Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 ... 188 189 190
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-19 10:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about this one:

Lunge/Swipe can crit?!?!?

Was doing some assaults to rank up to captain. For this one you have either kill all the Lamia, or get a crit hit to break their weapon.
As you can see it seems Swipe had a crit.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-19 10:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes they can.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-05-19 13:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I've never seen them do anything like a crit, but Aht Urhgan beastmen and acroliths can suffer the breaks if they get hit by offensive JA's (such as steps, flourishes, jumps, bashes) as well as regular crit hits and WS's.

That said, I've been increasingly convinced that Swipe/Lunge uses combat skill in the accuracy calculation, like how Quick Draw uses Marksmanship skill + magic acc. I find resists to be incredibly rare, though taking advantage of elemental weaknesses tends to do that. I've also noticed that Lunge is 3 separate hits that can all be absorbed by shadows. Gambit, however, ignores shadows.

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
/SAM = no real tanking expected, full damage and utility
It's worth nothing that against enemies with aoe regular attacks will only strip Third Eye if they are using their physical attack.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-19 14:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

they can crit like a normal spell. hard to notice it though since magic crits are so bad, they only add 10 MAB
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-19 14:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Love hitting magic crits on RUN.

It's been noted early on that Lunge's primary modifier was weapon skill level, followed by MAB and Macc.

each Rune Enchantment harbored is worth a single hit. Utsusemi and blink are good examples of expending runes to miss your hits, but you can use Lunge on a low HP target, and not every rune will be expended.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-19 16:19:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
You don't really wanna Last Resort while tanking. I can see drk being nice for zerg, but there really isn't anything akin to vw and adl anymore. It's hard to find a use for it.

I'd say sam, nin and blu are the only subs worth, with maybe whm if you're solo(but you can use Trusts in many places).

Quote:
/DRK = want full damage and utility but might need to tank

You don't need to keep LR up, for "tanking" it would be a 1300CE JA and that's it. And if your not "tanking" then it's a really nice damage boost that doesn't screw with your casting. It's really the halfway point between /BLU and /SAM. /SAM has superior all around DPS but lacks hate generation tools, /BLU has plenty of hate generation tools but you'll be casting so much that you won't do squat for DPS.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-19 16:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't plan on tanking then why bother mentioning together LR and the hate tools? If one excludes the other you should point that out else you'd confuse less informed players.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-19 16:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If you don't plan on tanking then why bother mentioning together LR and the hate tools? If one excludes the other you should point that out else you'd confuse less informed players.

I'll say it again

Quote:
/DRK = want full damage and utility but might need to tank

Skirmish III comes to mind but otherwise it's just another option. I'm usually /SAM for most things but have tried /DRK and can see the use of it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-19 17:03:55
Link | Quote | Reply

problem is that, if you're encountering one of these situations, RUN's natural hate generating abilities and spells should be sufficient while still getting more damage out of /SAM, all while not sacrificing survivability for damage output.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2014-05-20 00:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Question about mantles, looking for feedbacks.
I currently do not own a Mollusca Mantle (which is easily solved by getting one from AH, but that's not the point!).
Atm I have 3 main sets for tanking. An Hybrid one (easy stuff, retains some acc and whatnot), a PDT focused one, an MDT/meva/mdb focused one. (can cap mdt with way less, but I'm considering situations for when Shell gets dispelled etc).
For these 3 sets I use respectively: Evasionist's, Iximulew and Mubvumvamiri.
I have a separate toggle to activate Repulse Mantle when needed, regardless of the currently equipped set.

Mollusca wouldn't allow me to save inventory space because for one reason or another I'm still gonna need those 3 mantles (Ixi for other jobs, Evasionist's for Acc/Mab, Mubv for Meva and enmity) but it would grant me 1-2 more PDT.
Given that my PDT set is not at 50% before Aettir (no Defending yet, it's gonna drop one day!) that would be a small but welcome increase.

