Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-30 14:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Fenrir.Weakness said: »
Hmm... never heard of 21's, they seem interesting. I might have to read up and try that over standing curls soon as my off week is over.
Added them to the end of my back/bicep workout yesterday they totally destroyed my bicep with a 20lb dumbbell.

Seraph.Jacaut said: »
***I've been doing low reps >.< maybe why I feel stronger but have minimal show.
It's genetics man. You're going to gain mass and strength with low rep (e.g. 5x5) so long as you have a caloric surplus. Lighter reps can result in hypertrophy(more mass) depending on your genetics.

If you haven't been gaining mass with low-rep double check your diet and form first. If your diet and form are on-check then try out lighter reps.

Learning so much lately.my workout seems to be changing a lot. Just started doing more compound movements instead of isolated workouts about 2 weeks ago so I'll stick with what I'm doing for a bit see how it goes. Most of its new to me so form is probally why my weight is going up steadily. Sure I'll find my averages soon and know what to push through. Second time doing squats and I hit 165 3x10 the week before only did 135 3x10. For example.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-30 23:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Question about cutting I am using two different methods and wanted to get some input on my cutting macros: I am aiming for 2648 calories on training days, this is down from my 3100 calorie bulk diet.

On Leangains Macro Calculator

Rest Days Protein-140 g Carbs-70 g Fat-94 g 1,685 kcal
Training Days Protein-140 g Carbs-392 g Fat-58 g 2,648 kcal

However on bodybuilding forums I see many using a 40p:40f:20c ratio which gives me

Protein-265g Carbs-132g Fat-118g

I'm a bit confused which one is ideal. I know I need at least 140g of protein for maintenance. 265g of protein just seems excessive!

EDIT: Or is this mainly broscience and so long as im in caloric deficit and meeting my protein is what mainly matters?
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-05-01 01:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Learning so much lately.my workout seems to be changing a lot. Just started doing more compound movements instead of isolated workouts about 2 weeks ago so I'll stick with what I'm doing for a bit see how it goes. Most of its new to me so form is probally why my weight is going up steadily. Sure I'll find my averages soon and know what to push through. Second time doing squats and I hit 165 3x10 the week before only did 135 3x10. For example.
Another point: strength and endurance are closely related. Strength increases endurance by lowering the relative intensity of similar actions, which means we can do more reps at lighter weights. Which set do you think will pack on more size, 165 for 3x10 or 265 for 3x10? This is the standard argument for getting strong before worrying about getting big.

In other words, you didn't waste your time! Just don't quit ever and you'll be fine.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-01 06:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Got paged <.<. So what should I change/add/remove or does it look good in your guy's opinion?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-01 10:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Day 1
Bench, curls (possibly 21's after reading up on them), 10 miles on bike.

Day 2
Squats, 10 miles on bike.

Day 3
Single arm rows, Lying tricep extension, 10 miles on bike.

Day 4
Lunges, 10 miles on bike

Day 5
Dumbbell side raises, Seated military press, 10 miles on bike

Day 6/7
10 miles on bike
Are you looking to burn fat or add mass? The workout seems light on the weightlifting and heavy on cardio. You don't need to be doing so much cardio every day. 3-4x a week is fine especially if that cardio is HIIT(high intensity interval training). Also call me a traditionalist but chest/triceps and back/biceps is better if you are starting out.

Hmm I'd add some more exercises to the workout e.g.

Day 1 - Dumbbell Bench Press, Dumbbell Flies, Decline Dumbbell Bench Press, Lying Tricep Extension, Bench Dips
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-01 11:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

All about losing weight at the moment, keeping it at 1800 or fewer calories a day as well.

Also do this in the morning before work/school so try to keep it under 60 minutes (which is why fewer weights and heavy cardio). Yeah waking up at 3:45 sucks.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-01 20:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

All about losing weight at the moment, keeping it at 1800 or fewer calories a day as well.

Also do this in the morning before work/school so try to keep it under 60 minutes (which is why fewer weights and heavy cardio). Yeah waking up at 3:45 sucks.

Since you are on a time crunch might I recommend high-intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio?

HIIT is a great way to loose weight and only requires you do it 3x a week if that.

Quote:
What Is This HIIT You Speak Of?
HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It is a very demanding, and super effective workout. It will burn the same amount of calories as running for 30-50 minutes in a fraction of the time, but you will be working a lot harder. Heres a break down of the workout

-Max effort for X seconds
-Moderate effort for Y seconds
-Rinse and repeat until 15-20 minutes is reached

That’s it. Believe me, it will leave you winded and gasping for air. Typically, HIIT is done while running outdoors. Here is what a running HIIT workout would usually look like.

-Sprint for 15 seconds
-Jog for 60 seconds
-Rinse and repeat until 15-20 minutes is reached

Now you can choose to do HIIT while rowing, biking, swimming or even the cardio machines at your gym. The idea is to simply work as hard as you can for X seconds then step it down to a moderate intensity for Y seconds.

