Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-22 15:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Odin.Senaki said: »
Ok... Let's now compare this to their remasters.

Again, I want to say that I do appreciate the initiative on their part.
These are the remixes from Tweex I've been talking about. These songs were composed and released in an album called "The Land of Vana'diel" back in the year 2012.

I'm really not pleased that this YouTuber is uploading these songs under the guise of these being originals for HorizonXI. There's no credit to Tweex, nor link to his original, 11-year-old uploads. And that's not even necessarily blaming this YouTuber. I'd sooner blame the HorizonXI team for not giving credit in the first place. At best they say nothing and hope that you think it's their hard work. At worst, they claim other peoples' hard work as their own. It's disgusting.

I see, that’s good to know.

I was under the impression that Horizon created the soundtrack and, as you say, it was not advertised that they took it from elsewhere.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-11-22 15:47:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
I was under the impression that Horizon created the soundtrack and, as you say, it was not advertised that they took it from elsewhere.
This is a great example of my biggest issue with HorizonXI and its team. Anything that you've enjoyed about that server is something that they had nothing to do with, and any changes or original updates for the server itself (outside of its launcher, to their credit) is poop.

The music remixes of the zones that already had music is all great, but that was all done over a decade ago by someone completely unaffiliated with the HorizonXI team. The decision to use that orchestral listening music to replace background music, the decision to add music to zones that didn't need music, and the crappy original songs for those zones are the credit of the HorizonXI team.

Just like how the game assets are great, but those were made by the original FFXI team. The server database functions, but that was made by the LSB and ASB teams. You can't praise Aerec and Friends for any of that. But you know what you can credit them for? The awful job balance changes, the ugly new character models, the awful economy changes, the weird bugs, and so on.
[+]
 Bahamut.Boposhopo
Server: Bahamut
user: Boposhopo
By Bahamut.Boposhopo 2023-11-22 16:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

While I'm not absolving them of everything, and have never played Horizon, a brief google search does provide this "Letter from the Director" (lol really?) that thanks Tweex and several others for the music. So at the very least they've given him credit for it at one point. Would be nice for the account uploading all this music would credit these people as well, but that's another story.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2023-11-22 16:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the YouTuber is new to FFXI and doesn’t realize the music isn’t from just horizons.

So please don’t go rage on him for his ignorance.
[+]
 Siren.Bruno
Server: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2023-11-22 17:08:57
Link | Quote | Reply

no music with the ambience of the environment breathes much more life into the world of Vana'diel than injecting background music behind everything

zoning into Beadeaux for the DRK quests and hearing the downpour of the rain as Zeid walked in, that created such an immersive feeling. the cutscenes felt heavy even though they were short. I can't imagine taking it seriously with whatever that HXI track is in the background
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-11-22 18:00:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Boposhopo said: »
(lol really?)
I dunno if he still does, but he called himself "Aerec-P" for a while as well.

That "Letter from the Director" is really messed-up. It doesn't thank Tweex for his tracks, it simply lists him as part of "our music team". Just like how they claimed the songs were HorizonXI original in one of their dev blogs, this makes it sound like they were specially-commissioned for HorizonXI. That's not proper credit, that's really undermining someone's work.

Quote:
To our music team: Emi, Tweex, Uzzy, Chary, Roso. I never thought that my crazy idea of custom music and recomposed music for the game would come to fruition.

No wonder the HorizonXI crowd are so infatuated with Aerec. Even when he's mentioning other peoples' names, he's somehow taking credit for the idea.

Quote:
We made this for you, so that you could enjoy adventuring one more time again in a world we all know and love - Vana’diel.

Quote:
And so my crazy idea of Era+ started to solidify.
[+]
 Asura.Shinryukage
Server: Asura
user: Leairc
By Asura.Shinryukage 2023-12-08 19:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like I'm getting the last laugh here, and I love it.
By Mrxi 2023-12-08 19:16:23
Link | Quote | Reply

This music is trash, play retail.
[+]
 Sylph.Shiriokumo
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shiriokumo 2023-12-09 19:55:35
Link | Quote | Reply

honestly i would rather listen to pokimane ramble for hours or emiru scream at the top of her lungs while raking a chalkboard.
[+]
By Dodik 2023-12-09 20:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Shiriokumo said: »
honestly i would rather listen to pokimane ramble for hours or emiru scream at the top of her lungs while raking a chalkboard.

Yikes.
[+]
 Asura.Rekcuf
Server: Asura
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-12-10 06:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Shioban 2023-12-12 06:27:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of them are alright background noise.

Sweet jesus that Valkurm Dunes music is just hateful sounding; it's the same guitar melody repeated in a loop for two minutes straight.

If you wanted to make FFXI 'sounding' music, the soundfont is easily acquired. (Obviously they didn't make any music specifically for this server.)

The extra music certainly feels out of place with the rest of the sound track overall.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-12-12 07:07:36
Link | Quote | Reply

The OST is awesome!
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2023-12-18 16:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

offensively bad. the intro to ronfaure has more complexity and variety than all of these new songs combined
[+]
 Sylph.Ketsui
Server: Sylph
user: Lutia
By Sylph.Ketsui 2024-01-01 13:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does this exist? This is awful! Just steal from other RPGs or TV series, there's enough awesome ***out there to fill the zones, not like any of this is legal anyway, so might as well?