SE DMCA Against Private Server Streams?!?!?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » HorizonXI » SE DMCA against private server streams?!?!?
SE DMCA against private server streams?!?!?
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2023-12-06 23:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Thread's TLDR:
8 twitch streamers claim to have received DMCA strikes from SE. Link to relevant post
  • 3 received them while live and got a 48hr suspension.

1 youtube video was linked where that user also claimed to have received a DMCA. Link to relevant post

The DMCAs do seem to be real, whether they originated from SE or some third party can't really be determined at this time. But Thorny pointed out the high legal risk of posing as an entity to make a DMCA claim. The exact portion of the videos in teh claims apparently can not be reviewed by the streamers so they are unsure of what EXACTLY they did, for example:

Some people think those who stand in defense of SE decision to take action, are being mean/bootlicky.

Some people think those who stand in defense of Horizon/Streamers, are being ignorant/entitled

Why did SE take action now? Some Theories Presented:
  • Primed for Adventure, SE official ffxi stream, was going to go through some prechecks and noticed all the blatant private server streams and reported it.

• Horizon "ads" have appeared in comments on official ffxi posts, and this was how they responded.

• The crossover event with FFXIV means more community attention on FFXI so this level of private server content is a bit embarrassing and needed to be cleaned up.

• Someone randomly ended up on the page and decided to take action.

• It was not SE and was actually some hater who had nothing left to lose.

Original Post said:
Is it real? fake? a ploy to get even more attention? are shits given?

(i made this thread cuz twitch's logo is purple)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-12-06 23:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/gullible
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-12-06 23:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-12-06 23:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Huh. All this time, I was under the impression that word wasn't in the dictionary.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-12-06 23:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Coincidence!? lol, the real dunes experience

Quote:
Sicycre and Okieeomi from the North American Community team are excited to welcome you back to their FINAL FANTASY XI adventure with the community! Tune in for the team?s final episode of the year spreading Starlight cheer! We implore you to join the journey ahead while discussing all things FFXI!

Date & Time:
Thursday, December 7, 2023 at 3:00 p.m. (PST)

World:
Asura

Where to watch:
The official FINAL FANTASY XI Twitch Channel
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
user: gweiv
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-07 00:09:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It's both probably real and also probably just automated copyright striking for music. Not super uncommon.
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-07 00:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I had a couple of automated DMCA takedowns for music in my inbox and they don't quite look like this. Similar formatting but it has a fairly in depth explaination as to what actions I can take to be compliant. This doesn't have that. Gonna lean more towards it being fake, but my notices are also pretty old so maybe things have changed?
By Dodik 2023-12-07 00:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Have heard it confirmed by another Horizon streamer - that did not get one - that the DMCA strikes are real, though not necessarily by SE themselves.
[+]
By Zehira 2023-12-07 00:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
lol, the real dunes experience

No idea about this thread. Kinda weird, SE can ban any streamer with third party tools playing on an official server and not the ps streamers. 
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-12-07 00:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn ya hate to see it

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-07 01:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, two minutes of internet sleuthing led me to finding whose channel this is from, and I go to their Twitch page, and...

So yeah, alright, its definitely real. They got their whole channel removed, not even just a VOD. Ruh roh.
[+]
 Asura.Dasoccer
user: dasoccer
By Asura.Dasoccer 2023-12-07 01:26:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I got clapped
 Asura.Dasoccer
By Asura.Dasoccer 2023-12-07 01:28:22
Link | Quote | Reply

8 strikes in the community.

3 got a 48 hour ban
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-07 01:34:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dasoccer said: »

3 got a 48 hour ban
Eight different people? Or do you mean you got eight strikes?
 Fairy.Shiriokumo
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Shiriokumo 2023-12-07 01:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM8PtsQl-bU
[+]
 Asura.Dasoccer
By Asura.Dasoccer 2023-12-07 01:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Gweivyth said: »
Asura.Dasoccer said: »

3 got a 48 hour ban
Eight different people? Or do you mean you got eight strikes?

Different ppl
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-12-07 02:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a huge fan of the server but I think this is a bridge too far and totally unnecessary

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Mrxi 2023-12-07 04:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Deserved for pretending like they can't get in trouble.
[+]
By Seun 2023-12-07 04:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

It's one thing to use someone else work. Trying to present your vision of their work as somehow 'improved' is really what keeps me from feeling sympathy for them though. It's not classic if it needed you to make it better kids...
 Bahamut.Certainly
Server: Bahamut
user: Lutia
By Bahamut.Certainly 2023-12-07 05:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »
It's not classic if it needed you to make it better kids...

I don't care about playing on private servers, but if I ran one, I'd try to make it better all the time (and fail at it).
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-12-07 05:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Submitting a DMCA complaint requires you state:

Quote:
Name of the rights holder (owner of the copyright) (person or company) (this will be shared with the account holder whose material is identified in the notification)
Your relationship to the rights holder (e.g., whether you are the rights holder or an authorized agent)

Quote:
Information that allows Twitch and the account holder whose material is identified in the notification to contact you, including
Your name or organization (this will be shared with the account holder whose material is identified in the notification)
Your full postal address (Street, Unit #, City/Town, State, Mailing Code, Country)
Your phone number, including International Code
Your email address (this will be shared with the account holder whose material is identified in the notification)

Quote:
I, <your full name as an electronic signature>, wish to state that:

I have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
This notification is accurate; and
Under penalty of perjury, I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people hate Horizon, and it's not that hard to go on the internet and tell lies. But, I'm inclined to think that would deter most garden variety sociopaths from pretending to be square enix. For that matter, twitch would likely expect the complaint to come from an official email if it's for a major company like that.

It takes a serious skeptic to assume this isn't actually SE.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-12-07 07:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Idk why people assume it's not SE had to know it was gonna happen sooner or later I'm sure the others will be hit also.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-12-07 07:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Why are you running around with their stuff making money and expecting them not to send bruno around to collect?
[+]
 Asura.Gweivyth
By Asura.Gweivyth 2023-12-07 07:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
But, I'm inclined to think that would deter most garden variety sociopaths from pretending to be square enix. For that matter, twitch would likely expect the complaint to come from an official email if it's for a major company like that.
Its a pretty common thing on Youtube for third party companies to make claims on behalf of other entities, so it has less to do with believing it was a garden variety sociopath and more along the lines of it just not being actual Square and instead just being one of those companies. Their approach tends to be spray and pray because there's no consequences for filing false notices. Its actually crazy just how common that is over on Youtube. Plus it is probably just healthy to assume everything you see on the internet is fake, at least initially. :)

That being said, after I dug into it deeper than just the surface level, it does just appear to be real.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-12-07 07:48:39
Link | Quote | Reply

What would be the point of dmcaing streamers with 10 viewers.

What would be the point at all.

(Yes, companies are "forced" to enforce their property rights, thry literally "have to" but not against a streamer, against the entity doing the infringing)

And why now, after years of not doing it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-12-07 07:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
What would be the point of dmcaing streamers with 10 viewers.

What would be the point at all.

(Yes, companies are "forced" to enforce their property rights, thry literally "have to" but not against a streamer, against the entity doing the infringing)

Which in this case would be twitch using its platform to do so. Twitch does it alot just don't see alot of partners get hit only behind the scenes getting strikes and what not.
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2023-12-07 07:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Because interest in XI is resurgent thanks to the Alliance Raid announcement for XIV
[+]
First Page 2 ... 8 9 10