Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 317 318 319 ... 446 447 448
By tyalangan 2016-11-07 15:30:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Does enhancing duration gear affect blu spells? I know MG is unaffected by telchine augments but can Flutter and or other spells be extended in their duration? (not including Diffusion)
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-11-07 15:41:46
Link | Quote | Reply

If the gear specifically states "enhancing magic" duration, then no, it does not.

However, gear with "refresh" duration/potency and "regen" duration/potency do affect the correlating spells. As long as the spell directly gives the status correlating with the bonus, it works. For instance, "regen" potency affects Regeneration as it directly gives a "regen" status effect. However, the "regen" potency gear does not affect Mighty Guard, as that gives a unique status.

I don't know of any definitive testing on "aquaveil" bonuses working with Carcharian Verve, as that's a rather difficult thing to check. I still use the gear when casting the spell, but I can't say for sure if it works.
[+]
 Valefor.Gorns
Server: Valefor
user: Gorns
By Valefor.Gorns 2016-11-10 07:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Which pair would be the best for TPing ?

• Adhemar Wristbands NQ

STR+15 DEX+43
Accuracy+22
"Triple Attack"+3%
"Store TP"+6

Augments: AGI+10, DEX+10, Accuracy+15

• Herculean Gloves

STR+16 DEX+39
Accuracy+12
"Triple Attack"+2%
"Subtle Blow"+5
Physical damage taken -2%

Augments: Attack+29,Triple Atk.+3, STR+8, Accuracy+11

The beast within guide says Herc. hands requires 4 TA and >25 atk to be BiS, although this pair has only 3TA, I'd say Herc wins.

Thanx for your advices
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-11-10 07:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Gorns said: »

• Adhemar Wristbands NQ

STR+15 DEX+43
Accuracy+22
"Triple Attack"+3%
"Store TP"+6

• Herculean Gloves

STR+16 DEX+39
Accuracy+12
"Triple Attack"+2%
"Subtle Blow"+5

The beast within guide says Herc. hands requires 4 TA and >25 atk to be BiS, although this pair has only 3TA, I'd say Herc wins.

Thanx for your advices

Ideally be "Herculean Gloves" (TA+4% ACC+20~ ATK+20~)

Between 2 hands you provided I would say :

Adhemar for ACC+
Herculean when ACC not needed.
By Yandaime 2016-11-10 09:15:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »

• Adhemar Wristbands NQ

STR+15 DEX+43
Accuracy+22
"Triple Attack"+3%
"Store TP"+6

• Herculean Gloves

STR+16 DEX+39
Accuracy+12
"Triple Attack"+2%
"Subtle Blow"+5

Thanx for your advices

Adhemar for ACC+

I'm on the fence about that one. In almost every scenario that I plug into the spreadsheet, I get Herc Gloves either losing or tied with perfect Augments. Just eyeballing it, the Adhemar are VERY solid and it almost seems pointless to make a TP-Herc in the first place
[+]
 Leviathan.Stamos
Server: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-11-10 09:27:32
Link | Quote | Reply

STP is a hell of a thing.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2016-11-10 09:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Yandaime said: »
Bismarck.Kuroganashi said: »

• Adhemar Wristbands NQ

STR+15 DEX+43
Accuracy+22
"Triple Attack"+3%
"Store TP"+6

• Herculean Gloves

STR+16 DEX+39
Accuracy+12
"Triple Attack"+2%
"Subtle Blow"+5

Thanx for your advices

Adhemar for ACC+

I'm on the fence about that one. In almost every scenario that I plug into the spreadsheet, I get Herc Gloves either losing or tied with perfect Augments. Just eyeballing it, the Adhemar are VERY solid and it almost seems pointless to make a TP-Herc in the first place

Never said 100% Herculean is better

Both are Solid Hands

HOWEVER: Adhemar has Store TP which helps and Herculean can get better ACC ATK Triple Status >< so hard to pick :X
 Ragnarok.Bendaire
Server: Ragnarok
user: Warebear
By Ragnarok.Bendaire 2016-11-12 16:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn good guide, sometimes I wish I could be so fanatical about the game, have no idea how to get decent gear, do have the JSE sword, the AF 119d, and the relic shirt 119, but I have no clue how to get awesome gear. Solo mostly and can't play like everyone else, not am I going to try. Thanks for the guide Neighbor.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 13:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

since I finally got my glowy Almace the other day, I have been making some updates. my current Colada for offhand is DMG +13, Acc +19, Att +14, DA +3. I remember somewhere in here someone had basically assigned point values to the various augment bits to help you determine if it was better than a Nibiru R15-A. since the search feature is down, I was looking for some input as to whether the 15 DEX I am losing for CDC (otherwise the two end up giving me the same Acc. values when I use /checkparam) is worth the gains of a few attack and the additional point of DA.

