Final Fantasy 13 - A Viewpoint From Both Sides.

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Final Fantasy 13 - A viewpoint from both sides.
Final Fantasy 13 - A viewpoint from both sides.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-04-02 04:21:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You get quite a few auto-items <_< you get Tetradic Crown from a boss, Blessed Talisman from one of the spheres etc etc.

All I'm saying is that it's not the game's fault that you upgraded the accessories. They're still useful, just not gamebreaking.
 Garuda.Xanthos
Server: Garuda
user: xanthos1
By Garuda.Xanthos 2010-04-02 12:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

This is basically how FF14 is going to be with upgrading weapons and changing styles in combat and the game was fun enjoy.
 Bahamut.Evilswine
Server: Bahamut
user: Evilswine
By Bahamut.Evilswine 2010-04-02 13:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Cecilharvey said:
The problem is, who wxant to play a game for like 15~20h before having the fun of it ?

/ but i, for my part, already had >some< fun in the earlier part, the REAL love part was pulse. at first i also was like "wtf, thats not FF anymore ; ;", but damn... i was wrong.

Quote:
i could mentions alot of them, like the evolution system, who will shell out 60k CP for an augment of 10 HP ?

this can be EASILY done while farming adamans for money. 1 kill gets you 80k CP. i was able to save up 4m gil and cap out on all 6 jobs at the same time.
Quote:
you really feel idiot, because you just thrown away somes important gils to make a totaly useless accesory !

Saving/Loading the game when you do such things will save you a lot of headache

So i (note: this and the above is all my personal opinion of the game and no one should see him/herself forced to feel like me) really love the game, especially after the ff12 fail and my ff11 boredom.
It can be a boring and disappointing game in the beginning, but everyone who wants to give it a shot and just play through me first 20 hours will not be disappointed.

i'm at 90 hours so far and still dont want to stop.

i totally understand everyone who says that he wont go through the borish~ parts though

It will still stay a game which some people will like and some wont
[+]
 Asura.Despayn
Server: Asura
user: Parhelia
By Asura.Despayn 2010-04-02 13:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Game was amazing. Everything I expected it to be. Probably because I loved FFX, even though X isn't my favorite (neither is XIII, IX will always win in my book).

The fact that the game is "linear" for the most part of the game can be easily ignored. The only thing this affected is the replay value, and that's it. Doesn't mean I'll never play it again, just means I won't play it again for quite some time.

The last boss was challenging if you didn't use the Poison trick (which I did my first time around because I wanted to see the ending). The character development is the best in the series, and cannot be beat. The cast of characters is phenomenal. Even though Hope is annoying as *** towards the beginning, his development really shines towards the end.

The zones are simply breath-taking and the music is among the best in the series. Arychlte Steppe is just so many orgasms firing at once. Sulyya Springs, and even the Sunleth Waterscape (to name a few). Even zones with absolutely no significance are amazing. The FMVs are amazing and really help the develop the storyline further. It seems Square Enix really wanted to focus on story more so than game play, since the storyline for XII sucked so much ***, but the game play was amazing.

THE ONLY disappointment for me in this game was the ending. For a game with so much potential, a six minute long ending did not satisfy me one bit. It still left too many endings, and if they are trying to lean towards a sequel, I really REALLY hope they don't. I really loved X-2 because of its gameplay, but the game itself sucked way too much. It's hard to get back into it, and its hard for me to not get into any Final Fantasy.

Eidolons are pretty much worthless towards the beginning, but get so much better towards the ending. The Crystarium system took the best out of X and made it better. Restricting development was actually a good thing. At first I thought it was gonna be meh, but this doesn't allow for grinding towards the beginning, which is simply amazing. It lets me focus on the story more so than worrying about developing my characters, which is a huge plus.

There are plenty of cities in Cocoon. Shame the only two you get to venture through fully are Palumpolom and Nautilus, but it makes sense. You're fugitives of Cocoon, and Cocoon's technology is very advanced. Why would you want to go walking around shopping and talking to NPCs (who know who you are and hate you because you're l'Cie) when your life's in danger? They were running away. Not only that, they were trying to beat the clock before they turned into Cie'th. Anyone who complains about not being able to explore and what not is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Over-all I give the game 8/10. It'd be a 10/10 if the ending was better (yes, endings are a huge deal to me, which is why I rank IX as the best).

If you liked FFX but hate this game, then I don't understand. One of the only few side-quests FFX has pre-Calm Lands is Blitzball. Final Fantasy X, like XIII, opens up at the Calm Lands, which is roughly about the same time it takes for XIII to get to the Archylte Steppe, where side quests open up.

