Fitness and Nutrition general
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 61 62 63
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-23 21:35:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbathboy said: »
If you want back thickness Bacon try bent over rows.

I did them today. Did a wider grip than what I'm used to! Oh I can feel the difference!

Found this article online...what do you guys think for trap development?

Quote:
Here are the top three exercises in terms of mean and peak activity for each muscle part:

Front Delt

Mean: Seated Behind Neck Press, Seated Military Press, Incline Press
Peak: Seated Behind Neck Press, Standing DB Military Press, Incline Press

Mid Delt

Mean: Band Face Pull, Lateral Raise, Seated Behind Neck Press
Peak: Band Face Pull, Lateral Raise, Cable Lateral Raise

Rear Delt

Mean: Band Face Pull, Bent Over Rear Delt Raise, Prone Rear Delt Raise
Peak: Band Face Pull, Bent Over Rear Delt Raise, Hanging Row

Upper Trap

Mean: BB Shrug, Cable Lateral Raise, Standing Military Press
Peak: Cable Lateral Raise, BB Shrug, Seated Behind Neck Press

Inside the Muscles: Best Shoulders and Trap Exercises
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2014-04-23 22:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Phoenix.Suji said: »
Strength training programs typically have lower weekly deadlift volume because it's really not necessary to go beyond one high intensity set of five to progress. But this assumes you're also squatting heavy at least twice a week to build some of the leg strength required to break the bar off of the ground.

This is something I've wondered. Deadlifts are so exhausting, especially 5x5, I feel if/when I do them the rest of my workout gets hindered. However, i like how they are a great compound back exercise.

Why I always do them last. If you truly give it your all on multiple sets of deadlifts, you're going to be pretty much finished.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-24 00:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jogi said: »
Just curious, how many different work outs do you try to do per muscle group? Sets/reps also

Generally don't exceed 12 sets, not including resistance/isolation workouts or the warmup.

Anything after 12 sets is auxiliary and I'm mainly doing it to target something minor.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-25 08:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

wick said: »
Deadlifts arent for back, they are a compund movement for legs hopefully more glute activation. Since a deadlift is really a deep squat.

Deadlifts hit more than just the legs and back. They also affect your traps and core as well. The 'Christmas Tree' muscle in your lower back is the main muscle being activated, though your hams and glutes will also get some love as well.

Depends on your stance and what kind of deadlifts you're doing. Sumo or Standard will definitely hit your whole back, maybe minus lats. Straight Legged are for (yeah) hams. They do different things.
 Fenrir.Weakness
Server: Fenrir
user: Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-25 08:38:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Was looking into getting a pre workout supplement. Really just looking for some kind of stim, trying to to avoid creatine if at all possible. Just need something to wake my *** up so I actually want to workout at 4 am.

Was looking at C4 or ON's Pre. C4 seems to be the standard, but I use ON's Gold Standard for protein and it is good stuff so was going on company reputation there.

Any suggestions?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-25 09:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Weakness said: »
Was looking into getting a pre workout supplement. Really just looking for some kind of stim, trying to to avoid creatine if at all possible. Just need something to wake my *** up so I actually want to workout at 4 am.

Was looking at C4 or ON's Pre. C4 seems to be the standard, but I use ON's Gold Standard for protein and it is good stuff so was going on company reputation there.

Any suggestions?

Everyone responds to preworkout's a bit differently so my suggestion is trying a few samples from friends or some smaller supplement shops will sell you samples. Most of them have a small amount of creatine usually about 1-1.5g per serving.

Assault, Gaspari SuperPump Max, C4 are my personal favorites. I have never tried ON's pwo, USP Lab's JACK3d's pwo is horrible since they removed the DMAA.

One think you should ask yourself do you mind the tingling/itching associated with Beta-Alanine(a main ingredient in many PWO's). Beta-alanine for me at least is very distracting during my workout especially. Some people swear by it in their pwo, so it's up to you.

Assault has a lot of beta-alanine compared to others. Assault also is very high in niacin, so if you have a sensitivity to niacin take that in mind.

C4 has some beta-alanine in it but not as much. C4 is dirt cheap if you have a Costco membership you can get two for 38 bucks.

