Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-16 18:06:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Fairy.Maimed said:
Agreed. I prefer not to feed HNMs TP personally. However, if we went with that argument Excalibur would be worthless, so I'm giving this guy the benefit of the doube we're willing to take on adequate risk and TP safer HNMs. His argument is the same I get from everyone who believes Excalibur is a PLD's best friend. It's more epeen than practical, unless you do 6-8 man Fafnirs daily.
As it is very late and I am tired I won't do the maths. But if you have more than about 4-5 DDs on a mob, it will have effectively 'infinite' TP (it is getting TP as fast as it can use it). So having a PLD engage will not actually lead to more TP moves. The only time a 'Turtle' PLD would be better is in low man situation or where you are trying to restrict TP feeding (Khim etc).

Who puts 4-5 melees on any HNM nowadays? We have a JP ls in our server that TPs fafnir down with nin/war and rdm/war tanks. 4-6 melees and a single blm for bursts... lol. I've never seen so much wing spammage, except for the time some hnm ls melee brought a ridill to faf and nearly mpk'ed his own alliance.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-16 18:17:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah really for HNMs I preferred 2 nin/drk if shadows can be maintained against there melee hits. Otherwise pld/nin. Also pld for mobs with decent regain that can do some moves or combos that can hurt alot (like will pretty much kill or disable you till you are dead and are hard to stun) or pretty much anything that can 1 hit a nin even in full dmg reduction /resist sets.

At least 1 brd and 1 rdm to support them. Usually a sch too though another rdm cor brd or even a whm works decently. Though really 2 blink tanks plus rdm and brd can hold a hell of a lot of stuff out there pretty much indefinitely if you aren't feeding tp like mad.

For dmg all sch or blm or maybe for things with more resist a couple of sams with those nukers.

Mobs get tp slow you still do dmg fine and there is no omg it just used such and such move back to back moments. In fact assuming it isn't a mob that gains resist to stun this also allows you to keep it stunned alot and stun alot of its moves. And yes pretty much every move can be stunned if you are ready for it even the instant ones or the ones that supposedly can't be. I've personally stunned Serpentine tail and Citadel buster with weapon bash cause stun timer was down as a rdm/drk lol.
 Fairy.Maimed
Server: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-16 18:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

stunning Citadel buster ftw. I'm phail I just swap MDT and eat it. I should try shield bashing it next time lol.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-16 18:29:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Maimed said:
stunning Citadel buster ftw. I'm phail I just swap MDT and eat it. I should try shield bashing it next time lol.
The timing is tricky and most likely even partly dependent on your comp and connection speed/lag. Took me 2 trys on the only time I got to fight him to get it right... and of course since it was our first time fighting that first one kinda wiped most of us out (well 6/8-9) though the fact that it had manashield up and I was using stun spell might have screwed the first one up. And well since I was like the only one up I ate a Holy 2 right after and died lol.

That and I couldn't find a single place anywhere online that spoke of the timing in actually stunning the move vs stunning and having it do it. All I could find was you can't and some yes you cans.