Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Design Outside the Box
Design Outside the Box
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
Game: FFXI
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-21 22:16:50
Link | Quote | Reply

*** PopCap games, lol My Mom and Aunt play Bejeweled Twist like it's going out of style.

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
I have to wonder if the rise of MMOs has had a negative impact on non-online titles.

I started playing ffxi about a year ago. Since then, I've bought a grand total of one non-ffxi related game. When i'm spending time levelling on a game that isn't ffxi, i just end up feeling like i should be levelling my "real" character.

Of course, my experience probably isn't the norm.
Not sure if it's the norm or not, but my console-based gaming crashed sharply after I was about 6 months into XI and never really picked back up until I started playing XI really casually or not at all. Furthermore, despite buying RPGs because I love them, I find most of my console gaming is based around action, adventure, platform and FPS.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-02-22 00:34:56
Link | Quote | Reply

This is completely ridiculous (imo). I mean it kinda scares me because I am currently starting a BA in Game&Simulation Programming and I mean I know I've got a little job security, because the more technology/machines that are invented will mean a higher demand for programmers yatta-yatta-yatta...but I really wanted to get into the hardcore game design stuff, but after reading all this junk, and watching the videos, (I am disgusted at EA) people seem to be easily appealed to games that it only takes a couple seconds to dive into versus the process of waiting for a game, driving to the store, buying it, bringing it home, putting it in the system, setting up necessary controls/visuals/sound, and finally enjoying the game. (Society is so fkin lazy nowadays its stupid)

Perhaps that is a big reason people are appealed to these games (ease of access). The downside I see to these SO CALLED GAMES (I don't even think they should even be considered games) is that they require internet access compared to purchased games; but I guess that is another stage we are moving into(?). (probably a discussion for another thread)

Perhaps is the ease of how these games are set up, you only need a couple controls and you're done, you don't need to look at the game manual so you know what button does what. These SO CALLED GAMES don't require any strategy where you have to enter a thought process. (varying by age)

Yeah, games that are easily comprehensible with simple controls (I mean compare the NES controller to the XBOX360's...4buttons + d-pad versus 11 buttons + 2 joysticks + d-pad) and only require 10-20minutes a day on the game to progress farther(further?) on it than you can with just about any other game is something that people like; PLUS you don't have to worry about going out and buying a memory card (guess that doesn't pertain the these newer consoles...gogo internal HDDs) because all your data is saved on the companies servers.

I honestly hope that the traditional console games have a great big comeback. But that is coming from a regular-basis gamer, I am sure the lesser-gamers outnumber the regular-basis gamers but.../sob. I doubt regular games will die out completely, but after watching that video I think we have a new member of the endangered species(eh?) list: "Good games" (sure that could have been said years ago with the release of shitty games *coughHalocough*) I am talking about games that required a team to put together a storyline that will turn heads and whatnot versus these cheesy 3rd rate graphics and gameplay/story-board(if any) designed by a 2 year-old. (must have been a violent 2 year-old if they came up with MafiaWars...)

crap I wrote a lot...I will shut up, post this, go to bed, and read your responses tomorrow. goodnight
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-03-14 22:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw this picture recently and was kind of shocked about the statistics I remember Jaerik quoting in this thread regarding Blizzards' losses. How the ***. The upkeep costs are equally ridiculous, but not to be profiting is unbelievable. I get that Blizzard isn't -just- WoW, but still, shocking.

I liked Beel's point about equal game pricing across the board as well, I'd be much more open to purchases if every game wasn't a $60 committment that Gamestop would later screw me on. lol
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-03-14 23:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Erim said:
Asura.Artemicion said:
Couldn't agree more with that comic.

You might agree with it, but the change is impossible to stop. :P

Great games don't make money anymore because our expectations have become too high and they cost too much to make now.

Make way for the "casual"!

Does anyone else hate the terms "casual" and "hardcore"? Calling anything I like hardcore makes me feel like a pretentious retard.

I agree, I prefer the terms substituted as "Abortions" and "Artistic". That's not any more pretentious is it?!
Games I actually do consider art have to unify the pillars of other art, in combination with the trademark interactivity that makes gaming a separate experience. For me, there is no line between Casual/Hardcore/whatever.

-Style (Art direction)
-Sound Design (Music and sound effects)
-Writing (Doesn't necessarily mean a good story)

The dividing line between quality is how well the pillars are blended with each other, and with the interactivity of gaming as a whole.

Generally "Social" games lack anything at the writing stage, as they have no coherent motivation other than "HAY CHECK THIS OUT" and thus do not qualify as what I would call artistic expression. But it's a case by case evaluation. Imperfection is an integral part of artistic design, and you cannot lump everything up in a group by going down a checklist.

The most important thing I've had to come to terms with as a gamer, is acknowledging that my chosen favorite art (Games are art deal with it) is that it is a commercial art and at the mercy of the economy more so than any other form, except MAYBE films.

And now I sound like a hippy liberal ***.