Gaspari SuperPump Max has no beta-alanine in it, It's my personal favorite at the moment.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2014-04-25 10:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
USP Lab's JACK3d's

My body gets used to Jacked in about 3 uses. Its crap to me.

I have tried a bunch, but would totally recommend ANIMAL RAGE preworkout. Totally turns me into a beast and motivates me in the weight room. Haven't take it in some time, but from what I remember, a full dose was literally enought to keep me up for 8 hours straight and I had trouble sleeping (would go to the gym and take it around 5:30, workout at 6:00). So just make sure if you do try a preworkout (not just animal) you are aware of how it will affect your body and performance after your workout.

But since you're taking it in the AM, that won't be an issue.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-25 11:36:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So today I was carrying cabinets up several flights of stairs. I was working with a guy almost a foot taller than me and he ended up balancing the longer cabinets on my back while I sherpa'd my way up. Other times I'd reach above and behind me, grab the cabinet (they had convenient plastic reinforcements on the inside corners), hoist it onto my own back and go.

It ended up working my legs, butt, core, and even my arms and shoulders to a limited extent. And it actually felt great (I've been wanting to rebuild my core strength since changing bikes). I love the whole-body/compound movement thing that I had going and was sad that it only took about an hour to empty the truck.

Question I have is how to recreate this. Obviously I could probably just put some amount of weight in a duffel bag, hoist it into position, and climb the stairs of my apartment building, but we only have one flight and it'd get dull fast (and probably annoy my neighbors trying to get in and out).

Thoughts?
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-25 13:58:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
So just make sure if you do try a preworkout (not just animal) you are aware of how it will affect your body and performance after your workout.
Oh yes this is important! Some of them keep you awake loooong after. A few will give you chest pains too after your work out.

Cellucor C4 was one of them that kept me up long after, as does Gaspari SuperPump. Assault was one of the few that I could sleep well with.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-25 15:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, working out has always simply been a hobby. I have fun doing it and enjoy it.

Never understood the concept behind "Taking out your anger/frustration at the gym" If I'm mad, it *** up my concentration and the training session is generally bad.

That being said, fighting some pretty heavy depression lately and for some reason I have an overwhelming desire to train. This isn't usually the type of situation I'd like to train in, but let's see how it works out.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-25 15:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Exercise releases a ton of hormones that help to improve mood, not least are dopamine and testosterone (which are closely related, anyhow). Unless you have a reason to be depressed and should spend time examining that, working out is probably the best response to being in a funk.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-25 16:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just messing around in the garage, did very well performance definitely went up.

Outside of the gym, feel the same. Just the training itself was top notch. Hope this carries over to Fossil tonight, want to go for a record setting lap tonight.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-25 16:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What is Fossil?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-25 16:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

My obstacle course, Fossil or FP for short (fossil park)
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-04-25 16:23:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't had a "Good" run there since I threw my back out in November
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-25 16:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, good luck for tonight.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-25 21:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
Never understood the concept behind "Taking out your anger/frustration at the gym" If I'm mad, it *** up my concentration and the training session is generally bad.

Bad idea! Especially PWO and anger = PWO-rage...
 Bismarck.Bloodbathboy
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Bloodbathboy 2014-04-25 22:12:46
Link | Quote | Reply

As for your rows Bacon try wide and close grips. One will hit the outer back and one the inner back. I train to compete and want my back looking good from my spine all the way to the end of my back!
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-25 22:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »

Any suggestions?

Everyone responds to preworkout's a bit differently so my suggestion is trying a few samples from friends or some smaller supplement shops will sell you samples. Most of them have a small amount of creatine usually about 1-1.5g per serving.

Assault, Gaspari SuperPump Max, C4 are my personal favorites. I have never tried ON's pwo, USP Lab's JACK3d's pwo is horrible since they removed the DMAA.

One think you should ask yourself do you mind the tingling/itching associated with Beta-Alanine(a main ingredient in many PWO's). Beta-alanine for me at least is very distracting during my workout especially. Some people swear by it in their pwo, so it's up to you.

