Duban - Your Experience With It?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Duban - Your experience with it?
Duban - Your experience with it?
By Imilky 2023-04-27 08:27:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Have anyone here did some testing / have some general review? Hardly any info anyway.
Thanks.
 Asura.Thunderjet
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Thunderjet 2023-04-27 09:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

WELL IT definitely blocks more than aegis and ochain, its an ochain with shield skill stuck on it.
[+]
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2023-04-27 10:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Imilky said: »
Have anyone here did some testing / have some general review? Hardly any info anyway.
Thanks.

Pretty sure Martel checked and tested this. It might behoove you to check back in the sticky or do a Google search (or three). '-')
[+]
By Nehot 2023-04-27 12:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Imilky said: »
Thanks.

I have it and personally use it as my main shield on my alt because I dont want to get another Ochain. Duban has the same base block as Ochain but with the added skill on it which means its better for blocking vs higher level mobs. However you lose the biggest draw to Ochain, the MP return. The MP may not seem like much but it makes a difference and currently I cannot find a reason to use Duban over Ochain as the stats currently are. Though this info may change drastically here soon as the next stage is due in a few weeks.

Ultimately its completely up to you which shield to use as they are both amazingly good.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-04-27 12:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I use duban on PLD when tanking Odyssey seg farm, ask for 1 ballad and 1 minne, and you are basically invincible.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-04-27 15:58:53
Link | Quote | Reply

When I see this topic i think...

[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2023-04-27 18:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nehot said: »
currently I cannot find a reason to use Duban over Ochain as the stats currently are. Though this info may change drastically here soon as the next stage is due in a few weeks.

I pretty much agree with your whole post, but to be clear, the biggest reason right now to use Duban over Ochain is for anyone who doesn't already have a completed Ochain. There's really no good reason now to make an Ochain if you didn't already have it, other that completionism, given the ease of getting a Duban. Pretty damn nice for people like me, who came to PLD more recently and have yet to make an Empy.

Duban is a perfectly fine Ochain alternative in any situation, with the advantage of better block rate on higher level mobs, and the disadvantage of not having MP return (which I would argue is normally pretty minor, given the many sources of refresh from party members that you are likely to have available, damage>MP gear, and Chivalry).

And yeah, with any significant improvement on next stage, Prime Shield seems very likely to totally replace Ochain (and maybe kill Srivatsa too). Prime+Aegis seems like all you'll really need in the shield slot for any defensive situation, toss a Blurred+1 in there for deeps.
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-04-27 18:38:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You know, I actually got some good mileage out of Ochain's mp convert recently. Was doing V25 Mboze holding the adds and tossing out Knights of Rounds on the NM.(didn't need even more people spamming Savage blade, so this helpd with the ws wall)

Was also doing a lot of curing, and burned through my MP fast. BRD messed up and didn't give me ballad either. lol.

Swapped from Duban to Ochain. And since I wasn't using Burtgang I was actually taking fair dmg through phalanx on blocks, so I got a lot of MP back. The snapweed adds are brutal.

I'm not saying anyone should go make one if they don't have it already. It's a huge pain in the ***. Duban is soo much easier and gives you the primary purpose, block rate. And on even higher level mobs. But, yeah. Ochain can still be useful. Don't regret having it or carrying it.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-04-28 08:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I work with a guy named Duban. He's good at his job but he's a terrible coworker. Slowly drains the soul of everybody around him.

Guess it's in the name.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-04-28 11:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

get em all.
It's FFXI and SE's *** is legendary.
Duban might get nerfed and ochain buffed.
FU SE
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [205 days between previous and next post]
 Asura.Karppa
user: Karppa
By Asura.Karppa 2023-11-19 05:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Pld good with Aegis/Ochain I see no reason unless u hard core player to get it...but enjoy game I have spoken..
 Phoenix.Vespajava
Server: Phoenix
user: Vespajava
By Phoenix.Vespajava 2023-11-19 11:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cant find a good reason not to use it any longer. Its only been upgraded to 1M galli stage. The passives and stat vomit make it better defensively than Srivatsa/Ochain. I thought Aegis and Srivatsa were irreplaceable. Emp head(+2/3)/ Flume+1, and when the content isnt Gaol, I slip in to AF+3 for a smidge more return on the little dmg PLD takes to MP. Ochain is old hat. Shite stats but might be a practical piece if Duban is significant chunk of galli that you don't have at your disposal.