So, Some Questions From A Returning Player...?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » So, some questions from a returning player...?
So, some questions from a returning player...?
First Page 2 3

| Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Enuyasha 2012-06-16 17:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I've found parties are amazingly fast EXP. But i've been told to not hope for alot of parties and just solo or do guild leves. Guild leves on that note, are awesome EXP if you are the person that initiates the leves. If you go 3+ stars on the guild leves you can get lots of EXP.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By AndiSorell 2012-06-16 18:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You and your four friends should be able to exp well together in a general exp group.
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-06-16 22:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just tack on here with a question or two since this is near the top instead of making a new post if that's alright.

I don't remember when I last played but it was right around the time they nerfed all the level 10 fishing holes, so quite a long time. My levels should be in my profile but if not I had DOH/DOL all in the 20's and had the two mage classes at 13 and 20. I'm looking at putting in some time into the game again because of the updates so far and mostly because 2.0 looks really cool. Now to my question(s):

What is the leveling pace compared to the days of release? I'm under the impression it has been sped up, is that for DOH/DOL too?

For WHM, BLM, or BRD what is the leveling process like solo? Is it even possible for a whm to level solo? I know a grand total of zero people playing this game and my playtime will vary from morning to afternoon to evening to late night depending on work.

Out of those 3 jobs are any shunned or am I free to pick my favorite?

Is BRD pure support in the ilk of ffxi or more like a corsair with a damage/support hybrid?

Is there still DOL fatigue?

I'm just looking to max a job and DOH/DOL for now and maybe snag some af. Nothing fancy like garuda weapons etc, just want to be ready for 2.0 and get my mind off calculus for a little bit everyday with some mindless leveling.
By Enuyasha 2012-06-16 22:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Barber said: »
Now to my question(s):

1) What is the leveling pace compared to the days of release? I'm under the impression it has been sped up, is that for DOH/DOL too?

2)For WHM, BLM, or BRD what is the leveling process like solo? Is it even possible for a whm to level solo? I know a grand total of zero people playing this game and my playtime will vary from morning to afternoon to evening to late night depending on work.

3)Out of those 3 jobs are any shunned or am I free to pick my favorite?

4)Is BRD pure support in the ilk of ffxi or more like a corsair with a damage/support hybrid?

1) Leveling speed is different for each job. In parties leveling goes REALLY fast though compared to soloing. specially if you get into a good one. I dont know if DoH/DoL can level like melee/mages. Not sure if most of their EXP comes from crafting or not.

2)BRD is basicly like ARC scept with magical songs as far as i can tell,so it should go the same as ARC soloing. CNJ and THM so far as i've observed solo similarly. Spam attack magics and in parties do the same with occasional buffs and cures thrown in.

3) I dont know of any classes/jobs being shunned except PLD atm. you can switch from ARC to BRD at will so if your going ARC to something you also will be going as BRD for support buffs and such.

4)I semi-answered that in 3*. you can switch from ARC to BRD.But while on BRD im sure it'll be mainly a buffing purpouse and the ARC side for the DDing

hope that helps, and if im wrong im sure someone will come in and quote/bold then correct :<
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By GraddHelian 2012-06-17 02:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin isnt as bad as it used too be, for single target fights it lets DD go all out alot sooner in the fight than a WAR can since the Steel Cyclone nerf hurt WARs enmity generation quite a bit.

A well geared WAR is still going to be a superior option to a Paladin, but your average 5/5 WAR vs an Average or well geared PLD, the Paladin is going to have a much easier time holding hate.

MNK is a strong power house DD, by a pretty ridiculous amount at that, only thing that hurts MNK though is lack strong spammable of AoE weaponskills in a very AoE intensive game.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-17 08:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a few questions as well, I just started back playing after a loooong hiatus and so much has changed, I am wondering if there is a consolidated place where I can get information pertaining to quests and gear and guides for everything, I am coming up on hitting 30 on my lancer and then I will be getting my PUG to 15 so I can do DRG...

I just want to make sure DRG is a good stable class to go into and not a derpy class.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-17 09:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

The recent updates to DRG make it a pretty powerful DD (or so I hear, I haven't levelled it yet personally - though it does seem a pretty powerful job in theory).

Wiki is a decent place for most Quests that I've found.

I use, Mozk Tabetai for Gear choices (it's pretty top, though it's lacking some nicer features [such as a 'XIAH style Power Search']).

XIV Maps can come in quite handy for journey planning. I recommend using it tandem with MoogleBox Mob Location Tool - It doesn't have every mob location on there, but I think it has 99% of the aggro'ing mobs.

MoogleBox also has a nifty Materia section and pretty decent Gear resources (though I haven't used the gear section much).

Finally, there's DotL.com for your all your DoL needs! Includes things like recommended Fishing baits, Grade's 1-5 spots for all types of DoL (Fishing, Fishing Schools, Spearfishing, etc - I've not done other DOL much, so I dunno what they're broken into). It also includes nifty guides to help you make the most of your time/resources!
[+]
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-17 09:46:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice thanks!

I knew about the first two (wiki and mozk) but those last few are really going to help me out with some of the stuff I get confused with... I pretty much left before anything was put in with the new updates (it was still using the old physical level and class level system lol)
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-17 10:05:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Enuyasha said: »
4)I semi-answered that in 3*. you can switch from ARC to BRD.But while on BRD im sure it'll be mainly a buffing purpouse and the ARC side for the DDing hope that helps, and if im wrong im sure someone will come in and quote/bold then correct :<
You only buff every 3 minutes so aside from that you are mainly going to be in a damaging roll with the odd back up cures. Rain of death (brd only) is also one of 2 AoEs we get so given the ammount of Aoe you do in the game you will normally have more damage available to you as brd then archer.

