First Page 2 3 ... 570 571 572 ... 577 578 579
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 13:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Plat+ play is when you can start getting sponsored to practice with teams. That's another reason I quit. Being a pro gamer in this day and age is more a badge of shame than pride with most groups of people.
Well, you can get a job at Riot if you're Plat and above, that's a good thing already.

The pro level experience is a pretty good thing to have, it helps if you want a job related to this field. Just don't be a Doublelift and people won't see you negatively. So, don't spend years bragging that you're good when you've 0 LAN win in your whole career.

If you don't do that, ***, you could end up coach/analyst/manager just because you played a bit at high level. Or, if you're funny/smart, you could even stream. It's not so bad, really, it opens doors.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 13:41:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Plat+ play is when you can start getting sponsored to practice with teams. That's another reason I quit. Being a pro gamer in this day and age is more a badge of shame than pride with most groups of people.
Well, you can get a job at Riot if you're Plat and above, that's a good thing already.

The pro level experience is a pretty good thing to have, it helps if you want a job related to this field. Just don't be a Doublelift and people won't see you negatively. So, don't spend years bragging that you're good when you've 0 LAN win in your whole career.

If you don't do that, ***, you could end up coach/analyst/manager just because you played a bit at high level. Or, if you're funny/smart, you could even stream. It's not so bad, really, it opens doors.
I have a job already, I run a small business for the last 8 years. I have 6+ year clients. Many businesses depend on me to operate. It's a web and IT company. I get more pride and meaning from that, than I feel I ever would pro gaming.

Edit: I want to clarify though I don't think less of anyone else who would choose that path. If you enjoy it, good for you, it's not for me though.
Well yeah, anyone who has a proper job or is over the age of 25 shouldn't bother with LoL pro scene. There are other games that offer good opportunities, though, and require much less commitment.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-01-29 13:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

dafuq!
no want!

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Lolserj
Server: Asura
user: Andras
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lolserj said: »
They should go full Smite and make everything or nearly everything skill shots.
I wonder how people use their mouse to have so many issues with quickcasts and co.

The issue with LoL's assassins is that they're glass cannons with thousands of escapes. The whole mobility design is what makes most assassins unbalanced. They have to rely on invincibility moves/frames to get ***done, it's flawed design by default. Mobility makes or break a champion, it's been like this since season 3 at the very least.

A Zed shouldn't be able to get out of jail free the way it does right now, an Ahri shouldn't have 50 Flashes every 50 seconds, Fizz shouldn't have a Zhonya on an 8 seconds cooldown. And so on, it's endless. As long as Riot has to resort giving extreme tools to glass cannons to make sure they can survive, it won't work. Of course, in Riot's design, these things are used to better chase, or to be able to counter what the other players can do but, in practice, it makes for skills that are just too extreme and used defensively. This is the same mentality as them forcing Flash to be used offensively a little while ago, except they're backwards when it comes to skills.

The damage reduction on Katarina's E while being ***as an idea is still miles better than any of the escapes I've mentioned above. If Katarina doesn't kill or get assists when she commits, she can easily get blown up. It is somewhat offset by her base movement speed and smart use of her E in a defensive way, but she's still rather easy to punish compared to the 3 names above.

They're going in the right direction with Akali's fixes, but I really fear them overbuffing champs that supposedly lose DFG's power. Truth is, most people in solo queue never built DFG on those champions or didn't use it properly, so got a straight buff. A good example would be Bronze/Silver which is going to become hell because of those buffs. Riot really went full ostrich on this one.
But that's what we get when Riot is obsessed over patching a game that is aimed toward 100 players, leaving the other millions in the dark. I really wish they had employees who had played fighting games instead of FFXI.

I'm still upset they nerfed the other Katarina play styles that were completely valid because due to their own admission it was too hard for them to balance. AD Kat? Gone. Hybrid Kat? Gone. Tank Kat that uses her base damages and survivability and mobility to survive until times a reset happens? Gone. All of them are results of poor design. They listen to a few people who wish to play champions a certain way and that's what they force other people to play. So much for runes and items. Riot themselves pretty much condones a certain play style and tries to force people into it. Your item choices and runes become limited to the point there's only 1-2 ways to play a champion at any competitive level. And instead of signing on to diversity and creativity they double up and only focus on balancing one way to play any champ.

Which can lead you to two conclusions:
A) Balancing MOBA's is nearly impossible or at least very hard and new territory
B) Riot is incompetent.

Personally I go with a bit from A and a bit from B. Leaning a bit on the side of B but not too far.
Two things:

Yes, it's difficult to balance a MOBA because of the numbers of characters and power creep. However, power creep in fighting games doesn't exist, because the design of characters is solid right off the bat. The logical conclusion is that Riot, while having decent design, is unable to reach what designers reached in the 90's with Street Fighter and KOF games. While those games have only half of the roster we're dealing with here, they still managed to reach a 80% viability. It's huge.
Keep in mind that the game is very well balanced when it comes to pro play. Sure, the pool is less than half of what the game offers (LoL), but it's pretty balanced for those 30/40 champions (if that). The design flaws only affect people like us who aren't in this small pro circuit (not speaking challenger series, those aren't professionals save for very few teams).

