Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » RDM Gear choices for Para/Slow
RDM Gear choices for Para/Slow
 Valefor.Integral
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-06 10:50:03
Link | Quote | Reply

well you arent casting para/slow on birds at all so OP MP IS THE WAY TO GO FOR XPING AND MERITING
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 10:54:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming your xping/merit on greater colibri... all others para/slow is fine. Actually I'd cast it on them. Be funny if you para'd them then they tried to cast it back and then got para'd out of it. I'd keep doing that just to get a SS of it. Also he asked how to stack mnd all the way and not be gimp mp.
 Unicorn.Liir
Server: Unicorn
user: Liir
By Unicorn.Liir 2009-11-06 11:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Imo. Stack MP gear while XP'ing on RDM, if you want more MND for Para/Slow, Eat a Goblin Mushpot, Lasts for 3 hours and gives +10 MND.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-11-06 11:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks a lot for the opinions guys ^^

And Liir, I completely forgot about Mushpots, thanks for reminding me! (which also lead me to remember mushroom stews XD)

I guess for now I'll carry on EXP'ing in MP gear for now, as seems to be the common ideal ^^
 Kujata.Argettio
Server: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 11:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?

Insect ring is kinda fail on any spell that has macc/potency based on stats

Insect ring is fail, always.

It is worse than a 5 Stat ring (snow, aqua) in terms of pure accurcy, and adds no potency.

The only time insect ring is worth using is when you can't afford half decent rings in the first place.

Omega and balrahn's ring win against anything in terms of pure m.acc
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 11:35:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?
Insect ring is fail, always. It is worse than a 5 Stat ring (snow, aqua) in terms of pure accurcy, and adds no potency. The only time insect ring is worth using is when you can't afford half decent rings in the first place. Omega and balrahn's ring win against anything in terms of pure m.acc

Well yeah but it is much easier to get then omega/balhrahns and t here are a few spells that don't seem to get acc from any stat... that would be the 1 use for it well other than maybe the resist lol.
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 11:41:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?
Insect ring is fail, always. It is worse than a 5 Stat ring (snow, aqua) in terms of pure accurcy, and adds no potency. The only time insect ring is worth using is when you can't afford half decent rings in the first place. Omega and balrahn's ring win against anything in terms of pure m.acc

Well yeah but it is much easier to get then omega/balhrahns and t here are a few spells that don't seem to get acc from any stat... that would be the 1 use for it well other than maybe the resist lol.

The only spells that don't get m.acc from stats is Drain/aspir (arguably), everything else follows the whole set of rules about dINT>10 blah blah
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 11:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?
The only spells that don't get m.acc from stats is Drain/aspir (arguably), everything else follows the whole set of rules about dINT>10 blah blah

Several blu debuffs don't which would be the only time I have every brought that ring out lol
 Kujata.Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-11-06 11:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Kujata.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Zangada said:
What about insect ring?

Several blu debuffs don't which would be the only time I have every brought that ring out lol

Ahh trust blu to mess things up, I was refering to 'conventional' spells (as this is a rdm thread)
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 11:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah blus are weird like that... getting all the really cool debuffs. Why can't my rdm get a -MDB gdi!?! Or one that gives plague/disease?
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-06 12:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

its not SE's fault youre too lazy to unlock death blossom and get some awesome rdm tp gear!
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 12:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ws Does not equal spell gdi! Also that's magic evasion down not -MDB
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-06 12:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Argettio said:
Ahh trust blu to mess things up, I was refering to 'conventional' spells (as this is a rdm thread)

Blu going for macc should be using balrahn's/omega, so insect ring is still fail.

And to Integral, why the hell wouldn't you be casting slow on colibri, you should be doing haste on yourself and the tank at a bare minimum so it's always going to have no effect when it casts it back on you.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-06 12:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have an einherjar ls QQ while insect ring is soloable
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-11-06 12:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

i dont really get what you all have against high mp in idle set o.O

i mean i am mithra with not uber high mp, but 960ish isnt bad either. there is a shitload of spells where i can stay at this level of MP. Like Cure (IV), Haste and Refresh with "full" fastcast gear equiped, SS with fastcast+enough MND, Phalanx with gear for phalanx 29. thats alot of spells to burn MP you have "over" and hell even if you "loose" 200 mp for enfeeblings... RDM get them back fast anyways and as other ppl said already, you arent full mp often anyways... but this isnt a reason to not have many mp in idle set ._.

and to leveling rdm, as many said already, just have a high MP set and get enfeebling magic gear over potency gear for your enfeeble while leveling. so you can silence Imps easy and such. You wont really enfeeble colibris much beside Dia.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-11-07 02:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It depends on the situation obviously but for meriting on birds and exping on the ones that reflect ***obviously just MP ***, it would be utterly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to use anything else but max MP for this.

