FFXI LGBT Community, Who Are You?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » FFXI LGBT Community, who are you?
FFXI LGBT Community, who are you?
First Page 2 3 ... 1504 1505 1506 1507
 Odin.Meinnii
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Leithe
By Odin.Meinnii 2016-11-09 17:14:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I live in the middle of no where, so I don't really have a circle, and asexual people like me are sometimes not even included in LGBT communities. I do know that "***" is a term that not everybody appreciates, although I have no problems with it.

ETA: Q is for questioning as far as I know? I is for intersex, and A is supposed to be Asexual/Aromatic, but a lot of people still want it to be for Allies (which is a concern for Ace peoples).
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-09 17:24:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I often saw double-Qs as it was meant for both, but who can keep up with the acronyms anymore when basically LGBT+ has become "anything that isn't hetero-normative."
[+]
By Verda 2016-11-09 17:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The label isn't even that important to me but I do think it's important to make anyone feel included that wishes to be, I don't keep up with the label either but it's mostly because I'm not super plugged into any communities for it, when you live in a divided rural state, even associating with anything can be suicide to your community life which some rightfully toss aside, while others of us try to keep the peace in a divided family.

Odin.Meinnii said: »
and asexual people like me are sometimes not even included in LGBT communities
I won't deny there's groups of gays that hate bisexauls, asexuals, or bi's that hate anyone not like them and so on no group is immune to it, but the reason for the correlation to conservatism and racism, sexism and discrimination is so strong is it is often prevalent in rural areas at least in my experience, pair that with a lot of the statements Trump made and his vice president and it's really hard to say there is no correlation. I'm actually a swing voter not a democrat, and have friends on both sides, however my post recognizes the travesty I feel is this election which I find odd is completely paged without one comment or mention, if not totally disheartening.
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: mikuu
By Hatsune Miku 2016-11-09 18:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope I can marry my GF before the redjustice becomes a thing.

I've been super depressed today.
By Verda 2016-11-09 18:24:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I hope you feel better, as corny as it may sound, perhaps at least in that they can't prevent your love for each other. The depressed feeling is something I definitely relate to and I thin many do.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-09 18:35:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If it helps alleviate any of the worry, marriage equality can't be reversed as easily as simply appointing one (or two or three -.-) new justices. SCOTUS doesn't review it's own decisions meaning that new case has to be presented to them. They then have to agree to hear arguments on it and new arguments not present in the old case have to be presented. The court then has to release a decision on why these arguments justify a new decision.

None of this is insurmountable of course but it's not at all a trivial process. It's why the court rarely reverses their decisions.
[+]
By Verda 2016-11-09 18:50:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not worried for a reversal as much as new legislation or a new case which makes a decision that has very bad implications for the LGBT+ community.

That is still some comfort though Pleebo thank you. I did know it is hard to reverse decisions but not the details. A new law could prohibit or change their decision for them though and all three branches are republican now so getting stuff done by them is something that will probably happen.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-09 20:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
If it helps alleviate any of the worry, marriage equality can't be reversed as easily as simply appointing one (or two or three -.-) new justices. SCOTUS doesn't review it's own decisions meaning that new case has to be presented to them. They then have to agree to hear arguments on it and new arguments not present in the old case have to be presented. The court then has to release a decision on why these arguments justify a new decision.

None of this is insurmountable of course but it's not at all a trivial process. It's why the court rarely reverses their decisions.

this is what I have been telling people today. a new case showing how marriage equality is somehow hurting the plaintiffs would have to travel through the court system. meanwhile the executive orders regarding nondiscrimination in federal hiring as well as a few other things are fair game.
 Odin.Meinnii
Server: Odin
user: Leithe
By Odin.Meinnii 2016-11-11 08:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly how does marriage equality hurt people? >.> Unless you're the sort of person that's only happy when others are unhappy, which is a sad state of existence to begin with.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2016-11-11 08:53:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't, he's not saying it does just that if they want to undo it they'd have to find a reason first then slog through the courts.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-11-11 09:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

fillerbunny9 said: »
this is what I have been telling people today. a new case showing how marriage equality is somehow hurting the plaintiffs would have to travel through the court system. meanwhile the executive orders regarding nondiscrimination in federal hiring as well as a few other things are fair game.

