FFXI HD Mods (xiPrime)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Dat Modding » FFXI HD Mods (xiPrime)
FFXI HD Mods (xiPrime)
First Page 2
 Bahamut.Navius
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: phot0nic
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-11-26 14:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

HD Theme for FFXI - xiPrime

Hello everyone, for the past year or so, I've been hard at work on some custom UI modding for the game. My intent when I started out was just to develop a few things here and there for personal use, but that has grown into a pretty substantial overhaul. This started out as a few personal-use tweaks to RadialArcana’s status icons and other .DAT mods, but I eventually got into it and expanded towards trying to fix up all of the dated vanilla UI the best that I can. I'm pretty happy with the state of the mods at this point, so I figure others might also appreciate this attempt to modernize the game a bit. While a few of the mods I’m sharing here replace the commonly-used ‘XIView’, I’m referring to the overall theme as ‘xiPrime’, and trying to offer each mod à la carte style to that people can easily change out only the things that they want. Presently, there are at least 3 different variants of XIView going around (Caradog, Kenshi, RA, maybe others…), and I didn’t want to further add onto the confusion.

Status / Ability Icons

First up are the icons for status effects and spells/JAs. This mod includes:
ROM/0/12.DAT - Buff/Debuff icons that appear in the upper-left corner of the screen (JP version)
ROM/119/57.DAT - Buff/Debuff icons that appear in the upper-left corner of the screen (English version)
ROM/280/15.DAT - Spell/JA icons that appear in the menu
ROM/324/95.DAT - More spell/JA icons that appear in the menu (lvl 96 SPs, which are stored in a separate place from other spell/JA icons)
▪ Also included are .png versions of the icons for compatibility with addons such as PartyBuffs and XivParty
▪ These icons are up-to-date as of this posting, and includes icons for the new Aria, Black Sanctus, and Animated statuses
▪ Descriptions have been edited for Corsair rolls to include lucky/unlucky numbers

More screenshots and details:

Icon Installation Instructions

Status Icons Download: Link (Latest Update: 01-06-2024)

Menu/Nameplate Mods

The next mod that I wanted to release is a customization of the menu backgrounds, buttons, and namplates. For those familiar with XIView, this is the other half of that mod (with the first half being the status/menu icons). This following mod combined with the previous one is a replacement for XIView.

This mod includes:
ROM/119/51.DAT - Nameplate font/icons, menu buttons, weather/day icons
ROM/0/21.DAT - Menu background
The menu background is a recolored mod of the 'blue squares chocobo' background from RadialArcana's post.

As with the above mod, this is inspired heavily by RadialArcana's post on the AH forums. He found a way to increase the resolution of the nameplate text and icons that was previously not possible with XIView. My version uses some different icons, and has been updated to support the latest version of 51.DAT, providing support for the new Config/Gamepad option. There are couple important differences with my version, though, so please keep this in mind.

Mod Details:

More screenshots:
Menu / Nameplate Installation Instructions:

Menu / Nameplate Mod Download: Link (Latest Update: 12-30-2023)

Balloon Theme

Another matching theme I made is for the Balloon addon by Ghosty, which is designed to give classic Final Fantasy style dialogues. I think this makes the storyline cutscenes much more enjoyable to watch, but that's certainly a matter of personal preference.

Some screenshots of the theme in action:

The Balloon addon is available here from Ghosty's Github page

Balloon Theme Installation Instructions

Balloon Theme Download: Link (Latest Update: 11-24-2023)

Cursors

I also made a custom cursor pack based on the ones by Sithel from this post.

Preview:

Alternative POL Cursors:

Cursor Installation Instructions

Cursor Download: Link (Latest Update: 12-30-2023)
[+]
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-11-30 13:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Updated the main post with the Balloon theme and cursors.
 Asura.Bony
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bony 2023-11-30 17:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you sir :)
By Draylo 2023-11-30 17:04:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Very cool! Thanks for this
By Ulgar 2023-12-01 08:04:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Great stuff, cheeers. Really happy to see continued forward motion with something based on RA's, as the icons are just phenominal.