I'm... I don't know, what am I even asking here? I'm not sure. Maybe looking for comments and opinions. Should I bother with Mollusca or not?
I know this sounds very stupid, but I'm still looking for additional input to clear up my mind!
By Zaeeth 2014-05-20 15:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the Mollusca. I don't really care for the repulse mantle, the lesser knock back hasn't seemed all that great. I use evasionist for kiting. The other two capes are so specific (earth dmg and -4) and (mdt -6) that I don't find them appealing. Mollusca is between the two and works wonderfully for me. With three runes up, even with other buffs stripped, I honestly don't take mega-amounts of magic damage so Mubv is kinda meh.

I personally endorse just using Mollusca. If you like to optimize to the nth degree stick with the multitude of capes. I'd toss Mubv and Ix for the inventory +2, but that's me.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-05-20 17:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

The good part about muv is not just the MDT-6 (which basically is gonna be good only if for some reason your shell gets dispelled) but for the Magic Evasion (which works even when you're MDT capped) and for the Enmity+6 which is useful in some macros.

I totally agree they're very specific while Mollusca is more generic, more solid and it's DT isntead of PDT or MDT.

As I said I cannot toss any fo those mantle because I have multiple use for them on multiple jobs (Iximulew is used for several PDT sets on my jobs, and for Chakra on MNK for instance, Mub has uses beyond MDT thanks to MagicEva and the +enmity).
I mean, I certainly wouldn't be HUNTING for a Muv if I didn't have one already, but since it dropped to my inv...
 Bismarck.Ranthozyk
user: Ranthozyk
By Bismarck.Ranthozyk 2014-05-20 18:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd pick up the Mollusca Mantle for sure if your PDT isn't capped, like you said. Adding more PDT is almost always going to be beneficial if you're tanking (especially since it is an accessory slot). You could always try shouting and making a party for the voidwatch fight advertising the mantle as a drop. If you don't get it, the AH is flooded with mantles; if you do, then your problem is solved.
 Asura.Echandra
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2014-05-20 19:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Sechs, another reason to get a mollusca that gets overlooked...if you are fighting any kind of mob that charms. The weigh down effect gives people time to run. inv+1 go!
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-05-20 20:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sechs, get a Mollusca you gimp galka!

On a side note: I'll leave this here, its my RUN Gearswap I made using Motes layout since he doesn't currently have one at the moment. So feel free to use if anyone wants to!
http://pastebin.com/PaDxPYDE
By Jadey 2014-05-20 20:06:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I really like keeping Repulse on full-time in zones like Marjami to eliminate the annoying knockback effects. This is my current 55% PDT set for RUN/NIN tanking in Marjami:

ItemSet 323918

Qaaxo legs/feet are R15 path B. With this set honestly RUN/anything will probably tank it. I've done /NIN /BLU /WAR and /SAM and they all work. Sometimes you want to be the cheapest miser possible and want to spend nothing on Shihei!

And for general RUN/SAM DDing in zones like Yorcia or Foret when you have full buffs and accuracy isn't an issue:

ItemSet 323919

Once again, Qaaxo gear is all R15 path B. This gives you a 6-hit with plenty of multiattack. On fodder (and if you want to drop the airlixirs) Qaaxo rank 15 A is probably superior.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-05-21 01:30:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah guess I'll buy a Mollusca and get the Inv +1, use it as default mantle at least for my PDT set, maybe for my hybrid as well.
(for Repulse I have a separate toggle that overrides whichever the current set would normally equip, so it's not a big deal).

Thank you guys for helping me make up my mind! :D

@Jadey
Need to work my Qaaxo as well. I already have legs (been having for ages) but haven't augmented yet.
I think I'm gonna do path C though, PDT+5 is just too nice, especially as long as I can't cap PDT (and atm I can't, since no Dring).
Similarly for Qaaxo feet (which I do not own yet), I'd totally go path C for Lunge/Swipe and for WS. Already have a nice pair of Iuitl+1 with DA and PDT/MDT-4.
Likewise for hands I'd go for path A and use it on multiple jobs for TP.
Yes I know you can get multiple of them with different augments but with the amount of stuff I have to spend gil on f*ck getting multiple delve gear.
 Bismarck.Zuidar
user: Radiuz
By Bismarck.Zuidar 2014-05-21 01:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Any thoughts regarding Shadow Mantle?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-05-22 04:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Learning BLU spells makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Whoever thought that would have been a fun part of a videogame needs to DIAF, srsly >.>
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-23 15:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melbufrauma said: »

On a side note: I'll leave this here, its my RUN Gearswap I made using Motes layout since he doesn't currently have one at the moment. So feel free to use if anyone wants to!

your lunge set has a strendu ring which RUN can not equip. Also, you have a waltz set that looks like its catering a PLD i.e Yaoyotl Helm etc. Also I believe Motenten was saying that for JAs like Pflug, Battuta,Liement,Vallation/Valiance,Lunge,Swipe, and Gambit the naming convention is :

sets.phase.spelltype.spellname = sets.precast.Ward.Pflug as an example.

