," the ministry's spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said in a statement on the ministry's website.

"We believe it is time to return to the platform of pragmatic cooperation that reflects the interests of our countries. However, of course, the Russian side reserves itself the right to give a comparable answer to the actions taken."

In a separate statement, the ministry said Moscow hoped the decision to send to Ukraine a monitoring mission of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe would help resolve what it called an "internal Ukrainian crisis".

On Friday, after several failed attempts in recent weeks, Russia agreed to join the 56 other members of the OSCE in a consensus decision to send a six-month monitoring mission to Ukraine.

"The mission's mandate reflects the new political and legal realities and does not apply to Crimea and Sevastopol, which became a part of Russia," Russian Foreign Ministry said in its statement on Saturday.

"Russia hopes that the objective and impartial work of the international observers will help to overcome the internal Ukrainian crisis, stop rampant nationalist banditry, eradicate ultra-radical tendencies."

Source
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-03-24 06:33:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Russia has sent letters to Poland, Romania and Hungary to split all remaining Ukraine regions(save for the central Kiev one)with other referendums like the one in Crimea. They say they want to revert the area to the way it was before the creation of Ukraine.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-03-24 06:54:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Aselin said: »

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-03-24 09:26:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Ukraine has sorta been attacked, under agreement, isn't NATO sorta obligated to respond?

Ukraine isn't a member of NATO, so no.List of countries that are members of NATO

I'm pretty sure ukraine gave up its nukes for some kind of protection, or assurance of protection. Kind of like a 'you're not technically a member but we got your back' agreement.

The Budapest Memorandum was negotiated as a political agreement. It refers to assurances, not defined, but less than a military guarantee of intervention. According to Stephen MacFarlane, a professor of international relations "It gives signatories justification if they take action, but it does not force anyone to act in Ukraine."

Sucks to be Ukraine I guess. Clinton gives you a nod back in the 90s and Obama gives you the finger today...
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-03-24 12:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sucks to be Ukraine I guess

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-24 12:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I'm pretty sure ukraine gave up its nukes for some kind of protection, or assurance of protection. Kind of like a 'you're not technically a member but we got your back' agreement.

The Budapest Memorandum was negotiated as a political agreement. It refers to assurances, not defined, but less than a military guarantee of intervention. According to Stephen MacFarlane, a professor of international relations "It gives signatories justification if they take action, but it does not force anyone to act in Ukraine."

Sucks to be Ukraine I guess. Clinton gives you a nod back in the 90s and Obama gives you the finger today...

lawl, good on you for educating yourself on the situation a full month later, but you didn't need to post your findings, we all already knew that.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-03-24 12:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

/rustyshackleford

shuddap bill, you don't know what we're talking about.
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-03-24 12:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine (Reuters) - Russian troops used stun grenades to force their way into a Ukrainian marine base in Crimea early on Monday, overrunning one of the last symbols of resistance left after Moscow wrestled the peninsula away from Kiev, Ukrainian officials said.

The Russians fired weapons as they charged into the compound in the port city of Feodosia, and Ukrainian officers were taken away for questioning, a soldier inside and a Ukrainian military official told Reuters.

Ukrainian flags were taken down inside the base two days after Russian forces used similar tactics to take a Ukraine's Belbek airbase in Crimea.

Russia's seizure of Crimea after the ousting of Ukraine's pro-Russian president by mass protests in Kiev has triggered the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War.

The United States and the European Union have targeted some of Putin's closest long-time political and business allies with personal sanctions.

Russian forces had already captured part of the Feodosia base, used by the 1st Separate Marine Battalion, Ukraine's top military unit, earlier this month.

But Ukrainians had previously appeared to be in control of the armoury, the barracks and other facilities in the compound.

Ukrainian army officer, First Lieutenant Anatoly Mozgovoy, told Reuters by phone from inside the compound that the Russians had fired shots and the Ukrainian soldiers were unarmed. Asked if the base had been taken over, he said: "Yes".

"The invading troops were using stun grenades and also firing automatic weapons. The interior of the compound is full of Russian troops," said Vladislav Seleznyov, a Ukrainian military spokesman in Crimea.

Seleznyov said Russian forces were taking away all Ukrainian officers from the base to another location in the city for questioning.

Russian troops used armoured vehicles, automatic gunfire and stun grenades to take the Ukrainian Belbek airbase on Saturday. Ukrainian forces also abandoned a naval base after attacks by pro-Russian protesters, and had to surrender two flagship vessels to Russian forces over the recent days.

Moscow formally annexed Crimea on March 21, five days after the region overwhelmingly voted in a referendum to join Russia, in a move not recognised by Kiev and the West.

Source
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-03-24 13:12:29
Link | Quote | Reply

should totally beach some tankers in the strait and be like how you like that warm port now?? Too bad you cant get out.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2014-03-24 13:24:18
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-24 15:35:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As predicted, Russia has officially been kicked out of the G8. And as predicted, the Russian gov't laughs it off, while their economy continues to suffer huge losses.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-03-24 15:51:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
As predicted, Russia has officially been kicked out of the G8. And as predicted, the Russian gov't laughs it off, while their economy continues to suffer huge losses.
Where does it say that their economy is suffering huge losses?

I looked around and couldn't see anything about it.

Unless you mean that they lost 10% of their stock market value, from ~$1,450 USD to it's current price of ~$1,300. Which the US markets have suffered more than that on a bad day.

Edit: in a 2 week span.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-03-24 15:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Unless you mean that they lost 10% of their stock market value, from ~$1,450 USD to it's current price of ~$1,300. Which the US markets have suffered more than that on a bad day.

if the total value of their stock market is only $1300USD after a 10% loss, then yeah their economy is hurting real bad. Most of us should have more than that in their checking account.

Obviously you forgot to present a value modifier such as 1,300M/B/T/Q/C .
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-24 15:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Just because you choose to shrug off billions of dollars in losses, their growth projection being lowered to zero for the year, and the ruble sinking to all time lows doesn't make it not a big deal.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-03-24 16:05:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

if the total value of their stock market is only $1300USD after a 10% loss, then yeah their economy is hurting real bad. Most of us should have more than that in their checking account.

Obviously you forgot to present a value modifier such as 1,300M/B/T/Q/C .
My apologies, I didn't do any research of the Moscow stock market when I posted that. I just did a glance over the last 2 weeks changes of the stock market and saw only a $150 change.

I should have known better.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Just because you choose to shrug off billions of dollars in losses, their growth projection being lowered to zero for the year, and the ruble sinking to all time lows doesn't make it not a big deal.
I'm just asking where you are getting your information of these economic losses. I didn't see any major news stories and am interested about it.

Don't assume that everything I post is an attack on you. You would see that I asked a question, not made a statement about you or directed at you except as a query.
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21