For instance me in a merit party on birds i'll full-time dalmatica AF2 hat and zenith legs sometimes the feet also but usually i stick to goliard, i have to wear a BQ ring to pull it off since i'm a taru but hey guess what? MND is LOL unless you are enfeebling anyway and any RDM who enfeebles birds is pretty damn foolish.

Slow? thats what Elegy is for and it's plenty enough for even a shitty tank, you should be more concerned with hasting and keeping people alive than casting this, especially since people invite you to fulfill a WHM role only to do it better, very rarely will you see a WHM casting slow so why should you?

Can't tell you how many times i've seen people get caught with shadows down on a /nin or nin job and our main healing rdm was too busy fukin around with casting this instead of curing like a whm would and the DD eats a pecking flurry and bam! dead.

Besides in any decent party the bird will be slowed enough from elegy that they only get a few attack rounds off before dying anyway so it's just an inefficient use of MP to cast it on every mob every 30 seconds or so. In a good party you should be enough strained for MP from hasting and curing alone to bother with this especially since elegy is much more powerful.

Para? Yah could be useful until someone dies because you cant get a paralyna cast off on yourself so again would be stupid.

The only debuff you should ever even cast there is Dia II or 3 if you have and this doesn't really matter a MND mod as far as i know.

I guess this only applies though to Birds and parties that invite you as the only mage, if for some really stupid reason (maybe the leader is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE) you find yourself in a different situation: Then is when you should probably disband because it's probably going to be slow exp.

So yah MP all the way, sorry for the long post but don't even worry about MND unless you start doing HNM type ***as rdm and by then the MND gear choices are fairly obvious, or if you for some wierd reason u are not the main healer and are doing the thing which rdm is actually A+ at, otherwise pretty much just MP *** it since ur basically just a whm with refresh 99% of the time.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-07 07:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't use elegy as brd on birds <_< chakram pull ftw.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-11-07 07:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I don't use elegy as brd on birds <_< chakram pull ftw.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-11-07 07:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Integral said:
well you arent casting para/slow on birds at all so OP MP IS THE WAY TO GO FOR XPING AND MERITING

I'm 71 atm so passed the middle level colibris, and I have to say that saying 'Well the birds reflect it back on you or other pt members ; ;' is a horrible reason not enfeeble them. Keep haste on yourself (even easier with composure) and 75% of the time they would cast my Slow back on me which had no effect. In the event if casts it on someone else I was always on top of hasting them asap. Same with Blind...oh no, the RDM is blinded! lol. Doesn't take but a second to take it off the others if you're on top of things. Generally I stayed away from paralyze, cause I hate interuptions from being paralyzed lol, and don't really want the pld to be paralyzed trying cure themself in a critical moment.
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-07 08:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

THE ONLY
and I repeat

ONLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

enfeeb you should ever put on a bird is Dia II, it's like free 12%+ dmg atk boost and ONLY to the bird you are fighting and know how to target something.

The rest is a waste of time unless the party really suckz.

And whoever said MND was LOL can just go retire their RDM now. An SS with a full mnd build + af pants make the world a safe place for you when you pull hate. Also MND increases the likelyhood of your blinks taking the damage. It's priceless.
 Lakshmi.Chantal
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aprili
By Lakshmi.Chantal 2009-11-07 09:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
I know Para and Slow are MND based enfeebs, so stacking MND will always help (assuming it sticks), my question is:

How can I stack a lot of MND at 50-75 and still have decent MP at the end of it?

I know that's a big level gap, but I'm now 50, and when I hit 51~60 I'll get a large chunks of MP from new gear (such as Serk Ring), and I don't want to lose 100 MP whenever I cast Para/Slow..

This is what I plan on using at 60. (I tossed AF in there because I have no idea what a better body piece would be >_>) At 70, I get a new waist piece anyway (Forest Rope), so I don't really want to buy P Rope to have to resell it.

Even if I replaced just the rings, I'd be losing nearly 100MP off my Max MP.

Any suggestions RDM's of FFXIAH?

Note: Haven't read the rest of the thread, just the OP.

First off, having a lot of MND isn't really that important in exp. If your tanks are slightly competent on most exp mobs, Slow/Para won't make a huge difference in your exp/hr.