I think this should concern people much more than marriage equality.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-11 10:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Rydal said: »

the executive orders affect a significantly smaller portion of the populace (basically, government workers exclusively) whereas marriage equality grants an umbrella of over 1000 rights and privileges to those couples. the loss of anti-discrimination in hiring for federal employees regarding LGBT folks would suck, as would the other little things Obama did to recognize that we're actual people, but marriage is simultaneously safer and a bit more valuable to the populace as a whole.

what I would (and am) worried about is allowance/emboldened efforts to discriminate against us with regards to housing, employment, kids getting thrown into conversion therapy, being attacked for trying to take a piss in a public bathroom, etc. you know, the day to day that affects all LGBT folks. my (almost) 26 year old sister is straight, but very much a tomboy. SHE'S having to deal with hateful comments etc as well.

what a time to be alive! /sarcasm
[+]
By Verda 2016-11-11 11:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

And also

Possibly the worst one I saw:

Not trying to stir fear with these but it might be best for anyone concerned to stay at home a while until those the election gave feelings of vindication and consequential vindictiveness by hateful people isn't so fresh, stay safe :(
By Viciouss 2016-11-11 11:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

That's very sad.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rydal
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-11-11 11:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

what I would (and am) worried about is allowance/emboldened efforts to discriminate against us with regards to housing, employment, kids getting thrown into conversion therapy, being attacked for trying to take a piss in a public bathroom, etc. you know, the day to day that affects all LGBT folks.

This is what I meant. Marriage is a small pebble in the ocean of what could be to come. It doesn't protect against things that could disrupt life at the most basic levels (jobs, safety, housing, etc). Not just LGBT, but all minorities. It's scary to think about really.
 Sylph.Dravidian
Server: Sylph
user: Eliseus
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-11-11 11:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.phillyvoice.com/police-no-official-report-ugly-racial-incident-del-gas-station/

Quote:
That post has since been deleted. In its place: a Thursday morning update noting that “charges were filed, fugitives were caught. Yes I (know) names and no I will not release them.”
Quote:
Spokespersons for the Delaware State Police (which oversees Kent County), New Castle County police, Dover police and Smyrna police all said they had no such reports, either.

Quote:
Corporal Brian Donner, who’d been in touch with representatives of various agencies when the post started making the social media rounds, said there are no records of calls to 911 and the non-emergency line in his jurisdiction.

Quote:
We are aware of the circulating post involving a woman who was allegedly harassed/menaced at a gas station. We can tell you that this incident, if it occurred in Smyrna Delaware, has not been reported to our agency. We understand that this person has stated via social media that she has filed charges against the perpetrators. We again want to stress that we, the Smyrna Police Department have no record of this incident. We ask that all questions/comments/concerns be addressed to the social media user who made this post, and/or the police agency she reported this incident to.

Quote:
Attempts to reach Boyer via Facebook was unsuccessful on Thursday, and a phone number found via Google search wasn't working.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-11-11 11:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.snopes.com/muslim-woman-told-to-hang-herself-with-hijab-at-walmart/

Quote:
Gawad has not responded to our request for an interview. Police in her community (which we will not reveal to protect her safety) said they had not been contacted regarding such an encounter.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 12:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not saying that racism or homophobia doesn't exist in America, but all these outbreaks of racism that's going up on twitter and other social media outlets....well...reminds me of that rape story ran by the Rolling Stones a few years back.

You know, the one that ended up being completely fabricated just to push an agenda.
[+]
 Sylph.Dravidian
By Sylph.Dravidian 2016-11-11 12:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well obviously it exists, but people shouldn't be gullable to so many claims. Not only will police do their jobs to find X subjects if reported, but the elections just ended and it is probably safe to assume anyone on the losing may not be mentally fully there. I don't mean offense to that, but here is an interesting study on the matter.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-experimental-political-science/article/losing-hurts-the-happiness-impact-of-partisan-electoral-loss/AE498D25C75E6DCFC1D153D241C77E46

Quote:
Partisan identity shapes social, mental, economic, and physical life. Using a novel dataset, we study the consequences of partisan identity by examining the immediate impact of electoral loss and victory on happiness and sadness. Employing a quasi-experimental regression discontinuity model we present two primary findings. First, elections strongly affect the immediate happiness/sadness of partisan losers, but minimally impact partisan winners. This effect is consistent with psychological research on the good-bad hedonic asymmetry, but appears to dissipate within a week after the election. Second, the immediate happiness consequences to partisan losers are relatively strong. To illustrate, we show that partisans are affected two times more by their party losing the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election than both respondents with children were to the Newtown shootings and respondents living in Boston were to the Boston Marathon bombings. We discuss implications regarding the centrality of partisan identity to the self and its well-being.

Ultimately I hope for safety for you all :(.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Littleanimal
user: Beanie
By Ragnarok.Littleanimal 2016-11-11 12:15:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Not saying that racism or homophobia doesn't exist in America, but all these outbreaks of racism that's going up on twitter and other social media outlets....well...reminds me of that rape story ran by the Rolling Stones a few years back.

You know, the one that ended up being completely fabricated just to push an agenda.

