Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Concerning Fishing~
Concerning Fishing~
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-23 21:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Does the fishing skill-up rate decrease in frequency and to .1 onry post 60 fishing just like regular crafting?
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-23 22:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I've seen plenty of 0.2 -> 100 screenshots.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-23 22:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-23 23:31:22
Link | Quote | Reply

@.@ yay thats nice.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-23 23:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That being said there are less of them. And I never got a double +.2 higher up. Granted I didn't have the ring past like 80-90ish
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-24 04:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive been using the ring and havent gotten a double skillup yet ; ;
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 04:44:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It doesn't happen often. Basically as far as I can tell it just gives you another chance to skill up. And seeing how I only got 1-2 (usually around 2) lvls a day all the way from 30-100 without the ring I'd say that's less than 5-10% chance to get a skill up on each bite. So at best .25-1% chance to get a double. On the other hand much better chance of getting at least 1 skillup each bite.
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-24 05:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

from 80- the 89 i am now, ive actually somewhat frequently gotten .3 skill ups from cave cherax's
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-24 05:11:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I wasn't gunna risk my Lu shangs on them... but after yeah. But the bite rate was horrible. Litterally a full day of fishing to get to fatigue
 Ragnarok.Albender
Server: Ragnarok
user: Albender
By Ragnarok.Albender 2009-12-24 05:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hiya, fishing 100+Ebisu here \o/

You can get 0.3 skill ups out of legendaries.
I've had some on Cave Cherax and maybe Ryugu Titan, can't remember.

Good Luck

/cheer
[+]
By daisythunder 2009-12-26 06:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I think its easier to skill up fishing if you do it in small doses.

7 stacks of fish is plenty of work for 1 day of fishing.

on full moons or on darksday is probably best bet. if your fishing to fatigue in same area and hitting the rusty trash alot and too much non-fish items.

switch to some other area with same fish target.

my fishing skill is about 33 so not a expert. I really like sea serp grotto for downtime fishing sessions. I probably should have stayed in juenger and got skillups on dark bass. but nebonites turn a profit on remora.
and occasional skillups on bream are nice. not very often but its nice to bump .1 - .2 even.

I heard that moblin mazes with the right runes could be good with crafting. I am not sure if a fishing rune exists. it might be worth investigating if you plan on crafting skillups.

I think its not exactly based on fishing skill.. its the fish your catching.

if fish is greater skill then player... there is a chance you will skillup and if its within your skill range its easier to gain.. and its really random and gets progressively harder.

i can reel in breams which is supposedly a high skill fish and see a .2 or .3 skillup. if it doesnt break my rod. If i hook a grimmonite though my halycon rod is probably going to shatter though. some people can hook grimmonites all day. i guess its skill and/or maybe they have a different rod/bait setup.

Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-26 06:06:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rod breaking/line snaping is based on rod and fish. Well and if you actually get it all the way down.

Bait only affects what will bite. Also I believe to get good rate of skillups you should be within 15 lvls of whatever you are fishing up.

There is a fishing MMM maze and there are high lvl fish in it not sure if they skill you up though.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-26 06:23:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i always followed a between 15 and 30 or so rule. i know i started marlin when i was 25 or so with no enchantment rings or shang and i capped out quick trying to get a merc cris. after that. started grims and breams in ssg @ maybe 60 or so after finishing off on noble ladies on fairy while still hunting m kris. maybe 80 or so, and having had shangs and all the enchantment rings for sometime, i started hunting cave cherax's, liks, titanictus's and ryugus, while still doing breams/grims to caps. since like late 80's ive pretty much only done cave cherax's and liks. granted ive been fishing for like 6 years now i guess lol.. its been incredibly off and on, but the 20++ over my skill always did me really well. ive only used 1 skill up ring and still have 2 left full. when i hunt caves i go out with like 5 stacks of bait to fountain of kings and pretty much expect to get at least .1, usually getting a good couple-few. there have been times ive gotten none and others gotten .5 or so in a nights outting, spending a couple hours at a time roughly. still getting them consistantly @ 90, and hope to all the way. if i fished hardcore for a few weeks, i figure i could be done, but at the rate ive been going, it could be another year or so <.>
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 06:33:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I just did 0-27 nebs, 27-53 shall shells/istiridyes, then 53-60 so far on Bastore Bream/Grimms/Nebs to sell in SSG, or using skillup rings in nashamu for mercanbaligi and ahtapot just npcing them right there.