Secondly, get P Rope. If you're serious about RDM at 75, and you don't have Witch's Sash, get P Rope. It seems to me you put too much emphasis on MP. I understand you're an Elvaan but (ignoring the fact that you have other jobs) Serket Ring, Astral Earring, etc. I don't know what you plan on doing with your RDM at 75, though.

Once you're at 75, you'll want a full MND set, an INT/Enfeebling Skill/Magic ACC set, your MP/healing set, your convert set, and a nuking set at the least. Other simple sets help a lot. For example, I've got my idle set that puts on Refresh/Regen/Move Speed gear, a Stoneskin set that'll give me just enough MND to cap my stoneskin, a physical defense set, etc etc. If you're a nerd like me you can write an XML that'll handle all your gear swaps and such with spellcast, too. My spellcast adjusts my gear swaps based on how much MP I have left (and various other things, like subjob). If you really have a lot of free time on your hands, you can actually set up spellcast to use different sets of gear for fighting different types of monsters.

Hope this helps some, lol.
 Valefor.Integral
By Valefor.Integral 2009-11-07 09:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Belius said:
Also MND increases the likelyhood of your blinks taking the damage. It's priceless.

is this true? lol I have never heard of such tomfoolery
 Fenrir.Retin
Server: Fenrir
user: Jeniffer
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-07 09:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

For me it's really situational. I have one set for all the spells I use typically containing "max mp", in the way where I can fit in as much potency/skill as I wish, and still keep my mp at a high. Useful in parties where mobs die quick, like exp/nyzul and some events(limbus,dynamis)

For when I solo, I cast in max potency 90% of the time. Most of the mobs RDM can solo you will be able to land your debuffs in potency gear with capped enf merits/skill. Only difficulty I had was vs cactrot rapido and poison II, but he is strong vs water, so that explains it. When you hit 75 and find soloing interesting, 5/5 in slow II along with a very potent potency setup in MND blows most things out of the water, and I strongly suggest it.

For your level where you dont have alot of access to enf. skill and your enf. skill might be uncapped(due to level sync), I would not mind with potency at all tbh. If the colibri is slowed by 15% or 17.2% does not really matter for your PLD, and I doubt he will even notice the difference.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-11-07 09:46:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Only difficulty I had was vs cactrot rapido and poison II,

Screw Rapido. So many times I've had to spend 300-400 MP just to get him Poisoned again. HATE
 Fenrir.Retin
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-07 09:53:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Only difficulty I had was vs cactrot rapido and poison II,

Screw Rapido. So many times I've had to spend 300-400 MP just to get him Poisoned again. HATE

Yeah, and I always cast in HQ staff/grip and max enfeeble skill on(excluding AF2 hat, I only have crimson mask) He can resist pretty bad lol.
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2009-11-07 10:23:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
THE ONLY
and I repeat

ONLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

enfeeb you should ever put on a bird is Dia II, it's like free 12%+ dmg atk boost and ONLY to the bird you are fighting and know how to target something.

The rest is a waste of time unless the party really suckz.

Well I guess if less attacks and less attacks landed is something you don't want than you can do whichever. Personally I find Slow and Blind save me mp in the end.
 Fenrir.Retin
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-07 10:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

By the time I have casted slow and blind(and blindna on a melee) the mob is dead, or should be. Any slower kills and the merit isnt worth my time:P Im not an elitist ***, but merit is so boring that I do demand some killspeed in it. I'm not often on RDM though, mostly DD.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-07 10:43:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Retin said:
By the time I have casted slow and blind(and blindna on a melee) the mob is dead, or should be. Any slower kills and the merit isnt worth my time:P Im not an elitist ***, but merit is so boring that I do demand some killspeed in it. I'm not often on RDM though, mostly DD.

Really your saying all mobs your fighting from the lvl spread this guy gave die in about 10 sec? Man you must have had some insanely great pts from 50-75
 Fenrir.Retin
By Fenrir.Retin 2009-11-07 10:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Was refering to merits, my bad for not pointing that out. And I agree with Bojack that debuffs on the earlier levels help alot:)
 Remora.Belius
Server: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-07 10:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Liir said:
Imo. Stack MP gear while XP'ing on RDM, if you want more MND for Para/Slow, Eat a Goblin Mushpot, Lasts for 3 hours and gives 10 MND.

:o I didn't even know about that.
Valefor.Integral said:
Belius said:
Also MND increases the likelyhood of your blinks taking the damage. It's priceless.

is this true? lol I have never heard of such tomfoolery

Try it yourself. MND yourself and enhancegear and cast. The next 3 attacks will get absorbed.

INT yourself and cast, it will then proc on random.