Kind Of A Long Shot: Vanilla Scholar Macros?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » Kind of a long shot: Vanilla Scholar Macros?
Kind of a long shot: Vanilla Scholar Macros?
By Felgarr 2023-07-28 21:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A long time ago, I used to play with someone who shared with me a set of Macro books for playing Scholar on Vanilla. This person had 200 macros, basically every slot in the book filled up...but they also cleverly used the /macro and /book macros to effortlessly swap between different macro sets#1-10 for their scholar.

I want to say that person was Chimerawizard? On Ragnarok, like 10 years ago?
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-29 00:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

200 macros for SCH is massive overkill in my experience. I use 4 pages and it's more than enough, I'll make a 5th or 6th if I need them for specific situations. I don't macro light/dark arts, celerity, or other stratagems i rarely use. I think the mental load 9f having to remember 2here you are in your convoluted system of macros is not worth it for once a month, one spell scenarios. Macro the important ***, menu the rest.

If you want I can share my layout but it does involve a fair bit of menuing and manually equipping sets for some of the lesser used stuff
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-07-29 00:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, I'd love to see it. It would help me plan further.
By zixxer 2023-07-29 01:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have sch but I use a homerow system on blm. Basically there is a homerow that has all of the "table of contents". When I click on fire in homerow it will take me to another palette will all the fire spells. At the end of that palette which is 0, it will take me back to homerow. This system can jump across books if need be. But my blm macros fills all of 1 book completely without needing to jump to another book.

This is my homerow.

Clicking on fire will take me here. Notice that on ctrl/alt 0 is what takes me back to homerow.

Macros 1-10 are full.

I hope it helped.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-30 00:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for my late response and the lack of screenshots here, hopefully this format is usable, I can provide more later, I've been on vacation and am not near my PC.

Page 1 is buffing. Cure 1,2,3,4, firestorm, sandstorm, aurorastorm, haste, adloqiuim, phalanx, regen, blink, stoneskin, accession, perpetuance.

Page 2 is curing. Cure 1,2,3,4, perpetuance, ascension, regen, haste in the same spots as Page 1. Add in cursna, poisona, paralyna, viruna, erase, stona. Maybe a couple others I can't remember in place of most of the buffs from 1.

Page 3 is free nukes. All tier 5 nukes plus a couple tier 4s. Klimaform goes here so I don't forget it. Alt for each element is the sc for that element. Extra 4 alts are tier 2 sc.

Page 4 is MB nuke. Exact same as page 3, but with mb gear instead of free nuke gear.

Page 5 is helix, exact same as 3 and 4, but with helices in place of nukes

This is pretty much all I ever use. See above for notes on usage. If I need to pop a quick Cure while nuking, I just Page up x number of times, Cure, and go back down to where I was. I generally stay on the Page of my current activity and only change as necessary to avoid confusion. Sometimes I adloqiuim instead of erase, but I can pretty easily recognize my mistake (being on the wrong page), and having a "home" page i stick on makes it easy
[+]
By suuhja 2023-07-30 01:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Lute has a writeup on this

https://luteff11.livedoor.blog/archives/57826740.html
By zixxer 2023-08-03 05:09:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Watching Lute solo WoC created a core memory.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-08-03 05:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

zixxer said: »
I don't have sch but I use a homerow system on blm. Basically there is a homerow that has all of the "table of contents". When I click on fire in homerow it will take me to another palette will all the fire spells. At the end of that palette which is 0, it will take me back to homerow. This system can jump across books if need be. But my blm macros fills all of 1 book completely without needing to jump to another book.

This is my homerow.

Clicking on fire will take me here. Notice that on ctrl/alt 0 is what takes me back to homerow.

Macros 1-10 are full.

I hope it helped.

What's contents of the home row macro? Do you have more examples?
By zixxer 2023-08-03 07:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Fire macro
A different example. Selecting "storms" in homerow.
Will take me here.
To go back to homerow I'll select CTRL O or ALT 0.
[+]
By zixxer 2023-08-03 07:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

This setup will allow you to always know where things are as long as you memorize homerow. You won't need to try remembering where a certain spell is if you categorize it well.

