Forum » FFXIV » News » Life In Eorzea - Episode #1
Life In Eorzea - Episode #1
 Sylph.Kyarutaru
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kyarutaru
By Sylph.Kyarutaru 2010-03-31 14:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The "Oh! Hamburger!" part made me lol (English translation that someone posted is pretty accurate)
[+]
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-03-31 14:19:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the graphics looked pretty good for an early beta of the game.
[+]
 Alexander.Dukuji
Server: Alexander
user: Dukuji
By Alexander.Dukuji 2010-03-31 15:36:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to catch all out hell for saying this but, personally, it's just FFXI.2 so far. I know it's early to make even minor conclusions but I really feel like it's just an updated version of FFXI. So far the scant game play we've seen shows us similar architecture, layout, races, mobs, crafting (even the crafting signs look the same), emotes (I saw the /panic tarutaru dance), partying setup, etc, etc, etc. It's also a very likely situation where I am viewing this through the eyes of a bias FFXI player; of which I would be guilty. Some things I'm sure will be different (a mini map here, a new way to use your mp, no galka tail, a new skin tone, new names for the races, etc.) but overall? I believe 95% of the people out there (my made up opinionated number) are just initially blinded so far by the fairly nice graphics when it's compared to FFXI. I know SE has stated they wanted FFXIV to be "familiar" to FFXI players but, will it be all too familiar I wonder...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-31 16:22:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Dukuji, this is video was a big yawn for me. I hope they have more in store than salt particles and fish in an aquarium.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-03-31 16:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
I agree with Dukuji, this is video was a big yawn for me. I hope they have more in store than salt particles and fish in an aquarium.

yea srsly

I hope running animation for tarus is placeholder that stuff looks HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE

still in alpha stage so cool. but yeah cmon they are going over the top with damn crafting. They need to start talking about something else.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-03-31 17:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, the only way to level up is salting things and staring at fish in aquariums.
[+]
By Eirinne 2010-03-31 17:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:

yea srsly

I hope running animation for tarus is placeholder that stuff looks HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE

still in alpha stage so cool. but yeah cmon they are going over the top with damn crafting. They need to start talking about something else.

looks like they just made a better version of FFXI? I mean, that really just looked like a cleaner and more detailed bastok.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-03-31 17:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

There isn't really anything in the video besides emotes and some crafting animations. I don't see how anyone can start fabricating any idea that it's even remotely similar to ffxi at this point, lulz @ speculation just like after the announcement about the level cap, it's just as empty :/

That being said, I wanna see some gameplay! The stuff at gamescon was pathetic, looked like the people playing had no idea what they were doing lol.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-03-31 20:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You all are a bunch of pecimistic naysayers. I personally was hoping for a different version of FFXI, and that's what it looks like. It's pretty, I enjoy the movement and character animation, and I like lots of the minor additions I've seen so far. But I am going to withhold my judgement until I either partake in the beta or play the game and get to see the finished product.

[+]
 Phoenix.Jovant
Server: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2010-03-31 20:54:51
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like u can really do last & first names... or at least space it out @.@;
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-03-31 21:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Quote:
I thought the graphics looked pretty good for an early beta of the game.

First, they didn't even start alpha testing so it's not beta. Second, it's extremely rare that a game get a graphic upgrade after entering alpha/beta testing phases.

When entering those phase it's for debuging the mechanics of the game, so basicaly this would be pretty much what you are getting.

Don't take me wrong, the graphics looks good and the game looks ok I guess. I'm not hyped about it, I see a clear lack of efforts into trying to be original.

It's actually pretty common for visuals to be upgraded because the optimized game client will be capable of a lot more. Uncharted 2's alpha looked like it belonged on the PS2 but it ended up being one of, if not the best looking console game to date.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-04-01 06:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont know if anyone have posted this. The official FFXIV youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/finalfantasyxiv
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [51 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Cerelyn
Server: Asura
By Asura.Cerelyn 2010-05-22 03:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

This is simply eyecandy. Im more curious on how the gameplay/content gonna be like. So far, it just another wow copy to me.
By semimmortal 2010-05-22 10:31:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Cerelyn said:
This is simply eyecandy. Im more curious on how the gameplay/content gonna be like. So far, it just another wow copy to me.
I hope this won't get taken out again...

There was a better channel by Leakerz showing the gameplay so far (from the guilds, travels, etc).
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-05-22 10:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i would record myself, but i don't feel like loosing my ability to work on the alpha. this video must have been done during this week's testing.
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-05-22 10:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I can't wait to find out more about the Leveling system and "Attribute Point" thing.

Class Specializations {Yes Please!}

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-05-22 10:55:56
Link | Quote | Reply

that archer is also in the wrong position and not to mention slow.

he would be making more damage shooting from behind.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2010-05-22 11:39:01
Link | Quote | Reply

That looks so god damn cluttered. I hope that ***is customizable.
[+]
 Leviathan.Duvessa
Server: Leviathan
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-22 11:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Dukuji said:
So far the scant game play we've seen shows us similar architecture, layout, races, mobs, crafting (even the crafting signs look the same), emotes (I saw the /panic tarutaru dance), partying setup, etc, etc, etc.

This guy raises a very good point. They're so just recycling mobs and architecture, etc etc from FFXI! Reusing the same things is unheard of in final fantasy games... They're all unique in their mob designs and architecture.

Oh Hey there AvatarsFlansPuddingsChocobosMooglesCactuarsElementalsGoblinsRaptorsEtc! I'm so surprised to see you again... This is only like the 10th Final Fantasy you've been in in a row!

As for the architecture, FF games have always used semi-realistic structures for buildings. Some obviously contain elements of fantasy and sometimes even sci-fi, but in the end the core structures typically follows basic architectural layouts. Sure, the building may be flying or underwater, but in terms of design and layout they typically follow one of the real-world cultural designs and/or layouts. I thought everyone knew that almost all final fantasy games design aspects were all based off of real-world stuff and mythology.

But... I must agree, ff14 is looking a little boring so far based off the leaked footage. If combat isn't at least 10x that speed in the retail release then I won't bother picking up a new MMO until 2012.
 Carbuncle.Katsukehideki
user: Katsuke
By Carbuncle.Katsukehideki 2010-05-22 11:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If you've read anything, anywhere on the game, you would know that it is completely customizable.
 Fenrir.Xeonerable
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Xeonerable 2010-05-22 11:50:35
Link | Quote | Reply

same ***different textures? D:
 Sylph.Seriin
Server: Sylph
user: Seriin
By Sylph.Seriin 2010-05-22 12:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
They're so just recycling mobs and architecture, etc etc from FFXI! Reusing the same things is unheard of in final fantasy games... They're all unique in their mob designs and architecture.

Did you not play 12? Much of 12 was taken right out of 11. Some of the auto-attack animations, a few monster designs as well as monster animations. Mandies in 12 were the exact same as mandies in 11 :P

And let's not forget the early FFs, where monsters were recycled from game to game. Hell, stuff gets palette swapped and reused in the same game.