How Many Seconds Should I Be Doing?
The number of seconds that you decided to use depends on your level of fitness. Beginners would be at max effort less and the advanced would be at max effort longer. Heres a chart with the varying levels/intensities.

Beginner - Max Effort Seconds (10-15) Moderate Effort Seconds (60)
Intermediate - Max Effort Seconds (15-30) Moderate Effort Seconds (45-60)
Advanced - Max Effort Seconds (30-60) Moderate Effort Seconds (30-45)

Before Your Workout
Have a proper pre workout meal an hour before. Have some carbs and protein. This could be a protein shake with oatmeal or anything you choose.
Make sure to stretch out properly with some dynamic stretches depending on what median you choose.

After Your Workout
Stretch out with static stretches
Have a proper post workout nutrition. A combination of carbs and protein is optimal. Again, something like a protein shake and a source of carbs.

Conclusion
HIIT is a very effective weapon in your fat melting arsenal so make sure to use it to your advantage. It will be hard at first but after your body adapts, it will become easier. Then it’s time to up the difficulty and push it even more! Do HIIT and those abs will be shining in no time.

EDIT: I would not do HIIT before your workout, it's incredibly draining.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-01 20:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Just thinking about HIIT makes me want to puke my guts out.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-01 20:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Just thinking about HIIT makes me want to puke my guts out.

HIIT is rough, but after doing it for a few weeks it isn't so bad. The best part is it's a time-effective exercise.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-06 20:24:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So wanted to post this event that happened today at my gym. My gym has 3 people tops during the afternoon in the weight room. I get there... I see this older gentlemen probably 60's in a motorized wheelchair. Doing his chest workout.

He never once asked for help, He did his workout left. So *** inspirational. Made my workout that much better.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-07 04:18:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Start of month 4 is today, so picture day =/

As promised, here is an update. Currently at 235 pounds, down from 270ish at the start of the year. So 35 more pounds to go.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-07 08:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Did 3x curl 21s this morning using 20's... Been like 3 and a half hours and it still hurts to raise my arms.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-05-09 21:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Guess I need to start counting calories. Eating way less than I thought I was. Started my cut may 1st at 164 lbs. Losing weight entirely too fast. I'm at 152 right now
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-05-10 09:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Squats today 3 x 15 @315 pounds

Posting because there is something exceedingly sexy about that rep/set/weight combo

PS. I have the *** of a clydesdale. Dig it!
[+]
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-05-10 09:43:22
Link | Quote | Reply

did my first 5k today was fun! got 2nd place for my age group 20-39. was about 50 people total there. soon as i learn how to post pictures online and get my time ill update. was around 25-26 minutes i think.

*edit* heres some pics. Was a hero run, i wanted to go as "the doctor" but had no money for a costume, so i went as Goku instead since i had the shirt, pretty fitting for a run id say too. So 25 min 32 seconds and I got 7th out of 42 people.
[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-11 21:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to sound like a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE question, but here I go. I know I'm still several months away from my 200 lbs goal, but I'm just trying to think ahead a little and try to plan this out.

I've done the lose weight thing before when I was younger... but that is really as far as I ever got into the body building thing. I really wanted to try and bulk a little after I lost all the weight, but I'm scared of just ending up fat again. What I would love to happen is to be 220~230, just not the current chubby 230 I am right now.

Was wondering if I should try a bulk cycle after I lose the weight I'm working on now, or should I just go about the slow and steady and hope I get bigger idea?

Really I'd just like the vanity of bigger arms/chest/back... just thinking I'm asking too much.
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-05-12 00:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going to sound like a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE question, but here I go. I know I'm still several months away from my 200 lbs goal, but I'm just trying to think ahead a little and try to plan this out.

I've done the lose weight thing before when I was younger... but that is really as far as I ever got into the body building thing. I really wanted to try and bulk a little after I lost all the weight, but I'm scared of just ending up fat again. What I would love to happen is to be 220~230, just not the current chubby 230 I am right now.

Was wondering if I should try a bulk cycle after I lose the weight I'm working on now, or should I just go about the slow and steady and hope I get bigger idea?

Really I'd just like the vanity of bigger arms/chest/back... just thinking I'm asking too much.
If you can keep it real clean, sure.If not, slow and steady!
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-05-12 08:09:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Slow and steady. If you are hitting the weights and sticking to a good diet you are getting bigger and stronger muscles. You will see this once you start gradually shedding the body fat. Don't be in a rush because it takes awhile to do it the healthy permanent way. Only compare yoursrlf to the old you and marvel at how far you have come.
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-05-13 22:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been taking saint john's wort for mood health and I was wondering if there was anything else like it that you all know of that could help?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-05-14 06:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

5-HTP
[+]
 Phoenix.Suji
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-05-15 21:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been taking saint john's wort for mood health and I was wondering if there was anything else like it that you all know of that could help?
Phosphatidylserine is another one but I haven't personally taken it other than through mackerel and organ meat. It passes the *** test though.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-05-17 21:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

3-plate for the first time. Though next time I'm going to use the regular grip instead of the side grip

[+]
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-05-19 06:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Blergh... Apparently I worked myself too hard. I have pericarditis, and am more or less on bed rest for the next month.