In the heat of battle, it's difficult to find where something is, flipping through the sets. You can easily miss it.

But if I need to do a breakga/burn/bind/bio/stun/drain/bio, I know it's in the homerow under "debuffs".

Clicking this.
Will take me here.
[+]
By Ymora 2023-08-03 09:53:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd need to adjust them to use these vanilla, but this is more or less my current SCH/RDM book. A couple small things are probably outdated/incorrect compared to my game macros. Most of the time when I start a new job, I lay things out on a spreadsheet like this to get used to what's available to me, but as I play I'll adjust things in game if a spell or job ability is in an awkward place, or if I want to add something like Myrkr that I hadn't considered at first.

Imgur link because I still can't figure out how to embed pictures :|

In my experience, a lot of macro-users don't seem to know that you can use CTRL(or ALT) + Shift + # to jump to a specific row. So for example, when I want to nuke Blizzard5 I'll ALT+Shift+8 to jump to my Tier5 nukes, then Alt+3 for Blizzard5. A general thing for how I set up my macros is that Stone/VIT is 1, Aero/AGI is 2, Blizzard/INT is 3, through Light/CHR at 7 and Dark at 8. For Scholar, that's important for nukes, helixes, skillchains, barspells, storms, and -na healing magic.

My thoughts behind each line:

• Line 1 - Frequently used spells. I rarely use Cure2 on SCH, so I deleted that in favor of having Silence readily available and in the same position as it is in my RDM book. Cure1 is there to wake people, 3 and 4 are there for actually healing.

• Line 2 - Keeping helixes available. This would probably be the easiest line to move/remove without losing much.

• Line 3 - Skillchains. Tier1 on Control and Tier2 on Alt. There's redundancy on the Tier2 line because I preferred to have each skillchain assigned to both elements (ex. Gravitation is on ALT + 1 and ALT + 8 since it's Earth and Dark). Alt + 9 and 0 is for Liquifaction into Fusion since I never got around to making an exec file for that.

• Line 4 - Enspells could also be (mostly) removed. Keep Enwater handy for Dahaks if you SCH in Sheol C. Also Storms.

• Line 5 - Alt line in order of element, Control line to (mostly) match the base bar-element (ex. Barpoison on Control5 since it matches with Barwater).

• Line 7 - The -na healing spells seem far, but, like I said above, I can jump there with ALT+Shift+7 rather than paging up from line 1.

• Lines 8 & 9 - Mainly nukes but with some enhancing spells like Aquaveil. I personally keep Blink/Stoneskin/Aquaveil in those locations across all the relevant jobs.

• Line 0 - The lowest tier nukes I macro is Tier3 because of Shortcuts, but you don't really need Tier1 or 2 to have their own macros I think. I also have CC on the Alt line.

The main issues with using these macros is that they rely on addons like Shortcuts (for spells without macros, like Raise1-3) and keybinds within my SCH lua (mostly for Stratagems). Before I started using gearswap, I had a lot less Enfeebling magic on my main line in favor of having things like Accession there (Alt0 I think?). My SCH lua has been adjusted a bit from when I first downloaded it, but I just use Elizabeth's SCH lua.

Regardless of how you play, the main thing is just get familiar. Lay things out in a way that makes sense to you and keep it as consistent as is reasonable with your other job's macros so that changing jobs is less jarring whenever possible.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-08-03 11:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ymora said: »
You'd need to adjust them to use these vanilla, but this is more or less my current SCH/RDM book. A couple small things are probably outdated compared to my game macros. Most of the time when I start a new job, I lay things out on a spreadsheet like this to get used to what's available to me, but as I play I'll adjust things in game if a spell or job ability is in an awkward place, or if I want to add something like Myrkr that I hadn't considered at first.