They do force playstyles. See LCS, it's frowned upon if a pro player doesn't use the specific summoner spells that he "should" use. Supports using Ignite or Smite happen here and there in LCS, for example, but it's still frowned upon by Riot officially.
But at the same time, they seem to want to promote different playstyles while staying within their design of a champion, or role. It's a 50/50 situation, really.
Good ideas, poor implementations, this is the story of Riot.
Imo, they REALLY need some veteran designers of the video game industry and I find it surprising they still haven't hired any, ever.
Riot is doing well considering their small experience, though.

Overall, at our level, we can only accept how things are and adapt. If you're not happy, you can always post on forums, but we're just random, we have no impact. The whole DFG removal is a good example of a nerf/buff that is only taking pro play into consideration. Since there was a reset in ranks, it's safe to say there are going to be more people in Bronze/Silver than in any higher rank for at the very least 6 to 8 months. So they basically *** over the biggest part of the community here with these unneeded buffs.
But once again, we have no impact, what matters is the balance that you see on competitions' streams. It's sad in some ways, but it is LoL's design.
I support all of this post but the following:
Riot does consider lower tier play. They consider different skill levels in balancing a champion. To the point it pissed off pros a few times by leaving in mechanics they think aren't good for the health of the game. They also give champions that with low effort have high reward. These also end up being in a lot of pro picks (for reliability). Riot actually does take data from every tier. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond, Master/Challenger. Once you're past Gold though you're talking 5% of the global population of LoL players. And the rules do get vastly different. Riot does a pretty good job of balancing around all levels of play imho. There's some champions that will never translate well. And others that translate too well. But that's why the ban lists of upper tier play and lower tier play can be so vastly different too.
What is viable in Diamond and up isn't necessarily viable if played at a Bronze level, yes. And unfortunately, you cannot change that unless you change the champion.

A good example is Fiora being permaban up here while nobody will ever ban her if she's not banned in LCS in anything below plat.

But as much as they take everything into consideration, the ultimate show off for your game are the tournaments. You want your game to shine, so you'll balance mainly toward pro play. We could argue that champions like Quinn are "joke champs" that are targeted at us, shitters, but I don't think they'd go that far. Quinn has a clear niche, but i don't think she was ever targeted at pro play like other carries that came out after/around her were.
I don't think they had any intention upon releasing quinn for pro vs non pro play at all. Riot doesn't have that much foresite and just hopes every champion they produce is successful at all levels. Plat+ play is when you can start getting sponsored to practice with teams. That's another reason I quit. Being a pro gamer in this day and age is more a badge of shame than pride with most groups of people.

Lol he thinks Plat players get sponsors

how *** cute

They do, just because you don't know that just shows how wrong you are yet again. You can go on the forums right now. Look in player recruitment. I've seen more than one thread for fully sponsored teams plat+ players only, holding tryouts. You have to commit to 7 days a week.

I can go on reddit and see recruitment for silver+ players on teams, but that doesn't mean they're going to be getting sponsorship.

Generally if someone is going to get a shot at joining a team (that is actually serious and has a chance for sponsorship) they need to be D1, Masters, or Challenger. In order for players to be a sub on LCS teams they need to be at least Diamond in Soloqueue.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:43:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You generally need to be at that level to join or tryout for Challenger or LCS teams. Anything else just doesn't *** matter.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-01-29 13:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

abilities clearly miss because Dodge runes op!

ohwait
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I just want an actual argument as to how skillshots being "unreliable" makes them bad for game balance.

I don't care if you can't land them from time to time. That doesn't make it ***.

All I need is one actual sentence that provides these "facts" you're talking about. All I've heard so far is that sometimes they hit and sometimes they miss therefore Riot shouldn't include them.

That's a shitty argument.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 13:46:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So, how come that RP cards are the same price in Canada and in the US? 50 USD isn't nearly the same as 50 Canadian dollars. I'm tempted to buy a box of cards while I'm here if there is so much money to win.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ions riding on it left up to 20% to 10% chance is pretty *** that's why.

But it isn't actually chance?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-01-29 13:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Does Kaceytron have a sponsor?
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:52:48
Link | Quote | Reply

There are variables, it isn't actually random at all.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 13:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: Xerath is a shitty champion.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-01-29 13:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 14:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay yeah I'm not even going to argue with you anymore because then you can move this argument to saying that if a taric stun hits someone there is a chance that it results in a kill and a chance that it does not. That's just a bad *** argument.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 14:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay yeah I'm not even going to argue with you anymore because then you can move this argument to saying that if a taric stun hits someone there is a chance that it results in a kill and a chance that it does not. That's just a bad *** argument.
Since his stun is reliable, anything you do strategy wise is also reliable. You can count on it, that's the difference.

This is exactly what Riot is working on removing, so the professional game designers disagree with your argument pretty heavily.
 Asura.Lolserj
By Asura.Lolserj 2015-01-29 14:07:48
Link | Quote | Reply

So cheers, you don't actually have a good argument and have only proven that you have no clue how game balance works. Good job!

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-01-29 14:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

This is why when I play support my ADC hates me ; ;

You see that Taric support thats 5/0/2? Yea that's me >.>
First Page 2 3 ... 570 571 572 ... 577 578 579