What sort of agenda? why's it always gotta be an "agenta's" with people lol and you say "outbreaks" as if this stuff has been going on recently, just because this stuff gets your attention now doesn't give you the right to dismiss all it as fabricated. Believe what you want because your opinion and my opinion doesn't really matter when it's affecting someone not you or I.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 12:40:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Littleanimal said: »

What sort of agenda? why's it always gotta be an "agenta's" with people lol and you say "outbreaks" as if this stuff has been going on recently, just because this stuff gets your attention now doesn't give you the right to dismiss all it as fabricated. Believe what you want because your opinion and my opinion doesn't really matter when it's affecting someone not you or I.
That we must focus more on something that only affects 1% of the country and less on something that affects 99% of the country.

Like the so-called "rape culture" in colleges vs. unemployment in the nation. Just as an example. Hell, if we really want to do something, let's do something about rape in general and not just in colleges.

Again, not saying that rape doesn't exist in colleges, but it's not to the extent listed in that article. Don't make ***up to push a point, actually investigate and show evidence of events happening.
By Verda 2016-11-11 12:48:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Occam's razor wants to have a word with you. The simplest explanation is Trump says racist stuff, that even the KKK identifies with and loves and his election has made them feel empowered and right. Dismissal is one of the things I see people here not wanting to admit or face the reality of it or what their votes do too. In the face of things like this, tax rates, big/small government, and other platform issues are null and void and if conservatives want to be morally sound while maintaining their political views they have to openly condemn hate itself. Racism and homophobia is already strongly correlated to conservatism, if you value conservative political theory and business first philosophy and every man responsible for himself and dismiss racism and hate speech then you're part of the reason it stays tied together. Unfortunately I see most conservatives make excuses and apologies for this kind of stuff, or claim things like false information or left agenda instead of calling hate out as hate and condemning it. If you want to do your part, that is it. Unfortunately conservatism involves a lot of pining for the past, and the past is full of things such as racism, sexism and homophobia that doesn't mean those are the parts of the past all conservatives or maybe even most want but if you don't condemn those things then... You can't have unity in a country where one group hates another, especially when one group tends to hate everyone but themselves. I fully expect this election to divide the country even further, as hate won and hatred divides. I think I had my fill of forum posting for a good long while :( Stay safe and be careful is what I wanted to spread. I expect hate crime rate to go nothing but up.
 Fenrir.Schutz
Server: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2016-11-11 12:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, I take anything anecdotal from social media with a grain of salt and skepticism. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven blatantly incorrect, but I still view them simply for what they are--personal anecdotes.

It's unfortunate that we have to, especially if such events would serve to generate positive awareness of a social inequity, but sadly with high-profile reports like the 'Gay Girl in Damascus' blog or the Dayna Morales situation, confirmed false or sensationalised reporting only creates more ill-will and undermines credibility for those actually facing such problems, IMHO. :/
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 13:07:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
instead of calling hate out as hate and condemning it.
It's not that. It's that we want to condemn something that actually happened, not knee-jerk some story that ends up being false or sensationalized.
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-11 15:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

some of us are already getting a large uptick in it personally. I hardly find it coincidental.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 16:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

some of us are already getting a large uptick in it personally. I hardly find it coincidental.
Right now the bigots out there are feeling bold because Trump won, and they need to be taken down a few notches.

But it needs to happen factually. Faking articles and events to bring awareness is hurting the cause more than helping, because now people are questioning "did this really happen?"
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-11 16:43:17
Link | Quote | Reply

therein lies the issue, though. I could say there were swastikas spray painted along the walkway of a bridge about half a mile away from my house, but anyone who isn't here will just as easily say "oh, you're just making ***up."
By fillerbunny9 2016-11-11 17:03:44
Link | Quote | Reply

what I would (and am) worried about is allowance/emboldened efforts to discriminate against us with regards to housing, employment, kids getting thrown into conversion therapy, being attacked for trying to take a piss in a public bathroom, etc. you know, the day to day that affects all LGBT folks.

This is what I meant. Marriage is a small pebble in the ocean of what could be to come. It doesn't protect against things that could disrupt life at the most basic levels (jobs, safety, housing, etc). Not just LGBT, but all minorities. It's scary to think about really.

here's the thing, we've never been safe there. those things I mentioned are all concerns depending on where you live in the country, because "states rights" or whatever.

(Edit because that quoted weird)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-11 17:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

therein lies the issue, though. I could say there were swastikas spray painted along the walkway of a bridge about half a mile away from my house, but anyone who isn't here will just as easily say "oh, you're just making ***up."
Even worse, you could show a picture of it and somebody could easily counter: "How do we know you didn't do it yourself?"
First Page 2 3 ... 1504 1505 1506 1507