Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Elder Scrolls Online
Elder Scrolls Online
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2014-02-08 14:24:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll rephrase I guess

This game on Low looks amazingly horrible compared to Skyrim. You are completely wrong.
 Ragnarok.Afania
Server: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-08 14:24:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Everything that's come out recently is lacking on strategy and mystery and heavy on hack and slash. Is it too much to ask for a game with a little finesse?

TES game's been hack and slash forever though. I tried to convince a friend to play Skyrim and offered my copy, he quit after a few hr. His reason: "This game is boring as ***, just hack and slash, spam left mouse buttons, no strategy in combat."

So yeah, strategy and mystery in a game, especially a TES game, is too much to ask :p
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-08 14:28:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I see the game flopping similar to SWTOR. There's way too much outrage over preorder and CE bonuses, the game being "boring, average, nothing new, shouldn't have a sub" across the internet for it to really sail very far. I anticipate there will be a decently sized audience for a bit, then they'll go F2P and it'll have a short-lived resurgence until settling back into a relatively small fanbase. I doubt it'll outright die right out the gate like FFXIV 1.0 did, that's just an unfair comparison. FFXIV 1.0 was an unplayable mess of a game that may as well have been a paid pre-alpha, TSO has at least a bit more going for it. Like SWTOR.

Chest and loot respawns are completely *** ridiculous and shouldn't exist in the state they're currently in. Exploration and class system are the strongest parts of the game at the moment, imo. If you're not into either of those and are looking for a mindblowing new MMO experience, this isn't the place. Though honestly, we won't be seeing anything like that until ArcheAge reaches the west.

In terms of graphics, it's nothing mindblowing, but it's still really good by MMO standards. Textures aren't the absolute best, but this is a console game as well as a PC one. Even XIV's textures are horrifically bad. We should one day, hopefully, get some HD textures to help resolve that in both games. The sheer scope of the world and amount of different environments in it is what drives the graphical prowess of the game home, and fancy use of lighting, shadows, and reflections helps too. I'd say it looks better than an unmodded Skyrim without much question.

An Elder Scrolls game without mods is probably going to be a bad time. However, im riding on the fact that I get my money's worth out of it at least, even if only for the free 30 days (and I expect to, even if it's just going out and exploring most of the continent for the first time since Daggerfall), along with the statue + artbook. tbh i'd have paid at least $50 just for the book <_< but I'm a lunatic for high quality lore and art products.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-08 14:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Trede said: »
Yes it is lame that you cant play an Imperial unless you spend extra money. Get over it. other games do it too..

As for the low quality textures, you are a moron. the Low settings is better than the High on skyrim. Lag issues, it the BETA what do you expect, a perfect running game in beta?

Also if you think its generic then you on something...

I do play TESO and skyrim on different PC, so I can't compare the texture quality. But the entire world feels less detailed and streamlined than skyrim, although it's still done better than 90% of MMO on the market.

The lag/glitch is pretty bad, obviously they can get away with "it's beta". But I remember FFXIV 1.0 launched with tons of lag/glitch too, even though everyone complained about it in beta, so you never know....
 Odin.Hirokei
Server: Odin
user: Kaisuko
By Odin.Hirokei 2014-02-08 14:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it is lame that you cant play an Imperial unless you spend extra money. Get over it. other games do it too..

As for the low quality textures, you are a moron. the Low settings is better than the High on skyrim. Lag issues, it the BETA what do you expect, a perfect running game in beta?

I find that hard to believe considering I'm playing the beta on max setting and it looks mediocre. The environment as a whole looks bland and boring. Have yet to see anything that's awed me. I know ES is generally a darker game anyways, but it makes everything blend together and feel kinda dull. Maybe it's just not my taste.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-08 14:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Honestly, I see the game flopping similar to SWTOR. There's way too much outrage over preorder and CE bonuses, the game being "boring, average, nothing new, shouldn't have a sub" across the internet for it to really sail very far. I anticipate there will be a decently sized audience for a bit, then they'll go F2P and it'll have a short-lived resurgence until settling back into a relatively small fanbase. I doubt it'll outright die right out the gate like FFXIV 1.0 did, that's just an unfair comparison. FFXIV 1.0 was an unplayable mess of a game that may as well have been a paid pre-alpha, TSO has at least a bit more going for it. Like SWTOR.