Imgur link because I still can't figure out how to embed pictures :|

In my experience, a lot of macro-users don't seem to know that you can use CTRL(or ALT) + Shift + # to jump to a specific row. So for example, when I want to nuke Blizzard5 I'll ALT+Shift+8 to jump to my Tier5 nukes, then Alt+3 for Blizzard5. A general thing for how I set up my macros is that Stone/VIT is 1, Aero/AGI is 2, Blizzard/INT is 3, through Light/CHR at 7 and Dark at 8. For Scholar, that's important for nukes, helixes, skillchains, barspells, storms, and -na healing magic.

My thoughts behind each line:

• Line 1 - Frequently used spells. I rarely use Cure2 on SCH, so I skipped that in favor of having Silence readily available and in the same position as it is in my RDM book. Cure1 is there to wake people, 3 and 4 are there for actually healing.

• Line 2 - Keeping helixes available. This would probably be the easiest line to move/remove without losing much.

• Line 3 - Skillchains. Tier1 on Control and Tier2 on Alt. There's redundancy on the Tier2 line because I preferred to have each skillchain assigned to both elements (ex. Gravitation is on 1 and 8 since it's Earth and Dark). Alt9-0 is for Liquifaction into Fusion since I never got around to making an exec file for that.

• Line 4 - Enspells could also be (mostly) removed. Keep Enwater handy for Dahaks if you SCH in Sheol C. Also Storms.

• Line 5 - Alt line in order of element, Control line to (mostly) match the base bar-element (ex. Barpoison on Control5 since it matches with Barwater).

• Line 7 - The -na healing spells seem far, but, like I said above, I can jump there with ALT+Shift+7 rather than paging up from line 1.

• Lines 8 & 9 - Mainly nukes but with some enhancing spells like Aquaveil. I personally keep Blink/Stoneskin/Aquaveil in those locations across all the relevant jobs.

• Line 0 - The lowest tier nukes I macro is Tier3 because of Shortcuts, but you don't really need Tier1 or 2 to have their own macros I think. I also have CC on the Alt line.

The main issues with using these macros is that they rely on addons like Shortcuts (for spells without macros, like Raise1-3) and keybinds within my SCH lua (mostly for Stratagems). Before I started using gearswap, I had a lot less Enfeebling magic on my main line in favor of having things like Accession there (Alt0 I think?). My SCH lua has been adjusted a bit from when I first downloaded it, but I just use Elizabeth's SCH lua.

Regardless of how you play, the main thing is just get familiar. Lay things out in a way that makes sense to you and keep it as consistent as is reasonable with your other job's macros so that changing jobs is less jarring whenever possible.

I did not know about CTRL/ALT/SHIFT+Number ....holy cow! Some questions:

1.) What do you mean by "CC" on the Alt Line? (I know your mean a certain Alt0-9 row, but what does CC mean?
2.) I just like the redundancy / layout of your Row #3. I assume you mean that Fire/Ice/Water are Light-aligned and Wind/Earth/Thunder are Dark-aligned?
3.) Yes, consistency of macro positions across jobs for related abilities makes a lot of sense.
By Ymora 2023-08-04 09:33:21
Link | Quote | Reply

1) CC / Crowd Control - things like Sleep / Break / Bind that stop a mob from moving or acting. Some CC on other jobs would be Bard's Lullaby or Ranger's Shadowbind.

2) Specifically there, I mean redundancy as in having each Tier2 skillchain on the ALT + # that lines up with the element for me. So Distortion being Ice and Water lines up with ALT+3 and ALT+5.

To clarify a little for jumping macro lines, it's a combination of Control + Shift + NUM (or Alt + Shift + NUM); if you only hit Control + NUM or Alt + NUM it would just try to activate the corresponding macro for the line you're currently on. Shift + NUM would do nothing as far as I know.

If you play with controller rather than keyboard, Zixxer's setup will probably work way better for you. I've tried controller in the past, but I always ended up preferring how much more could be quickly available to me by using keyboard. Then eventually I figured out how to jump between lines and playing with keyboard only got easier imo.
[+]