Though he also mentioned that he was going to modify the Includes to allow for it to just be straight sets.precast.JA['Pflug'].

edit: but all that being said I'm totally going to work with it.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-05-23 17:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Asura.Melbufrauma said: »

your lunge set has a strendu ring which RUN can not equip. Also, you have a waltz set that looks like its catering a PLD i.e Yaoyotl Helm etc. Also I believe Motenten was saying that for JAs like Pflug, Battuta,Liement,Vallation/Valiance,Lunge,Swipe, and Gambit the naming convention is :

sets.phase.spelltype.spellname = sets.precast.Ward.Pflug as an example.

Though he also mentioned that he was going to modify the Includes to allow for it to just be straight sets.precast.JA['Pflug'].

edit: but all that being said I'm totally going to work with it.

The waltz set is from Motes SAM layout as I said he didnt have one and I just used one of his as a template, so thats why there might be some gear in some places that RUN cant use. I never, ever /DNC so just skipped right over it and ignored it lol
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-23 19:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I made one based off the one you posted but cut out all the non Rune Fencer references. I just copy and pasted the format that was present/Motenten uses, and inserted the specific gear I use. Haven't had a chance to test it. But it's pretty much the same as the one you posted just without the aforementioned and slightly different gear, a Divine Magic midcast call for our one spell, and I switched the buffactive for Reive and item since I derpped and had to pick Ygnas's Resolve.

edit: Finished debugging it, its good to go:
http://pastebin.com/yQi1xWBB
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2014-05-24 08:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
only spells you really need for /BLU are:

Cocoon
Jettatura
Blank Gaze
Geist Wall
Sheep Song
Cursed Sphere
Sound Blast
Uppercut
Battle Dance
Grand Slam
Terror Touch
Wild Carrot
Pollen

cocoon, hate spells, magic attack bonus, attack bonus, defense bonus, and uh... resist sleep because there's really nothing else to put on there.
Got all of these and I also happened to get

You mentioned hate spells, but which exactely of your list are the spells used in rotations to generate enmity?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-24 08:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You mentioned hate spells, but which exactely of your list are the spells used in rotations to generate enmity?

Jettatura, Black gaze and Geist Wall.

http://kanican.livejournal.com/20380.html

Jettatura is just like Flash / Foil / Stun in that it's high VE with solid CE. Black Gaze and Wall are both high CE spells at 320/320. BG is notable because it's easy to get it's recast under 3s which is the global lockout duration, you can keep casting it indefinitely. Work some +enmity into your gear sets and you can rapidly build hate.

My general spell rotation is Flash -> Foil -> Jett -> BG spam. I will sprinkle JA's in as necessary but I try to synch stuff like Gambit / Rayke with whatever the party needs done.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2014-05-29 03:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
only spells you really need for /BLU are:

Cocoon
Jettatura
Blank Gaze
Geist Wall
Sheep Song
Cursed Sphere
Sound Blast
Uppercut
Battle Dance
Grand Slam
Terror Touch
Wild Carrot
Pollen

cocoon, hate spells, magic attack bonus, attack bonus, defense bonus, and uh... resist sleep because there's really nothing else to put on there.
Got all of these and I also happened to get

@ Prothescar - Rather than just slapping on Wild Carrot and Pollen, why not use Healing Breeze instead? That + Sheep Song will give you a 3 HP/tic regen trait. With Paguroidea Ring it's 5 hp/tic regen.