Edit: It's kinda along the same lines as dnc in XI... haste samba and waltzs (melee song + ballad on mages) are nice but you also have to do enough damage to justify you being there.
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-06-17 10:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

gonna leave this here to not start a new thread ..so they just announced they getting rid of the 90 day billing as someone that chose that option should i change it manually to 30 day before june 30 or it will be automatic ? and if i don't switch will my game be cut?

Post deleted by User.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-18 01:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get a good amount of the R/E (U/U) treasure from Toto, you're looking 1,000+ (whenever I solo'd it, I never got all the good treasure from the final boss and I was looking at 800+ with ease).

That said, you should have 3k from doing Company missions alone by the time you're able to get your chocobo~

Post deleted by User.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-18 02:34:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The 1k is from the quest itself (not including any items you get from Totorak that you can trade in afterwards).

You still have to do a selection of quests (I believe it's 2~3 in each nation), along with Imperial Devices and Into the Dark in the nation you want to finally join, so you can become enlisted into that company.

I believe you need to be past Recruit, though I forget if Recruit is the first official title within a company or not, I think it's Private Third Class - but I could be wrong. You can buy it as soon as you're officially enlisted in a company.

Post deleted by User.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-18 05:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so I get the grand company thing and i've been doing some of the quests (only like the first few, I'm on uhh... Imperial Devices (Limsa Lominsa) right now, just need to get another person to help me with it lol) uhhh... I had another question but now I can't remember it lol...

Oh yeah... the achievement system they put into the game... what's that all about? I looked through it and it looks mainly just like a bragging right thing (like some gear can be obtained from it) I haven't got all the categories unlocked yet but from the ones I do have and looked at it seems kinda neat.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-18 05:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the gear is pretty awesome, like the DOL/DOH stuff is pretty much impossible to beat I think.

The actual armour seems meh to me, but I'm not really all that well up enough on gear atm to know whether there's much better available - but based on the gear I have now, it seems pretty "meh".

Taking the "Paragon's Crown" for example. You get it for getting all DoW/DoM classes to 50. It has:

DEF: 67
STR, INT, DEX, VIT, MND, PIE +10
Not-Meldable, Not-Convertible

Currently, I have 2 headpieces for THM:
Felt Hat, INT+22 MAcc+6 (Thunder spells)
Felt Cavalier Hat, INT+3, MAB+6, MAcc+16 (Fire Spells/MAcc setup)

Regardless of which hat I need, the Paragons Crown seems unbelievably lackluster in comparison to both, for either situation.

Obviously that's just 1 piece and against 1 job (the only one I've levelled/geared atm >_>;), but the rest don't seem any better given the lack of melding capabilities.
By Fyyvoaa 2012-06-18 06:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

so basically it's just something to show off, it'll be fun to work on some of these things I'll just need to unlock the rest of the categories.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-18 07:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

They're probably decent DOH/DOL pieces (I've not really looked into gear for it), because they use Stats to help with (I assume) performance.

Other than that, I'd say yeah - They're pretty much for showing off~
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-18 08:03:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Since they lack gatherng/output/perception and craftsmanship/mag.craftsmanship/control they arn't worth using for either DoL or DoL unless you are doing lower level stuff I'd think. The only one that has any practical use use that I know of Paragons for lancer and archer since you can't meld their main stats into head peices and their af gives less. There are better options I think, especially if you can cap out your mods with out it, but for some people it will be easier to obtain given how quick you can level with friends.
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-06-18 08:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a few questions...How do you join Hamlet? and can you do it solo as long as other ppl join? like campaign? militia gear for BLM looks really good.. and on MNK STR boosts h2h attack and INT boosts h2h dmg ..whats the difference between the 2? i didnt notice INT had that effect on h2h and did STR+DEX instead should i leave it like that for accuracy or INT really has a huge impact in h2h dmg? if so ill reset stats after unlocking MNK
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-18 09:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hamlet is done in groups of 8, it won't let you enter with less... I still havn't done it so I can't give you the details beyond that sorry.
By Hitetsu 2012-06-18 10:16:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I've only done it once, so I can't give much more in terms of details either.

I did it as ALC, so I basically synthed a specific ingredient, handed it to a NPC then did a lap or two of the area I was in while some NPC's picked off mobs that aggro after you're done.

You can get/make very competitive gear (if not better) to match most of the worthwhile slots for BLM (Head, Robe, Pants). I use:

Wall-o'-Text! Spoilered for awesomeness
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-18 10:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

In terms of you mnk question from looking at the BG thread on stats STR should boost WS damage and auto attack and INT just auto attack as a base. I think there is a WS that gets a bonus from INT though and idk how the elemental fist abilities function to say for sure how important it is for you to respec your points.
By MinatoArisato 2012-06-19 19:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I can throw a post up here too since I'm thinking of trying this game out again after I quit about a year ago. I have some jobs leveled, and some gil under my belt from when I last played. H2H 20, Sword50, Axe20, Archer30, Polearm21, Thau25, Conjury20. Would it be worth coming back and giving the game a test drive again? I don't have a LS also, so anybody on Sargatanas have a shell for returning players that's friendly if I decide to come back?
 Siren.Barber
Server: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2012-06-20 00:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Leves go to 99 now? Would mine be built up to 99 or do you have to start the accumulation over 4 by doing a quest or something?
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2012-06-20 01:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

They acumulate to 99 even if your character was inactive. No quest or anything.
First Page 2 3