Do you find the hat/helm icons on rolls easier to identify than the three letters used in RA's icons? I plan on giving them a shot, but was concerned they may be more difficult to readily identify from the images.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-01 11:08:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I do, personally, which is why I went out of my way to recreate them instead of just using RA's.

For example, reading the text 'Drk' and mentally translating that to 'Chaos' every time was more difficult (for me) than recognizing the Drk AF helm image as 'Chaos'. Yes, the helm icons are tiny (but imo still recognizable), but that's more of just a reminder for job bonuses- the rolls themselves are recognizable by their die colors, as has been the case for the Caradog/Kenshi XIViews. Also, while some of the icons in the pack still have text, I tried to reduce that across the set for the most part.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-01 15:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

intrloper said: »
This looks neat and will be trying this!
Had a few questions please.
1) I know said this is personal mod but do you foresee any continued updates? Either just maintaining it or adding more to it as you see fit?
2) The nameplate plugin has me curious but wondering how safe it is either from if SE can detect usage or possible malware?
3) I dont suppose you know if need to worry an update could completely break nameplate or not?

Thanks.

1) Yes, I foresee updates. I'm going to try to maintain it to the best of my ability if SE changes the 51.DAT to add additional UI commands (as they have with the gamepad, term filter, etc.), and adding additional status icons is easy, so I can pop those in whenever SE adds new buffs/debuffs.

The only planned update I have to the *existing* mods is to maybe eventually add a matching icon theme for the timers plugin (this would be very time-consuming, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to it) and maybe add the JP language version of the menu/nameplate mod.

Additionally, I have other things I've been working on, like a matching XivParty theme, which I'll probably release soon once I've had some time to polish it up a bit.

2) I can't promise anything, but I highly doubt that SE can detect if you're using the nameplate plugin, all of its operation should be local. I don't think it injects any packets or anything like that to the server.

As for malware, again, I can't make any promises. It's a closed-source binary file that should be treated with the same caution as any other closed-source binary file you download off the internet. If it makes you feel any better, I've run the plugin for close to a year or so without any issues. Additionally, Velyn did make the source code available on their Github page (only for the Ashita version, I don't think the updated one with Windower support had its source released), but unfortunately that Github is no longer available. Someone might have downloaded the source and have a copy lying around somewhere, but I didn't think to do that.

3) I'm sure that's technically possible and I don't have a solution to that. If there is some substantial future update that breaks the nameplate plugin support, I will either need someone else more experienced to step in and write a new/updated plugin, or I will be forced to modify my own version of the 51.DAT to incorporate pre-stretching as the other forms of XIView have.
 Asura.Aerec
Server: Asura
user: Aerec101
By Asura.Aerec 2023-12-01 16:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I can confirm that there is nothing to worry about #2 - People have been using it for a long time since Velyn created the plugin, as said at one time the source was open on a repo and noone had any issue with the code.
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-12-01 20:15:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aerec said: »
at one time the source was open on a repo and noone had any issue with the code.
Don't think so, Velyn only had download links to a prebuilt version in a zip AFAIK

that said running the ashita plugin through IDA didn't show anything obvious
 Lakshmi.Cesil
Server: Lakshmi
user: Valkyrie
By Lakshmi.Cesil 2023-12-01 20:59:06
Link | Quote | Reply

This is awesome! Thank you :)
VIP
By Lili 2023-12-02 08:51:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Casey said: »
Velyn only had download links to a prebuilt version in a zip AFAIK

They very briefly made the source of a previous version available on GitHub. The source of the version with windower support was never available, the one immediately before was.
 Ragnarok.Casey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Casey
By Ragnarok.Casey 2023-12-02 18:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, didn't know it ever hit github. That's good then.
By ilugmat 2023-12-03 08:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Navius, if you are going to continue someone else's work you should retain the original projects name and not rebrand it as your own work entirely. You completely invalidate the huge effort that went into its creation when you change its name like this.

I know you made updates but you're still building on the majority of what someone else made and it's a sign of respect to keep the name the same.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-03 14:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

ilugmat said: »
Navius, if you are going to continue someone else's work you should retain the original projects name and not rebrand it as your own work entirely. You completely invalidate the huge effort that went into its creation when you change its name like this.