additionally, I am looking for High Tier Mission Battlefields I can dual box with my GEO mule on VD. I can just barely scrape through a Tenzen fight, but I am riding my MP H A R D even with Trusts for Refresh/Ballad/Entrust Indi-Refresh (and I am still 19k Alex away from my Tizona) and it gets dicey. D is a joke, but the downgrade in loot just sucks. generally speaking gear-wise, I tend to be somewhere around what is best/2nd best in most slots according to the guide, accounting for NQ instead of HQ abj, and less than perfect augments for the most part. any additional input would be great.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-11-14 14:14:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You really shouldn't be having having any issues with Tenzen; while it's possible to get unlucky every now and then, that fight is pretty much a joke.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 14:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

the issue I am running into is solely with MP due to Occultation use as well as Silent Storm, and Dream Flowering the brats. I could skip Diffusioning Mighty Guard to try and save a little, but I hate to drop the duration.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-11-14 14:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

What WHM are you using?
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-11-14 14:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan is better than Tenzen, the only way you die is from your mistakes. Just have to position your trusts so they're not in front. You can cheese Leviathan by running out of range of Grand Fall. If you can't be bothered to do that, just swap to do DT while it uses Grand Fall. It is pretty straight forward once you get used to it. Just need to proc it to remove is DT/En-effect. JAs = Blue, WS = Red, and Magic is grellow.
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2016-11-14 15:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
the issue I am running into is solely with MP due to Occultation use as well as Silent Storm, and Dream Flowering the brats. I could skip Diffusioning Mighty Guard to try and save a little, but I hate to drop the duration.

Couple questions, and not which whm trust you're using. Essentially, if you're leaning on a whm for this fight.. you're already doing it wrong.

How is your gear? How many shadows are you getting from occultation? If you're not getting 11, it will be a little tougher. When you zone in.. pop battery charge, flutter, and occultation.. and then do your MG, etc.. the first 3 last 5 minutes and shouldn't wear during the fight. This will also help you with occultation timer for when you need to reapply.

I typically duo this fight with another blu, but it's not very difficult to solo. If you're using a GEO mule.. have you tried to /blm and have him EES Sleepga the tarus? That will save you some MPs.

This is like a mad-dash fight, you spam CDC until he does the one 1 hour animation and then you can't WS him for roughly 45 seconds.. after it wears, you should be able to do a few more CDC before he pops invincible. When he pops invincible.. back away like 8 yalms and make sure you aim for the left-most Taru(pretty sure it's Cherukki) with a Dream Flower.. that SHOULD buy you an extra 30ish seconds without interruption. Ironically, if you target a different Taru, it might not hit them all.. and she is the one that will ruin your day the best.

MP becomes an issue over multiple fights, but so long as you have fresh gear and put up battery charge while re-upping your KIs, it should keep you topped off with little downtime.

Hopefully this helps.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 15:04:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
What WHM are you using?

Yoran-Oran. I have had to turtle up once or twice while waiting for enough MP to use Occultation. I have been taking King of Hearts and Koru-Moru, for Refresh and backup healing respectively.

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Leviathan is better than Tenzen, the only way you die is from your mistakes. Just have to position your trusts so they're not in front. You can cheese Leviathan by running out of range of Grand Fall. If you can't be bothered to do that, just swap to do DT while it uses Grand Fall. It is pretty straight forward once you get used to it. Just need to proc it to remove is DT/En-effect. JAs = Blue, WS = Red, and Magic is grellow.

with regards to proccing, /RUN for enspell/resistence preferred, or something else? Sudden Lunge for -ga/-ja spells? like I said, I have a pocket GEO, because double personal pool is always better, so if it is preferred to just weather the storm with Attunement/Vex, I can always do that as well.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-11-14 15:10:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sub warrior. With the aoe damage nerf, trusts will not be one shotted anymore from Tidal Wave. Minus like Shantotto 2 when the campaign is not up. The only damaging thing from Leviathan really is Grand Fall. You just need to make sure you're generally keeping Occultation up full time to negate all single target nukes and physical blood pacts. To proc it has to be while it is doing a TP move or spell. You only have to proc it once per cycle. The cycle resets if/when it does Tidal Wave. Shantotto 2 will proc red with her auto-attacks.

I'm solo, and I go with in this order(I run to the far right corner to position trusts safely, voking if it is doing waterja):

Shantotto 2
Apururu
Selhteus
Qultada
King of hearts
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 15:24:46
Link | Quote | Reply

thanks for that, I will give that a shot in a little bit and see how it goes. even if it is only comparable to Tenzen, it should be faster since you do not need to wait through his SPs.
 Leviathan.Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-11-14 15:29:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It is a lot better. If you die on Leviathan it is completely your fault. While on Tenzen there is factors where you could just get unlucky and die. As long as you swap to DT for Grand Fall(it is breath damage) you should be fine.

Takes like 2 mins per fight, with one minute summoning trusts/buffing at start. So your kill times should be between 3-4 minutes depending how much it is spamming Grand Fall/Waterja
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-11-14 15:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »

Vile Elixir +1 is your friend... it drops from the fight itself, is available on the AH for cheap, and also from Curio Moogle if you're in a pinch.