Have to be super strict on my diet since I'm not supposed to be working out. So, get the sneaking suspicion not going to have any decent loses any time soon. Makes me super annoyed, it's gonna feel like square one on cardio when I can start back up.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-05-20 17:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Have to be super strict on my diet since I'm not supposed to be working out. So, get the sneaking suspicion not going to have any decent loses any time soon. Makes me super annoyed, it's gonna feel like square one on cardio when I can start back up.
You may be surprised. I always have better losses when I'm not doing a lot of physical activity (which is all but impossible these days, for better or worse).

Unless you're someone as active as an athlete, the bulk of your ability to lose weight should derive from your diet. I know that has given you problems thus far, but you've also indicated that you're moderately active. Yes, you might lose some muscle mass (which would happen on low activity/bedrest, anyhow), but you can mitigate that by keeping protein intake high. And what you do lose you can quickly recover when you're moving again.

If you must have something to worry about, worry about getting yourself back into the groove once you're cleared again. As many warm-weather athletes learn the hard way, spending a month or three in downtime due to winter (or whatever excuse you may have) makes the first week back so much harder. It's one of many reasons why I don't stop bicycling except in the worst winter weather, such as we had this past year.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-05-21 21:23:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey do you guys take glutamine supplementation? Is it worth it? I know we kinda talked about this a few pages back about supplements in general.

MultiV, FishOil, VitC, Whey, Creatine and PWO are my basic staples. I'll add BCAA's/Intraworkout(on a cut) and casein during a (bulk).

But how about glutamine is it worth the extra $$ or will BCAA/Intraworkout be enough especially on a cut?
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-06-05 21:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone just gave me some 1st phorm ignition. I was just trying to figure out if it's a pre workout energy drink or is it something else?
By fractalvoid 2014-06-05 21:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Hey do you guys take glutamine supplementation? Is it worth it? I know we kinda talked about this a few pages back about supplements in general.

MultiV, FishOil, VitC, Whey, Creatine and PWO are my basic staples. I'll add BCAA's/Intraworkout(on a cut) and casein during a (bulk).

But how about glutamine is it worth the extra $$ or will BCAA/Intraworkout be enough especially on a cut?

I don't work out but I take glutamine in the mornings. It's probably good for working out but I can't say for sure. I notice I'm fatigued less on my bike rides to/from campus but that could be due to tyrosine or glutamine (I added these to my "stack" at the same time - everything else I was already acquainted with)

I also recommend alpha lipoic acid.

I take fish oil, cdp-choline, SOLGAR B&C complex(it has other random stuff besides B&C tho), l-glutamine, l-theanine, l-tyrosine, vitamin d3, n-acetyl-l-carnitine, Lion's Mane Mushroom powder extract, magnesium taurate (mg oxide bound to taurine) and a -racetam (or 2) daily - either right before or right after breakfast. (I prefer coluracetam & aniracetam (especially combined) but also use noopept, piracetam and phenylpiracetam)

I take alpha lipoic acid and inositol, but sparingly as I can't find any definitive literature on what exactly they do, nor can I notice any discernible effects that I could attribute to them.

I try to cycle with -racetams and CDP-choline just in case, but I never really notice too much of a tolerance or negative effects, but the most I take these is during school, so 5x week... but everything else I take daily or near daily

I also usually have a coffee and sometimes smoke cigarettes (not quite the healthiest way to get nicotine but w/e - there are various studies done on nicotine's effect on cognitive performance)

I was taking Selank for a while and it was pretty awesome, just haven't bought more yet. You might want to look into some peptides. I imagine Semax would be nice for working out or maybe some of the other stuff Ceretropic carries.

Hope my post is relevant despite the fact I don't work out.
By fractalvoid 2014-06-05 21:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

St. John's Wort is a mild SSRI. I personally wouldn't bother with it.

You should try inositol maybe as far as OTC stuff. SOLAR B&C complex is also pretty good. Fish oil definitely works if you don't already take that.

As far as non-OTC with mood enhancing properties, try CDP-Choline.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-06-07 19:55:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost 3 and a half weeks of no working out... I was pretty good about my diet (went out to hooters for wings after a couple of work things, but wasn't too terrible). Just picked up working out again yesterday and I didn't even realize how much better I felt after working out until it was gone and back again.

Welp, it's the 7th and the start of month 5 so holding myself to picture day. 222 pounds on the new fancy super accurate scale the wife got me, and close enough to the same on the old one that I'mma call it good enough for all the old weights I took and how far down I am.

Anyway, here they are. Never mind the angry face again, was trying not to suck in but not puff out like always in my pictures... it takes a surprising amount of effort for me to act natural while staring at myself in the mirror.
[+]
 Seraph.Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-06-12 08:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it's not really that much but I wanted to state my back squat was up to 200 today which has me stoked! Lol
First Page 2 3 ... 59 60 61 62 63