I know you made updates but you're still building on the majority of what someone else made and it's a sign of respect to keep the name the same.

I see. Frankly, this is exactly the type of confusion that I was trying to avoid by offering an alternative name, but it seems that wasn't entirely successful. In short, this isn't just a continuation of someone else's work, and I'll try to provide a more detailed explanation with appropriate context. I appreciate you going out of your way to create an account today just to reach out to me (despite us playing on the same server), but hopefully I can clear things up.

Warning, this is a bit long, but I have a tendency to be pretty verbose, and I want to be perfectly clear about my decision, as apparently the blurb I put in the beginning of the original post was not enough:

In short, this is not a "new version" of XI View, so calling it XI View would be inappropriate.
[+]
By ilugmat 2023-12-03 18:10:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Changing the name of the thing is putting your own brand on it, and effectively taking full ownership of it to everyone else. When Caradog took over Xiview for example he didn't rename it, he retained the name and just kept it updated as a service to the community. This is showing some respect to the person that put hundreds of hours into making the original project.

All you had to do was keep it called Xiview3, I don't get why you didn't just do that. This is like someone taking over Windower, and then changing the name of it and effectively erasing all the work the people who worked on it before put in. It's just rude behavior and unnecessary.

I spent 6 months and high hundreds of hours making that mod, and I don't mind anyone carrying it on but it's rude to change the name of it and I'm really surprised you don't see that. You know full well how much work I put into that and almost all of is still the same and you're implying it's not. Changing some colors, or making something more blurry does not make those graphics yours. Nor does copy and pasting most of the hex code over.

Most of the icons are still the same (and many were made from scratch), the font sheet is the same and I made that from scratch too and worked out every hex value of every character, many of the UI graphics are still the same or scaled/cut up, you didn't even make the background with the chocobo on it. I'm struggling to see anything you made in your OP image actually when you're implying otherwise.

You changed very little in the mod, and almost all of it is still the same as it was when it was XIview 3. Certainly not enough to warrant changing the name and implying it's "inspired by" and not just carrying on what someone else made.

You didn't attempt to ask me if you could do this, you didn't ask Velyn either if you could use their addon. Putting credit (this isn't a nice thing to do, you're supposed to do that when you take other peoples stuff) doesn't change the fact you should not change the name of a thing and effectively take full ownership of it in the mind of everyone else.

Most of the graphics you posted in the OP were made by me, you changed some colors or cut and paste an arrow ontop of some or whatever. Anyone that used both know they are near the same.

When I made Xiview3 I went out of my way to make sure I used nothing from previous versions, to warrant there being another version in circulation.

Again my issue is changing the name, because that is saying "this is all my work" and it's not.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-03 23:47:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry you feel this way about it, but I was pretty exhaustive in my last post for listing my multiple reasons why I felt it would be inappropriate for me to use the name XI View. I specifically went out of my way to call it something, anything, but that to avoid confusion with existing mods. You claim that referring to the mod as something different is 'effectively taking full ownership' or 'saying this is all my work', and I frankly disagree with your opinion.

I think it should be clear to anyone who has read any of my posts that if my intent was to take credit for someone else's hard work, I wouldn't have bent over backwards to frequently acknowledge which portions were created/inspired by others, praise their work, and link to their respective projects. I have put in my due diligence to ensure proper attributions have been made specifically so that am not giving the impression that I am claiming ownership of their hard work.

I am sorry that my specific choice to not name these mods "XI View" upsets you and gives you the impression that I am trying to take away credit from where it is due. That was never what I wanted, and I apologize if you feel this release in any way invalidates someone else's (your?) hard work. My goal was simply to share a variety of mods that I've worked on and personally enjoy with the community, no more, no less. These evolved from personal use, to shared with some friends on Discord, and then finally to the larger community in response to the most recent monthly patch update.
By ilugmat 2023-12-04 06:02:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets say Aerec wanted to officially add this to Horizon (I'm not saying he would, I'm just using an example since he popped his head in here). Normally he would have to ask me, and he wouldn't cause he knows I'm anti private server.

Now he doesn't need to ask me, he can just ask you right? Cause the perception upon changing the name is that this is now yours. Even though, if I did a side by side image comparison far more is mine than what you added.