Chest and loot respawns are completely *** ridiculous and shouldn't exist in the state they're currently in. Exploration and class system are the strongest parts of the game at the moment, imo. If you're not into either of those and are looking for a mindblowing new MMO experience, this isn't the place. Though honestly, we won't be seeing anything like that until ArcheAge reaches the west.

An Elder Scrolls game without mods is probably going to be a bad time. However, im riding on the fact that I get my money's worth out of it at least, even if only for the free 30 days (and I expect to, even if it's just going out and exploring most of the continent for the first time since Daggerfall), along with the statue + artbook. tbh i'd have paid at least $50 just for the book <_< but I'm a lunatic for high quality lore and art products.

SWTOR didn't "flop" though, it still had around 500k sub before F2P, which is A LOT for a MMO launched for 1.5 years.

SWTOR switch to F2P because F2P makes more money than 500k sub, F2P is just that good at generating profit. I see TESO getting around same lv of sub. Whether they're going F2P or not completely depending on whether they want to make more money or not. Games like ARR/FFXI can make a lot more money if it has a F2P model.

Also, besides IP, the main selling point of TESO and SWTOR is different. SWTOR's selling point is the story, which only requires 1 play through. If you're done, you're done. TESO's main selling point is large scale RVR, which has better longevity. Although games with PVP as selling point like DAoC or WAR often ended up having a niche market.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-08 14:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI would never make more money as a F2P game than as one that charges $13 a month. Its too old, its systems and gameplay too antiquated, to attract enough investors. F2P business models aren't a guaranteed increase in revenue.

SWTOR switched to F2P because they needed more people paying for their game. The budget for it was so astronomical, they didn't make back most of the cost before people started to jump ship in droves due to lack of content. They made it more profitable by keeping the subscription in along with a cash shop; F2P didn't infuse the playerbase with more population until later on due to the drama over restrictions for the F2P service.

TSO will likely be the same. The current trend is F2P cash shops with a "premium" subscription service for extra boosts and monthly point allotments. Only difference is, Zenimax has less money to make up for than Bioware.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-08 14:57:59
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI would never make more money as a F2P game than as one that charges $13 a month. Its too old, its systems and gameplay too antiquated, to attract enough investors. F2P business models aren't a guaranteed increase in revenue.

They can do similar model as EQ, players can choose F2P account or pay for sub. F2P account option would increase current player base, some people may just want to give the game a try if F2P option is available, and ended up upgrading their account or pay for more. F2P option also increase playerbase, so no more 500 player per server sort of ***, the game would be more fun and ppl are less likely to quit.

FFXI still has selling point, it's FF. Ppl would always want to go back and try older FF just because it's FF. But the lack of F2P option(on top of having to setup an account and ***) can stop them.

Honestly, I've started quite a lot of niche MMO such as EQ just because F2P option is available. I'm not a big fan of F2P/cash shop and such, and used to against FFXI to go F2P, but it's a really powerful model no matter how I'm against F2P in FFXI. Games like Warhammer could have still live if it has a proper F2P model.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-02-08 14:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I can see f2p working for 14, but not so much for 11. It's too old, they need the monthly revenue.
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-08 15:01:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I can see f2p working for 14, but not so much for 11. It's too old, they need the monthly revenue.

It worked for EQ just fine though. EQ is even older and it has similar game mechanics.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-02-08 15:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Feel free to prove me wrong I guess, you obviously know something I don't.
VIP
By Kalila 2014-02-08 15:12:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Omg, I can't believe I forgot the worst part of this whole mess... the stupid chest looting system.

Who the fk wants to stand TWELVE hours to get an item that only shows up on a timer, while hundreds of people are standing around wanting the same item that you want to progress.