I personally loved X. And I definitely loved XIII.
[+]
 Bismarck.Hisagi
Server: Bismarck
user: junpei87
By Bismarck.Hisagi 2010-04-02 13:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I enjoyed a lot FF13 broke the 100h of play lol, almost got all archiviements.
At start is linear of course but there is any game that is alredy awsome at start?
I liked every cutscene and the story was worth buying it.
[+]
 Garuda.Xanthos
Server: Garuda
user: xanthos1
By Garuda.Xanthos 2010-04-07 04:03:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Never heard of the poison trick i just staggered the last boss and got the superstar tittle 5 star rating first time through and yeah the ending sucked so much wish all 6 were toghether instead of vanille and fang crystal im still trying to beat mark 64 he's tough as hell
[+]
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2010-04-07 05:25:20
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].
- Completely true

There are hardly any towns.
- Also completely true

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].
- It's not always fixed, around chapter 10 you can actually change who's in your party (though admitedly this is an unnessary delay)

There are rather a lot of movies.
- I enjoyed them personally, but some people won't

Moving around is like a long marathon.
- Sitting in a chair is like sitting in a chair, I'm not sure what the complaint is here

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.
- It's a step in the wrong direction from FFX, I think, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a clone. There's alot there to tell the two apart, and it's all pretty apparent.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].
- Not true, you can press the start button and choose to "reset", which puts back just outside the mob's agro range. You can easily avoid alot of monsters though your best option is to try not to avoid anything. It's very grind-orientated.

Your party is completely healed after each battle.
- This is true, and due to the mechanics of the battle system, it's pretty nessesary. Is there's no MP, pausing the game to heal your characters and using no resources would just be a waste of time. Personally I didn't mind this change.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].
- This annoyed me alot initially, I'd of preferred that if your party leader died a new leader was assigned instead. However on a second playthrough, providing you know what to expect from the monster you're about to face, chances are you can arrange your party accordingly and have alot more success. There is also more often than not 3 characters in play, and they are not fixed after chapter 10 or so.

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.
- I disagree with this. There is alot of strategy but it's more on picking the best "paradigm" for the monster you're facing. Most people (myself included) usually pick a DD as there leader, and so yes, seeing as they're there to do damage, everything you do will be to damage the monster. You can easily change the leader to someone else if you don't want to attack. Besides that, there are different ways to attack which produce different effects on the monster (either reducing HP directly or indirectly by staggering the mob first).

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].
- Yeah, they were pretty crap. I hardly ever use them.

The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]
- I enjoyed it, but it's not as polished as some of the other FF's.

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.
- Completely true, but with no towns in the game, there's obviously not going to be any shops.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].
- Money can be made providing you know where to look for it. And the items you're given are meant to be upgraded, not simply replaced as with previous FF's.

There have been next to no changes from the demo.
- Can't say, never played it. But from my experience of FF demo's, there's rarely much difference.

The status screen displays no real information.
- True, the stats are very simplified so there's no real need for much more information. You have MP, Strength, Magic. Everything else is augmented by the equipment you have.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].
- There are HUNDREDS of items, as I said earlier, equipment is meant to be upgraded into better items, not simply replaced.

There are no levels.
- Not strictly true. You can simply think of the role levels on the Crystarium Board as being very detailed way of developing individual levels.

I imagine people with these complaints are those (like me) that rushed through the story on their first play through. If they take more time on the second play, it's a much more enjoyable experience, and although the game is still fairly linear, there is alot of content in there to contradict most of these complaints.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-04-07 22:25:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Xanthos said:
Spoilers
***, say spoilers or something ***.
By Matteh 2010-04-08 14:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, this is my opinion, after reading most opinions about this game all the way through page 1-3 all of the reviews seem pretty much the same but worded differently.

Aside as to whats alredy been over talked pros and cons to the game and having the game since day 1.

I have to admit, i've gotten kinda bored with it. Made it to chapter 11, on the Orphans Stage and warping back to areas to basicly build up my characters. Thats the boring part.

The Side quest better known as "Missions' in this ff title. They're alright. Not the best, no real point to them. They're just 'okay'. Maybe a little annoying. reason i say they're a little annoying is only because some have to be done in order to unlock areas and to get a choco but mainly to unlock areas to get to other places to be able to access more.... you guess it, Missions!.

