So, Some Questions From A Returning Player...?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » So, some questions from a returning player...?
So, some questions from a returning player...?
By Hitetsu 2012-06-20 03:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

MinatoArisato said: »
Guess I can throw a post up here too since I'm thinking of trying this game out again after I quit about a year ago. I have some jobs leveled, and some gil under my belt from when I last played. H2H 20, Sword50, Axe20, Archer30, Polearm21, Thau25, Conjury20. Would it be worth coming back and giving the game a test drive again?

I'd highly recommend giving it another go. I quit just after they implemented v1.19 because it was virtually impossible to level after they'd changed some stuff around. Now though, parties are reasonably plentiful, playtime depending at least and if you can't get a PT but want to exp, there's also (as has been mentioned) 99 leves waiting for you.

Money is reasonably easy to come by still, especially if you've got a small startup fund and some time. Buying high level gear (41+ only) that you can wear and then Spiritbonding it and breaking it into Materia can be very profitable given a couple of days to sell.

EDIT: Also, I'd look up the Inn quest for whatever city you're in. Resting at an Inn gives an EXP Bonus based on how long you've been in (from what I can guesstimate, I'd say about 1,000 exp/hr) that can be used on any job that can accumulate EXP (Lv.50's won't use the bonus that you've accumulaterd but not "spent")
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-06-21 23:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Two last questions as I took the plunge and reactivated (and will get to play in like 6 days after the patches download):

1) Did they ever do anything with targeting, both for enemies and people in your pt? f8? <stpc> <stal>? etc etc. I don't remember much about battle but I do remember people died all the time because I couldn't target them fast enough just cycling through.

2) Is the billing still crysta or click and buy? No way to just give them a CC and have them bill me monthly? Or is there?
By Hitetsu 2012-06-22 03:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

You can use the F# keys to target players in your PT. F1 is you, F2-8 are the remaining members. I'm not sure about <stpt>, I never used it on XI, so I never had any reason to on here.

Billing can be done via CC, that's how mine's set up anyway. They'll be removing the 90-day option soon (and with it, their legacy plan I believe), so you'll only be left with a 30-day option.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-22 05:24:39
Link | Quote | Reply

what are the macro commands for like switching gear? I want to make some for switching to my different classes (and looking to the future I guess gear that can be used in different situations!)

I saw someone in a video I was watching do it but I dunno if they differ from XI or not (and I'd have to look those up again anyway I've forgotten them lol)
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-22 08:18:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Barber said: »
2) Is the billing still crysta or click and buy? No way to just give them a CC and have them bill me monthly? Or is there?
When I reactivated I was able to just select a recurring payment using my CC, I can't remember the steps but the option should be there.

Catnipthief Rygar said: »
what are the macro commands for like switching gear? I want to make some for switching to my different classes (and looking to the future I guess gear that can be used in different situations!)

I saw someone in a video I was watching do it but I dunno if they differ from XI or not (and I'd have to look those up again anyway I've forgotten them lol)
/equip slotname "Item Name" for example /equip Body "Rainmaker's Tunic (blue)"

As it is to swap gear during combat your weapon needs to be away and your weapon can not be swapped while in combat.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-22 10:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Siren.Barber said: »
When I reactivated I was able to just select a recurring payment using my CC, I can't remember the steps but the option should be there.

Catnipthief Rygar said: »

/equip slotname "Item Name" for example /equip Body "Rainmaker's Tunic (blue)"

As it is to swap gear during combat your weapon needs to be away and your weapon can not be swapped while in combat.

Yeah I got that, it'll have to be something to get used to for sure but I mean that takes all of a few seconds to do so if you really need to I guess it's possible (like I guess in those bigger battlefields they have)

I'll have to try this, I just want to make some macros for switching to my different classes.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-22 11:33:46
Link | Quote | Reply

In the Lv50 instances (Cutter's Cry, Aurum Vale, Ifrit, Garuda, Caustrum Novum [I know I spelled that wrong, but anyone who's done it knows what I mean :D]), DPS is a big thing, so every few seconds you can save from swapping gear is a huge advantage.

