New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » [PC] To the Moon
[PC] To the Moon
First Page 2 3
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-28 01:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried my best not to cry playing this, reading that it's impossible not to tear up after playing this, I failed and I'm so glad that I did.

Trailer
YouTube Video Placeholder

Soundtrack (love it <3)
YouTube Video Placeholder

Overview

Type or genre(s): RPG, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Tragicomedy, Psychological
Platform: Windows (PC)
Length: ~4.5 hours
File size: ~70mb

“How do I explain why it’s brilliant without spoiling what makes it so?”
- Eurogamer 9/10

“To the Moon is a game you must play.”
- GameSpot 8/10

“It’s simple, poignant, and full of heart.”
- PC World (GamePro) 10/10

Seriously, if you're in the mood for a great story, try this out. It only lasts about 4-5 hours, but it's well worth it. I'm so glad that I did, and I can't wait for their next big game to come out.

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/206440/

A random Steam review of the game:
[+]
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXIV
By Dalmonn Highwind 2013-11-28 01:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Got this game in the last Steam Summer Sale, well worth the buy.
[+]
 Bahamut.Keinn
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Keinn 2013-11-28 02:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Moving story for sure
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-11-28 02:49:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll get this on your recommendation, Kalila.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-28 03:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Played this at seha's recommendation a while back, it's the only game that's ever really hit me emotionally. Probably for certain reasons

Short steps, deep breaths
[+]
 Bismarck.Osaia
Server: Bismarck
user: Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2013-11-28 03:41:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved it. Was so sad.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-28 03:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/8236/video-game-music-you-cant-get-sick-of-one-per-post/60#2489294

Posted my favorite tracks there. I wouldn't recommend listening if you plan on playing. The game uses music to great effect to strengthen critical moments, so listening beforehand can ruin it
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-11-28 08:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Like mentioned above I've played it unfortunately. I don't think this game was good for me.

Beautiful soundtrack also
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-28 14:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
I'll get this on your recommendation, Kalila.
I hope you enjoy it :)
Forum Moderator
By Vyrerus 2013-11-28 15:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Music's purty, but looks hmmm, sad and about love. Maybe I'll try it out when I'm home on Leave or somethin'
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-28 15:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's $2.99 on Steam due to Autumn Sale in case anyone didn't know
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-28 21:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

2.99, wow nice :o
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2013-11-28 21:12:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ha, was just thinking I'd buy it once it goes on sale again after seeing this thread... looks like I'm grabbing it now~
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-28 21:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
Ha, was just thinking I'd buy it once it goes on sale again after seeing this thread... looks like I'm grabbing it now~
Let me know what you think! :)
 Bismarck.Patrik
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2013-11-29 12:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow I ended up going through that from start to finish in one go... then I passed out >.>

I was really impressed. Great music, and a story that seemed cliche made really unique by the whole memory leap thing which went in a direction I did not at all expect. I really hope they add more stories to this like they hinted in the credits.
[+]
 Leviathan.Behemothx
Server: Leviathan
user: BehemothZ
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2013-11-29 16:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw this thread and grabbed that game on Steam, seems good so far. Only thing that annoys me is that it forces full screen in 640x480 for some reason and the lower 10% of the screen is missing >< Anyone have those issues?
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-29 16:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Patrik said: »
Wow I ended up going through that from start to finish in one go... then I passed out >.>

I was really impressed. Great music, and a story that seemed cliche made really unique by the whole memory leap thing which went in a direction I did not at all expect. I really hope they add more stories to this like they hinted in the credits.
Yea episode 2 should be out within the year I'd imagine, looking forward to it and I hope the quality stays the same or gets better!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-29 16:35:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Behemothx said: »
Saw this thread and grabbed that game on Steam, seems good so far. Only thing that annoys me is that it forces full screen in 640x480 for some reason and the lower 10% of the screen is missing >< Anyone have those issues?

the game is coded using an archaic engine, so you can't change the resolution. What I do, however, is I press Alt+Enter to force windows to make the game windowed instead of fullscreen and then press Windows Key + numpad plus key in order to zoom the screen 200%. The visual quality ends up being a bit better that way than playing the game in a stretched out, non optimal fullscreen resolution.
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2013-11-29 16:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

the game is coded using an archaic engine, so you can't change the resolution. What I do, however, is I press Alt+Enter to force windows to make the game windowed instead of fullscreen and then press Windows Key + numpad plus key in order to zoom the screen 200%. The visual quality ends up being a bit better that way than playing the game in a stretched out, non optimal fullscreen resolution.

Yeah, right after I made that post I browsed through the game's folder and saw that it was made in rpgmaker >< and yeah, alt enter doesn't fix anything since it will always start in full screen mode hence killing my two ffxi instances :P
 Leviathan.Behemothx
By Leviathan.Behemothx 2013-11-29 17:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Gah, even DXwnd can't seem to prevent it from loading full screen... I guess I'll just run it from vmware lol
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-29 17:04:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Yeah, right after I made that post I browsed through the game's folder and saw that it was made in rpgmaker >< and yeah, alt enter doesn't fix anything since it will always start in full screen mode hence killing my two ffxi instances :P
In Steam, try right clicking the game in your library, go to properties, set launch options, and type in -windowed (or maybe just -window), then see if that helps.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-29 17:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

doesn't support that unfortunately. :\ only way to window it is via ALT+Enter.
By Zyla 2013-11-29 17:29:16
Link | Quote | Reply

seems interesting but if it has a sad ending i'll more than likely pass on it... i adore love stories, but i can't do sad endings, i have to have my kiss scene and happily ever after. yes, yes, i know... i'm totally cliche...
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-29 17:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Zyla said: »
seems interesting but if it has a sad ending i'll more than likely pass on it... i adore love stories, but i can't do sad endings, i have to have my kiss scene and happily ever after. yes, yes, i know... i'm totally cliche...
It's sad happy tears!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-29 17:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bittersweet ending, but there's multiple facets to the bittersweetness. Can't explain without spoilers ermagerd so hard not to talk about it
By Zyla 2013-11-29 17:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm.. i may have to give it a shot, i dunno. is there any other console based rpg from either the ps1 or ps2 era that you maybe could compare the type of story/ending to? that would probably give me an idea as i've played most of those.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-11-29 17:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

It's more like a visual novel with fairly minimal interaction. Can't say I can compare it to anything...it's sad in many ways, but I considered it a good end.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-29 17:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Zyla said: »
Look, the sad part you know from the beginning, the happy comes from the ending. I thought it was very nicely done.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2013-11-29 17:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The only game parts really involve limited point-and-click adventure stuff and some very basic puzzles. It's as Seha said, a visual novel.

Ending can be considered good... but costly.
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-29 17:41:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The steam user review I gave at the very end of the original post describes the game very well, but kinda has too many details for me to not put it in a spoiler tag.
First Page 2 3