Aside from side quests, they also added the Choco digging. A little easier this time, like the hot and cold game but he gets a ! point that bounces, the closer, the more and faster it bounces. What the choco digs up, is what it digs up. sometimes its a item you can sell back for lots of gil or just crap.

Battle System. Building your characters up is Like FFX but its not like FFX in the sense you can't switch your team members mid battle. However you can change their 'roles' mid battle. Of course how you do it vs bosses does matter but vs normal mobs, not as much. Even more so if your team is over powered.

The 'upgrade' system. You get to upgrade weapons and acc. Meaning you're only either upgradeing their MATT or ATT or if they have a certain effect, like -% phy dmg or HP+. that gets upgraded as well. Its simple and stright forward like old ff's when its just MATT and ATT and nothing really futher more like INT or MND or CHR or Luck. So when it coms to this, more of the basics.

Earily in the game, its just stright forward run and fight. Not much control on player end. Of course way later that changes, you get more control, able to select your team members and so.

Storyline wise. Not my cup of tea but it could be someone elses. I can't really sum this up considering i don't know how it ends and not really gonna tell how it starts either. However i'd say its not as great as it could of been.

Money + Shops. Money is hard period in the earily parts of the game but if you do every little side quest when you get the chance too. There is a robot you will run in to that gives you rewards based on the tresures you've found (how many that is) and the item's you'll get will be sellable for a butload of gil and this is the time you can buy stuff or upgrade. As for shops, the items in the shops seem to upgrade and change based on what you as the player has found in the game or what you sell to them (thats just the way it seems to me). All shoping and upgradeing is done at save points (oh gawd, these things.) yes, no auto save, gotta click on the old fashion save point. However theres plenty of them in the game. So no worries there about having to 'find one'.

Gil. Choco dig and report back to rebot after x amount of tresures found. get items, sell for more buttload of gil.

Gameplay + Music. Fast and uppace beat? sorta sounds like techno but i'm not a real techno fan but it fits with the game i'd consider well. Not bad or great, just well, a 5/10. The game pretty much stright forward if you wanna skip the whole side quests thing. I think the game was designed to be more stright forward and less time on leveling and more time just going through the game. Everything in the game is fiarly possiable without having to take extra time out to build your team. So the points you earn to build i would say at the least if you choose wisely, is more than enough to build a decent team to pretty much zoom through the game. In the end if you're like me and wanna get all characters maxed out. Its gonna get real boring, real fast.

If you're only of the trophy ppl (i'm sorta one) then this is a game that will keep you busy. Getting all of them won't be easy. Annoying, good chance but easy, not really. So i'd say the challenge is that in the game, getting everything.

My Bottomline.

Its a stright forward basic FF. Eye candy at the very most. Excited to see what future FF's will look on the ps3. So from 0 to 10. I'll give this a 6. Its only because it is alot of movie but not that great of a storyline. Its not like a Xenosaga that has a butt load of movie but great storyline. So if you played Xenosaga, then you'll get the rough idea as to howmuch movie there is in the game.

As for gameplay+allother 4/6. I think they could done a little better for the ps3 version of the graphics. I don;t like too much how the graphs seem to render down for battle but i do like the graphics for when you're just exlporeing the world and can see some of the 'larger' monsters. Its pretty great. Gameplay, just basic. Simple Tactics. Not too hard or easy.

and the last 2 points go to music and anything really newly creative or New to the FF title. I don't see anything new about this FF title other than just the graphics. Slaped together story is okay. Everyone you have as a team will meet eventually. as i mentioned before, some of you may like the story, just don't go based on my taste because we all have different ones. Same goes for music, its sorta like techno but i'm not sure what to really call it anything else but that. So if you're into Techno in to a certain extent, you'll find the music okay.

If i was gonna suggest this FF title in anyway shape or form. I'd suggest it to someone thats new to RPG games because its the basics. Good graphics but the basics. Its not like a FF7 or FF3/6 or FFT. Its a simple Rpg. Sorta like Threads of Fate is a simple RPG.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-04-08 14:38:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Grinding is not boring once you get the Growth Egg. Max out characters in no time.

I still don't see how people say this is a movie. Cutscenes are short as ***.
The gameplay seems simple, but if you have no RPG experience, you'd fail horribly. That or fights would take forever because you'd just use Com/Sen/Med all the time (which bosses in the future *** you sideways by casting Doom/Death if you take too long.)

For the last marks I wish I had more than 6 shifts. I had to change so much every 10 seconds. >.<;
By Altimaomega 2010-04-08 22:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

"waves his hand"
This is not the Final Fantasy game u are looking for..