Assault has a lot of beta-alanine compared to others. Assault also is very high in niacin, so if you have a sensitivity to niacin take that in mind.

C4 has some beta-alanine in it but not as much. C4 is dirt cheap if you have a Costco membership you can get two for 38 bucks.

Gaspari SuperPump Max has no beta-alanine in it, It's my personal favorite at the moment.

Just bought it and haven't tried it yet, but JACK'D UP by Hi-Tech labs has the same stuff as the original Jack3d including the DMAA. I am pretty sure its the same company using different name and brand and it will be banned again soon. Took the whole week off of weights so I haven't needed it yet.

The fitness store by me is not afraid to sell anything.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-26 12:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ended up getting something called BullNOX off a suggestion. Took it a little while ago, about to start my workout... definitely perking me up thus far, see how well it fairs after lifting and cardio.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-26 13:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Think I need to wait a little bit longer after taking this stuff than the 30 minutes it says.

During weights I felt a little more alert, but nothing else, but that ***kicked in as I started my cardio. Plowed out 10 miles on the bike easier than it has ever felt and faster to boot. I did 10 in 32 minutes, so just shave off another 2 minutes and I'm at my goal for the bike. After that back to going outside and running on top of my 10 miles on the bike (blerg).
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-28 14:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Think I need to wait a little bit longer after taking this stuff than the 30 minutes it says.

During weights I felt a little more alert, but nothing else, but that ***kicked in as I started my cardio. Plowed out 10 miles on the bike easier than it has ever felt and faster to boot. I did 10 in 32 minutes, so just shave off another 2 minutes and I'm at my goal for the bike. After that back to going outside and running on top of my 10 miles on the bike (blerg).

PWO's effect everyone differently based on your sensitivity to caffeine. I literally get the PWO rush 5-10 minutes after consuming it so I take it as I'm walking in. Others I know it takes 20-30 minutes. Additionally, the size and time of your preworkout meal will effect the PWO. In my experience, the closer your preworkout meal is to your actual workout, the less intense the PWO will feel.
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-29 10:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely love razor 8 blast powder. I've tried jacked volt c4 and none compare to razor for me.

So getting use to squats and deadlift etc. My question is should I be doing sets of 5 or 10? I need to bulk so I'm assuming 5?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-29 15:38:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You get bulk from very high reps. Low rep is more for power.

The Governator used to use like 25 pound dumbbells for biceps.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-29 19:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

Speaking about biceps:

YouTube Video Placeholder

@5:23

They are doing 21's. Has anyone tried this before?
 Seraph.Jacaut
Server: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2014-04-30 12:08:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
You get bulk from very high reps. Low rep is more for power.

***I've been doing low reps >.< maybe why I feel stronger but have minimal show.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-30 12:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... never heard of 21's, they seem interesting. I might have to read up and try that over standing curls soon as my off week is over.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-04-30 14:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... never heard of 21's, they seem interesting. I might have to read up and try that over standing curls soon as my off week is over.
Added them to the end of my back/bicep workout yesterday they totally destroyed my bicep with a 20lb dumbbell.

Seraph.Jacaut said: »
***I've been doing low reps >.< maybe why I feel stronger but have minimal show.
It's genetics man. You're going to gain mass and strength with low rep (e.g. 5x5) so long as you have a caloric surplus. Lighter reps can result in hypertrophy(more mass) depending on your genetics.

If you haven't been gaining mass with low-rep double check your diet and form first. If your diet and form are on-check then try out lighter reps.
 Fenrir.Weakness
By Fenrir.Weakness 2014-04-30 14:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay thinking of changing up my routine a little since next month will be month 3. Keep in mind all I have are a pair of dumbbells and a bench. Suggestions are always welcome.

Day 1
Bench, curls (possibly 21's after reading up on them), 10 miles on bike.

Day 2
Squats, 10 miles on bike.

Day 3
Single arm rows, Lying tricep extension, 10 miles on bike.

Day 4
Lunges, 10 miles on bike

Day 5
Dumbbell side raises, Seated military press, 10 miles on bike

Day 6/7
10 miles on bike
First Page 2 3 ... 58 59 60 ... 61 62 63