Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Question about Shiva's Heavenly Strike
Question about Shiva's Heavenly Strike
 Lakshmi.Sepultura
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Sepultura
By Lakshmi.Sepultura 2009-11-16 19:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I was in besieged the other day getting some xp on smn. The only merit that I have so far is Shiva's Heavenly Strike. I looked up info about this ability on wiki, but it doesn't explain what was happening.
I used this ability several times, and instead of doing dmg to the monster, it was healing Shiva instead (who wasn't missing any hp but showed text that she'd been healed 900~ish hp).
At first I'd thought that my macro was messed up and somehow I was targeting Shiva or something.... so I used the menu to use it the next time, and it went off like it's described.. then the next time it healed her again. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and if it's normal? It wasn't anywhere in the description of the ability on Wiki.
Many thanks for your help.
 Shiva.Gylfie
Server: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2009-11-16 19:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

That's definitely not normal. It usually does damage, probably should talk to a GM or report it, or both!
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-16 22:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Its always supposed to do damage. You are supposed to target the mob, but if its targeting her instead (is that even possible? I got to check when I log on next time) THEN it might heal her.

Although I don't think it supposed to target her.

But if you can target BP:75s on your avatar to heal them, then this would be a nice breakthru.
[+]
 Hades.Bez
Server: Hades
user: BezHades
By Hades.Bez 2009-11-16 23:02:33
Link | Quote | Reply

It could just be a text-based glitch in the chat log, rarely I've seen it happen in DRG/Mage parties where my wyvern would "heal itself" with Healing Breath. It still actually healed me as normal, just the log would state otherwise. Happens sometimes with WHM mobs in dynamis, they will "heal" you instead of the other mobs, according to the chatlog.

Perhaps the lag of Beseiged was glitching your chatlog,and it was still actually doing damage as normal, as I dont recall it ever happening in a situation where there weren't a lot of models on the screen at once. It's a similar thing that happens when you get "Resist! Playerx starts casting Stoneskin on Playerx" messages in high-lag situations.
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
Server: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2009-11-16 23:06:00
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a glitch that I've seen happen on DRG many times. Whenever the wyvern uses an offensive breath that would heal the mob, the chatlog shows as the pet recovering HP.
[+]
 Hades.Bez
Server: Hades
user: BezHades
By Hades.Bez 2009-11-16 23:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I still remember when the DRG community dropped a collective jaw when ToAU first came out, at our wyverns "healing" themselves for 150~180 damage at exp camps on Puks. XD
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-11-16 23:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Was it a troll by the name of this?

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Gurfurlur_the_Menacing

could have been it...
 Lakshmi.Sepultura
Server: Lakshmi
user: Sepultura
By Lakshmi.Sepultura 2009-11-17 05:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, wasn't Gurfurlur, but it was the Troll Mercenaries and I'm pretty sure it was a named troll, not just one of the generic ones. I'll have to test this some more and see if I can duplicate it, until them I'm just going to presume that it was a glitch..... I'll report back if I'm able to duplicate it.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-17 06:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

i just posted a screen shot to this happening with geocrush and carbys metorite they under my profile in pics.

edit.

i ws wondering if its a ja/tp move he had that was reflecting the spell and because the nature of the spell it was healing the avatar instead hurting it. Though on 2nd thought that wouldnt make sense for carbys..
 Shiva.Gylfie
Server: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2009-11-17 12:47:53
Link | Quote | Reply

It would still make sense for carby, meteorite is light based, but still nothing reflects back to the avatar.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-17 16:52:47
Link | Quote | Reply

ya kinda ment the degree of the element like being ja2s they they the ultimate form of the elemt
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-11-17 18:13:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I saw this happen yesterday. Wasn't even my avatar, as I wasn't on SMN. Someone was fighting a puk in besieged, and they brought Garuda out and used Aero II on a puk.. And it ended up healing her for 240. Not the puk. Garuda.
 Siren.Dracon
Server: Siren
user: Dracon
By Siren.Dracon 2009-11-17 18:21:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This has happen to me as well.
I had just gotten my first blood pact it Was Levithans Grand Fall.
Is was in the past fighting a pudding in the Quadav home. I would use it and Levithan would heal it self. And the mob wouldnt take any damage. I was watching its hp. Thats the first time i saw that happen and i havnt seen it sence.