PLD Helm
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Siren.Catabolic
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 07:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

did someone a ways back post that drk could prove to be a useful tank? In what situation(against what mob) ever is captain squishy a better tank then every single other job in the game? seriously? lmfao Im not saying drks arent awesome but that comment was like saying sometimes a warrior makes for the best main heal...
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 07:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, for one, PLD and DRK have access to the same amount of enmity gear, barring Burtgang. Both get the same amount of shadows and can cap recast reduction on Ninjutsu. DRK has better hate tools, and can do more damage in a shorter time frame. On top of that, if it came down to blood tanking, DRK can get ALMOST all the same tanking gear that PLD can get, even though you can pretty much take that out of the equation because blood-tanking is dead anyway.

For tanking stats that matter,
PLD = DRK in Enmity
PLD = DRK in Haste
DRK > PLD in Hate tools
DRK > PLD in damage done.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 07:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

lets be honest. when you did play this game. if you were in a situation where you could pick either a drk or a pld to tank. youre telling me you ever picked the drk? kk
 Bismarck.Altar
Server: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-07-25 08:01:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You're a bit out of your league here Catabolic.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 08:02:32
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK tanking obviously isn't for everything, but considering I had both PLD and DRK to 75, I can honestly say I'd take a DRK tank for anything that doesn't have a high chance of killing you. Behemoth/Fafnir/Adamantoise/King Behemoth/Nidhogg/Aspidochelone come to mind. I did Nyzul all the time in a trio of DRK/SAM, RDM/BLM, BRD/WHM, so admittedly I had a lot of practice with it.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 08:08:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Altar said:

cause someone doesn't have those jobs at 75 they have no game experience? I didn't see you answer the question. Someones only taking a drk cause a pld, nin, or even sam isn't around. i didn't say drk was a bad job. its an awesome DD. that's it though. its a dd.
 Phoenix.Rajaaz
Server: Phoenix
user: Kindle
By Phoenix.Rajaaz 2010-07-25 08:10:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The PLD Helm on Phoenix sucks.
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-07-25 08:15:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:
Bismarck.Altar said:

cause someone doesn't have those jobs at 75 they have no game experience? I didn't see you answer the question. Someones only taking a drk cause a pld, nin, or even sam isn't around. i didn't say drk was a bad job. its an awesome DD. that's it though. its a dd.

I didn't say that because you don't have the job @ 75, I said it because you're clearly uninformed. Enternius just gave you a quick outline of why Drk makes a good tank.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 08:23:52
Link | Quote | Reply

that's the only viable situation drk could tank in from everything in game i can think of. but even in a situation like nyzul. Pld is out and nin cant do the dmg a sam or drk can. If you can choose between a sam with tank gear or a drk with tank gear. would you choose a drk over sam? im not knocking drk. just saying se in no way made it with intentions of it being a tank.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-25 08:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:
that's the only viable situation drk could tank in from everything in game i can think of.
I'd say anything shy of Sandworm (or higher) could be DRK-tanked, fairly efficiently. Keep in mind DRK is practically a PLD with more enmity generation and more damage output, for even more enmity gain over time. The only times where I'd truly require to be PLD over DRK would be in situations where a DRK would be literally killed in one hit while a PLD would survive. And even then, DRK has a lot of PDT- gear, as already stated.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-07-25 08:38:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Catabolic said:
that's the only viable situation drk could tank in from everything in game i can think of. but even in a situation like nyzul. Pld is out and nin cant do the dmg a sam or drk can. If you can choose between a sam with tank gear or a drk with tank gear. would you choose a drk over sam? im not knocking drk. just saying se in no way made it with intentions of it being a tank.

Is NIN a tank?

Yeah, SE didn't mean for that either.

The game doesn't give a damn what SE wanted. It has mechanics that allow us to do what we please when we understand them.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-07-25 09:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Since the enmity nerf on sleep/dispel etc DRK tanking has basically died (along with RDM/NIN and NIN/DRK).
 Fenrir.Eneas
Server: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2010-07-25 11:17:31
Link | Quote | Reply

the other day in abyssea party i witnessed ppl fighting over adaman barbuta..
i was like "wtf! are you seriously bitching over this 10k worthless helmet guys?!"

Now.

i know that there are people that dont have access to many endgame stuff but the iron ram helm is not that difficult to obtain if you did campaign and that alone is better than AB.

No excuses in my book of not having that (if you level paladin just start do campaign 65+ and is easy to get-if you didnt do it start getting medals and AN now).
 Leviathan.Novax
Server: Leviathan
user: Novax
By Leviathan.Novax 2010-07-25 11:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

were they arguing over cure potency+ helms?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-25 11:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Might have been a Cure Potency+ or Regen helm, see those a lot in the chests with augmented items.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-07-25 12:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Novax said:
were they arguing over cure potency+ helms?
I think they were fighting over this:

Used for melee'ing Orc NMs in Dynamis
 Fenrir.Eneas
Server: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2010-07-25 12:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

oh sorry then.. my bad i eat what i just said