In all honesty this game aint that bad of a game, IF u dont expect it to be like the older BETTER final fantasy games. I must be getting old but it seems to me if they make the game pretty MOST ppl go "OOOOHHH AHHHHHH" like when they are watching fireworks... then dont care about anything else.

with that said... please please i hope to god the NEXT final fantasy game will be well rounded like the older ones and be worth my time to play.
 Sylph.Iggyplatinum
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Iggyplatinum 2010-04-14 00:20:17
Link | Quote | Reply

With this much 3D invested in a game, it's still a wonder that people complain that the game is too linear. I remember playing certain Final Fantasy titles and wishing that they would lay out the direction in which the party is supposed to be headed so that I wouldn't get stuck somewhere in the game. Thank you for map and legend symbols this time!

Also, although the towns are left out, the environments are more immersive than previous Final Fantasy titles. More fantastic areas than towns are out there, and this Final Fantasy takes you there. Besides, if you're that in need of a town fix to help break your monotany, the people throughout the story still talk if you walk close by to them, so you can hear their inspiring messages.

I finished the game a while ago, and I think that this game is exactly what the PS3 platform needed. This game was really fun, and I wish I could say more about it without spoiling.

I think that Final Fantasy XIII is an obvious evolution of the preceding Final Fantasy titles, and made strong connections with each title. Summons, artwork, music, story, character development, and gameplay are all noteworthy. Finish this one, and then play the previous Final Fantasy titles if you'd like, it's that simple!
 Phoenix.Degs
Server: Phoenix
user: Degs
By Phoenix.Degs 2010-04-14 00:42:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont mind the linear aspect of the game.. i just really couldnt get into it... i felt the story line was stretching towards soemthing without reaching it... also i realize alot of people have said that the leader only control is needed for the fast paced fighting.. however i really hated that aspect of the game.. i always wanted to control the other characters.. and even if it was faced paced... that key point really inhibited me from getting into this game like other ff titles
 Fairy.Belmonth
Server: Fairy
user: Belmonth
By Fairy.Belmonth 2010-04-14 00:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Most of the FF games are linear.... people seems to think they are open world but they are really not, you can sure go trough the world map but there's no where else to go, till it finally unlocks on half/near the end of the game, otherwise there's no point running around the worldmap at the beginning of the games since you are locked to go only where you have to go to.

Example: FFVIII, you are limited to go to fire cavern then back to balamb garden, after locked to go to Dollet, then locked again in balamb garden, after in the part of the train station town you are also locked the whole time, and it finally unlocks on the near the end of the second disc when you get to pilot the garden

FFIX: you are locked the whole start of the game, Evil forest, then in Lindbum, etc and it finally unlocks in the third disc when you get the airship, the only major disctraction is that you can go to the swamp and catch frogs.

FFI and FFVI: were the only ones imo that were open world and you were not limited to do the story progress in order.

Also I do not remember any npcs in FF's that gave you quests, other than like a very few in FFVII, and I do not see a major impact with towns missing, full of useless conversations, story wise it makes sense that you cannot go freely in cities in FFXIII, and even when you do go to town if you aproach to them you can get a small chat from the npc's sometimes talking to you, or just talking with themselves.

Edit: Also I fail to see why FFXIII is grindy I cleared the game just fighting the mobs in my way, and grinded after I finished the game (cleared the game without grind, obviously the crystalium unlocked one more level after you beat it is to continue playing if you enjoy the battle system) to get the trophies and even then it wasn't really grindy cleared the missions, got the growth egg and started killing adamantoises in Eden farming mats for the last upgrade of the weapons with the Highwind method and after Yao Guais then I was maxed and just finished repeating the few monster hunts that I din't have 5 stars.

Also I saw a lot of people complaining about some battles being hard and the game being automatic, and when I watched videos you could see all they did was smash the auto command button so ends in the urge need to grind, the games does make the most obvious best options it thinks, but it never beats yourself doing it manually with even better combination of attacks, I was actually excited when I watched reviews and they said it was hard, because it really wasn't with the exception of a few hunt missions.

My only complain would be that the story felt pretty weak, too centered on main characters and less on the plot, also the secondary villians barely make a show compared to the other FF's and I totally hated Vanille's voice, they tried to aim for the cute voice she had in Japanese but it totally failed.

On a good note, FFXIII versus is getting a world map back old school, not like FFX since a lot of fans seem to have missed it.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-04-14 01:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not a bad game. Just not the game I was looking forward to after all hype. I beat it in 5 days and was more than happy to come back to FF11!!!