[PC] To the Moon
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-16 15:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

While I agree it could have been a VN(though it doesn't bother me that it's a 2d experience), and that some parts of the plot aren't told very well
I liked the romance anyway.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-12-16 15:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-16 15:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
While I agree it could have been a VN(though it doesn't bother me that it's a 2d experience), and that some parts of the plot aren't told very well
I liked the romance anyway.

this, and...
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-16 15:54:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I think the biggest problem here is that you may have missed the point of the story by pulling it apart sentence by sentence as you went through.
I have a degree in literary analysis and criticism, so... that's kinda what I do. If you have any friends with a degree in English, art history, film history, or a related field, ask them if it is possible to enjoy a work of art without analysing it. Not only is it practically impossible, but it's really not fun to shut one's brain off and be tugged along by the endocrine system.

I'll admit my response is considerably different from someone who just reads the words or watches the pictures.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-16 15:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Um who are you explaining River's behaviour to in that first part of your post? I don't think anyone was contesting it..?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-16 15:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-16 16:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I'll admit my response is considerably different from someone who just reads the words or watches the pictures.
I don't think that's the issue, but it's just that you didn't like any of the characters. In the end if you don't get attached or interested in any of the characters of a story you'll never enjoy it.

Personally I've went through watching some terrible anime just cause I liked a single character and see what they did..but anyway.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-16 16:13:34
Link | Quote | Reply

In the end if you don't get attached or interested in any of the characters of a story you'll never enjoy it.
Which is precisely the failure on the author's part that I am criticizing... I guess it's nice if saccharine mush is all it takes, but if you asked me to describe Johnny's personality, what could I say? He's kind in a vague way, he doesn't like being conventional, and... uh... he really likes River. That's more compelling than Hamlet, right?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-16 16:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
That's more compelling than Hamlet, right?
I haven't made comparisons to anything, nor have I said it's the ultimate masterpiece of modern literature. No need to act like that.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-16 16:35:04
Link | Quote | Reply

The song that plays toward the end of the story helps to explain River's condition and all that, too.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-16 16:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Incidentally, I'm a post-modernist, which means I tend to view a work through the eyes of authorial intent (and concealed intent). A modernist, which I think describes your critical styles, tends to view a work isolated by itself. I've been interested in what could be called post-post-modernist analysis (funny how bad we are at coming up with names), which looks at how the audience reacts to a work. This has been an interesting discussion as a consequence.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-16 16:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

By the by, I mostly focused on what bugged me about the game because you guys covered most of the positive points. I think that may be getting lost somewhere. Criticism is not evil, much though that's how people react to it automatically.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-16 17:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

interesting discussion indeed. you're the first person I've managed to talk to that has had a largely negative opinion on the story, so it's been a different perspective to take in. hopefully the next freebird game suits you better, if you decide to try it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-12-16 17:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Granted I don't believe the author to be some kind of ultimate genius, he probably just happened to describe someone he knows. Also keep in mind this is his first story, a newbie author is bound to make mistakes in his story-telling - not justifying, just saying you should expect it.
Anyway I'm not trying to make you like the story obviously.

edit:
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2013-12-16 21:56:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Granted I don't believe the author to be some kind of ultimate genius, he probably just happened to describe someone he knows. Also keep in mind this is his first story, a newbie author is bound to make mistakes in his story-telling - not justifying, just saying you should expect it.
Expect it, yes. But I come from the school of thought that says things only get better when examined. I suppose I could be really arrogant and e-mail him my criticisms... but that seems way outside the realms of appropriate behavior.

[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-12-19 19:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

$2.49 in the Amazon sale going on right now; no Steam required.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTGP1OY/ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=childsplaycha-20
 Diabolos.Neclord
Server: Diabolos
user: Neclord
By Diabolos.Neclord 2013-12-20 13:04:44
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

I thought of this when I saw the title and from reading what its about kinda fits, and maybe be part of its conception. :)
[+]
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2013-12-20 13:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I gifted this game to Meshi...

"this game gave me all the feels"
VIP
By Kalila 2014-01-02 09:30:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Indie Game "To the Moon" Gets Special Holiday Mini-Episode
Free content available to download for free via website and Steam update
Joseph LusterJanuary 01, 2014 4:01pm CST

Anyone who's had a chance to download and play Kan Gao's indie game To the Moon can now devour a new treat in the form of a Holiday Special mini-episode. The downloadable addition is available via the Freebird Games website and as a patch for the Steam version.

According to Gao, the minisode featuring Dr. Watts and Dr. Rosalene takes about 20 minutes to complete. Don't expect too much drama, but fans of the game should enjoy the lighthearted side story.

As for Gao's next game, A Bird Story, its oft-delayed release date is still to be decided.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-01-07 13:18:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently part of humble bundle 10

Free copy, first come first serve:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=2rspdtnMVtbw4ZPN
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2014-01-07 14:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

got <3 playing this tonight! :D
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [154 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Weissberv
Server: Cerberus
user: Weissberv
By Cerberus.Weissberv 2014-06-10 08:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Necrobump! Just wanted to say thanks to all on this topic. I recently bought this in a pack and probably wouldn't have played it without reading this thread a few months ago.

I'm not one to say something like this but I definitely got "dem feelz" from this.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [190 days between previous and next post]
Server: Balmung
Game: FFXIV
user: zoris
By Zoris Solarus 2014-12-17 07:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I know I am quite late to the party (seeing as how the topic and game are well over a year old), but would still like to say that this is still a good game with a thoroughly enjoyable story. Definitely not perfect, but certainly worth recommending to just about anyone.