For trusts, I call King of Hearts (Refresh II/Phalanx II/Dia III), Ulmia and Joachim for Ballads, and Qultada usually ends up giving Evoker's Roll as MP starts to dip. This setup, along w/ the Elixir, are enough to carry me through a 6-7 min solo VD fight (no mule).

I also don't MG until after Yaegasumi is over... since that's about the time when the trusts start switching from Marches to Ballads.

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
Leviathan is better than Tenzen

+1
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2016-11-14 15:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I usually use Tizona on Tenzen but I have played around with Almace and Sequence. While I still prefer Tizona, Almace was more than workable thanks to Devotion and Refresh. Either weapon results in a ~4:30 win.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 17:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

6 minutes with ducking into my turtle set for grand fall, but no MP issues and I can park my mule at the start for extra drops. win/win. thank you for the input.
 Sylph.Oraen
Server: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-11-14 17:14:06
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a GEO mule, I would highly suggest using them to help out. If you get practiced enough with dodging Grand Fall, Fury/Frailty will drastically improve your kill speed. If you want extra safety, you can use Vex/Attunement or Fend/Fade for the defenses.
By oyama 2016-11-14 18:53:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I semi-regularly do VD Levi with a geo friend, and we recently came up with this strategy that is both fast and almost perfectly safe. Entrust Vex on yourself, eat a miso ramen (we found that entrust-vex was not quite reliable enough on its own), Indi-Attune, and BoG+EA Frailty. I have similar gear (some BiS, mostly 2nd or 3rd or comparable) and no REMA (using Colada/Nibiru), and our kill time is roughly 3-4 mins including buff time. I also bring Amchuchu for the Valiance, and set Blinding Fulgor for the meva trait. I never run out of range of Grand Fall, and I don't even have switch to DT gear for it. I just SC him at will, stopping only to recast occultation and magic barrier. Takes him about 2 Grand Falls to break Magic Barrier with this setup.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-14 20:13:52
Link | Quote | Reply

my big problem is my mule is FAR from well geared. I do not have a -DT set to stick him in, (he used to be my WHM mule, but then we got Apururu and Yoran) so I decided to gear his GEO to be somewhat useful still about a month ago. he lacks 900 combined skill as well as anything beyond NQ Emp. because no Vagary wins. I imagine that once I have settled in I can make better use of him, but right now I am just getting back into the swing of things and shaking some rust off because I am finally feeling human again after a long recovery from chest surgery.

I've been pushing hard to make up for lost time (~8k Alexandrite in maybe 2 weeks, followed with saving gil for this campaign to finish Almace, and now I am focusing solely on getting all the Beitetsu I can for my eventual Tizona as well as my Ryunohige); I bankrupted myself to get ~6k boulders in 24 hours. the kicker is that they would begin this campaign the 2nd day I am back to work, instead of when I was mostly OK and could have taken better advantage of it. I have also been spamming the ***out of Selkit to get stones for better Herculean augments, but I have literally chewed through about 500 in the past two days on pants to only manage DEX +12, Acc +22, and Crit Hit Rate +3, which barely replaces my Ta'labs. (lacking the Triple Attack, they may even be worse... I should really find a working spreadsheet) I figure once this 2-3 weeks is over, it'll be back to the Alexandrite grindstone as well as getting the last 60k Ichor I need, after which I should be sitting pretty well to mop up anything else I need.
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2016-11-15 18:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

hey blues :) question: i have a ton of swords i can equip for blue.. disclaimer : I do not have emp/mythic/aeonic/relic nor will i be starting them now ( i know colada is on my to do list) ...that being said i have the following swords at my disposal NOW..which should i use to start with until i can get coladas:

- Max augment Vampirism
- medeina kilij
- acclimator
- buramenk'ah

Many thanks in advance! Trying to sort out this hoarding issue I have and drop the swords i dont need :)
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-15 18:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

at this point, I would say Vampirism and Acclimator, though Acclimator and Buramenk'ah are neck and neck. Medeina is only if you want to nuke and don't have clubs.

personally, I would make a beeline to Zi'tah and get a Nibiru Blade; it's an incredibly strong offhand for Colada or Tanmogayi +1 and doesn't suffer from augment roulette.
[+]
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2016-11-15 18:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont have clubs yet, but i have not been in a situation i need to nuke ..at this moment :)
I will definitely look into that blade which augment path would you suggest?
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-15 19:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

as with all things in this game, ***'s situational. Path A is the route I went personally, so I could be sure my swings hit all the things. if you are fighting only lower leveled content, Path B is a powerhouse.
[+]
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2016-11-15 19:13:56
Link | Quote | Reply

thank you for the advice .. so its safe to drop buramenk'ah and medeina kilij and work on getting the sword and clubs? ( i have a hoarding problem thats out of control when it comes to gear) haha

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 ... 317 318 319 ... 446 447 448