For example, in Cutter's Cry and Aurum Vale you get up to 5 chests drop at the end (I could be wrong and it could be 6 chests). I believe one of them will only drop if you complete the entire run (start > boss kill) in under 17 minutes. If you take 17:01, you lose. Either that, or you only get some item or something if you do it in under 17min.

Anyway, my point was that those few seconds really do make a huge difference in the performance of your group, in comparison to XI.

Even just a few second can drop your DPS drastically, as a BLM. If I died, got a Raise immediately and started nuking right off the bat (maybe 5-7 second downtime total), my DPS can drop by 2~3 easily (especially factoring in resists).

On average, I get something like 11~12 DPS (highest 14) on Aurum Vale boss (been a while since I've done CC, but that was about the same). I died on a boss twice back to back, I was out for about 20 seconds while I was trying to get a raise, my DPS had nosedived to 6.5 - I attribute that low DPS partially to it being one of my first Endgame events, I hadn't quite gotten my rotation up to scratch, my gear was less than stellar (still is, but eh..!), no food, etc.

Other BLM's in my LS can score 15-16+ easily, with averages being 13-14+, just a matter of gear and practice.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2012-06-26 00:46:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I'll toss out a query as well:

Last time I played, there was talk of removing the Nugget recipes (or phasing them out, at least). I've got about 1200 Silver Nuggets and a slew of other gathered items filling my inventory. Do these still have their uses, or have they become NPC trash?

Post deleted by User.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-26 01:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure about exp camps as such, I solo'd most of my exp until around 39'ish (in fact, I think I got 1 PT). When I came back (at 39), I was doing the higher level raptors (43-48'ish) and Natalan Ixali's/Wolves (52~53+).
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-26 02:39:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nanawa mines might be good for you from 20-28. The mobs there are 28-30 if I remember right so it will slow down some towards the end but will still be viable if you find a good camp for chaining though you might be beter off with out a full party to keep exp/kill up. After that around Nophica's wells I think has a few camps and 33+ the lower level raptors around Camp Iorn Lake. 40+ I normally just see Natalan shouts but could also do the higher level raptors for the early 40s.

The best way to form a party is shouting in Ul'dah since the search function is just plain weird. Within 5 levels of eachother IE 33-38 is the standard from what I have noticed untill 40+ where I notice alot will just bite the level difference and go 40-50 or 42-50 since a higher level tank can deal with the Natalan mobs fairly easy, more so if it's a war with Steel Cyclone.

Ramuh.Tousou said: »
I think I'll toss out a query as well:

Last time I played, there was talk of removing the Nugget recipes (or phasing them out, at least). I've got about 1200 Silver Nuggets and a slew of other gathered items filling my inventory. Do these still have their uses, or have they become NPC trash?
The dated items are on their way out but as far as I know they can still be made if you want to use them for leveling up. Be warned though that they normally take alot more shards/crystals then current recipies.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-26 03:18:37
Link | Quote | Reply

The level of the mobs? They streach from 40-48/9, can't remember for sure. Theres 6 or 7 camps that I can think of off the top of my mind with the mobs being within a couple levels of eachother at each one so some are good for the lower end and others for the higher end.

Post deleted by User.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-26 06:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXIV Maps has maps for pretty much everywhere I think. They're not quite perfect, but they cover most major landmarks.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-26 06:33:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Being able to handle mobs higher then you is gunna come down to your how your party is set up... IE for those 40ish raptors odds are you won't have your entire party at lv 33 and will have a few members closer to the level of them. THM rips through mobs pritty good as well so having one or 2 of them helps out though its not neccissary. As long as most people have Second Wind, cure and bloodbath set you shouldn't have too many problems on the survivability side, keep in mind that some jobs may not be worth using for exp until having their second/third abilities.