I do some gigant squid occasionally too when I feel like it, but they take up a lot of my AH slots which I need for alchemy ; ;

Worked beautifully for me to skillup, and I just bought lu shangs when I hit 53.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-26 06:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

around 75, 80, maybe sooner even idk, id recommend try the stamina rings / skill up rings @ fountain of kings in quicksands. theres not really any money in it, and it only slightly helps with ebisu if you go after someday, but the skill ups are righteous. like i said, 5 stacks of meat/hour or two, and you can pretty much expect at least a couple points of skill a sitting. getting nothing has been very rare for me, and more than .2 more often than not. its also the only fish there, which makes things easier/more boring. just food for thought ^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-26 06:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I generally pretty much just followed Kida's fishing guide till 66 and then did Nashmau till 99 more or less got some stuff from like 90-100 from trying to get my ebisus on accident.

In nashmau first it was shrimp luring ahtapots/mercanbilgi. Really like that even for money since I can get about 25% bite rate on each of them so 50% total and they npc for 600-700 each. Then switched to Pterygotus at low 90s. About same biterate but only 1 and gotta use lug worms which though cheap take up space. But npcs for like 800. But really nice cause easy to get to. A place to npc them quick for decent money right there lure at first then bait that sells for like 12 gil each on the ride over. Fast bite rate means you get done fast.

I never noticed any slow down in skillups when getting close to cap. I consistently got 1-2 lvls a day everday well really more like 1.5-2. Unless I used the skillup ring then was more like 3-4.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-12-26 06:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm planning on just doing what Dasva did and doing pterygotus to 99, then prolly armored pisces to 100 if I dont already have ebisu.

I'll prolly just buy ebisu fish with money I make from crafting and fishing, then sell back lu shangs to cover it all.

I don't wanna go through the hassle of repairing lu shangs all the time :/

But I also did never notice a different in the difference of lvl of fish/cap verus skillup ratio in fishing, nor crafting at all.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-12-26 07:00:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
I'm planning on just doing what Dasva did and doing pterygotus to 99, then prolly armored pisces to 100 if I dont already have ebisu.

I'll prolly just buy ebisu fish with money I make from crafting and fishing, then sell back lu shangs to cover it all.

I don't wanna go through the hassle of repairing lu shangs all the time :/

But I also did never notice a different in the difference of lvl of fish/cap verus skillup ratio in fishing, nor crafting at all.

yesss and touche, i take for granted my woodworking lol.. id recommend still if you had too, but yeah, w/o it, pretty much definitely need to go non breaking route. breaking/repairing isnt even an option really.

surprisingly though, i only break on cheraxs like 1/100 or so. gone days and days with out breaking, but cant rely on that.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-26 07:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I gave up on trying to fish up all the fish for ebisu's. Lik was easy got 12 of them before my rod broke (at lvl78 fishing) and got item with the 10th one.

Gugrusaurus... god it just wasn't worth fishing until I got to like 90ish and a 2nd lu shangs from a mule. Way too many breaks. Even at 100+gear+support I still caught about 2 for ever rod break. No woodworking so I eventually brought a mule that wasn't doing anything to rabao to help fix faster. So 2nd lu shangs was nice. Break switch then send it(them off). Which made it much faster and cut down on ring charges alot. I don't know how many times I broke right after using my ring. I ended up getting 100 with a +.2 I think on a gugrusaurus.

At first I kinda did a mix of fishing for money and going for gugrus. Since I could only catch about 1-3 gugrus an hour generally thanks to rod breaks line snaps and them just not biting frequently. So eventually I did the math and found that I was making money faster on Nashmau fish and there were always lots of gugru for sale. Sadly right after I got my ebisus they stopped selling lol. And now they hardly sell and have dropped way in price. Also I used to when I was less lazy and people actually bought them do Ryuga titan's. About 1% chance to become a Mercurial Sword which sells for like 700k now but only like 400k back then. Which as slow as they bite (like 1-3 a trip) I wouldn't find it worth it since that was effectively 4k a fish now 7k and my luck is bad so took me like 255 to get my first one. But they were selling pretty frequently for 10k each back then cause merc swds were never for sale lol.