I would of been fine with anyone taking it over and updating it but changing the name is just rude behavior because it's an act of ownership, especially when I only made it last year.

However this is the internet and all right.

Muh inspired.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-04 15:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm personally running at 1.15x scaling, and I can notice a difference in the menus, perhaps less so on the weather icons. I wouldn't say that the mods are only good for high UI scaling, but ymmv.

I'm guessing you found your solution to the font question. In short, this mod is not directly compatible with many of the source images (nameplate font included) from the original XI View or the vanilla 51.DAT, those images must first be upscaled to the newer resolution.

Post deleted by User.
By jdstang 2023-12-08 03:56:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you think you could provide a download with all the icons used in the menu for abilities and spells? I'm trying to match the icons in the menu to my tcrossbar addon.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-08 11:29:53
Link | Quote | Reply

jdstang said: »
Do you think you could provide a download with all the icons used in the menu for abilities and spells? I'm trying to match the icons in the menu to my tcrossbar addon.

Sure, I can try to pull those out for you (have to extract them one at a time). Many of them (the ones that apply status effects) are included in the png folder as intrloper mentioned, and I'd highly recommend you use those images when possible (they are at the original quality). They had to be compressed a bit to import into the .DAT, and I'm not sure I have all the originals. I'll see what I can do.

If you're unfamiliar, be aware of how the game "builds" the menu icons from a few source images. For example (these screenshots are of the vanilla game icons, not the ones from my pack), if you browse 280/15.DAT with TexHammer, you'll see something like this:

The "Cure III" icon uses the 'white cure' image and the numerals from the 'misc numsx' image to form this, the final Cure III icon:
Likewise, "Curaga III" uses the base 'white curaga' image, and the numerals/star from 'misc numsx' to form this:

The first one-hours are located in a file formatted like this:

The second one-hours are formatted similarly, but located in 324/95.DAT.
By Moonlightagb 2023-12-08 12:06:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it possible to mod the buff icon description data?

Kinda inspired to ask this question after looking at the cor rolls here... it'd be cool if for example Cor roll description said "Increases experience gained. (Lucky Roll: 5 / Unlucky Roll: 69idk)" ETC with the lucky/unlucky #s added to the end

Would be cool being able to hover over the icon desc and read the text instead of trying to look at tiny numbers with my vision lol
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-08 13:54:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That sounds like a great idea. I don't know how to do it, but I'll try to take a look and see if I can figure it out.
[+]
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-09 19:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

jdstang said: »

Here's a pack with the spell/ability icons extracted from 280/15.DAT and 324/95.DAT: Link

Unfortunately importing the .DDS images into the .DAT and then exporting then chewed up the quality a bit, I'm sorry about that. For the spells and JAs that apply a status buff/debuff, I'd recommend you use the higher quality ones in the archive from the first post. I'll work on cleaning up the remaining icons eventually when I work on a pack for Timers.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-11 09:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, they did overwrite for some reason. I just compared the files and they're identical, so I'm not sure what's up with that. It's safe to use the current version of the mod.
 Bahamut.Navius
By Bahamut.Navius 2023-12-30 01:11:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm releasing a new update to the mods and have updated the main post with links.

Status / Ability Icons
- Added lucky/unlucky numbers as well as job associations to the descriptions for Corsair rolls as requested by Moonlightagb.
- A few small improvements to the menu icons

Menu / Nameplate Mods
- The font has been updated. It is still an upscale of the vanilla game font like RadialArcana's original, but I worked on making it a bit clearer at full resolution, and a bit more readable at smaller sizes (noticeable on buff timers, etc.). It's a subtle change, but I'm pretty happy with the result.
- New nameplate icons for master stars, monstrosity, and away message status
- Several other miscellaneous UI components have been upscaled and cleaned up.

Cursors
- Recently in the FFXI Modding Discord, someone was asking about extracting images from POL, which are encrypted. Atom0s developed and released a tool to decrypt those images, and Vekien used it to batch export all of the POL images. Among those were the POL cursors, so I used those source images to create an alternative set of in-game cursors if anyone likes them better. I think some of them are pretty cute looking.

Links to the updates are in the main post.
First Page 2