As for dungions I don't think mobs count as links for exp purposes there so not sure they are worth it.

Post deleted by User.
By ZettaiRyouiki 2012-06-26 12:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Kaitaru89 said: »
So what's the party size in this game, 6 or 8? What I mean is how many ppl your running in these exp groups.

Parties cap at eight players.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-27 02:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally partys do want to fill up yes because then you get the "Full party" buff which gives +10% to hp, mp, acc, and magic acc. You get "Light party" buff at 4 members (or maybe 5, I could be wrong) which gives +5% to hp+mp.
 Siren.Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-06-29 02:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So I got back on tonight for the first time in a year.....couldn't figure out how to get my 99 leves. I did 8 and the guy said I was out. Seems like I remember there was a way to reset them? Is there a place to see my total?

Also, where did they move the repair npc to in uldah?
By Hitetsu 2012-06-29 02:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

You can only accept 8 levecs at a time, but you have 99 "tickets". Repair NPC is in the same place, outside the Quicksand near the chocobo stables.
By Enuyasha 2012-06-29 04:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

would anyone happen to know a good site for accurate and up to date macro terms and phrases? I just copypastad a set of macros from lodestone and,I honestly wasn't surprised, They didnt work :(

Want to basicly cure myself as a main target,use Sentinel|Rampart|Divine Veil|etc. on me then flash|provoke|on main target and any "nice to have" macros like combos together in one button (if possible).

By Hitetsu 2012-06-29 05:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

/recast "Action"
/ac "Action" Target
/equip Slot "Item"
/item "Item" Target
/echo Message

Think that covers pretty much all macro syntax aside from chat messages.

For example, if you wanted to Cure > Sentinel > Flash

/ac "Cure" <me> <wait 3> (I'm assuming it's <wait> in here, I've not used waits yet >_>;)
/ac "Sentinel" <wait 3>
/ac "Flash" <t>
By Enuyasha 2012-06-29 17:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Kin Zoku said: »
/recast "Action"
/ac "Action" Target
/equip Slot "Item"
/item "Item" Target
/echo Message

Think that covers pretty much all macro syntax aside from chat messages.

For example, if you wanted to Cure > Sentinel > Flash

/ac "Cure" <me> <wait 3> (I'm assuming it's <wait> in here, I've not used waits yet >_>;)
/ac "Sentinel" <wait 3>
/ac "Flash" <t>

By Hitetsu 2012-06-30 04:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

np :D

Also, I forgot /eaction "Action", though it really isn't needed now that actions and action positions are saved when you change classes/jobs.
 Siren.Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-07-01 12:31:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Just a note about leves while inactive. I reactivated and did, in fact, only have 8. I used them and waited 36 hours and it said I had 12 so I wasn't missing anything, they just didn't accumulate. Could have been because of the forced server change or just due to inactivity. So if anyone quit before they changed to 99 leves they will probably only be coming back to whatever they had when they left.

Also....getting 800-1100 exp without any resting bonus on DOH synths was amazing. And because you can choose when to use abilities now I was 100% on about 40 synths 10 levels above me. Sure beats grinding out those 90 exp synths because I couldn't handle something 8 levels higher than me in the old days.

I should have con and thm up to 30 here in a couple days. Are there any tips on finding a social linkshell other than shouting? It doesn't seem like many of the server forums on any of the sites I've seen are very active.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-07-01 14:20:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Best bet is probably just to ask around for a ls if you don't already know anyone. Some one I knew from XIAH hooked me up so your best bet is really just to make a couple friends and then see if they can hook you up.

Kinda one of the downsides of leves in the game, since you can solo to 50 fairly easy there is nothing forcing you to group up and meet people like XI did until you are looking at endgame type stuff. There seem to be alot of new/returning players atm though so try and seek them out since I've found the lv50 community tend to expect everyone to know how to do everything since new players have been on the rare side for a long time.

Post deleted by User.