I know it doesn't seem like much but hey, it's better than putting on a Resist Sleep trait.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-05-29 03:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

because BLU traits don't stack with naturally gained ones and only take precedence over them if they're stronger, which Auto Regen from BLU sub isn't. It's 1/tic while RUN's natural auto regen is 3.
 Shiva.Siviard
Server: Shiva
user: Siviard
By Shiva.Siviard 2014-05-29 11:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

because BLU traits don't stack with naturally gained ones and only take precedence over them if they're stronger, which Auto Regen from BLU sub isn't. It's 1/tic while RUN's natural auto regen is 3.

Well ***, then! Was not aware of that. Guess I can dump Healing Breeze in favor of.....Refueling? Yeah, I like that idea better. Haste.....
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-06-02 15:45:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anybody have experience/suggestions on RUN being the second tank in a Divine Might v2 run? Our smallish group of LS friends is going to start doing some regular ~8-10man Normal runs for gear farming. We have one very good PLD tank to hold the AAs, but I'm probably our next best tanking option as RUN (it's between that or a significantly less well geared PLD - no Aegis/Ochain, minimal 119 AF/relic, etc.)

Ally setup would be something along the lines of:
Party 1: RUN WHM BRD RNG RNG ??? (6th maybe a DRG, COR, THF)
Party 2: PLD GEO BRD (non-RME) WHM (2box really there more for emergencies)

I was thinking RUN/NIN, but I do have /BLU available too. My current tanking gear, PDT-54% (Qaaxo are R15 path B):
ItemSet 324368
Anything look like a bad call? e.g. swap ammo for Honed or something, earrings could do more DD focus with Bladeborn/Steelflash, grip (also have Bloodrain, Tzacab, Pole).

Tips on specific AAs? Basically I was thinking of fighting in order of:
- EV (any tips on dealing with her?)
- GK (fairly straightforward blink tanking)
- MR (Tenebrae x3 to block charm, Tellus x3 during Cloudsplitter time)
- HM (Unda x3 for Mijin, Valiance/OFA to try to save my party mates)
- TT (save for last, go kill it. Will pop both 1hr SP for Manafont if we don't end up using a THF to Larceny). I've seen some people prefer to kill TT first and open up the "arena" to fight the other AAs with more room - any suggestions there?

Thanks to anyone who has advice!
 Ragnarok.Presidentmerman
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Presidentmerman 2014-06-02 16:50:42
Link | Quote | Reply

If youre doing N then it shouldnt be an issue, ive done all on N and a few on D VD. Only have used /BLU on EV rest i do on /NIN
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Server: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2014-06-02 20:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

A few notes:
TT - Flabra + barspells can mitigate the petrify from Amon Drive consistently. Might as well save Battuta for when he uses Blood Weapon/Soul Enslavement, though with his slow attack speed it's not a big deal.
MR - I've never been able to resist charm, even with Tenebrae and Pflug, but that could just be bad luck. Another option is to use Ignis to resist the paralyze the tiger occasionally throws out. Battuta anytime, though it is nice to have if someone else gets charmed.
GK - I suppose Ignis or Gelus to resist para/silence should he land one of his WS's on you. Remember that he has Zanshin, so many of his WS's will strip two shadows. If you're getting haste and marches, you should be fine to just put more up when you've only got one left. Battuta anytime.
HM - Mijin is a non-elemental breath attack, so Unda won't help (but both 1hrs and OFA will). Above 25%, I like to use Flabra to resist the slow from Cross Reaver, which can overwrite Haste if it lands. Below, you may want to use Tenebrae to resist the damage if he manages a Light skillchain. If you find that he's WSing too frequently and worried that a Light might put his damage over the edge to kill you, tell your DD's to wait a moment after a CDC before feeding him more TP, which can cause him to miss his skillchain window. Try to save Battuta for Brazen Rushes.
EV - Her WS's and constant bashing make her the most annoying. Tenebrae would seem the most logical rune since it covers her spells (should they land on you), and I think (but am not certain) that it helps against Arrogance Incarnate if Valiance/Vallation/Liement is used. You could alternatively try using Lux in hopes of resisting the dispel (probably won't work), or Telllus to resist the stun from bash (also improbable). Battuta anytime, but you'll be sad when she dispels it.

Lastly, if you are having MP problems, you might just wanna stick to Tenebrae for pulse.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 51 52 53 ... 188 189 190