So so so stupid
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-02-08 15:30:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I just played it for a few hours, unremarkable, not gonna be worth a sub fee. I actually think this game will see more success when it comes out on the PS4 in the summer time. There are better single player RPGs coming out this year regardless.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-02-09 07:15:51
Link | Quote | Reply

After a few more hours of dealing with glitches/lags/collision detection and server issue + mostly unpolished gameplay, I decided to stop for a while. I feel this game is really close to original FFXIV and in a much worse position than SWTOR/GW2. It has plenty of great ideas like FFXIV 1.0, but it can't get the fundamental working properly atm. Obviously it's just beta, but it's only less than 2 months away from launch, there won't be enough time to fix everything.

I really liked a lot of the game directions in TESO, class system is fun and it's been what I hope to play in a MMO forever. I like the way they deal with quests, much better than GW2/ARR 101 generic soul-less side quests. But compare with Skyrim/ARR/GW2/SWTOR, a lot of the game aspect just feel like an unfinished product lacking details. If this game is going to release in 2015, I'd be super hyped. But it's coming out soon, there won't be enough time to fix every fundamental issues. Not to mention potential issues at higher lv, such as longevity/class balance(it's going to be *** hard to balance class system like this).

I'm usually pretty good at tolerating graphical issues, Morrowind has 10x worse animation and collision detection than this, but it's still my fav single player RPG just because of the immersion. I'm certainly not kind of player that'd be super picky about details. Even then, I can see tons of players would be pretty pissed at many issues in this game.

Unless you're really into TES/open ended class system/RVR, my suggestion is don't pre-order and wait for a bit ._.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-25 01:46:52
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

They're fixing a lot of the things that were putting me off with these patches.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-02-25 01:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Are they allowing mods and waiving the sub fee?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-25 01:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, I'm taking ProJared's stance going into it though. Not treating it as a Skyrim with less freedom, but an MMO with more freedom. Helps that the RvR seems to be the best interpretation since DAoC
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-02-25 22:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an extra beta key (one starting on Friday) if anyone wants it. PM

[+]
By smalltown 2014-02-25 23:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Got an extra code. Good luck
T6XJPTFEEENMYH6WM44N
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-03-12 17:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

the HUEG LIEK XBAWKS balance and QoL patch is being implemented on this week's beta.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/57790/beta-session-0-18-patch-notes#latest

You'll also be able to try out Imperial.

I have an extra code if anyone wants it. PM me.

code gone
By Leoheart 2014-03-12 18:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

PM me too if you'd like a code~
By fonewear 2014-03-12 19:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I have an extra beta key (one starting on Friday) if anyone wants it. PM

I'm gone alright !
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-03-12 19:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Angry Joe seems like a Happy Joe when it comes to ESO.
 Fenrir.Sirlagieth
Server: Fenrir
user: Sirlag
By Fenrir.Sirlagieth 2014-03-12 19:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Would like a Beta code if anyone gets an extra and wouldn't mind PM'ing me it,thanks!
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-12 20:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Now that I have Titanfall I'm done with this game, they have made some improvements but I still don't see it being worth a sub fee especially since Wildstar is coming out at the beginning of June.
 Fenrir.Sirlagieth
Server: Fenrir
user: Sirlag
By Fenrir.Sirlagieth 2014-03-12 23:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

the HUEG LIEK XBAWKS balance and QoL patch is being implemented on this week's beta.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/57790/beta-session-0-18-patch-notes#latest

You'll also be able to try out Imperial.

I have an extra code if anyone wants it. PM me.

code gone

Don't need a code anymore thanks Prothescar!
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-03-13 01:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone know if they fixed archery and sneak sucking? PvE wise that is.

From what I played Archery had such a short range and all sneaking did was make you slow enough so some crazy man dual wielding axes could run from behind you and steal your target.

Wanna know this before I bother installing these huge patches.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-03-27 22:25:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Goes live this weekend, I give it 6 months before it flounders.
By Fyyvoaa 2014-04-03 16:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Release tomorrow, anyone else going to be playing (or already are...)

Granted it's not really 100% my cup of tea, i'm gonna probably do a 6 month run of it, see how it goes ... then decide if I want to keep going from there.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-03 16:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta wait for ps4, my PC is old like me.
[+]